Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

AnacondaHL posted:

Hina Logi is surprisingly charming, if you're into that. The teachers are awesome and the post-credits sequence with them after each episode owns.

So far the teachers have been the only part i've much liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Homura and Sickle posted:

i watched the first episode of hina logi and it seemed painfully generic magical girl poo poo tbh. good art design tho
weirdly there's almost no magical girl stuff since episode 1, it's more a slice of life show that happens to take place in magical girl school

ep 3 is much better than the first two, we'll see if it can keep that up

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 9, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Why don't you like mahiro... blhue wtf??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the first two episodes were pretty meh but episode 3 was genuinely amusing so we'll see how it goes.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

an actual dog posted:

After all this buildup I'm gonna be disappointed if Made In Abyss isn't a constant gauntlet of horrifying things.

It not "cute things, adventures and pretty landscapes until the story turns dark". The horrifying stuff happens and it still manages to go back to cute adventures. And this repeats multiple times.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It helps to have a fluffy bunny friend you can rub and mofumofu when times are tough

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Made In Abyss!

Who is doing the music for Made In Abyss? Is it Yoko Kanno? I'm going to look this up, hold on.

Miyu Tomita sings it.... and it's composed by Kevin Penkin? I can honestly say I've never heard of him.

anyway, Made In Abyss!

Shoukoku no Altair seems okay. Anime Turkey VS Anime Holy Roman Empire is a weird subject but I'm willing to see where it goes? Boring music.

Vatican Kiseki Chousakan seems like it has promise to be the Christian X-Files anime I didn't know I wanted. I kind of hope a nun joins the main investigative duo for humor or something.

Saiyuuki Reload Blast reminds me of early eps of Ushio to Tora so that's cool - hopefully they'll layer in more lore and stuff as it goes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kevin Penkin's done music for otome games, a few obscure RPGs, and is kind of a protege of nobou uematsu (they've worked together like six times and he made his debut entering his work into contests ran by uematsu). Think this is his first time composing for an anime.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Dunno if it counts, since he did the game first, but he did the music for https://myanimelist.net/anime/31452/Norn9__Norn_Nonet

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I liked Quiz Test: Fingering Rapidly a whole bunch.

The main girl kiiiiiiiiiinda sounded like the main girl from Koe no Katachi.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

kater posted:

I liked Quiz Test: Fingering Rapidly a whole bunch.

The main girl kiiiiiiiiiinda sounded like the main girl from Koe no Katachi.

Not sure if you're meaning to say she sounds deaf. In either case, she's one of those idol/actress girls who's waltzed in to do a bit of voice acting, I guess. The blogs have gleefully been calling it the worst acting in years, but she actually made a brief debut way back with Star Driver.

(On the other hand, Saori Hayama, who acted in Koe no Katachi, is arguably the best of her generation.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

darkgray posted:

Not sure if you're meaning to say she sounds deaf. In either case, she's one of those idol/actress girls who's waltzed in to do a bit of voice acting, I guess. The blogs have gleefully been calling it the worst acting in years, but she actually made a brief debut way back with Star Driver.

(On the other hand, Saori Hayami, who acted in Koe no Katachi, is arguably the best of her generation.)
Saori Hayami loving rules (also Wako rules, since you mentioned Star Driver). Newest Kakegurui is off the loving hook, by the way.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the made in the abyss soundtrack is the worst i've heard since sweetness and lightning and the quiz show girl was good

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i have zero clue what the context for comparing those 3 shows is

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

i have zero clue what the context for comparing those 3 shows is
He's currently watching/following those two shows while referencing a third one from last year, using supposedly bad soundtrack as a comparison point. While also having a former best girl as an AV. Seems pretty straightforward.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Davincie posted:

the made in the abyss soundtrack is the worst i've heard since sweetness and lightning and the quiz show girl was good

what the gently caress

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i like how delightfully dickensian made in abyss is. "your parents died toiling in the depths of this horrendously dangerous pit: you kids had better honor their names and work hard for us in the death pit as well."

other things i liked: the older boy who was in charge of the younger workers seems okay, more interested in being a liason with the adult taskmasters, instead of taking it out on his underlings. also, i like how reg's limbs constantly clanked whenever he moved around

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Wark Say posted:

He's currently watching/following those two shows while referencing a third one from last year, using supposedly bad soundtrack as a comparison point. While also having a former best girl as an AV. Seems pretty straightforward.

no i just couldnt parse the two separate thoughts at first and thought he was comparing the OSTs of all 3

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Katsugeki! Touken Ranbu is the best show about time-travelling swords and Dutch steamships you'll watch all summer. Also, the time-traveling swords all look like pretty boys, and there's a talking fox-like creature whose main job seems to be looking up historic facts on Wikipedia. Fujo-bait weaponry aside, it's all very generic, from the character designs and personalities of the main cast to the glowing-red-eyes-engulfed-in-black-smoke monsters. It's also clearly based on a video game, with a very obvious line between plot scenes and fight scenes (in which enemies literally spawn from the sky). I watched the first two episodes, and while they weren't terrible, I already feel like I've seen everything this series has to offer.

18if's first episode was terrible. I got the feeling that the show really wants to be capital-A "Art", and so it'll throw everything it's got at you from the very start: A strange dream world with absurd inhabitants, wonky camera angles, psychedelic colors, and a whole bag of visual tricks to try to convince you that this is good and deep and relevant. The problem is that the show has neither the artistic vision nor the budget to make any of it stick, which results in a disjointed mess of uninteresting characters with badly timed dialog talking over ugly 3D backgrounds. Maybe the other directors will do a better job, but this series already felt like it tried to bite off way more than it could chew.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Davincie posted:

Phobophilia posted:

what the gently caress

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, Cheap Diner! Hadn't seen you in a while. :)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Space Flower posted:

It helps to have a fluffy bunny friend you can rub and mofumofu when times are tough

This is a good plan.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Knight's and Magic follows genre conventions to an insulting degree. The first episode was like a plot outline in that each character gets a few sentences to mark their purpose to the narrative, then the plot moves forward to the next isekai beat.

The characters get put in life threatening situation at the end of episode 1. I'm quite curious to see how flat the drama falls given that each character is currently a cardboard cutout.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

brainwrinkle posted:

Knight's and Magic follows genre conventions to an insulting degree. The first episode was like a plot outline in that each character gets a few sentences to mark their purpose to the narrative, then the plot moves forward to the next isekai beat.

The characters get put in life threatening situation at the end of episode 1. I'm quite curious to see how flat the drama falls given that each character is currently a cardboard cutout.

I don't know what possessed them to compress, cut and edit 7.5 chapters of the manga into one episode, I really don't have much hope of the rest.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm really digging Made in Abyss. The art/animation is gorgeous and the story, at least one episode in, is intriguing.

And holy poo poo the music is fantastic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wark Say posted:

Newest Kakegurui is off the loving hook, by the way.

Kakegurui is superb, and I can't wait until we get to a certain arc that I hope gets the same level of treatment as the Kanon arc from God Only Knows.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to stop reading Kakegurui after the first chapter because I honestly wanted wanted the anime to surprise me. So far, the anime has left me with a combination of :stonklol: and :hellyeah:

I'm guessing Saori Hayami is having the time of her life voicing Yumeko.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Jigoku San posted:

I don't know what possessed them to compress, cut and edit 7.5 chapters of the manga into one episode, I really don't have much hope of the rest.

To get to the robots faster, of course.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The sweetness and lightning soundtrack was bad? I only remember the very good :same: song

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
princess principal aired today, don't think it's streaming anywhere but there's a raw out if anyone's interested in giving it a look, which i guess i'll

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Burbo posted:

The sweetness and lightning soundtrack was bad? I only remember the very good :same: song

It's Dav

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this op is GOOD

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Burbo posted:

none of the other tracks stand out, it's just generic string pieces. i remember thinking a lot of it was played too loud and it came off as overbearingly trying to elicit emotion.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

El Burbo posted:

Davincie is like Bad Decision Dinosaur. That's all there is to it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it had a terrible soundtrack that was incredibly overbearing and never stopped for a single second to give the show some time to breathe, constantly commanding you to feel whatever it wanted you to an idiotic degree only matched by long dead soaps, but hey apparently im the only one capable of noticing these things

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

this op is GOOD

The ending reminds me of the Spice and Wolf ending

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 9, 2017

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
senpai.moe claims it should be up on amazon prime by now but i dont have their anime subscription. that op/ed is rad though

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

it had a terrible soundtrack that was incredibly overbearing and never stopped for a single second to give the show some time to breathe, constantly commanding you to feel whatever it wanted you to an idiotic degree only matched by long dead soaps, but hey apparently im the only one capable of noticing these things
I recall the soundtrack being on the pretty chill side. I guess it's a "Different Strokes for Different Blokes" matter of opinion, after all. The soundtrack stopping when Kotori's Mom appears on TV wearing a Sailor Schoolgirl uniform is funny as poo poo, though.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I really liked Liar's Game and Usogui, would I like Kakegurui?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

I really liked Liar's Game and Usogui, would I like Kakegurui?

Do you want to be stepped on by scary women? That's really the question that matters.

• Locked thread