Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

No they weren't and if you actually think this I think I can discount your opinions on everything from this point on buddy.

Okay, tough guy. Not sure if I care what you think either if that's how you're going to handle debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

They're extremely good but my problem is actually with the way you're saying it, my dude

Eh, I'm just fresh from the film and still processing it.

Are you saying I'm a racist since neither of them are white?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Okay, tough guy. Not sure if I care what you think either if that's how you're going to handle debate.

Whoa dude, where the gently caress do you get that I'm being an internet tough guy? Calm your rear end down.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dude, you're the one saying "if you think this I'm going to consider you wrong about everything forever".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Dude, you're the one saying "if you think this I'm going to consider you wrong about everything forever".

Where the hell do you infer internet tough guy from that? You're doing that thing where you massively overreact to what people say on the forums again. Or more like still. Because you always do it.

I LIKED the film. But those two actors were just horrible in every scene they were in. And yay, Zendaya was MJ. Way to go Sony for not totally folding on that one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhyno posted:

Are you saying I'm a racist since neither of them are white?

lol you gave away the game, weak-rear end trolling

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Thanks a lot Rhyno you spoiled a twist I never saw coming jerk

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno wrong. People scream. Sky Blue. Water wet.

Circle of life my friends.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... are you really reacting that strongly to being called a "tough guy"? That's not even an insult, I don't know why you're leaping to assume I meant some internet stereotype. All I did was respond to your statement in kind. If you're gonna write what I said off, all I'm doing is reciprocating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

lol you gave away the game

You got me. If you ain't white you can get hosed. Secret Empire is also my favorite comic.

TFRazorsaw posted:

... are you really reacting that strongly to being called a "tough guy"? That's not even an insult, I don't know why you're leaping to assume I meant some internet stereotype. All I did was respond to your statement in kind. If you're gonna write what I said off, all I'm doing is reciprocating.

Because we all have to walk on loving eggshells whenever you're part of a conversation because if you don't like how we're saying something you flip the gently caress out.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 9, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno is free to be completely and utterly objectively wrong about Ned and Michelle because that's his right to opinion. Calm down people. Not everyone has to like what you like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Rhyno is free to be completely and utterly objectively wrong about Ned and Michelle because that's his right to opinion. Calm down people. Not everyone has to like what you like.

Thank you for defending my 100% correct opinion.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Because we all have to walk on loving eggshells whenever you're part of a conversation because if you don't like how we're saying something you flip the gently caress out.

You took a really innocuous statement and blew it out of proportion, so maybe move out of your glass house first.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I will turn this thread around and go back to Amazing Spider-Man 2 if you kids don't quiet down in the back!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yeah shut up nerds!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I will turn this thread around and go back to Amazing Spider-Man 2 if you kids don't quiet down in the back!

The costume was better back then!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anyway I saw this comment elsewhere and what I think made this movie work so well is that it wasn't trying to be the BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT SPIDER-MAN STORY EVER

No huge stakes where everyone is going to die, no ruining Peter's life in one big bomb, instead it's a death of a thousand cuts style thing that wears away at him and his world but in the end he perseveres. There's stakes, but they don't try to be the hugest in the world or even force them to be.

It felt grounded in ways that made you still care about his world and that's what a movie like this should be, I think.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

The costume was better back then!

How can one man be so wrong about this many things

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How can one man be so wrong about this many things

Seriously bro, Garfield's second suit is the apex of Spider-man film costuming. Holland's is great but it's not on that level.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's actually kinda right, the ASM2 costume is loving incredible even if I like (both) costumes from Homecoming a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

He's actually kinda right, the ASM2 costume is loving incredible even if I like (both) costumes from Homecoming a lot.

The homemade suit is the better suit in Homecoming. I'd much rather Peter get a tech stripped suit in the sequel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It has expressive eyes, which is the best Spider-Man.

TFRazorsaw posted:

anyway I saw this comment elsewhere and what I think made this movie work so well is that it wasn't trying to be the BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT SPIDER-MAN STORY EVER

No huge stakes where everyone is going to die, no ruining Peter's life in one big bomb, instead it's a death of a thousand cuts style thing that wears away at him and his world but in the end he perseveres. There's stakes, but they don't try to be the hugest in the world or even force them to be.

It felt grounded in ways that made you still care about his world and that's what a movie like this should be, I think.

Yea I really liked that too. It was nice to have a Super Hero movie that the stakes weren't literally the end of the world. It felt very Spider-Man.

Got I loved Flash just being a rear end in a top hat cool guy. Much more effective bully than just being physically menacing.

It was also great that the villain actually figured out who Spider-Man was. None of this "Oh Bruce you missed it batman saved everyone!" without anyone guessing that he's actually batman. God I hate secret identities now.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, the thing about stakes is that many writers often mistake scale for quality. Nobody really cares if the universe is going to explode. Stakes have to be personal because we get attached to the characters. That's why they bother having them. Like I really cared about Peter trying to hold that boat together because Holland was doing a great job of portraying how important it was to him. That's also why I liked the If This Be My Destiny spot. What he lifts doesn't actually look that brutal. The Vulture isn't going to actually hurt anyone. At least not directly. What makes it work is that it's important to Peter and that's why he's willing to fight.

Zendaya was great, idk what anyone says. She gave me some pretty good laughs and there's something there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The ASM2 costume was fantastic, but expressive eyes win out here.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

pubic works project posted:

Yeah shut up nerds!

Go back to Cybertron, dweeb!

*throws chair*

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hey guys, what instrument do you think Peter played in band?

My guess? The bugle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The expressive eyes were done really well. When they squint they don't just become narrower versions of the same shape but conform to different looks from the comics. There was one in particular I'll have to watch out for next time that had super thin eyes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anybody see it in 3D? I really enjoyed both Guardians movies in 3D.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Anybody see it in 3D? I really enjoyed both Guardians movies in 3D.

My eyes have trouble processing 3D these days. I get pounding headaches after about 30 minutes. Which suuuuucks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spider-Man is played by Tom Holland.

There's another British actor whose name is Tom Hollander.

Is there an actor anywhere in the world called Tom Hollandest?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Back from Spider-Man! It was an incredibly enjoyable film, near the top of MCU heap but maybe not at the tippy-top, so of course I'm gonna talk about what I really disliked in it! :prepop:

So. Just. gently caress Tony Stark? Like, on the real? I couldn't bloody stand his self-congratulatory pretentious schtick here!

At this point this guy has become...like, the literal specific cause of every single problem in this universe. The whole reason Toombs even turned to crime was because Stark stole a legitimate contract from him which caused him and his crew to waste their investment and probably lose their jobs. Look, I just became a new small-business-owner myself this year, and I can say in all honesty that if someone caused us to go under because they illegally coerced an investment from us, I would probably put on giant metal wings and start killing people too!

All of which makes Vulture into a more compelling character! But it also makes Stark into a giant piece of poo poo who should be locked in a mid-west jail cell!

And then throughout Peter's story he just keeps acting pompous and standoffish which is why Peter even acted out so much, and then he blames Peter for messing up the FBI stakeout which he didn't tell Peter about sooooo how could Peter know to not mess it up? Who knows! And then when Peter finishes doing Stark's job and gets Toomes, the rat bastard Stark has the gall to -- even jokingly -- try to take some credit for what Peter did and then. And then! He idiotically sets Peter up to have his entire life ruined by trying to stick him in the exact sort of role that would have been disastrous for Peter's mindset and growth. It's great that Peter is wise enough at this point to reject this offer, but it would have been better if Peter also told him to shove it and that from now on he's just another rear end in a top hat that Spider-Man has to watch out for.

Seriously, Stark is the worst. :parrot:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, telling a proven loose cannon about a covert FBI action sounds like a great idea. Those aren't things you're supposed to keep to a minimum of people who know about them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The whole reason Peter was a loose cannon here was because Stark set him loose and then just hosed off to do whatever.

If Tony seriously thought that Peter was a dangerous loose cannon that can't be trusted on his own with no contact or training, then he should've just taken back the suit in the first place. If Tony didn't trust Peter enough to share this sort of information with him then he should've just put a stop to Peter's vigilante activities, period. Instead, Tony chose the worst possible combination of condescension and neglect and not actually teaching Peter anything for months on end.

Maybe Peter would have stayed away if Tony actually communicated his plans with him. Or maybe he would have tried to meddle anyway, but at least he would know there were other agents there and that would've changed how he played things. We'll never know now! Either way, you don't get to say "Why did you show up at the stakeout and mess it up?" if you didn't actually tell someone there was a stakeout.

Or, okay, if you absolutely cannot tell Peter that there was a stakeout there or else it would completely 100% for certain no question whatsoever blow the operation, then you still can't go on to lecture him about how his involvement in the stakeout led everything to poo poo, and at least take on part of the blame for not having done everything you could've to make sure everything went smoothly.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 9, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, you absolutely don't tell him about the stakeout at all, because he's already a security risk whose drawn the people they're going after and gotten people from his personal life in danger as a result - because of something Peter didn't report at all. He didn't take the suit away because he was giving Peter another chance, but at that point he'd already proven he couldn't be trusted with knowledge of the stakeout because he was more concerned with taking the next step as a superhero than actually stopping the bad guy. After you've openly defied instructions twice, you don't get sensitive information like that.

Furthermore, Tony's actual role and Peter's expectations of it are two different things. I'm not saying Tony handled it anywhere near perfect, but Peter DID project a degree and expect things that weren't wholly promised.

And while he went about it terribly (Toomes should have been compensated for his trucks and equipment - but that's more likely the city of NewYork's responsibility), a vetted agency with oversight is absolutely preferable to cleaning up this stuff than a private company, especially one that seemed to be hiring people off the street. Brice was his employee well before the project was shut down and he was less concerned with making a living and more with causing mayhem. Plus we know from other MCU entries that Chitauri tech ended up in HYDRA and other unscrupulous hands, so an organization not motivated by profit is necessary for collecting it.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 9, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

What are you talking about?

You're saying that if Tony had told Peter about the stakeout, he would've put more people in danger (As opposed to the wonderfully-smooth way things turned out, of course!). You're saying that if Peter knew there were FBI agents at that scene, the situation would've somehow been worse. You're saying that if Tony gave Peter information about a case instead of keeping Peter in ignorance about everything, that would've caused more harm than good. You're literally saying that having Peter be involved with something is more dangerous to people than if he's not.

If that's actually the case? If Peter is truly so untrained and unsafe in the field, then Peter should absolutely not be a superhero at all and Tony is even more of a complete idiot for leaving him virtually unsupervised at all times.

Ignorance doesn't protect. Knowledge protects. Being annoyed at someone because they disrupted something you didn't tell them about is absurd.

And trust is a two-way street. If Tony was going to keep Peter at arm's length and completely in the dark despite every clear and open attempt Peter made at engaging with Tony through the months, then he has absolutely no right to be angry when situations end up exactly as poorly as they did. Can't have it both ways, here.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My point is that Peter had proven himself untrustworthy with information and that he was more interested in being a cowboy and moving up in in terms of status. Telling him about the stakeout would have potentially risked getting it leaked or in the hands of Toomes' gang. You don't tell him for the same reason you don't tell a beat cop about a sting operation, even if he managed to run afoul of some relevant evidence. Especially after he's set a bad precedent for himself

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 9, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, Tony Stark being a condescending adult was certainly much worse than Vulture being a killer. Stark wasn't mad just because Peter messed up the FBI sting. He was mad because he told him to drop it with The Vulture. He told him that there were people who handled that sort of thing. Not only did he tell Peter not to continue getting involved, but Peter lied straight to his face about his involvement when he was on the boat.

It's sort've funny how much you slag Tony when responsibility is such an important theme in Spider-Man mythology. It's not Tony's fault that Toomes reacted to adversity by turning to crime. It's not Tony's fault that Peter couldn't leave well enough alone because he was hellbent on trying to be an Avenger. It's their fault. Even the characters saw it that way.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I haven't seen the movie yet but I just wanted to contribute to the big blocks of spoilers
A
B
C
Here's some
I'm glad you guys think it's good though. I can't see it until next week. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

What are you talking about?

Dude, look who you're arguing with. There's probably 6 or 7 subplots that he imagined.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Two little bits I liked.
When Karen activates kill mode on the Spider-suit his eyes go black. It makes him look like this Spider-suit.

And secondly that the second upgraded Spider suit is Spock's Superior Spider suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Spider-Man is played by Tom Holland.

There's another British actor whose name is Tom Hollander.

Is there an actor anywhere in the world called Tom Hollandest?

Where would a Tom Hollandaise rank?

• Locked thread