Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm 5'6" and weigh about 145, should I buy a 50 flex intermediate stick? Assume I'll have to chop a couple inches off. I've been playing with 65s but warrior does a 50 that I'm pretty interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Without a doubt, yes. You're tiny and I can't imagine you're flexing hard when you put any weight on that 65 unless all your muscle is in your arms.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What are you unhappy about with the 65?

I think 2 inches off of that, with the right shooting mechanic, could be golden.

And it's not just arm strength that is flexing that thing!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ginette Reno posted:

Too bad most parents don't think this. Everyone thinks their kid is special but they don't realize that NHLers absolutely torch every non pro league they've ever been in.

I've been to family free skates where some douchebag hockey dad is screaming at his kids, forcing them to do skating drills amid about a hundred people who are just slowly skating in circles. I really wanted to say something, but I knew it would be futile and I'd just end up being screamed at or possibly punched.

prom candy posted:

I'm 5'6" and weigh about 145, should I buy a 50 flex intermediate stick? Assume I'll have to chop a couple inches off. I've been playing with 65s but warrior does a 50 that I'm pretty interested in.

Man I'm 6' 185 and I get intimidated because it feels like everyone on the ice is bigger than me. You've got way more guts than I do.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

sellouts posted:

I think 2 inches off of that, with the right shooting mechanic, could be golden.

And it's not just arm strength that is flexing that thing!

I know, the you're tiny part references the weight, so unless his arms are supreme and he's using them to compensate, i'd go lower, imo

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

I don't think I'm getting a lot of flex on the stick. I'm also playing with the E7 curve (it's like maybe halfway between Stamkos and Zetterberg) and I'd like to try the P92/whatever warrior equivalent. Having trouble getting good liftoff when I'm in close / on quick shots. I think I typically have to cut more than 2 inches from the intermediates as well, more like 3-4.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Man I'm 6' 185 and I get intimidated because it feels like everyone on the ice is bigger than me. You've got way more guts than I do.

I play never-ever co-ed so I'm the same size as a lot of the girls (although a lot of them are bigger than me) and there's a decent number of other small guys. I never played contact hockey and so far I haven't gotten hurt playing so I don't think I ever really developed a fear of the big players. Plus in a collision with a bigger player the call almost always goes my way so that's nice. I'd obviously like to have the reach, strength, and stride of a bigger player but in my league some of the best players are my size or smaller. Speed and control are way more important than size and strength.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

In a no check league, size plays a diminished role and if you're in lower rec tiers nobody is out there trying to blow someone up.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

prom candy posted:

I don't think I'm getting a lot of flex on the stick. I'm also playing with the E7 curve (it's like maybe halfway between Stamkos and Zetterberg) and I'd like to try the P92/whatever warrior equivalent. Having trouble getting good liftoff when I'm in close / on quick shots. I think I typically have to cut more than 2 inches from the intermediates as well, more like 3-4.

I don't remember your skill level but I would say that while proper stick length and appropriate flex are important, I feel most lower level players place too much emphasis on their sticks and not enough on their mechanics of the shot. Practice your wrist shot as much as possible. Put weight into your stick. Work on your weight transfer and hip rotation. Actually practicing your wrist shot in slow motion, intentionally trying to flex the stick can give you a good idea of where your body should be. Slowly work up to getting your shot off faster. Make your movements quicker.

Spend a week working on technique before you spend $100 on a new stick. New sticks are fun though ...

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

I would worry more about your technique then about the flex of the stick.

I am a skinny man (6'2 and 145 lbs) and use a senior stick with 95 Flex and have no issues hitting the top of the net from the blue line.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah dude these guys are right. Learn how to shoot the puck.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been playing for about two and a half years, and played ball hockey for maybe 4-5 years before that (shooting skill doesn't transfer at all, stickhandling sorta does though.) I've spent a lot of time firing pucks in my basement, but once I'm on skates it feels a lot different. Even on skates I'm not too bad when practicing, but then again when I'm in an actual game it feels like I can't get a decent shot off. I know buying a new stick won't fix that though, and more practice can't hurt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shooting under pressure is much more difficult. When you're on your shooting pad you can take your time setting up and aiming.

When you're in a game the puck probably isn't near your back foot, it's probably on edge, and two angry defenseman are trying to poke the puck away.

The only fix is to play under pressure more. Drop in and games, go play em.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gym work has helped me, just overall deads, squats and kettles and VIPR stuff to help with certain motions.

I scored on a one timer a few games ago where I almost had to drop to a knee and kept my chest up. No way was I flexible enough with enough strength to be able to get into that position before. Barely felt like I shot it but puck went hard and flat over the leg pads. All that core stability work helped me a ton with contested shots in traffic, more than just repeating the shot in the same situation.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 7, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I was going to the gym 3x/week back in the fall and my game was really improving as well. Then I got a wisdom tooth taken out and then it was Christmas and excuses excuses excuses and now I don't go anymore, and I've slowed back down to where I was more or less. At the very least I think I need to get into the basement and do some kind of mix of shooting pad practice and bodyweight exercise a few times a week. And maybe take the money I was going to spend on a new stick and buy an actual net to shoot at instead.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

if you're in lower rec tiers nobody is out there trying to blow someone up.

lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I was waiting for that.

Also every single game I see the Raptors play (another local team) they throw out ridiculous hits like they think its the show. Its a non checking league.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

xzzy posted:

Shooting under pressure is much more difficult. When you're on your shooting pad you can take your time setting up and aiming.

When you're in a game the puck probably isn't near your back foot, it's probably on edge, and two angry defenseman are trying to poke the puck away.

I think shooting under pressure helps a little bit. You're usually moving a little faster, maybe a little adrenaline is kicking in and there is no time to second guess yourself then you let one go and end up thinking, holy poo poo I didn't know I could shoot that hard! To me the harder shots are the ones where you receive the perfect pass, all alone, in the slot with all corners just waiting to be picked and you flub it into the goalie's chest. That's usually the situation where I slink back to the bench muttering something about stick flex or something like that.

I don't know how you guys use those intermediate 65 flex sticks. I'm not some big hulk at 5'10" 190lbs, and I find it is hard to adjust to even an 85 or an 87 if I need a stick and can't find a 95 flex at a reasonable price. I love the stiff flex sticks. If it works for you though then it works for you. Maybe I'm just too much of non-finesse grunt that just needs a big hunk of led to clunk around with. I can still hit those top corners though. I play pickup with a guy that did some work for somebody that had a whole stash of used pro sticks that he just gave away. Most were left handed but I tried one of the righty's he had (I forget which player the stick belonged to) and it was a 125 flex. That was a little too much for me. You ever hit a baseball wrong and have it ring your hands? That is what slapshots felt like with that thing. It was like playing with a piece of steel.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

The other half to this is creating time and space for yourself so you can afford a moment to look at the net and pick a general area you'd like to shoot at.

But that involves skating and stickhandling. Which are bad and impenetrably mysterious things, respectively.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Go to stick-and-puck and practice the things you want to execute well in game. I cannot stress this enough. Want to do Patrick Kane's thing where slows down to pass at the top of the circle then rips one bar down past a cheating goalie? Then go practice it for 30 minutes as often as you can.

Want to walk off the wall and fire one in off-footed like Kessel? Go walk off the wall 50 times and fire that fucker in like it's Game 7. Then go walk off the other wall 50 more times.

Belfrey Hockey has some great YouTube videos of the work great players put in before they ever do a thing in an actual game. 99% of the stuff that looks amazing and spontaneous is the result of dozens of hours of practice. Practicing this stuff slows the game down for you when you're doing it in anger. Humans are nothing but giant meat-filled pattern recognition machines, so when you get there you're brain will go, "Bleep blorp, Oh, I've seen this situation before. Executing operation x34a7b9. Bleep bloop."

The only requirement is that you don't half-rear end it. As a wise coach once told me: practice doesn't make perfect; practice makes permanent.

Go to stick-and-puck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

when you're doing it in anger.

Dangerllama posted:

Humans are nothing but giant meat-filled pattern recognition machines

These things totally align given one is an emotion and one is claiming to be void of anything related to emotion.

Hockey players are inherently emotional, because they're human, and sometimes they love blowing people up or clowning on them when the "pattern" they see may encourage a different path. This happens at every level of the sport.

Stick and puck is half of it. Gym is other half. Get the physical advantage in lower levels. Speed and stamina kills.

Dedicate your life to hockey 24/7 to get better

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

uh…

Your comment about hockey players doing dumb poo poo because hockey players love to do dumb poo poo is pretty spot on, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A new drill from the coaches this morning demonstrated how terrible I am getting a shot off coming out of a tight turn (visualization: hold puck at goal line, skate to hash marks, turn 180, shoot on net with no handling).

If you watched me do this you could safely claim I had never shot a puck in my life, that's how bad it was.

Another thing to practice. :downs:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

uh…

Your comment about hockey players doing dumb poo poo because hockey players love to do dumb poo poo is pretty spot on, though.

All of it is spot on. People get real mad in hockey and do things out of literal anger. Apologies for missing a really silly phrase whose literal meaning is far more applicable.

However your nothing but pattern recognition whatever is wildly inaccurate. Or is that another phrase that is covered in the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Alright man, this is getting ridiculous so I'm gonna do the ignore thing. Please go disagree with literally everything somebody else says for a while.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

you recognized the pattern in my replies to you

:thurman:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been pretty desperate for ice time so I went to a lower level pickup thing this morning. I hadn't skated with lower level players in quite a while and saw something I'd never noticed before. When they make just about ever y pass, just about all of the newer players made it this kind of flip pass on end thing. Like, I don't remember seeing many passes just slide along the ice, just about all of them flew through the air at some point.

Was this intentional like they were trying to sauce everything, or is that just how new players pass?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Did every pass look like a kind of out front scooping/snow shoveling motion? That seems pretty common at lower levels where folks try to "shove" the puck rather than slide it on its way.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bewbies posted:

I've been pretty desperate for ice time so I went to a lower level pickup thing this morning. I hadn't skated with lower level players in quite a while and saw something I'd never noticed before. When they make just about ever y pass, just about all of the newer players made it this kind of flip pass on end thing. Like, I don't remember seeing many passes just slide along the ice, just about all of them flew through the air at some point.

Was this intentional like they were trying to sauce everything, or is that just how new players pass?

Yes, I do this a lot of the time, I don't know why. Maybe because my on-ice passes get picked off too much? It's a bad habit though.

You guys are are right, I've been slacking on physical fitness and only playing hockey 1x/week, it's no surprise I'm not getting good results. Time to practice more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's all from not having developed technique yet, the beginners are scared of having the puck stripped so they pitch it up ice asap. They glide instead of skating, aren't bending their knees, and have their nose pointed at their toes. They end up losing the puck off the toe of their stick and it goes wild.

There's a lot of poo poo that has to happen to be able to move the puck effectively and if you're trying to learn as an adult, not much instruction.

Having Dekes McDangles streaking up center ice clapping his stick doesn't help, they're usually fast enough to get the puck wherever it ends up and it reinforces the behavior.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

It's all from not having developed technique yet, the beginners are scared of having the puck stripped so they pitch it up ice asap. They glide instead of skating, aren't bending their knees, and have their nose pointed at their toes.

You've been watching my Rat Hockey games, I see.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, I saw some film of myself.

:barf:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

bewbies posted:

This is 100% how new players *cough* our team *cough* pass. Every pass becomes a terrible floppy wrist shot because no one taught them how to do it correctly

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Swapped my fishbowl back for my cage, it's been hot as gently caress in our rink this past week. I also joined a shinny group that provides jerseys and I think they're legit made of wool or goretex or something.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Duke Chin posted:

This is 100% how new players *cough* our team *cough* pass. Every pass becomes a terrible floppy wrist shot because no one taught them how to do it correctly

Yeah, same thing happens here. It's not so bad once they get good at it (and some of my passes are perfect two line saucer passes which i'm so goddamn proud of) but lots of people don't ever learn to pass flat along the ice because they're worried it'll get intercepted.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My team basically told me to just jam the puck against the boards if I get into trouble on the corners and wait for somebody to help. Especially true on the penalty kill.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I imagine this will go away with time, but whenever I get the puck and I don't have a clear shot on goal, my instinct is to immediately pass it to anyone else on my team. :ohdear:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, it never goes away. People always try one more pass and give the opponents a free breakaway.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

No, it never goes away. People always try one more pass and give the opponents a free breakaway.

It does though. At higher levels of beer league it turns into people trying one too many dekes which lead to a free breakaway :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll have to take your word for it because I will never make it out of scrub tier.