Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Reginald & Dyrus killed me in the final 7 alive in a PUBG Duos game tonight. TSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

njsykora posted:

I think WE can beat anyone but SKT, and both RNG and OMG should be able to beat MVP right now. Getting the win over SSG is probably the hump that opens things up for LPL to legit win this.
RIP World Elite

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wonder if SKT are gonna try and make this an even bigger beatdown than the game on Friday.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

First 15 mins have been all WE.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

saintonan posted:

First 15 mins have been all WE.

LPL just won this tournament.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RealFoxy posted:

RIP World Elite

yeah, rip

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
RIP korea

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Looks like it's time to dig up this old thing

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

njsykora posted:

LPL just won this tournament.

That was pretty horrific from SKT.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

KT vs OMG for Game 3, who chokes harder, OMG or KT

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

KT vs OMG for Game 3, who chokes harder, OMG or KT

KT almost certainly. Also.
https://twitter.com/TSMDoublelift/status/884003786980597762

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Somebody should have let OMG know that Taliyah with a Banshee's is not as strong as a Corki with Tri Force.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The LCK's hope rests on their 9th placed team.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
RIP Korea

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm lmao that Rift Rivals ended because SKT played Peanut and MVP threw at Baron

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That was the finish MVP deserved.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

That was the finish MVP deserved.
Papasmithy kept saying it over and over, and despite MVP making miracles out of late game, they're always going to stubbornly try and end a game off a Baron play. Kkoma was probably tearing his hair out watching the region get out-played by a TP

e: I'm trying not to blame MVP for dropping the ball there but it's hard not to when they got so blatantly baited into wasting teleport and losing to a backdoor. SKT and Samsung sunk and EDG stepped way up. SKT must have forgotten this was a best of 1.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 9, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Man, I kinda feel sorry for Peanut. He gets brought in with a great deal of fanfare and aplomb, everyone discovers that he's basically a Lee Sin one-trick, and now he only gets shoved out on stage when Blank's convinced he'll lose his win streak.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
cool bizarro world tournament

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Those were some very favorable early games for the LPL squads. It's going to be hard to replicate, but hey Bo1s :toot:

Clearlove popping off for once. Guy doesn't want to retire as long as there are new trophies to add to the ol' case.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah even without WE taking out SKT that final was pretty much won the second EDG beat SSG. MVP were unlikely to win against anyone and who the hell would've bet on KT to take the lone win given their recent form.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i think i speak for us all when i say nice!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

korea losing something anything is pretty welcome rn

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Congrats to the best team in the world, TSM.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Bo1s to decide your finals seem like the worst format imaginable

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Firebert posted:

Bo1s to decide your finals seem like the worst format imaginable

i don't really understand riot's obsession with bo1's, but its probably to let the occasional weird result squeak through

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

well, im assuming in other sports the teams just play one match? it doesnt really make sense in lol but my impression was always that riot just copied actual sports leagues

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I dont care about best of ones EXCEPT I think it's deeply stupid to have a three week (??????) best of five tournament with 16 teams where 8 teams are eliminated via a two week (??????????????????????????) series of best of ones

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

You've battled all year long, scraped and practiced and made every effort to improve and it all pays off here, in the final test: play one game a week against Game Pirate Team, the second best league of legends team from Greece.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
yeah it's so loving dumb we still have bo1s for poo poo that's meant to have prestige attached. esp when we don't even have them in lcs anymore lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Bo1's in a round-robin format are fine, but once you are out of group's it should be Bo5

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That's a lot of league of legends.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

having 4 groups is too many unless its just for seeding and no teams are removed. its easier to feel better about your favorite team getting knocked out if they play like, 7 other teams in a round robin and lose all their matches than if they draw the scariest group of asian people or whatever

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Radical posted:

well, im assuming in other sports the teams just play one match? it doesnt really make sense in lol but my impression was always that riot just copied actual sports leagues

Generally no. Basketball is a series, Baseball is a series, soccer is mostly a series of Bo2s except the world cup (which is unique because it's meant to test how clutch you can be and how much you can adapt on the fly as well as your endurance)...I can't think of very many sports that go Bo1. Tennis if you wanna talk about single matches? But the sets could count as a series too.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

Man, I kinda feel sorry for Peanut. He gets brought in with a great deal of fanfare and aplomb, everyone discovers that he's basically a Lee Sin one-trick, and now he only gets shoved out on stage when Blank's convinced he'll lose his win streak.

Eh? He basically didn't play Lee at all until Worlds 2016. He was known for his Elise/Nid where he would 0 buff enemy jungler. There is not even a word for what he did in his first split at Rox. Lee is just a strong pick right now and Korea has always had the best Lee players. Blank's best pick is also Lee he doesn't look as good on anything else. Blank is probably better on tanky picks like Gragas/Reksai/Zac and he was known for having a good Kindred in his first SKT split. Peanut will probably play more if Korea picks up Nid which I don't understand why they don't.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Transient People posted:

Generally no. Basketball is a series, Baseball is a series, soccer is mostly a series of Bo2s except the world cup (which is unique because it's meant to test how clutch you can be and how much you can adapt on the fly as well as your endurance)...I can't think of very many sports that go Bo1. Tennis if you wanna talk about single matches? But the sets could count as a series too.

Football is the big one. But that’s basically just because Bo3 in football would either result in dead people or 6 month long playoffs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Very few sports outside the US use multiple game series' for tournaments, unless you count 2-game aggregate scoring in a few continental soccer tournaments but those aren't true Bo2's, more avoiding giving one team or the other home field advantage before the matches move to neutral territory for the final matches.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Bo1's in a round-robin format are fine, but once you are out of group's it should be Bo5

For double round robin anyways since red/blue side are not equivalent.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What does "in game over ping" mean? The SpoTV match is paused due to that. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Smol posted:

What does "in game over ping" mean? The SpoTV match is paused due to that. :confused:
I have no idea and it's got to be some kind of mistranslation because I can't even begin to think about what that could be

• Locked thread