Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6CJaChQ7rQ

this is produced very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RatHat posted:

So way back before the Golden Age the slug count summons the Godhand while already an apostle. If he had sacrificed his daughter would he be a double apostle or what? Is that how some of the apostles in Griffith's army got so strong?

I think at that time the God Hand just offered to heal him, since Guts had reduced him to just a head.

Ganishka's Shiva form is what happens when you try to turn someone who is already an apostle into an apostle.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hello Berserk thread, watch Netflix Castlevania

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Mozguz Ate All The Dicks.

My prediction is that Endgame starts when Guts is facing Griffith and possibly the whole godhand and at some point griffith goes "are you really willing to destroy my fulfilled dream for your revenge?"
Guts answers he would see the whole world burn and suddenly An Idea Of Evil asks him would he really sacrifice the whole world for revenge. And boy howdy he would.
Callin' it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

And boy howdy he would.

I mean, if you discount over 15 years and hundreds of chapters worth of character development maybe

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chekov's Behelit.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ahahahaha lmao I've never been more sorely tempted and totally averse to watching something just for the possibility of seeing amazing scenes such as this

http://i.imgur.com/wIMNsZL.gifv

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The animes, movies, and other spin offs are all terrible. The manga is great

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The animes, movies, and other spin offs are all terrible. The manga is great
Counterpoint: Forces

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The 90's anime is good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

This is a fair excuse and likely somewhat correct, but have you read The Lost Children arc? Guts doesn't much give a poo poo about anyone whatsoever, uses people as bait multiple times, there are direct aggressive rapes in the plot, and Guts is all around destructive, both to himself and others. One developmental contrast is that the girl at the end parts friends.

I think Miura knew Exactly What He Was Going To Do even if some of his readers don't seem to understand after three hundred chapters. Surely it was refined and expanded as he went (durr wonder how writing works), but most of the themes are in Black Swordsman to warn you off.

Its both and Miura has talked all about it if you just go look. Several of the Berserk themes were established before Berserk even started, I forget the name but he did some shorter thing that was very similar. Then he started Berserk basically re-using those same concepts. But he was very much still making it up as he goes along, and many of the details of the greater plot weren't at all in place until those things show up in the story.

And saying "yeah that thing is weird but lets ignore it and cherry pick this one detail that does match the later tone" is really missing the point Phantom. He makes a good point that Guts' loving the apostle in the very beginning is not really in-character as we know Guts, and not something that'd probably happen later in the story. So its pretty clear Miura was changing things as he went. But yes, if you need it spelled out, the major themes were already in place. But that doesn't change at all what Genocyber's point was.

Rodyle posted:

Yeah the animation is pretty good and makes up for the new berserk CG being poo poo.

The only thing that's a real dick about Netflix Castlevania is the first season is only 4 episodes long :(

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 9, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sakurazuka posted:

The 90's anime is good

The ending (literally, the very end of the last episode) is some bullshit if you haven't read the manga.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The 90's anime is good

:yeah:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cavelcade posted:

The ending (literally, the very end of the last episode) is some bullshit if you haven't read the manga.

The eclipse end without context is some peak 'gainax end' and I really enjoy it for that reason. (obviously I know gainax didn't work on the berserk anime but that term got thrown around so much back then it stuck in my brain)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Homeless Friend posted:

ahahahaha lmao I've never been more sorely tempted and totally averse to watching something just for the possibility of seeing amazing scenes such as this

http://i.imgur.com/wIMNsZL.gifv

beavis and butt-head do anime

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bisse posted:

Counterpoint: Forces

Actually, the entire soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ak_jATqoRc

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

TBH the one thing in this thread I've never seen people argue about that the old Anime had a great soundtrack.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DamnGlitch posted:

The eclipse end without context is some peak 'gainax end' and I really enjoy it for that reason. (obviously I know gainax didn't work on the berserk anime but that term got thrown around so much back then it stuck in my brain)

It's pretty appropriate, the Berserk TV ending is more of a "Gainax ending" in the colloquial sense than most (maybe even all?) of the actual Gainax shows that get accused of having them. :v:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's pretty appropriate, the Berserk TV ending is more of a "Gainax ending" in the colloquial sense than most (maybe even all?) of the actual Gainax shows that get accused of having them. :v:

Fits the tone better in the way people use the term certainly. Most are 'left turns' rather than just big 'gently caress you's.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 10, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yep its all good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZa0Yh6e7dw I absolutely love how dream-like this song is.

poo poo even this track from the new series is good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mfs6GPecYM this song is just plain badass.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rodyle posted:

I did, I didn't like it much. I didn't like like how heavy handed they were with the religious stuff while also saying absolutely nothing of value. Plus turning dracula from fun evil villain who just loves being evil to a sad man who's sad is kind of a bummer.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I did, I didn't like it much. I didn't like like how heavy handed they were with the religious stuff while also saying absolutely nothing of value. Plus turning dracula from fun evil villain who just loves being evil to a sad man who's sad is kind of a bummer.

That stuff's straight from the games. Early as symphony, at least.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

episode 2 of castlevania sucks but everything else is good

the big problem is no grant danasty. the team of warrior monk with consecrated whip, vampire swordsmaster, and high level magician NEEDS a fourth party member who uses a knife to stab things

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Watching Castlevania, nearing the end of ep2.

Show seems fine, and the spectacle of gore reminds me of Berserk just a bit. Though considering it's only 4 eps long, until the next batch of episodes anyway, it's not very clear where the season is even aiming to go since half of the length was just spent on establishing the universe (episode wrapped up right before I clicked submit).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Andrigaar posted:

Watching Castlevania, nearing the end of ep2.

Show seems fine, and the spectacle of gore reminds me of Berserk just a bit. Though considering it's only 4 eps long, until the next batch of episodes anyway, it's not very clear where the season is even aiming to go since half of the length was just spent on establishing the universe (episode wrapped up right before I clicked submit).

It has a direaction. The direction is getting the adventuring party together.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Darth Walrus posted:

It has a direaction. The direction is getting the adventuring party together.

That spoiler text makes sense with the character introduction I just watched.

Anyway, this all reminds me that I've never finished CV2 or 3. Never liked former, and the latter is absurdly difficult.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep its all good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZa0Yh6e7dw I absolutely love how dream-like this song is.

I love how this is one of the last things you'd expect to be the theme of the titular Berserker, but it sells his character super hard.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Last Celebration posted:

I love how this is one of the last things you'd expect to be the theme of the titular Berserker, but it sells his character super hard.

It's up there as my favourite character themes.

On the topic of songs you wouldn't expect to be associated with Guts.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

brought a tear to my eye for some reason, what a beautiful song

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Judeau is full of poo poo, he's clearly the best at knife throwing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
How is it that the Dreamcast game looks better than the 3d graphics they are using now?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
:effort:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

How is it that the Dreamcast game looks better than the 3d graphics they are using now?

theres some serious fuckin budget fuckery going on. someone is assigning like 90% of the budget to some group of people's salary. this is possibly a yakuza operation. I am convinced of this. there is crime going on. berserk 2017 is a yakuza crime fraud money laundering operation

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834

tl;dr

they hadn't decided what they wanted the show to look like when they made the first trailer, they had about 4 months to animate everything once they had decided.

this is originally from before berserk 2017 aired too

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
What modern animation studio could do a good job with Berserk? Like Berserk in the Kyo-Ani style, for example.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

What modern animation studio could do a good job with Berserk? Like Berserk in the Kyo-Ani style, for example.

Gainax? Or Trigger.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834

tl;dr

they hadn't decided what they wanted the show to look like when they made the first trailer, they had about 4 months to animate everything once they had decided.

So basically it's all Itagaki's fault for wasting half a year.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

tl;dr

Jesus christ what a mess.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Berserk had a large staff, but with so many of them working from outside the studio, they needed to develop custom tools that would allow unity between the different rigging software used inside and outside GEMBA. This task mainly fell to the show's overworked technical director, Keita Mizuhashi. The staff joked that it was his job to handle the “demonic parts” of the production, which meant developing new custom tools, creating assets, and even managing the compositing process.

So, it's basically like I've been saying, money isn't the issue, it's production and planning. A huge staff, even contract animators, means tons of money to pay all these people, and 3D animation means not everybody is an animator, there are people like Keita here who are supposed to go in and work on the software so they could make unique effects work, or to import animation and models made in Unity into Blender or whatever software they're using.

"Managing the compositing process" reads to me like he couldn't figure out how to properly import a specific model into a scene, probably cause the contract animator saved the animation in a weird, non-native file format, so he used after effects to superimpose the model overtop of the mostly completed scene, RESULTING IN:

If anything, from reading this article, it sounds like Berserk might have had a larger than typical anime budget, due to additional staff like the technical director which most anime wouldn't need, and for paying contractors, who probably are used to 2D animation per frame paychecks and thus had to create new contracts for 3D animation, and lets face it, with how lovely a deal they get for 2D animated contracts it's no wonder they'd charge more for 3D animation, regardless of experience level.

God I wish I could read japanese, there's probably more articles about the poo poo show that is this anime's production that I would love to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Money is almost never the issue, pretty much every anime series has around a similar budget, it's what you do with it that counts.