Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I can't imagine why he kept burning even after several people tried to stifle the flames with their jackets and he was rolling on the ground. That kind of behavior is poo poo you'll see from folks drenched in accelerant or fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEl8PEsH4xQ

The roof of the stand had layer upon layer of bitumen felt weather proofing. There are accounts of it melting and running down onto people. That would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I can't imagine why he kept burning even after several people tried to stifle the flames with their jackets and he was rolling on the ground. That kind of behavior is poo poo you'll see from folks drenched in accelerant or fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEl8PEsH4xQ

The roof was coated in bitumen, and it's entirely possible that some of it had dropped on him. Also it's the 80s, there probably wasn't a non-synthetic fibre anywhere in his wardrobe.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

"Warning! The following show features stunts and demonstrations performed by professionals."

*idiots in their backyard film friend hurting himself, set it to dubstep*

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe they're professional idiots

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Their public business address is just the house they film at. You can identify it easily on Google Earth because the backyard is filled with junk.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

"Warning! The following show features stunts and demonstrations performed by professionals."

*idiots in their backyard film friend hurting himself, set it to dubstep*

Professional just means it's their job, not that they are competent :ssh:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, they're about at the physical limit of what you can pack into a chemically based system. Higher energy density will require a new/different technology.

Like maybe using a liquid which could be combined with a component of the air to produce useful energy.

I look forward to molten salt batteries in mobile phones.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember a Colombo episode where the killer mashed someone's skull in with a big block of ice and then tossed it in the swimming pool.

Wasn't this a short story? Woman bashes her husband's skull in with a leg of lamb then roasts it and serves it to the investigating police?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Memento posted:

Wasn't this a short story? Woman bashes her husband's skull in with a leg of lamb then roasts it and serves it to the investigating police?

That was "Lamb to the Slaughter", by Roald Dahl. Awesome story.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nerses IV posted:

One of the many fun things about boom lifts is they're not designed to handle the forces involved in arresting a fall, so if you tumble out while tied off there's a pretty decent chance the thing will tip and kill your rear end anyway. Levers are a bitch.

They need some kind of airbag that can expand around the end if it detects that it's tipping over. It's not perfect, but it could save lives.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

They need some kind of airbag that can expand around the end if it detects that it's tipping over. It's not perfect, but it could save lives.

Until someone gets the bright idea to fill the inflator with ammonium nitrate and an adulterant to make it a deflagrant because it's cheaper that way.

e: Or when the airbag triggers incorrectly.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 9, 2017

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

don't forget this classic

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Nerses IV posted:

They're using sonotubes? What motherfucker had the bright idea to stack toilet paper tubes on steroids 50 feet high

Additionally, lol what's a boom lift?
An artist
Previous installations at this museum were an indoor beach, and a giant ball pit.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That was "Lamb to the Slaughter", by Roald Dahl. Awesome story.

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lamb.html

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

VectorSigma posted:

don't forget this classic

Goddamn this is satisfying.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Electrical design tidbit:

https://youtu.be/zuPKYHSSnIw

This slow-motion video shows three bubsars (metal bars that carry electricity, probably a couple hundred amps nominally) with 50,000 amps going through them. While they don't melt or arc you DO see them whipping from the intense magnetic fields generated.

When we spec out equipment they list ratings for busbar bracing. Generally I've seen things like 40,000A, 65,000A, or 100,000A or more. Basically that says that in a fault the busbars are braced strongly enough to survive the magnetic forces for a short duration at that many amps. If you ever exceed that fault rating the busbars could tear themselves apart!

What's intesting too is the very first movements are much more exaggerated. I think that might have to do with the "subtransient reactance" of the system. Basically when the massive and asymmetric (not balanced between he phases) inrush of current starts you get a fraction of a cycle where the current flow is even higher than the sustained fault current. (You also see this when starting big motors.)

Edit: the whipping is even more intense in this test! Sacré bleu!
https://youtu.be/KagWdATPG-8

Edit: whipping and standoff failure of high voltage "pipe" conductor carrying 100kA
https://youtu.be/2j8D_N1v0tU

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 9, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

At the very end there is an undulating darkness behind the bars. Is that a camera fault, an electrical thing, or a portal opening to the dimension of the Old Ones?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Edit: whipping and standoff failure of high voltage "pipe" conductor carrying 100kA
https://youtu.be/2j8D_N1v0tU

I dont know if the stresses here or the DVMPEG DEMO are my favourite bits.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Facebook Aunt posted:

At the very end there is an undulating darkness behind the bars. Is that a camera fault, an electrical thing, or a portal opening to the dimension of the Old Ones?

I think that might just be a sheet of metal behind the busbars.

And hey at least that last video wasn't a camcorder pointed at a screen.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 9, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Electrical design tidbit:

https://youtu.be/zuPKYHSSnIw

This slow-motion video shows three bubsars

I thought said bulbasaurs and was very confused. Bulbasaur isn't even an electric type!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also there is one Zombie Go Boom video that does feature a recreation of a common OSHA problem: what happens if you land on your head after a 50-foot fall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qSJQT3Qn0

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Three-Phase posted:

Maybe some kind of parachute. Like they have on small planes, I once read somewhere that they are awesome.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

Until someone gets the bright idea to fill the inflator with ammonium nitrate and an adulterant to make it a deflagrant because it's cheaper that way.

e: Or when the airbag triggers incorrectly.

It warms the cockles of my heart that those problems began the exact month Takata started offshoring production from the plant that was across the street from my high school.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/gnCHdXa.gifv

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

doing your internal organs with crystals if that bag goes off

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Open casket funerals, after a minor front-end collision that normally wouldn't result in anything more than a sore neck, are bad for the guests' chi energy. He's just thinking of them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never really thought about it, what happens to the center piece that holds the airbag in when it deploys? Like even if it didn't have IEDecorations, wouldn't the plastic still go flying straight for her face?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I never really thought about it, what happens to the center piece that holds the airbag in when it deploys? Like even if it didn't have IEDecorations, wouldn't the plastic still go flying straight for her face?

They open like a flower or are scored on the inside in a way that it will flip out the way. However, there's no way whatever craft glue she used there stops those rocks from being flung at high speed into her face.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

It opens like a flap and stays attached on one of the four sides.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Turtlicious posted:

It has weak points that are designed to give way when the bag deploys, and similar strong points to keep the flaps in place. It pops open in a controlled manner, considering that the thing inflates with literal explosives* in a fraction of a second.

* commonly sodium azide which is incredibly toxic and undergoes "violent decomposition" when a sufficient amount of energy is applied to it, such as high heat or say an igniter/blasting cap.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, if you watch airbags deploy in slow motion you can see the cover separates in a controlled fashion.

I guess the good news for crystal dude is that most of the rocks would probably be ejected up or to the side by the cover flaps, but at the speed they'd be going it'd probably only take on hitting in the wrong place to kill you stone dead.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Obviously they need a jet ejection system.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

They open like a flower or are scored on the inside in a way that it will flip out the way. However, there's no way whatever craft glue she used there stops those rocks from being flung at high speed into her face.

Unless you have a Takata made airbag...

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mobby_6kl posted:

Unless you have a Takata made airbag...
I'm which case though, you'll definitely want some healing crystals around.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

It's only going to get worse.

Everyone loves dense energy storage, but imagine a battery 20 or 40 years from now failing.
Those systems will probably include integrated containment strategies.

Platystemon posted:

My hot take: batteries won’t be substantially more energy‐dense than they are now.
You literally have no idea what you're talking about. The average 18650 today is twice as energy dense as 5 years ago.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

evil_bunnY posted:

You literally have no idea what you're talking about. The average 18650 today is twice as energy dense as 5 years ago.

Average energy density going up is related to manufacturing processes getting better and cheaper over time.

The real question is, what is the difference between the maximum energy density of the absolute best 18650 (or whatever cell) from 5 years ago, compared to today?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

The average 18650 today is twice as energy dense as 5 years ago.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Is...is that the gay kid's dad from Glee and he is actually a mechanic?