Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, playing wehraboo bingo is just as easy in this game as it is in WoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
In one of my first games after coming back, a guy called Rommel[somenumbers] raged at me after sailing straight into my torpedoes. Never change, wehraboos. Actually please change, like right now.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I have been trying to get the 10 point Captain from this weeks operation, but every game is just full of either tier 5s looking for a carry, idiots who think operations are just easy mode or the type of player who cannot breath and walk at the same time.

I'm kind of frustrated.

Also, today's special is the Błyskawica, 4800 doubloons for £7 if you go for the cheapest option. It' still a good saving if you go for the £15 option too but only if you need the flags and poo poo.

That is if you have a Błyska obviously but if you don't you are a bad.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Burt posted:

Operations

I'm a complete idiot as you know but at least I have tier 6s and I'll be on this afternoon.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Burt posted:

I have been trying to get the 10 point Captain from this weeks operation, but every game is just full of either tier 5s looking for a carry, idiots who think operations are just easy mode or the type of player who cannot breath and walk at the same time.

I'm kind of frustrated.

Also, today's special is the Błyskawica, 4800 doubloons for £7 if you go for the cheapest option. It' still a good saving if you go for the £15 option too but only if you need the flags and poo poo.

If you are around this afternoon I'll be trying the Operation as well. Had two tries on Friday and both times our team let the enemies into the base.

I'll pass on the Blys, cba trying to level up a captain solely for it. The Scharnhorst is what I'm really after now.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Insert name here posted:

It's too bad we probably won't be able to take our own DDs into this; the initial leak said it was for T4 to T6 DDs which would have been hilarious because C-hull Farragut would breeze through this given how those planes were falling to DDs with like 7 whole AA DPS (boosted to a stellar 11 DPS with Def AA).

Tier 4-6 French and British DDs, isn't it? That would mean the Gallant could do it - which is no surprise at all.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Burt posted:

I'm kind of frustrated.

Not as good a deal as Saipan or Belfast if you're after doublons

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Burt posted:

I'm kind of frustrated.

wdarkk and I tried the operation a few times and for this one, the pubbies are even more unbelievably bad due to the fairly high skill ceiling and coordination needed for this one.

We had one Fuso pubbie stay with the repair ships and snipe the entire time. When we called him out he said "whatever, you are going to die and then watch me get at least 3 kills!"

We fail all the secondaries without the team even trying to fulfill and we finish the op with 14 kills between us.... Fuso pubbie had 0 :mad:

If you're getting on and grab just one other goon, it's not going to be enough - you'll ideally want at least 4 or 5 from Discord, with one person going CV to cover that angle.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pacra posted:

We had one Fuso pubbie stay with the repair ships and snipe the entire time. When we called him out he said "whatever, you are going to die and then watch me get at least 3 kills!"

Apparently this is very common; I had a New York do it, and the next attempt a division complained about a Kongo doing it to them on their previous attempt.

Also, when we got the friendly Lexington to spawn in that second try, a Hipper and a Mogami spawned almost right next to it, and it died before we could kill even one of the cruisers, so I don't know what the gently caress we were supposed to do.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Technically for a significant portion of the battle the repair ships were further forward than him.

Also he was mad that we weren't with him back there.

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently this is very common; I had a New York do it, and the next attempt a division complained about a Kongo doing it to them on their previous attempt.

Also, when we got the friendly Lexington to spawn in that second try, a Hipper and a Mogami spawned almost right next to it, and it died before we could kill even one of the cruisers, so I don't know what the gently caress we were supposed to do.

You need a DD in position ahead of time to drop a smoke screen, then a BB and/or CV to delete at least one of them immediately.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The base defense mission is just silly with the spawns and secondary objectives. You need people covering every entrance who can nail DD's, and then you need a good carrier that can quickly drop the enemy carrier when it first appears, and then spot DDs. At the same time, you need to be able to quickly get to one of the 2 spawns for the friendly carrier and give them cover. If the CV spawns in the north, it has island cover for long enough to get some speed going, but south spawn is pretty much right next to each other.

What sucks most is that you absolutely can't have anyone die early on, and the repair ships are worthless. Once lost 2 players to the second wave of ships since people apparently forget that Kumas and Tenryu's carry torpedos.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Wonder if ranked is any better on the weekend. Let's just drop into a game and

:shepface:

ah, to respond to your post a few days ago

It was me who herded that farragut around the map in that one match lmao

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ahhh weekend teams

I had two hero DDs on my team that dropped exceptionally clutch smokes for me, but it just wasn't enough to carry when pubbie after pubbie wanders in to loving A to die alone one at a time.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Ranked this season really seems to come down to whether or not your DDs are going to play as part of the team, or whether they are playing selfishly. Specifically, if your DDs aren't spotting while remaining unspotted themselves, you're likely on track to lose.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
If you're a DD you've got to gauge how good your team is, then use it as a metric for how selfishly you should play. The middle brackets are full of BBs that do the absolute dumbest poo poo and you cannot depend on them to do a drat thing, so sometimes you have to try and carry on pure damage and it will drive you insane.

I wish I had an Anshan.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Won like, 16 of 20 games in my Bayern to make it to rank 8, but it feels like I'm hitting a wall of bad DD play. I've got a shinome but i sorta hate it, I wonder if a gaede might be the way to go moving forward.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

marxismftw posted:

Won like, 16 of 20 games in my Bayern to make it to rank 8, but it feels like I'm hitting a wall of bad DD play. I've got a shinome but i sorta hate it, I wonder if a gaede might be the way to go moving forward.

playing a DD effectively this season isn't really all that fun, since it revolves around things you don't get xp for. your damage is going to suck unless you're a long range (8km+) torp-haver, and you're most effective when you're outside of smoke making sure the other team is spotted so your team can murder them

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I got two compliments in a game today from the opposite team.

I was the only one to go East on Two Brothers in my Akisuki, whilst 10 of the enemy team came that way. Apparently staying stealthed and spamming torps or smoked and pew pewing was enough to get them all sailing defensively and not pushing/

The enemy Sharnhorst who killed me in the end complimented me in game but I got the very distinct impression he was not a happy bunny with his team mates!!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

pokchu posted:

playing a DD effectively this season isn't really all that fun, since it revolves around things you don't get xp for. your damage is going to suck unless you're a long range (8km+) torp-haver, and you're most effective when you're outside of smoke making sure the other team is spotted so your team can murder them

This. Playing the Anshan is kind of soul crushing because doing the right/good things to help your team win mean you get gently caress all in XP (spotting other DDs and smoking up your team) and rely on idiot pubbies to both be in the position to left click boats and to also left click boats. Last season playing a DD was pretty sweet because while you smoked your team up some the spotting ranges on DDs were lower so you could had a lot more wiggle room to make some good plays. Also 38% WR today in ranked :suicide:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

The base defense mission is just silly with the spawns and secondary objectives. You need people covering every entrance who can nail DD's, and then you need a good carrier that can quickly drop the enemy carrier when it first appears, and then spot DDs. At the same time, you need to be able to quickly get to one of the 2 spawns for the friendly carrier and give them cover. If the CV spawns in the north, it has island cover for long enough to get some speed going, but south spawn is pretty much right next to each other.

What sucks most is that you absolutely can't have anyone die early on, and the repair ships are worthless. Once lost 2 players to the second wave of ships since people apparently forget that Kumas and Tenryu's carry torpedos.

so basically what we have learned is unless you have a full premade group for this one, dont bother : [

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Most of the good DD plays involve playing somewhat passively ( scouting, stealth torping ), or getting in there and carving people up. Either way you're hosed if you're on a team full of premium battleships that suck and were obviously bought to play ranked with.

So many lovely BBs missing 75% of their salvos, sitting dead still, occasionally reversing, not shooting the low HP targets. Soul crushing.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

rex rabidorum vires posted:

This. Playing the Anshan is kind of soul crushing because doing the right/good things to help your team win mean you get gently caress all in XP (spotting other DDs and smoking up your team) and rely on idiot pubbies to both be in the position to left click boats and to also left click boats. Last season playing a DD was pretty sweet because while you smoked your team up some the spotting ranges on DDs were lower so you could had a lot more wiggle room to make some good plays. Also 38% WR today in ranked :suicide:

That and this is the first season with the removal of Stealth firing, although I can't remember how much stealth firing you could really do at T6 anyway.

Last season I played exclusively the Blysk, smoking up my team, then bugging out beyond 9.6km and setting stealth fires between that and 14.4km out. That style is just dead now, especially with every BB launching 8-12 rounds at you guaranteed to do 1000 damage each, at minimum.

I know its a dead horse that's never coming back, but the removal of stealth firing really tilted things towards BBs too much imo

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

All DD players should be murdered in their sleep.

In my Der Grosse at around 90% health heading towards an Edinburgh. Edinburgh not very good fires one sides torps and turns to fire his other side at near point blank. I'm going to easily avoid the second, might get hit by one when from my other side comes 2 full salvo of friendly torpedoes. Of course none of them would have even come close to hitting the loving Edinburgh. So not only did my own teammate hit me with all his torpedoes they werent even fired properly in the first loving place. He was in a Shimakaze, I can only imagine he spent the whole time grinding by mashing his face against the keyboard.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 10, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I hit a Fletcher with 2 torps from my Fletcher and he survived. Torp damage is 19033. Fletcher health with B hull and SE is 20250. That is some neat math there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

All DD players should be murdered in their sleep.

In my Der Grosse at around 90% health heading towards an Edinburgh. Edinburgh not very good fires one sides torps and turns to fire his other side at near point blank. I'm going to easily avoid the second, might get hit by one when from my other side comes 2 full salvo of friendly torpedoes. Of course none of them would have even come close to hitting the loving Edinburgh. So not only did my own teammate hit me with all his torpedoes they werent even fired properly in the first loving place. He was in a Shimakaze, I can only imagine he spent the whole time grinding by mashing his face against the keyboard.

Jesus.

CitizenKain posted:

I hit a Fletcher with 2 torps from my Fletcher and he survived. Torp damage is 19033. Fletcher health with B hull and SE is 20250. That is some neat math there.

Damage saturation is a cruel mistress.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I was excited when I got my first tier 5 ship. Now I don't think I want to play anymore. The difference between a T5 ship and the t7's you keep getting grouped with is HUGE. They really need to look at the matchmaking at that level of play.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I was excited when I got my first tier 5 ship. Now I don't think I want to play anymore. The difference between a T5 ship and the t7's you keep getting grouped with is HUGE. They really need to look at the matchmaking at that level of play.

Really wish I could suggest scenarios here BUUUUUUUUT.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I made a thing because I am still annoyed.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Farking Bastage posted:

They need to fix matchmaking in general, trying to grind a couple of lines in t7 and was bottom tier every match last night. And when I switched to t8, bottom tier every match as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've achieved a sense of zen about the Pensacola. It's made of tinfoil and in some games you're doomed regardless because a BB decides to take 80% of your health from clear across the map, but the guns are very nice if you can live long enough to use them.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Im still trying to grind my way past the Kirov. I think I will just use free XP. It is too lovely to play. another cruiser sent 4 volleys at me. Three of them citadeled.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Farking Bastage posted:

Im still trying to grind my way past the Kirov. I think I will just use free XP. It is too lovely to play. another cruiser sent 4 volleys at me. Three of them citadeled.

Play some co-op games casually without premium consumables, I'd say. You won't lose money, and it takes longer but it's not going to kill your WTR or anything.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

:tif:

Still managed to kill the Bayern and kneecap the New Mexico.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Farking Bastage posted:

It took me awhile to figure out the Kirov, which seemed to be flitting around behind most everyone else and mostly raining fires from afar or railgunning with AP. It's one of the ships I have a <50% win rate in, though. Getting detonated in back to back games in that battleship-sized cruiser didn't help matters. You can't turn worth poo poo, but you're fairly quick and the guns are pretty nice.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Farking Bastage posted:

Tier 5s can still be mean even to a tier 7, the problem is that it takes higher level play. For those just getting to five it can be pretty rough, but if you can learn to succeed at tier 5, it'll help your game play in the long run.

I still play my Texas, Furutaka, and Marblehead/Murmansk.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

And yet your team probably managed to lose. :v:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

HSF ships up for sale on EU.

The most expensive gold package throws in a 12 point captain, but £88 for a Kagero seems very steep, even if you get a lot of extras.

Gold Graf Spee is less than half the price but only a 10 point skipper.

Deal of the day is the Duca, for £15

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Damnit, you got me excited. I wanted to buy the Duca, but they're not selling it at ALL in NA.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
You're really not missing much except some cool stripes. Ships is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

CitizenKain posted:

Torp damage against friendlies is halved.