Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Cartoon posted:

I would happily contribute to a patreon or what ever to fund the home owner's legal expenses. That poo poo needs to stop.

Again rumor, but given PHILADELPHIA and all that entails I believe it. This would have been ... man, 2008 or earlier. I still had my old red phone that flipped open for the keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Boogalo posted:

We have our own truck eating bridge and yesterday it claimed 2 more victims so someone finally made a twitter account to keep track of them all. This is a good time of the year for the bridge since most leases cycle in July.

https://twitter.com/UVAcornerbridge/status/880804064723951618

11-8 has nothing on 10-0

ahahaha I used to live 5 miles from this bridge (now 20 miles, gently caress Charlottesville these days). I was always surprised more trucks didn't hit it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My car is low enough that the drain pan doesn't really fit between the oil pan and ground, I have to wedge it up in the right spot after I loosen up the plug. But I can still do an oil change without ramps or lifting the car since the drain and filter are right at the front. Sister's rav-4, mom's forester, dad's pickup I can all do it just by laying on the ground and reaching under.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
This may be more of an engineering (surveying?) failure than a mechanical failure, but this seems like an appropriate place?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Peigneur#Drilling_disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3nFLZIvbU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wesleywillis posted:

This may be more of an engineering (surveying?) failure than a mechanical failure, but this seems like an appropriate place?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Peigneur#Drilling_disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

Horrible Geographer Failure I think. ~170m difference in the two systems, and it's one of those things that so many people forget when they're planning drill holes. I have an entry in some of the documentation I've written for our exploration drill contractors that is basically CHECK THE loving PROJECTION in 72 point font across the page.

edit: in that note, Koolan Island Iron Ore Mine in Western Australia. Sadly I don't think there's any footage of the seawall being breached.

Before: view from the east. The top of the pitwall is single-digit meters above sea level.

After: from the south.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 2, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But that's not a failure though? According to wikipedia, they blasted the sea wall in order to fill the mine after they were done with it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

But that's not a failure though? According to wikipedia, they blasted the sea wall in order to fill the mine after they were done with it.
Probably should have read the rest of the paragraph you're talking about there.

wikipedia posted:

The pit will subsequently be dewatered in order to allow the rich ore reserves to be mined once again

The seawall was blasted in 1993, it was then dewatered and operations re-commenced in 2006 to take advantage of ridiculous iron ore prices. Then it failed in late 2014, and 200 people lost their jobs.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 2, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What was the point of filling it with seawater? Prevent it from becoming a closed, toxic lagoon?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

According to this article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-27/iron-ore-mine-to-reopen-after-building-of-koolan-island-seawall/8475854

They were supposed to start construction on a new seawall to dewater that again and re-open the mine. Cost to build the seawall and re-open the mine is $100 million, and they only project 3.5 years of production. Must get some nice money for the iron ore coming out of there.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

Ive never found a set of ramps that would take any of my cars. They have always been too steep and stuff has always caught on them as i tried to drive up.

Forgive me gravity god, I have sinned, but you can use several short lengths of 2x4s to get a car up onto ramps.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

What was the point of filling it with seawater? Prevent it from becoming a closed, toxic lagoon?

Yeah they want to stop it becoming like that lake that kills and dissolves all of those birds in Montana. Pyrite from the iron ore deposit breaks down in the water and turns it into a big pool of sulphuric acid.

As an aside, I think it's hilarious that the 2nd/3rd biggest mining company in the world (depending on how you judge it) is named after one of the most polluted rivers in the world.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah they want to stop it becoming like that lake that kills and dissolves all of those birds in Montana. Pyrite from the iron ore deposit breaks down in the water and turns it into a big pool of sulphuric acid.

As an aside, I think it's hilarious that the 2nd/3rd biggest mining company in the world (depending on how you judge it) is named after one of the most polluted rivers in the world.

It's not uncommon to name resource exploitation companies after the area they are exploiting so that's not quite the improbable coincidence it seems to be.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

BHP is named after Broken Hill, one of the more interesting places you can visit. Its not as bad as Coober Pedy tho!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Memento posted:

I love being downstream of that place. currently is doing nothing about the rising water level in the pit, and who knows what will be left of the EPA in another year or two.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

The Roman practice of ruina montium left some interesting landscapes.

I would name my mountaintop removal coal company “Ruina Montium”. :black101:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

They thought ceramic coating the down pipe would be enough to keep temps low, they were wrong. This was after 10 minutes on track.
From facebook

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ceramic coating to keep turbo hot pipe temps down..... sure.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

That looks like it could be from an exhaust leak.

But I get super paranoid about heat shielding after we had a car melt part of the wiring harness and toast the motor.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, uh this happened. Not sure how, I wasn't even on site, one of my co-workers found this:

That's an 1 1/8" discharge line on a 30 ton compressor. Not sure what happend, but the line ruptured, blasted the panel door off, lost like 80lbs of R22, and soaked everything in oil.
We're recommending a new condensing unit for them, but they want to try and run some new copper and see if the compressor is still good. At least we've switched to drop-in refrigerants, so it's not like $5000 just for refrigerant alone.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ExplodingSims posted:

So, uh this happened. Not sure how, I wasn't even on site, one of my co-workers found this:

That's an 1 1/8" discharge line on a 30 ton compressor. Not sure what happend, but the line ruptured, blasted the panel door off, lost like 80lbs of R22, and soaked everything in oil.
We're recommending a new condensing unit for them, but they want to try and run some new copper and see if the compressor is still good. At least we've switched to drop-in refrigerants, so it's not like $5000 just for refrigerant alone.

Can you open the line at the compressor and add more oil, then re-swage? What did they say about the compressor oil situation

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ExplodingSims posted:

I'll never forget the day we lost the charge on a heat exchange cabinet when it blew the ~250lb charge through the pump then out the silicone filled junction box. So much silicone and oil everywhere, took hours to clean up enough that we could move around without falling. Sadly the pictures were hosted on waffleimages a long time ago and are gone.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Elsa posted:

Can you open the line at the compressor and add more oil, then re-swage? What did they say about the compressor oil situation

Well, on big semi-hermetics like this one, there's a port a you can add oil into. You hook up a regular refrigeration hose, and you have pump the oil in by hand. Judging by the blast patterns there it lost a pretty good amount of oil though. Although in a case like this it's best to remove all the oil and start fresh, just incase it got moisture or whatnot trapped in it. Hopefully the oil pressure control kept it from running and seizing up though.

As far as line repair goes, you can't really swage a line that big. Everything is done with fittings and couplings, but it can be repaired.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, on big semi-hermetics like this one, there's a port a you can add oil into. You hook up a regular refrigeration hose, and you have pump the oil in by hand. Judging by the blast patterns there it lost a pretty good amount of oil though. Although in a case like this it's best to remove all the oil and start fresh, just incase it got moisture or whatnot trapped in it. Hopefully the oil pressure control kept it from running and seizing up though.

As far as line repair goes, you can't really swage a line that big. Everything is done with fittings and couplings, but it can be repaired.

Oh, okay cool. I guess I assumed the worst and thought they wanted to just patch it up and refill with refrigerant without addressing the oil.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Not mine.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nice carbecue

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bet that smells delightful.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What is was it? The fog lights have me thinking Dodge, but it's too melty for me to guess on a model.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 7, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What is was it? The fog lights have me thinking Dodge, but it's too melty for me to tell now.

Looks like a kia grille, but it could also just be a melted dodge one I guess

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
W.W. Was here

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What is was it? The fog lights have me thinking Dodge, but it's too melty for me to guess on a model.

Looks like a Kia Forte coupe. I didn't know they made a coupe version but that seems to be the only one with those fog lights.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ahem KOUP

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buhbuhj posted:

Looks like a Kia Forte coupe. I didn't know they made a coupe version but that seems to be the only one with those fog lights.

It was indeed a 2015 Kia Forte.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Buhbuhj posted:

I've only seen a handful of the sedans; almost every Forte I see is the coupe KOUP.

Any clue what caused the fire?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
One of my Jeep engine's valves decided that it wanted to be free of its shackles, seized up and busted the keeper in two :( Starting to tear it down in preparation of a proper overhaul.

There's two more on the left bank that have slipped a bit ( AMC V8 )

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
edit: wrong thread.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 8, 2017

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Aluminum block?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

moxieman posted:

Aluminum block?

T-1000 was trying to escape the fire

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Have a roasted rally car. Turbo oil line failed, they popped fire retardant way too late. Cost? about $150k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
"What are those whisker hoops in the 5th pic.... oh my god."