Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Right, that was probably a bad description. When there's a resolution change for a retro console, the feed goes black as the device has to renegotiate the resolution. When the device has finished that, the display resumes. There's no downtime on a finished recording though, it just goes straight from point A to point B, so live commentary would get desynced from the video since the recording doesn't keep the few seconds of dead air where it's figuring out the new resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

Right, that was probably a bad description. When there's a resolution change for a retro console, the feed goes black as the device has to renegotiate the resolution. When the device has finished that, the display resumes. There's no downtime on a finished recording though, it just goes straight from point A to point B, so live commentary would get desynced from the video since the recording doesn't keep the few seconds of dead air where it's figuring out the new resolution.

Oh, that seems easy enough to work around if I'm recording audio and video separately and editing them together later..

Thanks for clarifying.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Someone may have already said something about this, but the link in the OP to the guide on image formats is broken.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It looks like R1CH took that down.

The short answer is "use JPEG for anything that's 'photographic quality', PNG for anything that's pixel art."

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

If you want to read the page, though, it's on the archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20160826072543/http://old.r1ch.net/img-formats/

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Got a bit of a question about encoding via Adobe Premiere: is 2-pass encoding worth using? I was told once upon a time to use that, however I wasn't told why. I'm curious if setting that up for a single pass would reduce time & size for encoding, and if there are any tradeoffs quality-wise.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
For the purposes of video uploading, No, all it will do is add to the encoding time without a visible increase in quality. it also depends on the game. for instance if you are encoding a pixel art style game there will be no difference between single pass and 2-pass. I've tried 2 pass and single pass before and was never able to tell the difference.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Two pass should, in theory, offer smaller file sizes with no loss in quality. Whether or not this actually matters depends a lot on your exact usage scenario: if all you're doing is uploading to YouTube, even then it depends on whether the size savings make it take less time to upload than the extra pass took. (Chances are very, very small that it will, unless you're still on dialup or something. 2-pass should create smaller files, but not that much smaller.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The intention of multi-pass encoding is to be able to fit a video programme better within some specific bandwidth limits. Most common use is making encodes that fit a specific medium e.g. Video-CD or DVD video, where there is a fixed maximum size, and a maximum transfer rate off the medium. When the encoder knows ahead of time what parts of the video are more or less complex it can make better quality decisions overall.
But if your goal is to make an intermediate version for upload to a video sharing site, which will re-encode your video regardless, it's better to encode to a fixed quality version, as large as you can afford. With a fixed-quality input, the video site will have a better chance of making good quality output. And obviously always upload an as high-quality version as you can afford, taking your own storage and upload bandwidth into account.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
What's the best way to bulk resize a bunch of screenshots? I'm taking some from VBA of a GBC game and the screenshots are tiny.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Zore posted:

What's the best way to bulk resize a bunch of screenshots? I'm taking some from VBA of a GBC game and the screenshots are tiny.

IrfanView has a powerful batch resize / conversion option that gives you a lot of options to play with. It can handle a simple integer resize pretty easily.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

TheMcD posted:

IrfanView has a powerful batch resize / conversion option that gives you a lot of options to play with. It can handle a simple integer resize pretty easily.

Click "Use advance options (for bulk resize)" and make sure "Use Resample function (Better Quality)" is unchecked in your case and resize by 200% or 300% (e: GBC might even want 400%, experiment and see which looks best to you).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
IrfanView should be fine. You can also install imagemagick and use its "convert" command in the commandline.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mega64 posted:

Click "Use advance options (for bulk resize)" and make sure "Use Resample function (Better Quality)" is unchecked in your case and resize by 200% or 300% (e: GBC might even want 400%, experiment and see which looks best to you).
This is what I use (when I don't have to crop images like I do for DS games, and sometimes even then).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If you take the screenshots with an external program (like the aforementioned IrfanView) instead of VBA's built-in one, they should automatically be the same size as what you played the game in without the need for additional size adjustments.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Ok I'm trying to use Rightload with LPix for the first time in like 6 years, but having trouble.

I've downloaded all the programs and files fresh. I moved plugin files to the plugin folder, and the root files to the root folder. I am logged into LPix. I entered my login information for LPix into Rightload, and entered a valid folder name.

Even with all that, I get "Upload failed - Error: Transfer Failed".

I tried uploading to imgur just to see and got the same error, so I have no idea what the problem could be.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Rightload is super old and requires a bunch of hacky fixes to get working with LPix, all the cool kids are using ShareX now.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Sure enough ShareX works fine!

Unfortunately I just uploaded 655 files at once and now the upload complete sound effect has been burned into my skull.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Actually while I'm thinking about it, is there an easy way to get [ img ] links into a post without having to copy/paste them all manually? I don't see anything about that in the OP.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
RightloadURLAutoReplace. https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/RightloadUrlAutoReplace/releases

Face Copy is also a lifesaver. https://github.com/AdmiralCurtiss/FaceCopy/releases

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Assuming you're on ShareX now, you can copy your links with img tags, which also works if you select multiple images/links.

Right click file/files in sharex:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rightload is still the king imo, takes like 5 minutes to set up and the plugin you need is right at the bottom of the lpix page.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

This sounds like they'd be very helpful if I could even remotely understand how to use them.

CJacobs posted:

Rightload is still the king imo, takes like 5 minutes to set up and the plugin you need is right at the bottom of the lpix page.

I did download the plugin from that page, it fails to upload anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Rightload has worked fine for me with the one funny exception of it giving me an access violation error whenever I try to upload an image with the word "cherry" in its filename. The file still gets uploaded fine despite the program claiming otherwise though.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 25, 2017

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Is LPIX's api access undergoing maintenance? I keep getting an "err6" response when trying with ShareX, and Rightload just fails outright.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Danny Glands posted:

Is LPIX's api access undergoing maintenance? I keep getting an "err6" response when trying with ShareX, and Rightload just fails outright.

Baldurk mentioned it'd be down in the sandcastle.

baldurk posted:

FYI I'm going to be moving the lparchive/lpix/etc server to a new host on saturday morning my time - so somewhere between 1am-4am US time most likely.

It should be fairly transparent, I'll close lpix for uploads on the old server, make sure any recent uploads are transferred, then swap the DNS. After a few hours the new server should be responding to all queries and everything will go on as normal from there. If you find anything that's broken or whatever just let me know, I think I checked most things but I probably forgot some little thing somewhere.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So running into a bit of an odd issue with a video I'm encoding in Megui. For some reason when I encode the video, the sound gets massively muted; I've checked the source video and the audio is fine, and it even sounds fine when I'm previewing it in Virtualdub. But for some reason after I encode it, the audio is just turned down super low. I've been trying a few experiments, such as just encoding maybe the first 6 minutes with the starting bit of edits and trims and that pops out a video with completely normal audio volume. So I'm not sure if there's something else I'm maybe doing wrong and was wondering if you guys had any ideas. Also for reference this is the bloated avs script I'm running:

quote:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2-2.21-icl\x86\ffms2.dll")
import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2-2.21-icl\x86\FFMS2.avsi")
FFMpegSource2("C:\Users\Computer\Desktop\2017-07-29 16-00-18.mp4", vtrack=-1, atrack=-1, threads=1)
PointResize(960,720)
Trim(375,9588)++FadeIn(Trim(10260,27258),60)++ChangeSpeed(Trim(27259,35424),3)++Trim(35425,39854)++Trim(40200,43524)++FadeIn(Trim(44252,44575),60)++Trim(45085,56052)++Trim(56580,63411)++FadeIn(Trim(65475,66806),60)++Trim(67268,73590)++
FadeIn(Trim(74681,75337),60)++Trim(75815,76105)++Trim(77145,85140)++Trim(85257,88651)++FadeIn(Trim(89360,96495),60)++Trim(96825,103650)++Trim(112200,116844)++FadeIn(Trim(118922,120357),60)++Trim(120695,126845)++Trim(130720,143215)++
Trim(143680,154078)++FadeIn(Trim(154730,172910),60)++Trim(173300,205170)++Trim(205480,209331)

function ChangeSpeed(clip c, float rate)
{
orig = FrameRate(c)
newvid = AssumeFPS(c, orig * rate)
return ChangeFPS(newvid, c).AudioDub(c.TimeStretch(tempo=100*rate))
}

I know it's a lot of trims but the game has like a billion 20+ second long loads that I try to get rid of. And I don't think any are skipping to odd times or out of order, and I'm not doing anything super odd with it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

discworld is all I read posted:

So running into a bit of an odd issue with a video I'm encoding in Megui. For some reason when I encode the video, the sound gets massively muted; I've checked the source video and the audio is fine, and it even sounds fine when I'm previewing it in Virtualdub. But for some reason after I encode it, the audio is just turned down super low. I've been trying a few experiments, such as just encoding maybe the first 6 minutes with the starting bit of edits and trims and that pops out a video with completely normal audio volume. So I'm not sure if there's something else I'm maybe doing wrong and was wondering if you guys had any ideas. Also for reference this is the bloated avs script I'm running:

I know it's a lot of trims but the game has like a billion 20+ second long loads that I try to get rid of. And I don't think any are skipping to odd times or out of order, and I'm not doing anything super odd with it.

I know this isn't much more than a work-around, but if the VirtualDub preview is fine, can't you save the audio from that and then dub it over the video at the end of the script? That might let you bypass whatever weirdness is going on with how Megui handles your billions of trims.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Geemer posted:

I know this isn't much more than a work-around, but if the VirtualDub preview is fine, can't you save the audio from that and then dub it over the video at the end of the script? That might let you bypass whatever weirdness is going on with how Megui handles your billions of trims.
So I was able to just encode the base video without any trims and it still managed to pop out a video with massively muted sound. So I just went with your idea of ripping the wav via virtualdub and then re-purposing that to mux into a file to replace the audio in the mp4. It's just super strange that something in this video is muting the sound; I mean it can't be the length cause I've already done longer source videos in the past and my script isn't really different. If anything, I just hope it doesn't become a recurring problem.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can you post your encoding settings?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

nielsm posted:

Can you post your encoding settings?

It's pretty much the default encoding I've been using for a while. Just scratchpad defaults and either an auto-encode bitrate of 1000-1500 since I'm not doing more modern, fancy looking titles.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Using OBS for the first time, I got it to capture the game screen by adding it as a source and I'm just outputting lossless so it all looks fine, but I don't have any audio. I tried adding an audio source in the same way I added a video capture source and while it's listed in the sources and is capturing the right audio channel, in theory, I don't actually have any audio in the video. I tried to google it but all the explanations are 15 year olds in youtube videos, I figure I'm just missing something obvious. Any ideas?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Usually you should just be able to enable Desktop Audio capture in the Mixer pane:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah that is there too it's just not picking up any audio for some reason. I guess there must be some weird problem with my audio output.

Might just go back to using fraps then.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Reboot, to make sure all drivers and audio settings are stable and fully reset. Then check the settings for Desktop Audio capture that it's set to the appropriate device, usually Default is correct.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I killed a bunch of background processes, closed skype, anything else that might be using the audio and bogarting it and then relaunched OBS and it's picking up the desktop audio now.

Who knows what it was but at least it's working vOv

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm having some trouble finding any of the sound files whatsoever in my Steam copy of Dream Daddy. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an OST for sale to make my life a little easier, either. Has anyone already taken a look at the game files? I'm trying to dig around in there with Unity Asset Extractor, but so far, no joy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm trying to figure out how audio sample rate works.

My setup supports either 44.1kHz@16 bit or 96@16/24. I think I can get it to do 44.1@24 if I reinstall the driver or something; it's probably just the Scarlett Solo that's plugged into the wrong port.

OBS Studio accepts either 44.1 or 48. (Maybe it's an ASIO thing.)

48 *seems* is the preferred format for Twitch and YouTube (AAC), but it doesn't seem long since 44.1 was the default.

OBS doesn't specify audio format, but .mp4 seems to be the preferred container, and I assume it uses AAC by default?

My question is what you need to do in terms of audio settings; I don't have an 48 MHz setting in Windows, so is there any issue with using 96@24? 44.1 seems like a standard sample rate, but according to Twitch and YouTube, I should probably go with 48, right?

If I use .mp4 in OBS Studio, is it going to use AAC? I don't edit my OBS Studios further, so I have no idea what the audio and video streams are beyond what the settings say.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 5, 2017

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The audio frequency usually determines the quality of the sample. For example if you have your mic set to 44Khz and then take it to 48khz you may notice a slight difference in how clear it sounds.
Clarity can also depend on the mic you use. For instance having your setting be 48khz in windows won't do much if you have a crap mic that sounds pretty bad.
From what you said though it seems like you are using an xlr mic so you might be fine there.

Going above 48khz you may not be able tell a the difference. Stepping up to 96 will also cost more overhead as in processing power and ram for something that noone may notice and not all programs work right when using 96khz.

MP4 does utilize AAC as it's container for Audio which is fine since Programs such as adobe premiere utilize that particular codec when encoding the final product.

MP4 is the format I use for video recording since I utilize Adobe premiere to do my editing and final output.

For streaming it doesn't matter since obs will only output to mp4 when you record.
For this you just have to keep in mind the bitrate you set. Twitch and youtube usually recommend 128 as the max for good sound. Just remember that the 128 is added on top of what you set your upload to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Cheers on the info.

OBS Studio has also added MKV as container output, but I'm just going to use MP4 since it'll probably be transcoded by whatever I upload it to.