Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Endorph posted:

Keep in mind these gacha prices are actually way lower than most gacha games.
I am beginning to suspect the gacha life is not for me. Still, I like this one.

rio posted:

I'm enjoying looking up some of these historical characters. Like, as a professional musician I know a whole lot about Mozart but I didn't know that he met and proposed to Marie Antoinette. And I didn't know Gilles' history, or the guy who executed Marie, or the Emporor of Rome whose name escapes me. The anime renditions of these characters is funny too.
It's my favorite thing about the series, honestly. I love it when fiction reinvents mythological or historical figures, so half the fun of the franchise for me is the equivalent of smashing together two action figures with made-up superpowers in a sandbox.

Like, don't get me wrong, the Fate franchise and the Nasuverse in general have a lot more going for them than just pulp historical domain battles, and I like stories that aren't afraid to be silly and serious at the same time, but it was definitely the initial draw that attracted me to the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Who doesn't know Nero?

also why is your icon so huge

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

MotU posted:

i liked all the dialogue well enough but ive had no basis in any other Fate stuff

i need a primer.

All you really need to know is that Rin's anus is defenseless

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

It's my favorite thing about the series, honestly. I love it when fiction reinvents mythological or historical figures, so half the fun of the franchise for me is the equivalent of smashing together two action figures with made-up superpowers in a sandbox.

Have you met Attila the Hun yet?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MY CIVILIZATION SENSE IS TINGLING.

SOMEONE IS TRYING TO PROSPER.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Who doesn't know Nero?

also why is your icon so huge
well, there's four roman emprors in the game (romulus was technically a king but whatever). I could see someone not having much familiarity with romulus

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Oh, hey, if it isn't a Fate/Grand Order thread. I actually picked this up on its NA release, having watched and read F/SN many years ago. Memories of Saber and Lancer and Gil quickly rushed back to me when I started playing this.

I'm enjoying it well enough right now, having just beat Orleans. Helps that I got pretty lucky with getting Vlad and Gil, but I'm sure that'll be it for me getting 5* for free until sometime next year.

I'm still wondering what free 4* Servant to get. I don't think I need Herc and Emiya having gotten the aforementioned 5* Servants already (plus the Cat), and I've got two 4* Assassins. Saber Lily was pretty awful to start, but she's getting better as she levels up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Like, don't get me wrong, the Fate franchise and the Nasuverse in general have a lot more going for them than just pulp historical domain battles, and I like stories that aren't afraid to be silly and serious at the same time, but it was definitely the initial draw that attracted me to the stuff.

I mean, I've experimented with several now for a decent amount of time (this, this when it originally released, Granblue, FE:Heroes), and have yet to spend a single dollar on any of them. While I'll probably be tempted to throw down some case at some point, like the guaranteed 5* anniversary stuff, in general I just make due with what I have (though the easy starting rerolls certainly helped). And this one in particular has free Servants that still work perfectly well for all content, so other than chasing particular stuff because I want it it's plenty possible to do so. I still have plenty of fun with them, even without necessarily getting everything I want (though I've now dropped FE:Heroes).

Not that the gacha prices aren't crazy, but just keep yourself in check and set limits on how much you're willing to spend if you do choose to do so, and just accept you missed whatever you were aiming for if you still fail. Same principle as gambling, just set yourself a limit and don't exceed it.

Endorph posted:

well, there's four roman emprors in the game (romulus was technically a king but whatever). I could see someone not having much familiarity with romulus

I think you will find that Julius Caesar was never an emperor either. So really only two. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nick Biped posted:

I'm still wondering what free 4* Servant to get. I don't think I need Herc and Emiya having gotten the aforementioned 5* Servants already (plus the Cat), and I've got two 4* Assassins. Saber Lily was pretty awful to start, but she's getting better as she levels up.
If you're in a position where you don't feel like you need any of them, just get whoever you like best. If you really wanna pick one gameplay-wise though, Elizabeth wouldn't be a bad call.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Eradicated the remaining Mash-havers and nothing-at-all sharers from my friendslist, got a handful of free slots for those who want a 70 Jeanne: 236,642,711
Fresh players of course welcome, as long as you've got something setup for support that isn't nothing or Mash. Will add people when I've gotten up in the morning.

e: Morn'. Nice to get a batch of 13 to help out, handful of slots left.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 10, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Bad Seafood posted:

I only spent money once, and it was when Proto Arthur was released. That means it took me 2 years to actually give up.

I didn't get him, so this game is not getting any goddamn money from me anymore.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

If you're in a position where you don't feel like you need any of them, just get whoever you like best. If you really wanna pick one gameplay-wise though, Elizabeth wouldn't be a bad call.

I was actually leaning towards her. For Lancers, I already have Cu Chu but I wouldn't mind having a second strong Lancer alongside him to help share the load. I don't think I need a 4* Rider with Medusa and Ushi already on my team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elizabeth has 4* stats but just keep in mind her NP is kinda wet noodle, her best assets are her attack buff and her defense debuff.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Endorph posted:

Elizabeth has 4* stats but just keep in mind her NP is kinda wet noodle, her best assets are her attack buff and her defense debuff.

She also gets a really good bond CE.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really want to max out Arash's Bond to get a cool nuke button.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

Freak Futanari posted:

She also gets a really good bond CE.

That all sounds like a pretty good deal. I can live with a weak NP for now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I swear this stupid game changes its drop rates after the morning, the last two days I don't think I've gotten a single gold monument after say 10 AM and some ten or so prior to that.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I see people who somehow got Gil to level 90 yet here I am unable to get a single walnut of ygdrassil to levelup Arash

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So how does one actually get gold statues, anyway.

Is it just 'fight servants, be lucky' or is there more to it than that?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Airspace posted:

So how does one actually get gold statues, anyway.

Is it just 'fight servants, be lucky' or is there more to it than that?

I think the drop is determined - or at least affected - by whether the enemy is bronze, silver or gold. So just fighting servants isn't enough, they have to be gold ones.

Based on the stats people have been collecting it seems like about 20% of the statue drops from the 30AP Duels will be gold, so on average you can expect to get one every three runs or so. Multiply that by three or four if you need a specific class.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Bholder posted:

I see people who somehow got Gil to level 90 yet here I am unable to get a single walnut of ygdrassil to levelup Arash

Interesting, didn't know you could farm hearts already.

Wings are rare as heck but doable. It's likely a combination of time, luck and money spent, tbh.

Some people go crazy when it comes to husbandos/waifus or "being the best/highest level in a game before others. Hell, just look at the amount of money spent when JAlter came out or in P&D when some limited edition gachas are up.... some people spend thousands in 2-3 days.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 10, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep. You'll always get at least something from the 30AP boss, but it feels like it's maybe...less than 20% that it's gold. I think the Gold/Silver servants you fight along the way can drop them too but it's far rarer because they're just as likely to not drop anything at all. I thought it was Golds-only at first but I definitely got a Gold Caster from a Cu Caster, a 3* silver.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I think the Gold/Silver servants you fight along the way can drop them too but it's far rarer because they're just as likely to not drop anything at all. I thought it was Golds-only at first but I definitely got a Gold Caster from a Cu Caster, a 3* silver.

Earlier servants can definitely drop them. I've had two monuments drop in one run, but obviously that's very rare. And yeah, I haven't been keeping track of who drops what so I can definitely believe that monuments can drop from both silver and gold enemies, probably at different rates.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Anyone know of a Free Quest or Interlude Quest that drops Caster Pieces? I'm 1 short of Waver's second ascension. Couldn't quite finish in time before the rollover for the new dailies.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Trihugger posted:

Anyone know of a Free Quest or Interlude Quest that drops Caster Pieces? I'm 1 short of Waver's second ascension. Couldn't quite finish in time before the rollover for the new dailies.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESPZza5wuy4BY-SXIZJUQPIiVuAi4dcdOpvNgv3II2k/htmlview?sle=true

Orleans - Orleans apparently, no idea at the rates though (they will likely be horrific)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The only two Servants in the game right now who don't take extra damage from Enuma Elish are Mozart and Romulus.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You have been visited by the Lancer of Ill-Fortune.

Rank E Luck and severed arms will come to you unless you post "REJOICE" in this thread.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 10, 2017

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Someone translated Jeanne Alter's new Interlude on Reddit and it starts with Cu gambling all his money away against Billy the Kid. Even when the story has nothing to do with him, the E rank luck rears its head.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lancers in general seem to have horrible luck if Fate/Zero's Lancer is anything to go by.

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Eradicated the remaining Mash-havers and nothing-at-all sharers from my friendslist, got 19 free slots for those who want a 70 Jeanne: 236,642,711
Fresh players of course welcome, as long as you've got something setup for support that isn't nothing or Mash. Will add people when I've gotten up in the morning.

Added, I'm slowly working on grinding up my units. IGN is Matt.

Edit: Also I just pulled an Eric Bloodaxe out of the FP Gatcha - I'm guessing he's useless since I have Herc?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Eric's NP is AOE so he can take on mobs, but if you have Kiyohime, Darius, or Lancelot, he's kind of useless, BUT after rechecking his skills, he has some useful ones, mainly Battle Continuation and a HP increase/debuff remover for his third skill. He might be an interesting Berserker to utilize in early game? (I'll try him out on my JP account since he's fully ascended).

Keep him anyways, for the sweet interlude quartz

Compendium fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 10, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Lancers in general seem to have horrible luck if Fate/Zero's Lancer is anything to go by.

Nah, it's mainly only those two due to their legends. There are two other Lancers in FGO that have E-Rank Luck, but all the rest have higher than that - even the other Irish legends in the class have higher luck than that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fionn might as well have E-Rank luck due to how lovely he is in the actual game

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How can I check who the character is that I am sharing to friends? I got several friends when I started playing when I had Tamocat as my leader and then it sharply dropped. I got Herecles yesterday and he is all leveled up and have had no friend requests. Is everyone just whaling out and looking for 5 star whale friends or maybe I am not actually sharing my leader?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
You don't share your leader, go into the formation setup menu, and click on support setup, the first one which is you free slot is who others see by default.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Support setup should really have been a forced tutorial considering how few people actually know it exists.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I mean, they kind of expect people to have eyes and explore the menus at the very least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eric's actually really good against the exp hands.

Basically, all the units in the game have a hidden secondary triangle of man/heaven/earth/star/beast, and units are slightly weak to certain attributes based on their own.

Eric's Man, and all the Exp Hands are Heaven, so he's 10% more effective against them and takes 10% less damage from them. This secondary triangle usually doesn't matter at all since 10% isn't that much but when

1) He's piling it on top of his berserker bonuses
2) He's got an AOE Buster NP
3) You're killing hands over and over

He does great against them. I use him for EXP farming on my JP account along with Kiyohime, Waver, and Spartacus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fenris13 posted:

You don't share your leader, go into the formation setup menu, and click on support setup, the first one which is you free slot is who others see by default.
poo poo! So I have been sharing Mash - I thought she was free just because she was in the story, not because of the slot. So then I have to swap the party every time I stop playing to have someone in my party as the character I share with others? That is pretty drat clunky unless I am misunderstanding.

Edit: wait, I misunderstood. I did have Tamocat as my first support setup character. What is the purpose of all of the slots in that menu? If the first one is the one that is shared then what are all of the other class slots for?

rio fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 10, 2017