Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That... was smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Massive save? Dude you're about spin ou—

:aaaaa:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I hope he wore his brown racing suit, jesus gently caress.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That'll get your attention.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Even loving Yacaman rolls a 20 now and again. Jesus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was gonna ask how the hell you nearly lose it through the Esses in a prototype but then I saw the traffic.

E: DTM was at the Norisring this weekend, always good for some carnage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBR7A2phYZI

njsykora fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 3, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seems Cindric has basically given up on pretending the Honda-Oreca DPi isn't coming:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/142056-penske-honda-dpi-program-nears-unveiling

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Honda wants to finish a race or die trying.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Honda wants to finish a race or die trying.

The only Honda that didn't finish at RA was due to crash damage, not engine. They also won.

(Also, this is HPD, which is behind the Indy engine, not Honda of Japan)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

HPD also won the IMSA race in GTD this weekend (nearly a 1-2) and Pikes Peak in class with their old TLX GT3. The only HPD products that have been flops lately were the ones with Nick Wirth aero designs (ARX-04b and the IndyCar aerokit), and they've thankfully stopped using him.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Montoya to the Penske DPi please.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I think its pretty much assumed that Penske is going to end up back at Le Mans with Montoya

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

What would we call that if he got a class victory? Tripleish crown?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The triple crown as I understand it is overall (so LMP1) victory but it's not an official thing so I'd be behind Montoya if he went in a Penske LMP2 for his Le Mans win.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Given how competitive LMP2 appears to be, I wouldn't begrudge him counting it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/GirlsLikeRacing/status/883400143994634240

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

She got fined €20k for posting that video for making the ADAC look bad.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Let's be honest, there's a lot of blame to go around here.

ADAC's F4 rules say under red flags you are to "immediately reduce speed and proceed slowly back to the pit lane." That obviously didn't happen, or I have a different concept of slowly than everyone else.

The argument that "the driver behind didn't slow down either" is nonsensical. Even in racing two wrongs do not make a right.

Is not seeing a red flag an excuse? I can't think it is; the moment the clerk of the course declares a red flag every team should be on the radio to their drivers to inform them.

The organizers are hardly blame-free; every driver briefing I've ever been to has gone over the expectations under yellow and red flags, the latter usually an instruction to reduce speed to at least 50% of race pace. (And there's nothing to be gained from exceeding this because you're not going to close up a gap since the race is being stopped and restarted.) So evidently ADAC needs to do a much better job of telling the drivers what the rules are and making sure they understand them before strapping in.

Finally, if it is true that the rescue vehicle drove on track without permission whomever made that decision needs a royal bollocking too.

All in all a poor showing all round. Thankfully no one was hurt or killed and hopefully this will be a learning exercise for all involved.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

ADAC's F4 rules say under red flags you are to "immediately reduce speed and proceed slowly back to the pit lane." That obviously didn't happen, or I have a different concept of slowly than everyone else.

The argument that "the driver behind didn't slow down either" is nonsensical. Even in racing two wrongs do not make a right.

Is not seeing a red flag an excuse? I can't think it is; the moment the clerk of the course declares a red flag every team should be on the radio to their drivers to inform them.

The organizers are hardly blame-free; every driver briefing I've ever been to has gone over the expectations under yellow and red flags, the latter usually an instruction to reduce speed to at least 50% of race pace. (And there's nothing to be gained from exceeding this because you're not going to close up a gap since the race is being stopped and restarted.) So evidently ADAC needs to do a much better job of telling the drivers what the rules are and making sure they understand them before strapping in.

Finally, if it is true that the rescue vehicle drove on track without permission whomever made that decision needs a royal bollocking too.

All in all a poor showing all round. Thankfully no one was hurt or killed and hopefully this will be a learning exercise for all involved.

It didn't look like a red flag had been displayed yet, or the marshal between her and the RV did not have a red flag available to wave. I can't really tell because the video is such poo poo quality.

Either way the RV isn't supposed to enter a hot track without the cars under control and either parked, or behind a SC.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 8, 2017

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

20k seems like a pretty excessive fine for a F4 race.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

drgitlin posted:

another car goes flying past her after she goes off track so if there were flags they weren't very clear

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

dentist toy box posted:

20k seems like a pretty excessive fine for a F4 race.

The first story I read on autosport said 5k, dunno where the 20k figure is from

If there were red flags and she flew past them then 20k is a great way to say "you could have killed someone you idiot, youre lucky we arent taking your licence".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

If there were red flags and she flew past them then 20k is a great way to say "you could have killed someone you idiot, youre lucky we arent taking your licence".

She said on her Twitter the fine was €20k. Apparently you can see red lights flashing 2-3 seconds before the truck comes into frame but I don't see it, even if they were flashing at that point it's way too late notice with the truck already going onto the track.
https://twitter.com/SophiaFloersch/status/883622491490582528

njsykora fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 9, 2017

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

Sophia tweeted 20k, the series then announced 5.

Whether that had anything to do with the reaction to 20 I don't know.

20k would be a great way to say that but the fine is specifically for uploading the video, nothing to do with anything that actually happened.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If RC hosed up the red flag procedures and didnt call the red flag and waited until after the near incident, or didnt brief track procedures properly prior to the race, theres going to be a lot of egg on ADACs face, especially over a 20k fine for a driver who essentially did nothing wrong and narrowly avoided a probable life-threatening accident.

That is, unless they did throw the flag and she hosed up and ignored it.

E: if ADAC says 5k, thats much more palatable. Its hilarious that there is a fine related to the video at all but eh.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 9, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Anyway speaking of Oscherleben shenanigans, there's going to be a TCR turn 1 happening in a few minutes. Looks like the first time in ages there's been a decent size grid for TCR International, 23 cars.

E: Oh man TCR are using the old turn 1 instead of the one that causes massive wrecks. They finally figured it out.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 9, 2017

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
JFC just retire that 90 car

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Taylor boys crashed again at Mosport, and took Tommy Milner with them. Pretty ugly wreck.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Can they repair that tire wall in 10 minutes?

fake e: I guess they can

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rubbin's Racin

:getin:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

:lol: rain with 3 minutes left

e: poo poo, prototype upside down

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 9, 2017

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Yikes!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Looks like the cockpit is intact...

e: He's out and walking, thank gods.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Yeah just a clumsy tire wall bounce

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That was a great race from start to finish. Pity the 85 made the wrong tire call, I was pullin' for them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Penske in with Honda.
https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/884774305577521153

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is my surprised face: :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Please don't gently caress this up Honda...

• Locked thread