Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Horrors used to all be of the same faction and wouldn't attack each other, making it easy to throw an unmanageable number them at any province you wanted. Making them attack each other is a good change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Given how many ways there are to gently caress over the world, someone should make a Drakengard nation for Dominions.

:yokotaro: "So the national summon is a giant newborn with a bite attack."
:sweeden: "suuure, any custom pretenders?"
:yokotaro: "How about a colossal pregnant woman that makes you play a rhythm game?"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Draconians are a midgame A summon. You get 15 flying troops who are 'good enough' but ave high HP and a flying commander who can summon 1/turn for free. Overpriced for what you get, even then. Mostly useful for storming or holding forts. Obviously they were out-of-date 50 turns ago, but they can have a brief window of usefulness.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SirPhoebos posted:

Given how many ways there are to gently caress over the world, someone should make a Drakengard nation for Dominions.

:yokotaro: "So the national summon is a giant newborn with a bite attack."
:sweeden: "suuure, any custom pretenders?"
:yokotaro: "How about a colossal pregnant woman that makes you play a rhythm game?"

You'd also need the entirety of the Drakengard 1 cast as national heroes that can pop in randomly. Zero and her sisters might also do as custom Pretenders.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

You'd also need the entirety of the Drakengard 1 cast as national heroes that can pop in randomly. Zero and her sisters might also do as custom Pretenders.

If you include Nier as well then you can have mages that are flying grimoires, and national troops that are shades. Their backstory is hosed up enough to be random Dominions troops that die by the hundreds.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 102

Turn 102 begins like all the others. There were two interesting things to note in the magic phase. First, one of our Disease Demons had the opportunity to assassinate Bogarus’ super powerful Astral Starets once again:

Oh look, he has two Ether Warrior bodyguards now.

Didn’t pan out. Those Ether Warriors are seriously good bodyguards. We also get the battle report for this turn’s round of Greater Horrors thrown at the doom-stack army:

Suddenly, Greater Horrors manifest out of nothing and attack Bogarus!

They didn’t’ kill dozens of mages, but a couple fun things happened. One of Bogarus’ mages accidentally exploded an Astrapelagist that was carrying a Staff of Storms:

Say goodbye to Storm.

Also, the booster-wearing N4 Enchantress that had been used to cast Relief got hit by a stray Nether Dart bolt and killed:

End-game doomstack armies pretty much require Relief, it's an amazing spell for keeping your mages working.

Friendly fire!

So, a handful of mages died in exchange for 60 of our Blood Slaves casting spells. Not a bad trade.

Perhaps Horrors were in vogue this turn, as a couple of our Issacharite Sages encountered personal assassination events due to the Horror Marks their Lightless Lanterns had been applying over dozens and dozens of priror turns:

:ohdear:

A few turns ago I kitted a Vampire Lord with a Bottle of Living Water (free water elemental at start of every battle) and a Black Heart (turns any unit into an Assassin) and sent him into Bogarussian territory. I wanted him to Assassinate some of Bogarus’ powerful mages hidng inside of the horror-besieged fortress of Nom, but instead the Vampire just tried to assassinate a Lesser Horror:

I can't overstate how loving great Vampire Lords are. So versatile, and excellent in every role.

Alright, let’s check battles for the turn. The first of our battles was the storming of Bogarus’ fort in The Forgotten Woods. Our Vampires arrive on the field, ready to spam Hellbind Heart and looking to pick up a few free unique units.

Vampire Lords ready to Dominate some unique units!

They’re scripted to Attack for round one, in order to get them closer to their targets and ensure a successful range-check for Hellbind Heart:

In doing so they run into some stupid loving boars guarding the Treelord.

Rhuax, the Elemental King of Magma, incinerates some Vampires and a Lord with Falling Fires:

Oof! Vampires cannot stand against fire attacks, it's like a hot knife through butter.

For some reason on round two our Lords decide that the freespawn Boars that accompany the Treelord in battle were the most dangerous threat, and they blanket the Boars under Clouds of Death:

:waycool:

Rhuax hurls more firey destruction, but on round three Adam, the very first Vampire Lord we summoned so many turns ago, successfully binds the Elemental King’s soul to our service:

Burning!

...And success!!

The Treelord follows immediately after, and we end the battle with some powerful new servants. The Treelord even came with a Moonvine Bracelet (+1 Nature booster, nice) and a Ring of Wizardry (!!).

Fantastic haul! Rings of Wizardry cost 70 Pearls so this is an awesome bonus.

We catch a scouted battle report of Caelum successfully storming a Bogarussian fort, but taking a fair number of casualties in doing so:

We storm several of Pangaea’s forts in the provinces of Carnag and Omicria with negligible losses:

A couple dozen Centaur sages stand no chance against Vampires and Se'irim.

Massed Panni, though unscripted, manage to kill a few tens of Vampires before falling. We're deep in Pangaean territory and Dominion, so we permanently lose those Vamps. Acceptable loss.

We also stormed the fortress in the Throne province of Mark with our force of Golems + Buer the Demon Lord:

Good morning! :fyadride: Notice how we've formed our Golems into a box with Buer the Goat Sun sitting safe in the center.

The defenders spend their initial battle round buffing and then attacking several Corpse Candles on the periphery of the battlefield:

Shitloads of Hoburg bowmen, Pangaea's own Vampires, and Draconians.

The auto-summoned Imps fly over to start screening:

Wind Master mages hurl lightning at our Imp chaff, but it won't save them.

Buer casts Fire Storm, bathing the entire battlefield in fire at the end of each of our battle-rounds:

:tif:

The defending Draconians and Lesser Vampires cannot credibly threaten our tough Golems, and soon the flames burn away all resistance:

The Vampires fry over a couple rounds, but the Draconians are robust enough to hang around until they're mind controlled.

I love these Golems, I really do.

I noticed that Pangaea’s last remaining Global, Celestial Rainbow, disappeared this turn. I have no idea what brought it down, but we’re going to try and take advantage of it! We kit our new King of Magma out in Fire boosting gear, and he will be attempting to re-cast Eternal Pyre next turn. We could use the extra Fire gems to burn away Caelum’s new, undead armies in the near future.

What's this?

Meet our new friend Rhuax, now almost certainly the single most powerful Fire mage in the world. He only does one thing, but he'll do it very well.

So, what’s the plan for next turn anyway? Well, on the Pangaea front, we are making great strides in the North, closing in on Pan’s Throne province in Fever Fens. We’ll take that province and then move South, taking the Throne in Nethermark as well:

The Gathian Empire is poised to unite from East to West!

On our Southern border with Pangaea we just took the Throne province of Mark, and our army there is going to move South, deeper into Pangaea’s heartlands. It is a long shot, but Pan has a Throne -way- in the South-East corner of his Empire. If we could take it that would go a very long way towards making our Victory much easier.

We're merely pushing through unscripted crap down here, but it's still a slog.

We are going to attack Bogarus’ doom-stack, which is (unsuccessfully) sieging our fort in Boggiton. There are several components to the plan. First, we are once more hurling Greater Horrors at the army. The Horrors will attack first, alone, ahead of our own forces. In previous turns the Horrors have been very effective at triggering massive gem-usage. Now that the army is in our territory, enacting a siege, it cannot easily restock its gems each turn. The Horrors will, hopefully, cause some mages to burn enough gems in their first battle that they won’t have enough left over to cast important buffs in the real battle with our forces.

Second, we’re sending what I hope to be is a very tough army of Demons, Golems, Vampire Lords, and The Might of Zionism himself to attack what should be a weakened and unprepared Bogarussian army. The Might of Zionism and 10x Surge Pricing on Uber (bad god-name, bad!) will meet on the field in a truly titanic showdown!

We're sending

a very

large army.

Third, we are sending two very large forces of Vampires to attack the two Bogarussian-controlled provinces adjacent to Boggiton. These forces will put those provinces under siege, thereby cutting off the line of Retreat to the army in Boggiton. This -should- mean that when Bogarus’ army routs, all of the fleeing units will have nowhere to run and will simply die.

Here we go!

I am hoping to cut the head off of the snake. Scratch that. I am hoping to cut off the head of the snake, stomp it into a pulp, then stomp the writhing body of the snake into a separate blood pulp.

Let’s hope my scripting holds up.

Next turn: ????

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm totally invested in your eventual victory!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

I'm totally invested in your eventual victory!

Thanks friend! I'll be honest, we're sitting in a very solid position right now. The army we're sending to Boggiton is, I think, at least as powerful as Bogarus' own force. While the Bogarussian army certainly has more mages in terms of pure numbers, I think we have the advantage in terms of quality. Also, there's no question that our troops (Se'erim, Demon Knights, Storm Demons) are vastly superior to Bogarus' heavy cavalry.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

The Might of Zionism and 10x Surge Pricing on Uber (bad god-name, bad!) will meet on the field in a truly titanic showdown!

Except your god is going to do what I'd do in this fight, which is crap an army of rats and then run.

Is there any way for Ramc to have his mages save their gems in the first phase when the horrors attack but also use them in the second fight other than giving them a large surplus of gems? He has to know that's going to be part of your eventual attack. It would be interesting to see what happened if his mages had gems and were on script, but I guess that almost never happens for both sides in a big dominions fight.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Araganzar posted:

Except your god is going to do what I'd do in this fight, which is crap an army of rats and then run.

Wow, I can't believe anybody would impugn the honor of The Might of Zionism in this way, how truly rude.
Yeah I'm a very conservative player as a rule, and even now I can't help but not want my god to die from some misfortune.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Araganzar posted:

Is there any way for Ramc to have his mages save their gems in the first phase when the horrors attack but also use them in the second fight other than giving them a large surplus of gems?

hahahah nope

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Not really but kind of, yes.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Well...my understanding is that the AI will practice some discretion with gem use and will actually go off script if it feels that ordered gem use is unwarranted (to prevent a single scout triggering a doomstack into spending hundreds of gems on buffs), but the horror spam seems to be enough to overwhelm that threshold pretty reliably. If the doomstack's orders were altered in such a way that the horrors efficiently got wrecked in a couple of turns before the full might of the doomstack activates, then that would save a lot of gems, but then your orders are probably worse for fighting another doomstack when that attack eventually happens. Being beyond the pants-making GBS threads threshold for mages also seems to mean they will pour out gems like water if allowed to go entirely off-script.

Again, I don't play, but I can't think of any strategy that would guarantee conserving gems for the big fight without also making your army worse at fighting a big fight. I think at best you'd have to rely on some one-shot spells and hope that those are good enough for fighting the main army (...ignoring the fact that the majority of accurate one-hit-wonder spells are touch range and thus terrible ideas for ever using for anything). I could just be overlooking something, but I can't think of an approach that reliably ensures the doomstack can deal with both sizes of threat with the correct amount of force.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The latest Dominions 4 patch apparently fixed large game files crashing the server. Looks like that Armageddon wish is possible in the next Mo Money game.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Well...my understanding is that the AI will practice some discretion with gem use and will actually go off script if it feels that ordered gem use is unwarranted (to prevent a single scout triggering a doomstack into spending hundreds of gems on buffs), but the horror spam seems to be enough to overwhelm that threshold pretty reliably. If the doomstack's orders were altered in such a way that the horrors efficiently got wrecked in a couple of turns before the full might of the doomstack activates, then that would save a lot of gems, but then your orders are probably worse for fighting another doomstack when that attack eventually happens. Being beyond the pants-making GBS threads threshold for mages also seems to mean they will pour out gems like water if allowed to go entirely off-script.

Again, I don't play, but I can't think of any strategy that would guarantee conserving gems for the big fight without also making your army worse at fighting a big fight. I think at best you'd have to rely on some one-shot spells and hope that those are good enough for fighting the main army (...ignoring the fact that the majority of accurate one-hit-wonder spells are touch range and thus terrible ideas for ever using for anything). I could just be overlooking something, but I can't think of an approach that reliably ensures the doomstack can deal with both sizes of threat with the correct amount of force.

There is a strategy but it's not a very good one for, uh, reasons.

Basically, you double up on important mages, and you fly the second set into the province in the normal movement phase. This ensures that they still hold gems for any second battle in normal movement. Flying means their route in can't be cut. It doesn't work for castle storms, which is when you're most likely to face a double battle. It doesn't work if your opponent anticipates it and can successfully assassinate or otherwise engage the extras.

Of course, the problem is if you double up your best mages, then you might as well have a second doomstack.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, I hadn't thought of cutting the mages apart so that you can have some in reserve for the normal-phase battle, but as you point out, it wouldn't work for a castle fight.

...also there's the fact that it's some wacky gambit where you have to anticipate the exact turn the important double-fight is occurring without your opponent realizing that you know and/or figuring out your strategy, unless you're moving two separate flight-stacks in and out in alternation to avoid the off-turn, which also means committing extra forces to said wonky gambit and virtually guaranteeing that someone's not going to be present for the big throwdown. That seems a little bit dicey.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 19, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Finally we march towards toward the Final Battle and Ramc will be revealed to be a False God.

The humiliation of Ramc -- a goal I was never able to realize in the Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenge thread -- will finally come to pass in a Dom 4 thread.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Finally we march towards toward the Final Battle and Ramc will be revealed to be a False God.

The humiliation of Ramc -- a goal I was never able to realize in the Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenge thread -- will finally come to pass in a Dom 4 thread.

Having stepped very late into the game I will feel no shame if (IF) I lose.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The only person who should feel humiliation in this game is Afrosquirrel for abandoning it without going AI or even leaving his password so Pangaea could get a sub or be set AI. Everyone else has been great.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bogarus has no excuse for losing the late game:colbert:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Bogarus has no excuse for losing the late game:colbert:

In recent news, the Blood Kings of Gath have recently announced a birthday party, celebrating the third year of the Arcane Nexus. Word has it the casting mage, hidden away from prying eyes and crushed mentally from the paranoia that their next day could and should be their last, asked for a pony after minutes of rambling incoherently when asked about their accomplishment.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Mr. Locke posted:

In recent news, the Blood Kings of Gath have recently announced a birthday party, celebrating the third year of the Arcane Nexus. Word has it the casting mage, hidden away from prying eyes and crushed mentally from the paranoia that their next day could and should be their last, asked for a pony after minutes of rambling incoherently when asked about their accomplishment.

:perfect:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Matthew Arnold posted:

The Sea of Faith
Was once, too, at the full, and round earth's shore
Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furl'd.
But now I only hear
Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,
Retreating, to the breath
Of the night-wind, down the vast edges drear
And naked shingles of the world.

Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! for the world, which seems
To lie before us like a land of dreams,
So various, so beautiful, so new,
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hey friends, quick update for the LP schedule for the next couple weeks: I'm going on a vacation out of the country through the first week of July, so there will very likely not be any updates for the next two weeks. Ideally I would hope to get in one update each week, but I don't want to make promises.

So, regardless of whether or not we update while I'm away, I do commit to a robust update schedule when I return. We're going to wrap this LP up before summer's end, so hang on to your butts.

And I want to say Thank You to everyone who has read and enjoyed our trip up until now! Your support and expressed enjoyment has kept this going so far and we are going to see it through to the very end!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Way to leave us with a cliffhanger

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

titty_baby_ posted:

Way to leave us with a cliffhanger

Hey, at least he has a plan, instead of my dumb "Let's work the entire day, do 1-2 personal tech projects at home, end up completely exhausted"-poo poo, which is why I'm lagging over a dozen turns behind with my videos by now

(At least How are u's vacation means, that hopefully, I finally can catch up again.)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Enjoy your vacation!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The game is currently 66% off due to the Steam sale. You might like it and it's basically free.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: CNN presents: :frogsiren:

It's been a while, but I finally could squeeze some time out for another video:

Caelum Turn 87

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT_XvqPUxpU

If work or summer heat doesn't kill me, more will come soon!

This turn was mostly more of the same, but my southern offensive is now getting close to Ulm's old capital, now in the hands of Ramc and his evil Bogarussian nation. And since Caelum already got the capitals of Jomon and Mictlan, I immediately made plans to capture a nice third capital for my bird-people.

Older turns

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 25, 2017

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
This weekend we get an update, right?

Plus, I wanted to be the guy that broke a hundred (ok, 7) hearts when people see a "NEW POST" and it is not the update.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

drill press corps posted:

Plus, I wanted to be the guy that broke a hundred (ok, 7) hearts when people see a "NEW POST" and it is not the update.

Mission accomplished :smith:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
LP is dead, sorry friends. :(

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

How are u posted:

LP is dead, sorry friends. :(

RAMC will claim victory in a default judgement.

And a sweet mspaint.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Previously on Mo Money, Mo Problems!

How are u posted:

We are going to attack Bogarus’ doom-stack, which is (unsuccessfully) sieging our fort in Boggiton. There are several components to the plan. First, we are once more hurling Greater Horrors at the army. The Horrors will attack first, alone, ahead of our own forces. In previous turns the Horrors have been very effective at triggering massive gem-usage. Now that the army is in our territory, enacting a siege, it cannot easily restock its gems each turn. The Horrors will, hopefully, cause some mages to burn enough gems in their first battle that they won’t have enough left over to cast important buffs in the real battle with our forces.

Second, we’re sending what I hope to be is a very tough army of Demons, Golems, Vampire Lords, and The Might of Zionism himself to attack what should be a weakened and unprepared Bogarussian army. The Might of Zionism and 10x Surge Pricing on Uber will meet on the field in a truly titanic showdown!

We're sending

a very

large army.

Here we go!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 103

Turn 103 begins as normal. Our new Elemental King of Magma casts Eternal Pyre, and it sticks! We now control 4 of the 5 Global Spell slots. Bogarus’ Utterdark is still up, but It is working to our advantage so I’m in no rush to try tearing it down.

This is called Running Up the Scoreboard.

You can also see that Kushiel cast Wish. We just Wished for a second Seraph, who we will turn into a Master Enslave caster. Kushiel is too valuable to risk in combat against another player because he is carrying our Wrath of God global.

We also cast a bunch of spells at Bogarus’ army sieging our fort in Boggiton. Five Disease Demon assassins killed various unimportant mages, though one of them had the misfortune of targeting a Vampire Lord:

Vampire Lords still own poo poo, RIP Disease Demon.

We threw six Greater Horrors at the army during the magic phase, but the battle only resulted in a handful of kills, mostly chaff:

Not a fantastic ROI.

There’s really only one battle we’re interested in seeing, isn’t there? Last turn we ordered several armies to converge on Boggiton and attempt to sever the head of Bogarus’ military might in the Northern part of his Empire. This turn they arrived, and here’s what happened.

The remnants of Bogarus’ doom-stack wait on the defender’s half of the field. Even without their massive, ridiculous Communion the scores of mages in this army remain dangerous:

It's still a massive shame-cube of mages.

Here’s what we brought to the table:

Quantity and quality!

Legions of dangerous Se’irim make up the bulk of our troops. In the very front you can see our spearhead, a unit of extremely heavily armed and armored Demon Knights, ready to charge into Bogarus’ human chaff and, ideally, scatter them with their Fear. There’s also a detachment of Slaves of Belphagor up in the front, just to soak damage and fill in squares.

Flanking the Se’irim towards the rear of the troop formations are two other types of demons. There are two squads of Fiends of Darkness, which are one of the less sexy types of summonable demons. However, they have the Dark Power trait, and in Darkness their stats get a very considerable boost. Additionally, there are around 70 Storm Demons divided into three detachments, holding up the rear. They’re our artillery (they are very good at this).

Behind the troops stand the spell-slingers, and we brought a bunch of them:

There are a dozen or so Vampire Lords, whose job as always is to flood the field with skeletons. We brought a full corps of Golems ready to spam spells like Paralyze, Soul Slay, Stellar Cascades, and Solar Rays. The Golems are deployed in a hollow-cube formation, within which stands one of our Arel. She, and the Ivy King further back, will deploy battlefield buffs like Mass Regeneration and Relief. Two of our Arch Devils are also in attendance, here to cast buffs and summon Fire Elementals. Finally, The Might of Zionism himself has taken the field. We’ve brought our god for two reasons. First, it feels thematically appropriate. After all, 10x Surge Pricing for Uber, Bogarus’ god, is slithering around on the other side of the battlefield. Second, I want to try casting a battlefield spell that requires a massively strong Nature mage.

Bogarus, as defender, gets the first round, and his army begins to apply buffs. He never changed the scripting for his mages, so most of them waste the first round casting Communion Master. Sad! One of Bogarus’ Astral mages casts Doom:

For whatever reason when Doom is cast the sky turns purple for a moment.

This curses every single one of our units. Lame. Oh well.

We spend our first round casting buffs of our own. Harrying Bogarus’ army with Horrors for several turns was a great idea, because we get to throw down spells that he can’t any more, like Fog Warriors:

Once again, probably the single most powerful battlefield spell.

Mass Regeneration is one of my very favorite battlefield buffs.

The Might of Zionism spent the first round casting Army of Rats. Army of Rats is a battlefield spell that attempts to Shrink every unit in the enemy army. Additionally, it is supposed to apply some serious Morale damage. Our Great Black Bull does his thing:

Presto...

Change-o!

If you look closely in the very back, you can see Bogarus’ god fails his magic resistance check and gets Shrunk as well.

:D

Our newly buffed troops charge across the field, eager to meet Bogarus’ own chaff head-on. Our Storm Demons hurl Lightning, to great effect:

Adios, division of heavy cavalry :byewhore:

Here and there mages get gibbed as well.

Oh my god just give me All Of The Lightning! :gizz:

In round 2 the evocations start flying. Unfortunately for Bogarus’ mages, many evocations hit Se’irim and our B9 Bless reflects some damage back to the caster.

:rip: Enchantress.

Our army doesn’t really have mages throwing spells across the field, but on our second round we buff our forces further, casting high-level spells like Army of Gold. Take a look at the stat-lines of one of our fully buffed, fully enchanted Se’irim:

And of course Mass Regeneration stacks with our Regeneration Bless.

The tip of our spear, the Demon Knights, reach enemy lines and plunge into a big detachment of Bogarussian vampires and skeletons. The Demon Knights’ Fear is useless here, but they’re ferocious fighters nonetheless.

Charge! :hist101:

Bogarus’ Astrapelagists, having spent round 2 Summoning Storm Power, begin dropping Thunder Strikes into our troop formations. Thunder Strikes are powerful, and we lose some demons, but plenty of Astrapelagists are ripped apart by reflected damage.

The two lines engage fully, and a melee battle of attrition begins. It’s a slog, but we’re doing more damage and pressing forward inch by inch. Our troops, by virtue of superior buffs, also have more staying power:

Harder! Stronger!

The Lightning bombardment from the Storm Demons is relentless:

:vd:

Over many rounds of battle our troops chew and rip and tear their way through Bogarus’ divisions:

Clawing our way across the field.

Soon the Storm Demons are exhausting the last of their Lightning ammunition targeting mages:

:murder:

In the end, only a Paralyzed Pretender God remains. 10x Surge Pricing for Uber is ripped to pieces:

Laters.

Final tally:

What didn’t die fled, and, because of our successful simultaneous attacks in Escuania and Light Hills, we cut off Bogarus’ line of retreat. I’m probably 75% certain that retreating troops cannot retreat into a fort that is under siege, so everything that fled should also be: dead.

That was pretty much the end of organized resistance in the area. There are still a bunch of Starets and Firebirds sitting inside Bogarus’ capitol, and there are clusters of mages in other forts, but that was the one, big army. We’re going to move aggressively to exploit the new situation, and hopefully we’ll take Bogarus itself within a few more turns.

Now begins the Mopping-Up phase of the war.

The other war, more of a project really, continues to go well. We storm some Pangaean forts and put new ones to siege, moving ever closer to joining our Empire into a complete circle around the North half of the world. We’ll storm 3 forts in the North next turn, and then move on to take the Throne in Fever Fens.

I realized, suddenly, that one of our Southern armies was only 3(!) provinces away from Pangaea’s Throne in Jhira. We’re going to march that direction, and I don’t think there’s anything around that can stop us.

Holy poo poo, we're actually super close to that Throne!

So, Bogarus died this turn. There will probably be a few more fights, probably a glorious last-stand battle in the capitol, but this is where it ended. We’re also doing a great job of absorbing Pangaea’s Empire at a breakneck pace. Soon, I think, we’re going to want to attack Caelum. We’re going for Thrones, and the best way to keep Caelum from specifically trying to stop us, or to rush Thrones himself is to invade. Keep him busy at home so we can do what we want abroad, and that should hand us the Victory.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
:rip: the other players

I don't see how you lose this anymore.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

the Orb of Zot posted:

:rip: the other players

I don't see how you lose this anymore.

I do, but it banks on the number of units now being small enough to Wish for Armageddon without the engine making GBS threads the bed.

Even that wouldn't be enough - there'd need to be some Shenanigans involved - but without that Wish I think that might be game right there.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I guess they could each try to poo poo out a dozen wishes for more dominion and hope only Gath gets to eat poo poo from them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
How did you gain one frog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I guess someone got cruse of the frog princed and then charmed.

• Locked thread