Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The problem is the grinding in this game is best done solo, while pvping is better done in a group. The result is we usually play solo because 90% of the game is just grinding.

Easy to think that at first, but after a while of playing with a crewmate or two, you can amass a large stockpile of duplicate journal entries, each of which give you 15 knowledge. You just transfer all of them into your inventory, go through them all and then throw the ones you already have back in the box for someone else. Knowledge databanks are good knowledge, but journal entries have made up most of mine. After playing with people, I hit T4 engine unlocks very quickly with 2-3 people bringing back journal entries and finding all the databanks quickly.

This just isn't a solo game, and I really love it for that. It's the only MMO where my friends can't power level well beyond me ever catching up. There's been zero grind for me since playing with people.

Here's a hot tip to eliminate the rest of the grind for you. You hardly have to bother with mining nodes. I've only used mining nodes to get atlas shards. Looting scrap piles gives you loads of metal while you're just wandering around looking for chests. When an island you're on or approaching starts shaking and you hear lightening, that's called an understorm, and every time that happens, all the loot containers on the island reset. You can just sweep through and loot everything and be sitting pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

FileNotFound posted:

Ran into Vexus and his griefer crew in their death cube while they were ganking some noob - a 2 vs 1 fight ensued and I am sad to say that we didn't come out victorious. Our ship got shot to poo poo and I have no idea how they get in and out of their loving cube - it's all tin and super manuverable for it's size - 100% internal components. Not really sure how to deal with them...

Be the little bee.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is maintenance just at random times? Normally it is 9pm to 10pm here. Now it started at 1015pm

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Cheap Shot posted:

Easy to think that at first, but after a while of playing with a crewmate or two, you can amass a large stockpile of duplicate journal entries, each of which give you 15 knowledge. You just transfer all of them into your inventory, go through them all and then throw the ones you already have back in the box for someone else. Knowledge databanks are good knowledge, but journal entries have made up most of mine. After playing with people, I hit T4 engine unlocks very quickly with 2-3 people bringing back journal entries and finding all the databanks quickly.

This just isn't a solo game, and I really love it for that. It's the only MMO where my friends can't power level well beyond me ever catching up. There's been zero grind for me since playing with people.

Here's a hot tip to eliminate the rest of the grind for you. You hardly have to bother with mining nodes. I've only used mining nodes to get atlas shards. Looting scrap piles gives you loads of metal while you're just wandering around looking for chests. When an island you're on or approaching starts shaking and you hear lightening, that's called an understorm, and every time that happens, all the loot containers on the island reset. You can just sweep through and loot everything and be sitting pretty.

Junk piles are great for resources, but absolutely rape inventory space. Seeing as each one seems to have an entirely different metal/wood type. The island in wilderness that I affectionately call "junk island" has about 20 junk piles that reload with each understorm and as a result there are about 20 chests perpetually laying about for all the excess garbage one cannot fit into their inv.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Currently logged out just above the island that looks like an arm holding a giant plate of spaghetti. Will be exploring it this evening if I can avoid wife aggro.

PS: gently caress Mantas already.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Glad to see that two of the most popular threads on the official forums are the pirate list posts. Now with links to people's twitch accounts!
How long till you think the mods crack down on them? Or will they not?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Glad to see that two of the most popular threads on the official forums are the pirate list posts. Now with links to people's twitch accounts!
How long till you think the mods crack down on them? Or will they not?

Doubt they'd crack down on it. Streamers don't mind free viewers and twitch linking is hardly doxing.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
So my little ship I posted a page or two back just let me solo a sand wall in some style. Made it through with zero engine or wing losses in a mostly iron ship. Will post full details of my design and parts if it'll be of use to anyone. Solo play is totally viable if you're careful, I've now got every atlas upgrade and I'm carting round a shipping container full of materials in my fully enclosed lower hull to discourage opportunist thieves, plus have fended of numerous multi crew pirate attacks now. Game is good.

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 7, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

KM Scorchio posted:

So I took my little ship I posted or two a page back just let me solo a sand wall in some style. Made it through with zero engine or wing losses in a mostly iron ship. Will post full details of my design and parts if it'll be of use to anyone. Solo play is totally viable if you're careful, I've now got every atlas upgrade and I'm carting round a shipping container full of materials in my fully enclosed lower hull to discourage opportunist thieves, plus have fended of numerous multi crew pirate attacks now. Game is good.

Man you are lucky. Been in 3 tier 3 zones that last 3 days and have not found one atlas upgrade.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Raged posted:

Man you are lucky. Been in 3 tier 3 zones that last 3 days and have not found one atlas upgrade.

I found an island with 2 gold chests and just camped out there for a few days and farmed chests/resources.

If you happen to be on the EU west server I have a coolant upgrade spare you can have.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
How are people handling the sheer number of woods and metals, multiplied with the quality of each type? Only after having gotten to t2 did I even pay attention to the quality number, wondering why I was getting out of room errors when chopping down the same tree. (adding stacks together changes the durability of the stack to the lower number of the 2).

I get the feeling we will end up paying for more bag space, like tree of life.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Raged posted:

This is most of the chest locations in R3. Might help you farm.

Island on left, possible chest locations on the right of the picture of the island.

I made one for t4 as well but I'm at work so I can't push it up until tonight.

xanif fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 7, 2017

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Fog Tripper posted:

How are people handling the sheer number of woods and metals, multiplied with the quality of each type? Only after having gotten to t2 did I even pay attention to the quality number, wondering why I was getting out of room errors when chopping down the same tree. (adding stacks together changes the durability of the stack to the lower number of the 2).

I get the feeling we will end up paying for more bag space, like tree of life.

Don't worry about quality until you can afford to have the space for it and where there is a high number of high quality mats. Basically until t4. At that point use your quality 10 stuff to build your ship and anything of lower quality combine it together and use it to repair your ship.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

KM Scorchio posted:

So my little ship I posted a page or two back just let me solo a sand wall in some style. Made it through with zero engine or wing losses in a mostly iron ship. Will post full details of my design and parts if it'll be of use to anyone. Solo play is totally viable if you're careful, I've now got every atlas upgrade and I'm carting round a shipping container full of materials in my fully enclosed lower hull to discourage opportunist thieves, plus have fended of numerous multi crew pirate attacks now. Game is good.

I'm just starting and learning to build my first ship (that does not fly off on its own), so any design would be nice

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

wfwon posted:

I'm just starting and learning to build my first ship (that does not fly off on its own), so any design would be nice
Let's talk ship designs then! My latest skiff:

Top layer is thin, but not minimum height. It's for putting the respawner under a deck.

I eyeballed the line height, used junk materials and salvaged the frame until the decks loaded properly.

Bottom layer is about the size of a large panel because gently caress paneling.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 7, 2017

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Keeping an eye on how much material you need for decking is a good way to tell if your deck lines are straight enough to generate one. Think it goes up by 30 per deck panel. Someone told me this right after I used a ton of materials trying to get a complicated design right.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like good advice if you don't have lots of junk

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

Jackard posted:

Top layer is thin, but not minimum height. It's for putting the respawner under a deck.

I eyeballed the line height, used junk materials and salvaged the frame until the decks loaded properly.

Are your engines/wing backwards or is your gun just rear facing?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Looks like the helm is facing to the left of that pic, hidden by the panel. I am assuming the gun is rear facing.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

So here is the ship I solo'd the sandwall in:

http://imgur.com/a/368hq

Included pics of the wing & engine stats and overall composition. 4 horizontal wings, 3 vertical wings and 8 engines getting me up to 20 knots. Generator and fully upgraded atlas core on the main deck with the helm, then I keep a shipping container walled off in the lower deck with a second generator so that it's not easily accessible or obvious to pirates. There's with enough material for repairs and trash to distract pirates in the deck containers, everything else goes down below. Engines & wings are just iron with brass internals, but all made it through the sand wall intact even though I didn't have a good view to repair some at all (I was repairing then checking the helm every 10 seconds or so, had to readjust my course 2-3 times only). It's a nice little ship for the solo wanderer and seems to handle any wall just fine. Going to play around with a new design now that i'm hanging out in the T4 section with just wind walls to worry about for a while though.

I like the hidden respawner idea, might have to steal that!

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Jackard posted:

Sounds like good advice if you don't have lots of junk

The main annoyance was having to remove all the deck panels (this design had a ton) to salvage the frame and try again, back before they patched that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

dogsupremacy posted:

Are your engines/wing backwards or is your gun just rear facing?
my first gun is always in the rear, under the assumption that i will be running away

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

xanif posted:

This is most of the chest locations in R3. Might help you farm.

Island on left, possible chest locations on the right of the picture of the island.

I made one for t4 as well but I'm at work so I can't push it up until tonight.

Thanks, sadly I'm on US west

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Jackard posted:

Thank you! I just made something similar to the design, but I think because I don't have a wing that can be placed vertically as a rudder, my ship turns quite slow. I will prob try to take out some of the panelling and use one engine instead of two to lighten the load next time.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
With turbine engines the air intake faces forward and the pointy end is back right? I have some 128 power engines but not sure if I should be using 2 or 4 or trying to squeeze on 6

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
The mods on the official forums are a special breed of dumb.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Got a 24hr ban for standing up against a pedo lover.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Tempus Thales posted:

That will teach you! How dare you back up your accusations with evidence!

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

xanif posted:

That will teach you! How dare you back up your accusations with evidence!

Lesson learned.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Tempus Thales posted:

Maybe they just share in the widespread dislike of you? :shrug:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Fog Tripper posted:

Maybe they just share in the widespread dislike of you? :shrug:

:bahgawd:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sorry if this grts asked a lot, but have they said when new Founder packs are going to be available?

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

poo poo. They need to allow more than one character. I made US west for other friends.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Krilion posted:

poo poo. They need to allow more than one character. I made US west for other friends.

Use steam family sharing - it still seems to work.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

FileNotFound posted:

Use steam family sharing - it still seems to work.

As in sign in as a family member and play? I thought you linked your steam account to your login

Krilion fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 10, 2017

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Krilion posted:

As in sign in as a family member and play? I thought you linked your steam account to your login

You are exactly right - and when you log in with a different steam account, it creates a new WA account for that steam account - despite just 1 WA key.

I doubt that is working as intended, but currently it's the only way to have 2 chars on 1 key.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Add that rope breaking poo poo plz. Scavenger gun and swinging around at 1000rpm is the best strat and its very dumb.

e: Or maybe ramming with invlun frames. That's maybe more dumb.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 11, 2017

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

e: Or maybe ramming with invlun frames. That's maybe more dumb.

I feel like this may not be the game for you.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
So are frames invulnerable, or does your ship just suddenly fall apart when the frame takes x damage? I remember reading the latter, recently, but I'm not sure if that was just people being worried about upcoming changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

So are frames invulnerable, or does your ship just suddenly fall apart when the frame takes x damage? I remember reading the latter, recently, but I'm not sure if that was just people being worried about upcoming changes.

The last patch made abandoned frames salvageable. This was a good and needed thing as abandoned frames littered islands and dragged down fps and just downright looked ugly.

Of course as part of that change they screwed up and made frames be able to take damage - but not actually be repariable. So over time your frame would take sufficient damage, be it from stormwall, a few rought landingings or one too many cannonballs - at which point the frame would vanish and all our ship bits fell to the ground.

They hotfixed this within 48 hours making frames unsalvagable again.

As of right now, frames cannot take damage at all.

This means a good ramming ship consists of a ramming section that is designed to impact components that can be damaged. Some designs also use breakway components such as wings, stairs, whatever with the idea of those things being jammed inside the enemy ship and then wobbling around and destroying everything else.

One of our ships had a wing mounted in front like a spear and successfully destroyed a ship by ramming the wing inside it resulting in it bouncing around and destrying everything including the core.