Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If you want to take one more whack at it, this post has instructions for contacting a third party app dev who somehow has access to get poo poo escalated: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/5l22du/meta_introducing_reddit_request_a_better_way_to/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Javid posted:

If you want to take one more whack at it, this post has instructions for contacting a third party app dev who somehow has access to get poo poo escalated: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi/comments/5l22du/meta_introducing_reddit_request_a_better_way_to/

The developers of Signal Spy have access to chat with the Google Fi developers at Google, they're pretty legit, from what I've seen. They're also more active on the subreddit than the actual Fi dev who posts there.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yeah, the dude gets poo poo done.

The fact that this mechanism exists, and "contact a third party on loving Reddit" is a legitimate step in the troubleshooting process instead of the support people actually doing their job, is not a ringing endorsement of this company.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
They emailed me today and told me they had reset some settings on their end and my phone should work. So it's working now, but it took 10 days of dealing with different reps repeating the same steps on my phone. Took them a long time to realize it was something wrong on their end. Not great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ported my number to Cricket. Goodbye, Project Fi. :(

I got a sweet Galaxy Amp 2 out of it for free!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well just got my 5x back from LG support for the second time, still doesn't work. They have sent the phone back to me twice without an operating system. Wish I had bought it on the Fi store as I hear they are better about getting you a working phone.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i installed my window air conditioner and now i cannot place any calls while inside my bedroom

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just vacationed in rural Michigan, my signal was equally as bad as everyone else's. Phone still good, service still cheap.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If I port my Fi number out to Google Voice, will Hangouts/SMS integration work the same way? I've gotten really used to texting from my computer and would hate to lose it or need to use a third party app like PushBullet.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I bought a 6p back in November 2015 and have been on Fi ever since. Even with 0% financing on my phone purchase, my bills are half what they were with Verizon. I'm not a power user or anything, but my 6p still works, my service has been rock solid (I live in a major city so really everyone is solid), and I average just shy of 2GB data a month. I just don't see a reason to switch off, really. I'll pass on the Pixel, but if the next generation Google phone is awesome, by then my 6p will be paid off and I'll start the cycle over again (especially if they offer another 0% financing deal).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Humerus posted:

If I port my Fi number out to Google Voice, will Hangouts/SMS integration work the same way? I've gotten really used to texting from my computer and would hate to lose it or need to use a third party app like PushBullet.

I think you'll have to use the Voice app in lieu of Hangouts

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

azurite posted:

I think you'll have to use the Voice app in lieu of Hangouts

I ported out of Google Voice to Fi 2 weeks ago and also am used to Hangouts for texting. It still works for me on computer, phone, and Gmail.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Humerus wants to go the other way around. Outside of Fi, Hangouts no longer supports SMS.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's been talk of people seeing their data usage going up after switching to Fi. Personally, I struggled to keep my monthly usage under 3GB (I used Signal Spy to try and limit my daily usage to under 100MB) and it caused me to switch to Cricket. After 12 days on Cricket and not monitoring my usage at all, I just hit 1GB (83MB per day). I'm on pace to hit 2.5GB by the end of the month.

Tl;dr: I'm using my phone more but seemingly using less data with a different provider.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The system data dashboard on my 5X says I've used 680 MB this cycle, but the Fi app says I've only used 410. I don't think I've ever seen this big a discrepancy between an Android data counter and a carrier one. It seems especially weird to me given that Google made both counters :thunk:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Fi Switch hasn't been working for me the past couple of days; anyone else had any issues?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Had my first real issues with Fi today, seemed to make a call just fine over wifi, but then directly in the middle of the call switch back to the Fi network, and subsequently drop that call, have lesser quality on the next call, drop it again and then have similar(poor) quality on the third call.

And it was during a phone interview :suicide:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here use Google Hangouts with Project Fi? I keep hearing about Hangouts but I haven't used it yet. Is there any downside?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I use it. I have no complaints. It seems to work well for most people.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's fine. I wish there were a way to block SMS messages

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Neat, I get targeted ads based on which network I am on. Just switched from TMobile to Sprint and got an ad saying "Sprint customers..."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/projectfi/status/880473299309830144

Awesome.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

One of those Android news sites a few months ago said the rumor was the Android One program would be coming to the US (which, searching now, seems to be widely suspected but still not officially announced) and those phones would serve as the sub-Pixel Fi options. Same article also said they were gonna take the "Project" tag off.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/06/30/moto-x4-might-coming-project-fi/ Current rumor to the phone is that the phone will be the Moto X4.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Was thinking about being cool to my wife and picking up an LTE USB dongle that I could throw a Fi sim card into for her chromebook.

https://www.ebay.com/i/182500600001?chn=ps&dispItem=1
This is cheap... legit? Has anyone else played this this functionality?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Well, high prices aside, the international roaming does work wonderfully. I had good service all throughout middle of nowhere Siberia, although it probably would have been easy enough to acquire a SIM locally.

I've noticed another exciting thing though: apparently my Fi number is not considered a valid phone for VK, and because Russia, VK treats your phone as the security option of last resort, not email--the lost password functionality requires you use SMS, and I can't change my phone to my actual current number. It's stuck on some TMobile number that I used to have. Not sure if this applies to all Fi numbers or just those that were previously Google Voice numbers.

What do service providers that interact with phone numbers actually use to determine whether any given number is a "real cell phone number" versus some sort of VoIP thing? It seems like some services (the idiot 2FA provider my work uses) that previously required I use my non-Google Voice number do work directly with my Fi number, whereas others don't: as mentioned, VK thinks it's VoIP and the idiot VoIP service my work uses for routing pager calls (some godforsaken Twilio abomination) appears to hate it also, as inbound calls just stopped coming through at some point.

I've asked various support services about this but I figure it's mostly a waiting game before I get lucky and someone routes me to the one person who actually understands the clusterfuck integration between VoIP and PSTN because they're an amalgamation of someone who was working on cellular networks circa 2000, someone who actually understands VoIP, and someone who actually handles customers issues fused into one being by a literal wizard.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just chiming in to say that I had no issue getting a free replacement 6P after experiencing the dead-phone-at-20%+ battery thing even though I'm past warranty. I did get mine from Google directly though, so YMMV.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just chiming in to say that I had no issue getting a free replacement 6P after experiencing the dead-phone-at-20%+ battery thing even though I'm past warranty. I did get mine from Google directly though, so YMMV.

Do you mean your phone dying at approximately 20% battery? Cause poo poo, if I can get a replacement 6P out of warranty, tell me your secrets! :worship:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Johnny Truant posted:

Do you mean your phone dying at approximately 20% battery? Cause poo poo, if I can get a replacement 6P out of warranty, tell me your secrets! :worship:

Yep. I just used chat on the Fi page and told them it was dying consistently above 20% battery, I tried troubleshooting and nothing was working. She said it was a known issue and issued a replacement. However, I've seen stories of people who got the phone with someone other than Google (and/or not living in the US) having a much harder time getting it replaced for this issue, so who knows.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yep. I just used chat on the Fi page and told them it was dying consistently above 20% battery, I tried troubleshooting and nothing was working. She said it was a known issue and issued a replacement. However, I've seen stories of people who got the phone with someone other than Google (and/or not living in the US) having a much harder time getting it replaced for this issue, so who knows.

Was your replacement brand new? And how far out of your warranty were you? Interesting though, thanks for the tips! I bought my 6P second-hand from a homie but as far as I know she got it through Google, so I'm probably gonna give this a try later today. Worst they can do is say no!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Johnny Truant posted:

Was your replacement brand new? And how far out of your warranty were you? Interesting though, thanks for the tips! I bought my 6P second-hand from a homie but as far as I know she got it through Google, so I'm probably gonna give this a try later today. Worst they can do is say no!

No, it's a refurb according to the page I put in the order but I've never had an issue with a refurbished device in the past. I'm actually not sure if they're still making new ones at this point. I'm 6 months past warranty.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
So here's my good news, bad news Project Fi experience.

I've now had two 5Xs fail in a six month window, one of which was a refurb replacement from when the first was under warranty. Both times customer service has gotten me a replacement extremely quickly.

I feel a phone shouldn't fail that often, but since it does, at least their CS addresses it extremely well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anniversary posted:

So here's my good news, bad news Project Fi experience.

I've now had two 5Xs fail in a six month window, one of which was a refurb replacement from when the first was under warranty. Both times customer service has gotten me a replacement extremely quickly.

I feel a phone shouldn't fail that often, but since it does, at least their CS addresses it extremely well.

"This thing is lovely garbage but at least they give me another piece of lovely garbage!"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

"This thing is lovely garbage but at least they give me another piece of lovely garbage!"
I really like the phone, though! The bootlooping definitely sucks, but my experience with it otherwise has been good.

Any updates on the new phones they'll be allowing?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I really like the phone, though! The bootlooping definitely sucks, but my experience with it otherwise has been good.

The current rumor is the Moto X4. Which I personally think will suck given how Motorola / Lenovo give no fucks about updates anymore or good cameras. I'll probably just save up for the next Pixel and rock my Nexus 6 until then.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Endless Mike posted:

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I really like the 5x as a phone, but boy oh boy does it have issues. I am pleasantly surprised when a company actually replaces their broken poo poo?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So long, Fi.

There were a few times where having three different available networks was super handy, but more often than that your poor network switching, even using apps like FiSwitcher, left me with no or poor service on a bad network when a better network was available.
There were a few months that I was on wifi so often that I managed to pay less than the $30 I was paying on the T-Mobile nerd plan, but more often than that even with being data stingy I ended up paying more.
There were a few times that I loved the Nexus 6P as a phone, but then I had to get it replaced twice for the early shutdown issue, and the one I finally settled on is the worst refurb job I've ever had, with the front glass sticking out on the right to the point that sometimes I have to squeeze it in to get the buttons to work.
There were a few times that Fi support seemed like super educated people who knew just the solution to a problem I had, but hoo boy I have no idea how so many people didn't know about the issues with the 6P since the service supports so few phones and it was a major issue.

Most of the features I liked I'll still have via Google Voice, and hey, Sprint is giving away a free year of unlimited service.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

Most of the features I liked I'll still have via Google Voice, and hey, Sprint is giving away a free year of unlimited service.
See all these pennies? As long as you pick them up one at a time, you can have unlimited money!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I left Sprint five years ago. That's not enough to make me go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I'm going on 2 years of being away from Sprint and I'll never go back. I had unlimited data grandfathered in on them and it still was pure garbage.

Any rumours about when the new Pixel will drop?