Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nothing. mueller is in control

the legal team he has gathered is ridiculously strong and grand jury stuff has been going down in the eastern va and new york courts. i think jersey too but w/e. the financial stuff has been ongoing in nyc and the russian stuff has been going through the rocket docket in eastern va

Yeah. From all accounts that I've read, it's basically the jurisprudence equivalent of the original Dream Team and is probably the most experienced and battle-tested prosecution team ever assembled. Lots of experience with money laundering, financial crimes, counterintelligence, and even arguing cases before the Supreme Court.

Yes yes, nothing matters, etc.; however, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of Trump's high-ranking lieutenants (Manafort, Kushner, Junior, etc.) end up being indicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

A lot of americans will bow their heads and say "it was gods will" and be ok with it

Inshallah

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mike pence is hosed btw. he knows it

I'll be surprised if he goes down. He's a party man, unlike Trump, and his real job from day one has been to stay clean enough to keep hold of the reins of power if/when Donnie implodes.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 14, 2017

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'll be surprised if he goes down. He's a party man, unlike Trump, and his real job from day one has been to stay clean enough to keep hold of the reigns of power if/when Donnie implodes.

I mean they're hoping he's clean enough to touch NASA space tiles

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I doubt Pence goes down for anything criminal. He might resign due to some highly embarrassing poo poo, but I don't see him being brought up on charges. And frankly, I think Paul Ryan will do less damage as President than he could do as speaker so I'm fine with that highly unlikely scenario.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
TBQH, if the tile had actually been that sensitive, it would have been in a clean room where people wear Tyvek suits instead of Brooks Brothers, and would have been put away before the boss was let in for his tour.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBQH, if the tile had actually been that sensitive, it would have been in a clean room where people wear Tyvek suits instead of Brooks Brothers, and would have been put away before the boss was let in for his tour.

Doesn't make the picture any less hilarious.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

mike pence is hosed btw. he knows it

Wait, why? I haven't heard anything about him recently besides lawyering up.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Godholio posted:

Wait, why? I haven't heard anything about him recently besides lawyering up.

he lawyered up because of the fbi focus on him being in charge of the transition team

plus him repeating over and over again that he knew nothing about flynn before sally yates told them isnt true

if he didnt know directly he was in charge of making sure they were throughly vetting everyone, so if he didnt know at that time (after wapo and nyt were reporting about it) then he didnt check poo poo

president paul ryan, ladies and gentlemrn.

or pelosi if it takes awhile and the democrats weekend at bernies themselves into a majority beforehand

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also thats just me regurgitating maddow so consider that my source

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A wild scenario where Pelosi gets handed the presidency would be hilarious. That would be the ultimate comeuppance for voting based on what "makes liberals mad".

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DHGC-AFfyo

heres the clip

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's fuckin Pelosi. After four years of her, middle America would install Cliven Bundy as President with the corpse of Saddam Hussein as his VP and never look back.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's fuckin Pelosi. After four years of her, middle America would install Cliven Bundy as President with the corpse of Saddam Hussein as his VP and never look back.

Do you want someone to be Nancy Pelosi's rubber stamp? *spooky music over milque toast dem candidate*

Or someone with Vision whose willing to stand up to LIBERALS and make YOUR VALUES HEARD? * Queue patriotic music and 9/11 montage* vote the corpse of Osama Bin Laden for your district rep.

Atlanta GOP candidates would be way more insufferable than they already are.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KildarX posted:

Atlanta GOP candidates would be way more insufferable than they already are.

But have you heard of General Sherman?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

There's not a day goes by where I listen to am radio here and go. "Maybe the Republicans didn't go far enough after Lincoln bit it. "

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

M_Gargantua posted:

I've heard he stopped short.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/883672723926523904

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Russian Tinder must be a-maz-ing.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Russian Tinder must be a-maz-ing.

yeah you just have to let them know upfront you're not a violent drunk and their panties drop

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Please let this lead into a wrestling match.

"Pootie, first you stole my heart, then you stole my wife. Will the oligarchy stop at nothing?!?"

*Trump strips down to a 'Murica singlet

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I tried to recap Donnie's tweetbarf that he just did, but it's so stupid that I just can't. Topics are Pootie, DNC, sanctions, and not believing Intel community. I know this is par for the course for TrumpTweets, but this is the best recap of the Putin meeting you're ever going to get, since it's all stupid, lies, or both.

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/884017048719728641

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/884019566271094784

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/884022080970170369

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/884027868220579840

This G-20 recap out of Australia has been making the rounds for it's bluntness and the really good point that the administration didn't even get a North Korea statement out of our allies. https://twitter.com/InsidersABC/status/883829926993862656

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
That's savage.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
U.S. officials say Russian government hackers have penetrated energy and nuclear company business networks

They didn't really get into the guts of those networks but are more just probing and gathering info

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They didn't really get into the guts of those networks but are more just probing and gathering info

I work with a bunch of smaller power companies and we were talking about this a couple weeks back. Hackers have been getting access to power companies administrative networks which contain things like their websites and corporate email accounts. These networks are completely separate from their SCADA network which is where all the critical infrastructure is located. Those systems are (or should be) completely isolated from the internet and communicate with each other through hard lines, microwave and cell service. The big issue is the hackers are attempting to cross that bridge by trying to target their efforts at the chief operating engineers and the like.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Delizin posted:

their SCADA network which is where all the critical infrastructure is located. Those systems are (or should be) completely isolated from the internet and communicate with each other through hard lines, microwave and cell service.

they're not. there was a site that i am not going to link that aggregated all of the machines it could find with VNC clients accessible via public internet with default credentials. among them were SCADA systems, and that's just one remote management tool.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Donal Trump posted:

Election hacking will be guarded and safe.

Well, at least he's honest for a change.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/884029003472003072

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
In the end it comes down to how seriously each location takes their information security. There are standards that they are supposed to be following and one is properly isolating their networks. With thousands of power companies across the nation, not all of them end up being competent.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It's more that security costs and so nobody invests what they need to. Isolated power plant networks are great, but your office network getting compromised can allow an attacker to forge credentials to get physical access

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

More and more the only way I think we'll ever get anything approaching decent cybersecurity is to start holding software "engineers" and IT professionals to the same rigorous standards we hold the engineers building the rest of our infrastructure.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Soylent Pudding posted:

More and more the only way I think we'll ever get anything approaching decent cybersecurity is to start holding software "engineers" and IT professionals to the same rigorous standards we hold the engineers building the rest of our infrastructure.

A lot of those people are the ones screaming about security issues right now. It's the bean counters that refuse to invest in security that are the problem.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Maybe if you hold engineers to that standard, them saying "I in no way certify this as secure because x,y and z" would make the purse strings loosen up a bit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Then you get a cybergrover who signs off anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nothing will change until a bunch of white people in the US die and it can't be blamed on something else.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I used to think that too, then Sandy Hook happened. Now I think we are destined to a mad max future.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

not caring here posted:

Maybe if you hold engineers to that standard, them saying "I in no way certify this as secure because x,y and z" would make the purse strings loosen up a bit.

I'm not sure this works. Social engineering is still a big problem with security so even if you took a system entirely off network, you could still be insecure because of people infiltrating your company, or being bribed, or what have you. Then if your computer is on a network you have all manner of penetration attempts that you can attempt to secure against, but against a state actor or really deep pockets it's about mitigation and restoration rather than keeping people out 100 percent.

If you're a civil engineer at least youre not held liable if a dude decides to bomb your building and your building falls over.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 9, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I don't know dick about cyber security but I used to be in software sales and no one ever wants to pay for the service contract or a security package

Than 3 years later you charge em 10x what the initial cost was for both to "secure" an outdated platform that has been patched or updated since the day your implementation team finished putting it in

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I used to think that too, then Sandy Hook happened. Now I think we are destined to a mad max future.

You can split the blame on guns and mental health, so yeah, I wouldn't have expected anything there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The President of the United States is for real talking about cooperating with Russia on sharing our nation's network security efforts holy poo poo what is happening and why is half the country overjoyed at this

• Locked thread