Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still want an ABC Warriors movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Look you might be able to stretch 2 seasons out of it but once they get to Z, fights over.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I kind of want there to be a 2018 remake of the 1984 2001 sequel 2010.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Entropic posted:

I kind of want there to be a 2018 remake of the 1984 2001 sequel 2010.

Solve for X

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually really like 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

Once you get past the random dolphin house bits with the kid at the beginning it's a good movie.

Roy Scheider, John Lithgow, Bob Balaban and Helen Mirren are all great, the effects all hold up pretty well for an '80s movie (the Jupiter stuff looks great), it has a story that actually makes sense, and it's actually the source of some of the iconic bits that people misremember as being in 2001. ("My God, it's full of stars" and the "ALL THESE WORLDS" message).

The cold war stuff dates it horribly, but you just have to take it as an interesting product of its era.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PostNouveau posted:

Also they recently found out the T-Rex didn't have feathers, so the coolest dinosaur is safe.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/t-rex-skin-was-not-covered-feathers-study-says-180963603/

Actually no:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxE68c9rYa0

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's because it looks bad. nobody was real upset when it turned out trex didn't have kangaroo posture cuz it looks cooler the way it really was.

You're a massive idiot, you don't know what a feathered dinosaur looks like. Nobody does. Jesus why do people get so upset about this idea.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

PostNouveau posted:

They used reptile DNA so no feathers. There I fixed it for you.

Wait, they resurrected Jesse James with reptile DNA? I definitely need to watch it all the way through

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You monster

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khwarezm posted:

You're a massive idiot, you don't know what a feathered dinosaur looks like. Nobody does. Jesus why do people get so upset about this idea.

they looked like giant birds sans beaks most likely. birds are my least favorite class.

gently caress cladistics for making them dinosaurs.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

they looked like giant birds sans beaks most likely. birds are my least favorite class.

gently caress cladistics for making them dinosaurs.

Man, birds are cool, when you notice that Dromaeosaurus like Velociraptor was more like a toothy, flightless eagle that was occupying the niche of a wolf or cat you realize that they aren't really any less 'tough'. In my mind it makes them seem like a more real animal than the emaciated naked turkey/lizard chimera monsters of yore. It would be cool to see something seriously try and recreate that for once.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this looks way cooler:

birds just are lame in general. now our cool scaly monsters are the drag queens of the jurassic.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this looks way cooler:

birds just are lame in general. now our cool scaly monsters are the drag queens of the jurassic.

I always hated that illustration, it looks like someone stitched an iguana's head to a kangaroo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sorry to say friend you just have bad taste in dinos.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Is jurrasic world 2 out yet?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I have the objectively best taste in dinosaurs, look at my av.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Dinosaurs are cool, feathers or not

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Entropic posted:

I actually really like 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

Once you get past the random dolphin house bits with the kid at the beginning it's a good movie.

Roy Scheider, John Lithgow, Bob Balaban and Helen Mirren are all great, the effects all hold up pretty well for an '80s movie (the Jupiter stuff looks great), it has a story that actually makes sense, and it's actually the source of some of the iconic bits that people misremember as being in 2001. ("My God, it's full of stars" and the "ALL THESE WORLDS" message).

The cold war stuff dates it horribly, but you just have to take it as an interesting product of its era.

Yes, it was a perfectly serviceable audience-friendly popcorn movie that had Roy Schieder solving everything like a big heroic American so you didn't have to think. I saw it when I was young and dumb and liked it; I watched it back-to-back with 2001 after I turned 30 and it came off really poorly in comparison.

And nobody but you remembered two things in 2001. :)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
they need to re:view 2001

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can't wait for some retard to say 2001 is bad

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can't wait for some retard to say 2001 is bad

It's me. It's great technically but it's a poo poo film to try and follow and to me it's not enjoyable.

I really liked the book though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the book is great.

I saw the digital restoration last year and I loved every minute of it. It has this reputation of being a really dry and dour hard sci fi but a lot of it is really funny and the stargate sequence isn't even as long as I remembered. I think that Bored the poo poo out of me as a kid.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like both the movie and the book, but the movie leaves out way too many cool sci-fi ideas that I love.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It's a great movie especially the 30 minute long kaleidoscope special effect and nonsensical "deep" ending

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

starkebn posted:

they need to re:view 2001

No what they need to do is finish editing that Wheel of the Worst that's been sitting around since a week or more ago.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I still don't understand all that happened in 2001 but it looked really cool

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

starkebn posted:

It's me. It's great technically but it's a poo poo film to try and follow and to me it's not enjoyable.

I really liked the book though.

I really want to like it but I can't. I saw it for the first time in the theater in '68 and it's such a beautiful yet disappointing film. I've rewatched it several more times over the years because there are such gorgeous images, but I honestly can't say I like it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

I like both the movie and the book, but the movie leaves out way too many cool sci-fi ideas that I love.

Yea, the book explores such cool sci fi themes that the moves never touches on.

HIJK posted:

I still don't understand all that happened in 2001 but it looked really cool

You literally have to read the book to understand the ending of the movie.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Eastbound Spider posted:

Dinosaurs are cool, feathers or not

True. I also like other prehistoric animals such as giant ground sloths, glyptodons, thylacosmilus, terror birds, andrewsarchus, gigantipithecus, titanoboa, megalania, dunkleosteus, and many others.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so i'm watching cinema sins video on jaws because it's a movie i know like the back of my hand and literally the first three "sins" aren't even sins what the gently caress is wrong with this channel. they even count two sins for one "sin". why do all their videos have millions of views.

edit: jesus christ it gets worse.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 10, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

so i'm watching cinema sins video on jaws because it's a movie i know like the back of my hand and literally the first three "sins" aren't even sins what the gently caress is wrong with this channel. they even count two sins for one "sin". why do all their videos have millions of views.

It's insanity. They're just jokes, but they're not funny. He also does a bunch of weirdly creepy poo poo like dinging hot actresses for "not giving me a lapdance in this scene."

I have no idea why it's popular. Also, the "Sin Timer" is the dumbest bullshit ever, because YouTube has a loving timer bar already.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

WampaLord posted:

You literally have to read the book to understand the ending of the movie.

The book is very interesting if quite dry. I'm just baffled why the movie doesn't make things a little more explicit like the book does. :psyduck:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

khwarezm posted:

I always hated that illustration, it looks like someone stitched an iguana's head to a kangaroo.

sounds about right imo

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the book is great.

I saw the digital restoration last year and I loved every minute of it. It has this reputation of being a really dry and dour hard sci fi but a lot of it is really funny and the stargate sequence isn't even as long as I remembered. I think that Bored the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Every forgets this about Kubrick, he could be really funny a lot of the time.

Not just the obvious Dr Strangelove. Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange have some loving hilarious scenes.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 10, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really want to like it but I can't. I saw it for the first time in the theater in '68 and it's such a beautiful yet disappointing film. I've rewatched it several more times over the years because there are such gorgeous images, but I honestly can't say I like it.

Good grief are you a hundred

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm 4 minutes into this cinema sins video and the only actual "sin" is a continuity error in the scene where quint scratches the chalk board. but spielberg is the director who probably gives the least poo poo about continuity.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
philistines

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The 2001 comic was great if you're into weird Jack Kirby stuff.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

a star war betamax posted:

Good grief are you a hundred

lol

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Red letter medai 2017: You are going to have to read the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

edit: jesus christ it gets worse.

Me and my one friend love hate-watching cinemasins because we like to yell at the voice in the TV about how wrong it is

• Locked thread