Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Glad to hear it. Sounds like there's no worry about him making it for preseason then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cory was perfectly paid in the old CBA and way, way underpaid in the new CBA. This is some weird raptors revisionist history by some of the fans.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

dokmo posted:

Luke Kennard may be the least athletic player ever taken in the lottery.

quote:

A versatile shot maker who's not afraid of the moment, Kennard is best suited in a system where he's not going to be stuck in the corner waiting for catch and shoot opportunities, but rather running off screens (thanks to his ability to make catch and shoot jumpers, pull-ups, floaters and utilize his vision off of in-downs) and playing out of second side pick and roll, functioning more as a combo guard. He's proven that he can make quick decisions on the move and navigate a ball screen, so landing in a spot with a creative offense, where his versatility is welcomed, will be best for Kennard's maximum productivity. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Kennard-72914/ ©DraftExpress

uh oh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

dokmo posted:

Luke Kennard may be the least athletic player ever taken in the lottery.

Denzel Valentine.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Stopping rubbing the salt in. Van Gundy is not only fat, he's a racist and has only ever drafted white american players in the first round.

When you can draft someone like Donovan Mitchell what you should do is draft the unathletic guy from Duke so that you don't have to re-sign your current shooting guard but instead you trade a forward for a guy with a physical profile and game similar to Donovan Mitchell who you'll have to pay nearly as much as your former current shooting guard next year. After all the guy from Duke ran the pick and roll with 15 seniors and 7 star recruits to perfection against wake forest, he's the next Jeff Hornacek

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Away all Goats posted:

Like a year a go people were saying CoJo was on a great contract for one of the best back up pgs in the league. Now it's an overpay? Cory was an integral part of the Raptors bench that had like one of the best net ratings for the last two years.

This was kind of inevitable though with how Delon has been playing when he got minutes.

I wasn't one of those people and I never thought he was good on the Raptors! Like every other Spurs roleplayer his BPM went negative the instant he moved to another team. But I also didn't post about him much at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Is that Doug McDermott's report?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Don't take a catch and shoot guy in the lottery. Adam Morrison taught us this important lesson.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/NickFriedell/status/884120575832080384

:thunk:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jesus christ

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hmm, yes, an interesting supposition. However, I feel it necessitates a follow-up question:

what

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's true if you think cameron Payne is the equivalent of Isaiah Thomas with his busted hip

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Quoting this for the WTF?! hall of fame.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Tae posted:

Cory was perfectly paid in the old CBA and way, way underpaid in the new CBA. This is some weird raptors revisionist history by some of the fans.

Ya he was fine and paid appropriately. He was traded because he's redundant on the roster with Delon Wright around, not because he wasn't a decent rotation player like Demarre.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jack's Flow posted:

Quoting this for the WTF?! hall of fame.

Hey, he's only the head coach. He can't do all that much damage. If they're tanking it's the right way to go about it I guess

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

My favorite team's basketball coach, literally in response to a question about Cameron Payne and how he's been trash he has struggled in actual games. Says "We have faith in him because he was real good production wise on scout team."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hey, he's only the head coach. He can't do all that much damage. If they're tanking it's the right way to go about it I guess

John Paxson on Fred Hoiberg

quote:

“Fred’s challenge this offseason is to find ways to be a better leader,”

quote:

“There was too much inconsistency in the rotations and trying to plug holes from game to game,’’ Paxson said. “That’s stuff we talked to Fred about during the year, and we’ll continue to. Our expectation is our young guys will have a more defined, consistent role (this season).’’

Hoi's retort.

quote:

"I'll be honest: I wasn't thrilled," Hoiberg told the Tribune in his first comments about the incident. "And (executive vice president) John (Paxson) and I had a long talk about it the next day and I told him that. It was a great conversation. We've moved on from it and turned it into a positive with a great meeting. The important thing is we're all on the same page."

Hoiberg is aware of the perception from some circles that he has underwhelmed in his first two seasons. He doesn't waste time or energy focusing on critics but the fact he had analytics at the ready when asked about his ability to develop players seemed telling.

"We were playing as well as anybody in the Eastern Conference at the end of last season," Hoiberg said in an interview after the news conference. "Obviously, (rebuilding) is a completely different challenge. But I haven't lost any confidence in my ability to lead and do this job. I look at the way we ended last year and kept things together and played our best basketball at the most important time of the season.

Ignoring how you backed into the playoffs because the Nets decided to rest players....

Keep getting dem' checks Hoiberg.

Just a pity it has to be at the expense of my team. Maybe when you are finally fired Rondo will have retired and we can bring him on as a coach.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
(Cameron Payne tears it up against Isaiah Canaan and Jerian Grant in a couple of practices) This guy is the future!!!!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The front office chose their coach over their superstar

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Ignoring how you backed into the playoffs because the Nets decided to rest players....

Keep getting dem' checks Hoiberg.

Just a pity it has to be at the expense of my team. Maybe when you are finally fired Rondo will have retired and we can bring him on as a coach.

We played really well at the end of the season in the Eastern Conference when most teams are trying to rest if not outright tank and it led to us having to trade away our star player to get the pick we wanted

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also this gem from the loving season ending press conference

quote:

Paxson and Forman stated they're behind Hoiberg as the coach and need to do a better job equipping him with players that fit his system, but when asked what specifically Hoiberg has done well that gives them confidence he's the right coach going forward, they couldn't come up with anything except they're committed to him contractually.

Edit: Now I'm just getting mad all over again. I'm just gonna go back to watching the cubs....sigh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

The front office chose their coach over their superstar

Nah. They chose the cheap rear end not being willing to pay a coach to do nothing for 2-3 years since they know for drat sure Hoiberg isn't going to get another NBA coaching job to offset their commitment.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Luke Kennard was good in summer league. He averaged 17 ppg while shooting 48% from 3.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

Word so Fultz,,, is off until the start of the preseason then

This is like the equivalent of limb soreness in Philly injury time so he must be fine.

dokmo posted:

Here is every shot Luke Kennard missed over the first two games. see if you can spot a pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qfx7cjJUCU

The only thing I notice is that most of these are with his left but he's apparently right-handed. However I have the same issue as well.

dokmo posted:

Don't take a catch and shoot guy in the lottery. Adam Morrison taught us this important lesson.

I mean he was the literal best points per possession Pick and Roll guy in college so he's not JUST a catch and shoot guy.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Rick posted:

I mean he was the literal best points per possession Pick and Roll guy in college so he's not JUST a catch and shoot guy.

I meant his NBA role. Doug McDermott was a post up isolation guy in college but nobody saw his as anything but a catch and shoot scorer in the pros. I don't think anyone thinks Kennard has the ball skills to handle as a second option in the NBA.

And yes Kennard has scored very well in summer league.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/884124175266267136

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

That boy heals fast!

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

God bless

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

I meant his NBA role. Doug McDermott was a post up isolation guy in college but nobody saw his as anything but a catch and shoot scorer in the pros. I don't think anyone thinks Kennard has the ball skills to handle as a second option in the NBA.

And yes Kennard has scored very well in summer league.

I really do think the reason that Kennard went from projected in the 20s to the lottery was the PnR numbers, because once those started getting out there is the same moment he jumped. You're right that athleticism and ball handling might limit that in the pros. I think though, that I still would have made that pick (assuming I was drafting for fit, which Detroit always does, which I wouldn't do, but whatever) the choice basically was Kennard or Justin Jackson.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I'm imagining a season where Carroll's production is replaced full time by Serge Ibaka's and I'm crying tears of joy

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Delon continues his ascent up the lineup. Yes! Yes!!

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

lol.

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/884139192824905728

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

"Let me do everything because your franchise is a loving joke"
"No"
"Bye"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"pulled out after he couldn't come..." you say

confusing

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Maybe he drank too much

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm happy for you. He was really fun to watch and the amount of optimism going around right now about the rookies is great, I hope they ALL pan out. Also check out this love letter to Dirk, should make you proud
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/883891503323463680

Dirk Nowitzki forever. Love seeing players have/add the one legged Dirk fade. It's going to be weird to see ghosts of Dirk long after he is done.

I also hope all rookies pan out, let's hope the league just got a 96 draft amount of talent added.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Death By The Blues posted:

CJ Miles for Corey Joseph, I like it. Time for Bruno to shine (in spot minutes)

Nah he's still gonna sit on the bench, I'm just assuming the team's ready to give Delon the minutes that used to be Cory's.

Drunk Canuck posted:

I'm imagining a season where Carroll's production is replaced full time by Serge Ibaka's and I'm crying tears of joy

Maybe? A whole season of him is going to be nice, but I don't think it's going to look much different from how he was at the end of last season (which was pretty solid to be fair).

Like back when he was on OKC there was this yearly or so tradition where Westbrook or Durant would get injured and people would go "yeah Ibaka's gonna step up and take on a bigger offfensive load, let's see what he's got" and then he'd look the exact same. Like obviously replacing Carroll's production is very different than replacing Durants, but even with Carroll he was putting up 14ppg and I just don't see that really changing. He's a great player and about as solid of a third or fourth option as you'll ever find but I'm skeptical that his production will ever go up cause it seems he's just not comfortable in taking on that role (and I mean he probably doesn't need to be, he's pretty drat good at what it is that he does).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

dokmo posted:

Does this apply to Monk, or is the idea that he projects as a more versatile player in the pros

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Can't say I'm surprised. Dolan and Mills just want a yes-man. Allan Houston up next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

👍

Good summer league . See him in preseason

• Locked thread