Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also relatedly, the AI always refusing to surrender until 100% warscore seems to hurt the AI a lot more than the player. As a player if I find myself in an unwinnable situation I'll surrender as soon as the cards are on the table so I can start rebuilding my levies/coffers for whatever blowback comes from revolts or whatever. Especially if it's a minor loss.

The AI, though, will fight to the end. Take my byzantines vs seljuks thing, I'll declare war for one seljuk county. 40k vs 40k levies, two decent rulers with a good bank account, a fair fight. Luckily I'm a human so I smash the seljuk armies in a few battles, now I'm sieging the province I want and it's 30k vs 10k levies and the seljuks are frantically hiring mercs.

Pretty soon the writing is on the wall and it's just a matter of sieging more land or waiting out the ticking warscore. For the player it's tedious, but meanwhile AI seljuks are bankrupting themselves, pissing off vassals, grinding down their dwindling levies, and getting dynasty members killed in futile fall-of-berlin-style battles of 5k vs 20k. When 100% finally comes, instead of a minor setback from some dead troops and a small loss of land and prestige, there's a bankrupt 3-year-old sultan whose guts every vassal despises, probably being invaded by some opportunistic third parties. A small defeat instead turbofucks the seljuks forever and the player can steamroll them for several decades if they don't implode.

I love this game but sometimes it gets simultaneously too easy and too tedious, especially as a king/emperor.

Another problem is that wars only have the three outcomes without any way to negotiate more appropriate settlements, or in the case you describe expand your war goals as things go more your way (which would make that desperation much more appropriate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also relatedly, the AI always refusing to surrender until 100% warscore seems to hurt the AI a lot more than the player. As a player if I find myself in an unwinnable situation I'll surrender as soon as the cards are on the table so I can start rebuilding my levies/coffers for whatever blowback comes from revolts or whatever. Especially if it's a minor loss.

The AI, though, will fight to the end. Take my byzantines vs seljuks thing, I'll declare war for one seljuk county. 40k vs 40k levies, two decent rulers with a good bank account, a fair fight. Luckily I'm a human so I smash the seljuk armies in a few battles, now I'm sieging the province I want and it's 30k vs 10k levies and the seljuks are frantically hiring mercs.

Pretty soon the writing is on the wall and it's just a matter of sieging more land or waiting out the ticking warscore. For the player it's tedious, but meanwhile AI seljuks are bankrupting themselves, pissing off vassals, grinding down their dwindling levies, and getting dynasty members killed in futile fall-of-berlin-style battles of 5k vs 20k. When 100% finally comes, instead of a minor setback from some dead troops and a small loss of land and prestige, there's a bankrupt 3-year-old sultan whose guts every vassal despises, probably being invaded by some opportunistic third parties. A small defeat instead turbofucks the seljuks forever and the player can steamroll them for several decades if they don't implode.

I love this game but sometimes it gets simultaneously too easy and too tedious, especially as a king/emperor.

Yeah, it's probably the biggest reason I've finished like, two games overall (aside from late-game lag).

Almost every time you crush an enemy kingdom you can guarantee there's at least one major revolt that means they're usually barely recovering by the time the 10-year timer runs out. If you have a 5 year timer, you can just crush them while they're still fighting rebels.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's not just against the player though, 95% of the time even in AI vs. AI wars, even if it's lopsided and obvious who's going to win and any player would immediately surrender to preserve their levies, the losing AI will insist on waiting until warscore is over 80% to surrender (see: the standard HRE helping itself to Gent on Day 1 of any 1066 start and France usually subsequently imploding)

e: a human playing the king of France in the 1066 start will swear fealty to the HRE ASAP

e2: if you're not in ironman, the 1066 start can actually become really interesting if you console to the Kaiser, console yourself the requisite money and piety, create and dole out all the vassal kingdoms except your own (Germany), then console to the Basileus, console yourself the HRE title and destroy it, then console back to whichever character you're playing. Someone in this thread called my attention to this option a year or two ago and I've played a few games with that start, and they've been fun.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 7, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really, really really really really REALLY wish there were more alternative starts. Alt history, between the earlier ones, whatever.

The later ones just, feel so same-y? I end up creating all my own scenarios most the time I start playing and then just end up watching that all explode rather than actually play

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I picked this up during the Steam sale after reading a couple hilarious and awesome LPs. So far I'm having a loving blast. Farthest I've made it is 4th generation Irish King. A few funny things that happened in various games:

One game my king got killed and the only heir had just been born. Queue 16 years of simulation mode with Regents randomly changing every so often. When I became of age, I was certainly no longer king.

Another game my heir had a strong, nearly 30 year reign. Too bad at the end of it, he was ill, depressed, infirm and maimed and still managed to survive another year before I died.

And my most recent game... I modeled my playthrough after CapnAndy's LP. I managed to get a ubermensch grandson with great traits, great stats, quick, grey emissary. He was in the hole for prestige, so as my current king was aging, I granted him a couple baronies so he could get some prestige going before taking over. My king dies, he takes over, everyone loves him, and I realize that 1) when I gave him baronies I was no longer raising his son. His son is a mongoloid with middling stats and a bad education trait. And 2) I noticed he could 'advance to the next level of his society'. Society, what the gently caress is that? My ubermensch son joined the cult of satan once I cut him loose!. He died within 10 years at the ripe old age of 35, presumably from consumption by the dark lord. Now his son is king, and the king's 5 half-uncles all hate him, as well as every single vassal and every single council member :rip:

Had a question about non-heir daughters though. What do you do with them? Do you just marry them off to form an alliance you can invite the husband's country into? You can't use them to get claims for the future, correct? Is there anything wrong with just keeping them in court if they're not a risk (not ambitious, deceitful, etc)?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Is there anything wrong with just keeping them in court if they're not a risk (not ambitious, deceitful, etc)?

Sometimes you want to murder all their male relatives so they inherit instead :v:

I did that at one point because I had a Strong Genius girl with amazing base stats at nearly the bottom of my inheritance tree. I wasn't just murdering; sticking people on as incompetent spymasters, sending people to be tutored in plague-lands and denying them treatment, etc etc. I think like ten children died :shepface:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 7, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish there were more "press all claims" options. I like being the byzantines in 1081but I hate slooooooooooowly warring/trucing/warring for a bajillion years to get Anatolia back. After one or two wars Rum is done in but you can take at most one duchy at a time, and if they end up with random holdings within your land or losing/gaining solo provinces elsewhere then those all take an individual war. And all this after you've already smashed their poo poo in three+ previous times. I feel like you should be able to claim an amount of war goals depending on your size.

Count of Bumfuck spends all his resources occupying a place so he can only take one CB per war, whereas a giant realm with decent stability can stack several similar war goals since they have the resources to take it all. Probably limit it to one holy war per but stacking claims/imperial reconquest/de jure CBs at some cost, please. Maybe an income/levy malus for exponential time as you stack goals and win, since you've presumably got to occupy those places. Also your vassals will be mad unless they get pieces of the pie so no taking it all for yourself or dishing it out solely to ideal landless content courtiers unless you want people getting pissed.

Gotta think of the flip side - if you're Megaduke of Bumfuck and you're just down the road from the Abbasids, them having to conquer you in two or three Holy Wars rather than combining them in one gives you time to come up with some way of dealing with them and ensures you don't hit game over the instant a big blob casts their gaze your way. Making sure the biggest player on the block can't just gobble up opponents over a certain size in a single war tends to be a staple of Paradox war systems.

Claims, at least, you can stack if one person has multiple claims against another person - I've seen a "Press All Claims" button in that case.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Gotta think of the flip side - if you're Megaduke of Bumfuck and you're just down the road from the Abbasids, them having to conquer you in two or three Holy Wars rather than combining them in one gives you time to come up with some way of dealing with them and ensures you don't hit game over the instant a big blob casts their gaze your way. Making sure the biggest player on the block can't just gobble up opponents over a certain size in a single war tends to be a staple of Paradox war systems.

Claims, at least, you can stack if one person has multiple claims against another person - I've seen a "Press All Claims" button in that case.

They have to be strong claims, actually, which are frustratingly rare to get thanks to the random nature of fabricating claims if you're not fighting relatives.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I think if multiple weak county claims could be condensed into a weak claim on a duchy, and likewise for kingdoms, that'd help. It wouldn't be quite so annoying to have to gobble your de-jure territory up a county at a time, then.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

They have to be strong claims, actually, which are frustratingly rare to get thanks to the random nature of fabricating claims if you're not fighting relatives.

After seeing how EU4 handles claims CK2's method just feels really arbitrary, you're right. If your goal is to blob you need to be ready to expand in several directions and/or usurp titles.

There's a mod in the Steam workshop that lets you just buy claims (with gold) if that's something you're interested in. I haven't tried it but per the help text claims are pretty expensive so it's not really a cheat mod.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They are adding that feature in the next update

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I need a fun starting character where my eyes don't glaze over and I quit after 10 minutes like usual

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Had a question about non-heir daughters though. What do you do with them? Do you just marry them off to form an alliance you can invite the husband's country into? You can't use them to get claims for the future, correct? Is there anything wrong with just keeping them in court if they're not a risk (not ambitious, deceitful, etc)?

Invite people with desirable genetics to your court and then matrilenially marry them to your breeding stockdaughters.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
This game crashes for me now on launch. RIP CK2

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Well, I finally got that empire title.

Wound up playing a mediocre and ageing queen in the late 1300s, but through conquests and such had gotten up to 5.3k prestige and a fair bit of gold. I realised I could used all those un-formed duchy titles I was sitting on to convert 100 gold to 200 prestige a pop, plus form the Kingdom of Brittany, which I'd just sort of forgotten about. Did so and got within 400 prestige of the necessary 8k.Picked a fight with a weakened England over some Welsh counties I had a de jure claim over and that put me over the line, just white peaced it as soon as I cleared 8000. By this time my vassals were all super mad at me because I was holding like 9 ducal titles and to add insult to injury, had a uterus.

Pretty much as soon as I had formed the empire, I got a popup for cancer and had the "balls to the wall" option avilable from my not-terribly-competent physician. She was already missing a leg and in ill-health, so I knew she was not long for the world of 1398. Realising this for the blessing in disguise that it was, I destroyed all those ducal titles I'd just created (by this point my vassals' incandescent rage towards me could have irradiated the whole map), gave physician the green light, and croaked.

My mediocre son inherited the empire and none of the hate for his predecessor's game-y maneuvering, but did inherit the queen's wars (one for Gavelkind, one or two independence, and I think another to put an uncle on the thone). I beat all of them down at great cost, but managed. Then I got hit with a powerful faction demand to put my Quick younger brother on the throne. I just clicked yes assuming that meant I'd play as him (not making that mistake again), and damnit, now he's got my built-up capital and I'm in my worst holding. He immediately boated off for what looked to be an attempt at suicide by HRE, I still held King titles for Scotland and Ireland and had plenty of levies, so I declared war against him and won back the empire.

Arsehole is in my jail but I can't revoke Dublin from him without making everyone mad, and I'm about to lose another goddamn Gavelkind war as my treasury is depleted and my vassals are all salty that I've spent the better part of the last decade rampaging up and down the British Isles with their levies. Good stuff though.

Questions for next time:

-How can you gauge strength of sides in a Crusade and/or get an idea of how much sense it makes to jump in? I savescummed to see how doing one would go, and I showed up in the Middle East only to have my 18k dudes get curbstomped as soon as they disembarked. Didn't look like anybody in Christendom had my back, I just reverted and ignored it as I normally do. I would like to try and mess around with them in the future though.

-Going tall vs wide: how do you guys like to set up your ruler's demesne? I sort of did a hybrid approach (held all of two duchies in Ireland, and two additional castle holdings in Dublin), but felt far from sure it was the best way to do it. Should I go taller in my capital, or give those out to vassals and try to sit on more counties?

-Does anyone else give generations of a dynasty theme names? I use television shows/movies, cities in a particular country/state, types of animals, alcoholic drinks, etc.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

-How can you gauge strength of sides in a Crusade and/or get an idea of how much sense it makes to jump in? I savescummed to see how doing one would go, and I showed up in the Middle East only to have my 18k dudes get curbstomped as soon as they disembarked. Didn't look like anybody in Christendom had my back, I just reverted and ignored it as I normally do. I would like to try and mess around with them in the future though.

-Going tall vs wide: how do you guys like to set up your ruler's demesne? I sort of did a hybrid approach (held all of two duchies in Ireland, and two additional castle holdings in Dublin), but felt far from sure it was the best way to do it. Should I go taller in my capital, or give those out to vassals and try to sit on more counties?
-I don't bother sending a large force to a Crusade unless I'm confident I can defeat potentially the entire Muslim world's combined forces. Even so, it's worth it to send off a small force or two commanded by you/your heir to the target to pick up the Crusader trait and then immediately leave. Maybe also large vassals as commanders for the relationship boost, but I'm wary of giving those bastards any positive traits if I'm running elective.

-As many holdings in one county is almost always the best bet. Having personal holdings spread all over is a hassle to manage. Having one held duchy also allows you to hold a second duchy for a while until you can give it to one of your sons or some other guy later on without incurring the -10 opinion penalty.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Depending on how lucky you get with Reaper's Due events, you could end up with 7 holdings in each county you hold. With that in mind, it's probably easiest to just hold a single 2-county Duchy full of castles.
I got really loving sick of pissant megadukes asking if they could have one of my castles to give to their sons, though. Build you own, you degenerate scum.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Decided to have a go as poland in the 1066 start and man I waited abit to get money to conquer the pagans to the north at whichi point everyone revolted against me

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

DisgracelandUSA posted:

One useful thing you can do with spare girls is to marry them for non-aggression pacts with your powerful vassals to make them leave factions permanently. Whenever possible, I like to leave a couple daughters/granddaughters available for my heir to marry off after succession since that's when you're most vulnerable to new factions. And you can always just matrilineally marry them to try to breed for claims/traits.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ideally you want to put your capitol in the largest duchy possible and hold all the counties within it, and from there, have multiple castles in the capitol to take advantage of the buffs from your marshal and steward.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

After having to abandon a couple of games because my characters just wouldn't have kids I started in ireland again and my first heir i'm now in control of has 7

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I need a fun starting character where my eyes don't glaze over and I quit after 10 minutes like usual

Count of Dublin, 867. Succession is secured with three sons, you get to play in the viking murder-dome of Britain, Ivar has your back and if it all goes to poo poo with everyone in your immediate family dying, you inherit a big chunk of Norway.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Just posting this to vent my frustration. I spent nearly 200 years possessed, got rid of it, then a fever 25 years later gave me lunatic. Shortly thereafter, it blossomed to possessed. I just want my character to spend the last 100 years happy and healthy, but he gets sick for a century, then gets over it and gets sick again within five years, too. I also have nothing more I want to conquer and my holdings are all in order, so I have ~70K gold, I would love to spend 10K to just get rid of a trait. It's Ironman and I just hit 1353 from the 769 start so I'm thoroughly excited to see the end of this run.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

jfood posted:

Count of Dublin, 867. Succession is secured with three sons, you get to play in the viking murder-dome of Britain, Ivar has your back and if it all goes to poo poo with everyone in your immediate family dying, you inherit a big chunk of Norway.

He's a fun one, but you'll be permanently sieged for the first few years of the game.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

If you raise your levies right away, all the smaller Irish armies bypass you and to gently caress off to Mercia so they can get dunked on, then you can pillage churches to your hearts content. You need a good martial roll on character generation though, around 800 or so troops usually does the trick.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

That's some young looking 57-years-old guy, it seems.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Quick question: Playing as Ireland, 1066 start. RAW/CK+ mods on. After creating the kingdom of Ireland, I now have a 6th council slot, the "Advisor." When I try to fill it, no one is available from the pick list. I have a huge court, and tons of vassals, so what gives?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Quick question: Playing as Ireland, 1066 start. RAW/CK+ mods on. After creating the kingdom of Ireland, I now have a 6th council slot, the "Advisor." When I try to fill it, no one is available from the pick list. I have a huge court, and tons of vassals, so what gives?

Yeah, this is a bug with the CK2+-compatible RAW, unfortunately. I brought it up with the mod author but I doubt it'll be fixed anytime soon. :(

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, this is a bug with the CK2+-compatible RAW, unfortunately. I brought it up with the mod author but I doubt it'll be fixed anytime soon. :(

Good to know. Thanks!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Thanks for those tips!

I thought I'd try 1066 King of Scotland start, but got wiped out within two years. I remembered reading here that there are some feudal holdings in 769 start, so for something different I picked Petty King of Northumbria and things have been going gangbusters so far. My attractive dwarf ruled for like 50 years became King of Northumbria, and has been steadily hoovering up English counties from the various fractured duchies. I've moved my capital down to London and have been investing in building it up.

OFC my heir converted to Catharism so I kept trying to maneuver him into dying, fortunately I managed to fly under the holy war radar until he got smallpox.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That was a rookie mistake because Catharism is awesome

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Eric the Mauve posted:

That was a rookie mistake because Catharism is awesome

:frogon:

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Uh, yeah, do go on about catharism. And other cool heresies I never bothered to learn about.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Cathars can have women on the counsel, as well as generals and bishops. I think it also negates the 'heir is female' and 'is a woman' affinity maluses for your vassals. All church taxes go into state coffers because there's no head of the religion... I think, maybe you can install a Cathar pope, but that's a long time off from conversion.

You can always have the person with the best stats doing what they're best at, but you'll need it cuz it's the loving end times with how often you're gonna get holy wars declared on you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Cathars cannot have a head of religion, but you can install a Fraticelli pope.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
And the reason to have a Fraticelli pope is if you're King of Italy or Sicily and aren't yet in position to form an Empire, so you can have a vassal pope who will give claims on your vassals for nice vassal management.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm king of ireland now and i think leon have started war with me despite being in spain and it means that every so often i have to raise levy's to deal with the 150 soldiers who turn up. When i click on leon though I get no offer peace option

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

would help if this was the right thread :downs:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 9, 2017

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Jose posted:

I'm king of ireland now and i think leon have started war with me despite being in spain and it means that every so often i have to raise levy's to deal with the 150 soldiers who turn up. When i click on leon though I get no offer peace option

There is another Leon in Brittany, the westmost France duchy. That guy probably has claims on your things. I made the same mistake when I played Ireland.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think you should be able to click the tiny war indicator on the bottom right to discuss terms?

As long as your enemy isn't getting up to any Viking raids anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
You can but in practice the AI is extremely reluctant to give up on wars. For a surrender you basically have to get to 100% warscore and if you're beating them enough for that why bother with a white peace.

• Locked thread