Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Is it possible to stay overnight at KLIA2 without having a boarding pass? Flight's at 6am so I'll have to check in around 4ish, but I'm guessing I can't check in the night before? Is there like a Starbucks or something that's accessible for non boarding pass people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

You can check in online?

Klia2 is practically a giant mall before the check in area, you'll be fine if you just need a Starbucks (and more) to hang about. There's even a hotel there

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Yes, I spent like 10 hours overnight in KLIA2 about two months ago, didn't have any problems. Lots of stuff is closed but there was a Starbucks open and a few small things.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You can check in online?

Klia2 is practically a giant mall before the check in area, you'll be fine if you just need a Starbucks (and more) to hang about. There's even a hotel there

I remembered about online check in right after I posted, haha.

Alright, thanks, should be a good chance to just get some work done

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't think I've flown through there in like 8 years, but last time I did it was a giant tin, barely air conditioned barn with shoeprints all over the toilet seats, heh. Sounds like they've seriously upgraded.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Travel advice from 5 years on is mostly irrelevant

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Scylo posted:

Is it possible to stay overnight at KLIA2 without having a boarding pass? Flight's at 6am so I'll have to check in around 4ish, but I'm guessing I can't check in the night before? Is there like a Starbucks or something that's accessible for non boarding pass people

Go and use the AirAsia premium lounge. It costs I think about 50MYR per head, and it has free buffet food, unlimited non-alcoholic drinks, hot showers, and blazing fast wifi.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Sounds much better than a Starbucks so will definitely do that

kru
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

Travel advice from 5 years on is mostly irrelevant

Reindeer with his grandad advice. Keep it real, jackass!!!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Guys, I'm pretty sure KLIA2 is exactly like it was 8 years ago. Don't go. If you must, be sure to take shoes with excellent road traction so you don't slip off the toilet. Beware, this is travel advice.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Lol, if you want to buy the best vapes and/fidget spinner this guy LITERARY has no clue.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Spin classes are just Hell, I tell ya!

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Also there's a capsule hotel attached to Klia2. Its a fuckin long rear end walk but it's an option. I did 6 hours there, it was expensive but worth it imo for a bed and a shower, and was pretty quiet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Nose picking is the best fidget spinner

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Also there's a capsule hotel attached to Klia2. Its a fuckin long rear end walk but it's an option. I did 6 hours there, it was expensive but worth it imo for a bed and a shower, and was pretty quiet.

Do you mean the Tune Hotel just outside the airport, or the capsule place on the ground floor near the taxi and bus counters? I haven't been to the former, but would definitely not recommend the latter! I'm not a light sleeper by any means, but since you've only got a curtain between you and the rest of the hotel it's really hard to sleep. People constantly walking past, the door to reception opening and closing, someone snoring or chatting 10 capsules away, etc.

Yeah I guess if you have no other choice it's an option, but I'd make it last rather than first resort.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah I'm really poo poo at sleeping so I already know sleep probably isn't an option for me, unless I'm willing to pay for a hotel. In hindsight I shouldn't have picked a 9 hour overnight stay for a visa change.

Edit - took a chance in the capsule hotel, now some guys snoring loud as anything and it smells like farts

Centusin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 10, 2017

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Guess I just got lucky enough to pass out quickly and have a quiet enough night. Earplugs are your friends! Maybe just cut your losses and head to the AirAsia premier lounge?

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So we've been here a bit longer in KL, Malaysia. Update.

Malls, Malls, Malls and Malls. So many Malls.
Unless you have a drivers license, Uber or the Train seems good to move around.

Also, this place is HUGE.
Sunway lagoon is ok for couples but great for families.
The theme park inside times square is impressive but not something I would recommend.

Going to take a early bus to Georgetown. After that we're going to langkawi!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

In my experience, bad pop music will magically follow you from bar to bar and restaurant to restaurant. Somehow you will leave one place and the song cuts off and when you walk into the next place it is magically playing at the same spot. When I first arrived it was La La La by Kylie, then it was everything by the Black Eyed Peas, then Danza Kuduro. Now I'm not on the tourist circuit much, but it's good to hear that the trend continues!

I'm a Black Eyed Peas era boy

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm a Black Eyed Peas era boy
Sean Kingston Beautiful Girls was my first experience with this

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Welp, made it to HCMC. The good news is it isn't any hotter or muggier than Florida so that won't be too much of an adjustment.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Probably heading to Burma in November. We'll have about 2 weeks there, and about 4 days are already spoken for (hopefully) at an island in the south so we'd have about 10 days for touring around. I put together a rough itinerary of an 8 day trip through the standard Yangon-mandalay-bagan-Inle loop and was wondering if I should add new locations or just add more time to where we are.

My fiance has some burmese coworkers who were pretty down on Yangon and Mandalay and said not to spend much time there. She is worried about getting sick of temples.

Should we keep Yangon and Mandalay to just a day each? Without about 4 days for Bagan and Inle, that'd be 4 extra days we'd have to see another region. Or we could just add an extra to everywhere and go slower. Or stay in Bangkok longer

We were thinking about doing a boat ride from Mandalay to Bagan and budgeting a day for that. Anyone have any experience with that?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Springfield Fatts posted:

Welp, made it to HCMC. The good news is it isn't any hotter or muggier than Florida so that won't be too much of an adjustment.

I always wanted to go to Florida, growing up in SEA the humidity isn't that bad. Just give me cold showers!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Kase Im Licht posted:

Probably heading to Burma in November. We'll have about 2 weeks there, and about 4 days are already spoken for (hopefully) at an island in the south so we'd have about 10 days for touring around. I put together a rough itinerary of an 8 day trip through the standard Yangon-mandalay-bagan-Inle loop and was wondering if I should add new locations or just add more time to where we are.

My fiance has some burmese coworkers who were pretty down on Yangon and Mandalay and said not to spend much time there. She is worried about getting sick of temples.

Should we keep Yangon and Mandalay to just a day each? Without about 4 days for Bagan and Inle, that'd be 4 extra days we'd have to see another region. Or we could just add an extra to everywhere and go slower. Or stay in Bangkok longer

We were thinking about doing a boat ride from Mandalay to Bagan and budgeting a day for that. Anyone have any experience with that?

Haven't done a boat trip from Mandalay to Bagan, sounds interesting and better than the usual buses!

To be honest I wasn't super taken with Mandalay, you can do the main few things there in a day and otherwise I didn't find it super interesting. Yangon is more interesting, so you could probably do two days there and a single day in Mandalay. If you had a bit more time you could head further north-east into Shan State, to places like Goktiek Viaduct which is really cool.

If you're active folks you could do an overnight trek to Inle Lake, that's quite nice! You start at Kalaw and do either a one-night or two-night trek through the hills down to the lake with some great views. Lots of local interaction as well, just people going about their farming and what not.

There's a Myanmar thread buried a page or two back in this subforum where there was a bunch of tips and advice, maybe give that a read? It might be archived though so you can't bump it.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

So, I slightly shitfaced and bought a one way ticket to Bangkok for the end of September. Luckily I also managed to find a bungalow with Internet on Koh Samui to work from so it might all turn out alright. I'm contemplating taking the Sleeper train down to the island. Good idea? Bad idea? The flight is more expensive than what I paid for Copenhagen to Bangkok, what's up with that.

After that I think I'll go to Da Nang. Maybe.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Mulozon Empuri posted:

I'm in Da Nang! :toot:

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

I took that as a kind of recommendation and booked a trip to Da Nang.

I'll book the train as well so I can stop thinking about transport. Can't be that bad..

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Mulozon Empuri posted:

So, I slightly shitfaced and bought a one way ticket to Bangkok for the end of September. Luckily I also managed to find a bungalow with Internet on Koh Samui to work from so it might all turn out alright. I'm contemplating taking the Sleeper train down to the island. Good idea? Bad idea? The flight is more expensive than what I paid for Copenhagen to Bangkok, what's up with that.

Fly to Surat Thani Airport and get a boat to Koh Samui for a fraction of the price. Nok Air do that route but shop around.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, the train is tolerable for <4-5 hours. After that it becomes ridiculous. Bus would be more direct and comfortable, but, as stated, fly to Surat flight+bus+ferry combo makes more sense. Also, you can bus it to Chumphon and take the ferry from there, but it runs the opposite circuit, so takes longer in the water to get to Samui. At this point, give me hours on a boat staring up at the sky and sleeping, I'll take it, heh.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, the train is tolerable for <4-5 hours. After that it becomes ridiculous. Bus would be more direct and comfortable, but, as stated, fly to Surat flight+bus+ferry combo makes more sense. Also, you can bus it to Chumphon and take the ferry from there, but it runs the opposite circuit, so takes longer in the water to get to Samui. At this point, give me hours on a boat staring up at the sky and sleeping, I'll take it, heh.

So agreed. A bigass speed ferry is 100000x better than any bus/microbus with shitass a.c. and a cracked out driver.

In good weather, that is. In bad weather, 50/50.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
Some more advice solicitation... I'm going to be doing my CELTA in Bangkok in September. Any recommendations for a long-ish term place to stay near the Sala Daeng BTS station? After being in Singapore I kinda forgot what Thai prices are like. Maybe 15-20k baht for a month sounds reasonable? It would be nice if it had a pool and a gym too, but I've been spoiled.

And hopefully I'll FINALLY be able to meet some Bangkok goons there.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shnicker posted:

Some more advice solicitation... I'm going to be doing my CELTA in Bangkok in September. Any recommendations for a long-ish term place to stay near the Sala Daeng BTS station? After being in Singapore I kinda forgot what Thai prices are like. Maybe 15-20k baht for a month sounds reasonable? It would be nice if it had a pool and a gym too, but I've been spoiled.

What kind of budget are you on? You can almost definitely find a place to stay close to where you want to be for less than 10k a month, but if you have the money then why not pay more I guess.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Pirate Radar posted:

What kind of budget are you on? You can almost definitely find a place to stay close to where you want to be for less than 10k a month, but if you have the money then why not pay more I guess.

I guess I wouldn't mind going up to 20,000 baht for a month if the location was good, had a pool and gym, etc. It would be a lot easier if places would respond to my emails.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Vietnam goons, some cell help.

I got my SIM switched over to Viettell and registered but no one understands what I mean when I try to get mobile data. It's a 4G SIM, and I can up the talk/text no problem but every time I ask about data everyone in the shops I ask just refer me to the same 50kVND talk/text tickets. Is there something I'm not understanding or not getting across?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Shnicker posted:

We're pretty cool.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I got my SIM switched over to Viettell and registered but no one understands what I mean when I try to get mobile data. It's a 4G SIM, and I can up the talk/text no problem but every time I ask about data everyone in the shops I ask just refer me to the same 50kVND talk/text tickets. Is there something I'm not understanding or not getting across?

it may sound silly but try pointing at the tickets and say "facebook? or "4G have?" or simply point to the facebook app on your phone, or maybe show that it is not working. If they don't understand after all that then Its very possible that Viettell doesn't do prepaid data, and you'll need a monthly plan.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

https://vietteltelecom.vn/di-dong/chi-tiet-dich-vu/QXJ0aWNs157f380811f903

Thats a link to their prepaid Tourist package. I have no idea how long you're staying or if you live there, but poking around on their site once Google translate does it's thing to it seems to indicate that there'sall kinds of data options prepaid.

That being said, when I got Vinaphone I am fairly certain they offered two types of sims - 1. Data, talk, text. 2. Only talk/text. Maybe find an actual Viettel shop if available?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shnicker posted:

I guess I wouldn't mind going up to 20,000 baht for a month if the location was good, had a pool and gym, etc. It would be a lot easier if places would respond to my emails.

Idk then, sounds like your budget's bigger than mine was. Good luck finding a place!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
RE: Ally McBeal & I LIKE COOKIE

Thanks, I was in an actual Viettel shop since I was registering the SIM. I'm here for 2+ years so it made sense. None of the employees seemed to grasp what I was saying even though they had a few fliers about the 4G stuff in the store. I felt like an rear end in a top hat not able to speak Vietnamese myself and didn't want to go full tourist by pointing and repeating in slower English "IN-TER-NET?" Either way my wife's company is doing a meet & greet with new arrivals next week so I'm sure they can shed some light on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

What city are you living in? And is your wife Vietnamese?

Vietnamese are extremely proud about how impossibly difficult their language is to learn. Nobody expects you to use Vietnamese at all beyond hello and thank you. You shouldn't worry about coming across as a stupid foreigner because you already are a stupid foreigner. You just have to accept it and own it. Soon you'll be a pro at pointing and mimeing (miming?). Just smile, be patient and have fun with it. I also highly recommend downloading the google translate Vietnamese language pack if you havnt already. Using the translator and passing your phone back and fourth with whoever your trying to communicate with will also work if your bad at charades.