Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Justin_Brett posted:

Well now I think I'm stuck. I got the Dreamer in the City of Tears, and the one in Deepnest, but the third one is in an area adjacent to Greenpath and Deepnest that I can't find my way into.

I think it might be time, time to finally explore the Fog Canyon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Well now I think I'm stuck. I got the Dreamer in the City of Tears, and the one in Deepnest, but the third one is in an area adjacent to Greenpath and Deepnest that I can't find my way into.

You are probably missing a movement skill. You need one of two that you probably don't have. Both are located in areas below you and to the east.

Choice one: Investigate the water ways with the super dash

Choice two: go to kingdom's edge with the double jump to get a certain item after you fight a familiar friend that lets you open up a special door in Ancient Basin

Either one of those will let you get to the final dreamer.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Some folks found a new hidden room, maybe added with a recent patch?

VITRUVIAN GRUB, from near Collector's place.

Also, I found a (new to me) scene when I killed Herrah last, and even waited until after beating Hornet and getting the King's brand. When I came out of Herrah's dream, Hornet was waiting there to talk to me and tell me some stuff about her mom...

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 9, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ambivalent posted:

That may be a map.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Discendo Vox posted:

That may be a map.

Huh, maybe you have a point there. The "jar" symbol seems to be in about the right place for the collector.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've got a feeling there's more to the grubs that we don't know about yet.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I found a bug in Hollow Knight.... pun absolutely intended.
For some reason HK does not like the xbox controller on Steam Link. I tried playing it and as soon as the main menu comes up, the controller doesn't work any more. (Wireless Xbox 360 controller, dongle plugged into steam link). I then tried Everspace and it works fine. Anybody else who has this problem or is willing to try it?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Hopper posted:

I found a bug in Hollow Knight.... pun absolutely intended.
For some reason HK does not like the xbox controller on Steam Link. I tried playing it and as soon as the main menu comes up, the controller doesn't work any more. (Wireless Xbox 360 controller, dongle plugged into steam link). I then tried Everspace and it works fine. Anybody else who has this problem or is willing to try it?

Have you left a bug report at their website? My invisible final boss bug got cleared up in the next update after I reported it. I was pretty blown away at how quickly they responded to a bug I'd never heard anybody else have.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 9, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
do we know when this comes out on console?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Knorth posted:

I think it might be time, time to finally explore the Fog Canyon

Am I supposed to be able to get further in there yet? Haven't found anything to clear that smoke blockade.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Am I supposed to be able to get further in there yet? Haven't found anything to clear that smoke blockade.

I think you want to go up and around it. The thing you're referring to is optional.

Edit: I'm silly. You want to go from either fungal wastes, or the crossroads

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I still have no clue, sorry.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

How are folks finding the controls in this game? I find with a 360 controller using the analog stick for movement, I can't be as precise with up/downswings while moving as I'd like. Forget the d-pad on that, too.

I could just be a really bad baby gamer, admittedly.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Justin_Brett posted:

I still have no clue, sorry.

Did you find Leg Eater? There's an entrance across from him, near the beginning of the Fungal Wastes.

EDIT: Actually, do you have Isma's Tear? You may need to explore the sewers a bit more.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 9, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

re: the controls, I've been doing speed running and there's guys who consistently do almost frame perfect stuff like:

Which, admittedly, I've only managed to do once in repeated tries. So take that as what you will

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

brain dammej posted:

How are folks finding the controls in this game? I find with a 360 controller using the analog stick for movement, I can't be as precise with up/downswings while moving as I'd like. Forget the d-pad on that, too.

I keep meaning to set up my PS4 controller with my pc for this game actually, I have exactly the same problem with the 360s crappy dpad/sticks. I like the controls, it took me quite a while to get to the point of having muscle-memory to actually be good at combat (I was bumbling around dying all the time up till like Hornet, and didn't really play with confidence till beating Soul Master) but I think that's not a bad thing in a game, first action game to make me feel like that since Souls games honestly. Or maybe I'm just lovely at action platformers idk.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
one of my biggest gripes with this game is how fast you tend to slide down as soon as you hit the wall. its annoying trying to get precise jumps and being forced to charge into spikes because you didn't jump up instantly

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

dancingbears posted:

Did you find Leg Eater? There's an entrance across from him, near the beginning of the Fungal Wastes.

I know that path, but how do you get past the block in the way?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

seems like a bad game for analog sticks

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Justin_Brett posted:

I know that path, but how do you get past the block in the way?

Yeah, you need Isma's Tear. It sounds like you've already visited the sewers, but have you gone to the crystal mines? wait no you said you killed Lucien, he needs double jump. Yeah, go explore the sewers some more.

EDIT: Or if you can visit Kingdom's Edge (you need the Tram Pass from Deepnest or to sneak in through a fake wall in the derelict stag station below King's Station) and use the double jump to go fight Hornet and continue on to get the upgrade that lets you through those black barriers. Thinking about it, Isma's Tear is technically optional but nice to have.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 9, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I wish they'd fix stuck XBone controller inputs bug.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lets hang out posted:

seems like a bad game for analog sticks

Use the D-pad like a sane person.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

dancingbears posted:

Yeah, you need Isma's Tear. It sounds like you've already visited the sewers, but have you gone to the crystal mines? wait no you said you killed Lucien, he needs double jump. Yeah, go explore the sewers some more.

EDIT: Or if you can visit Kingdom's Edge (you need the Tram Pass from Deepnest or to sneak in through a fake wall in the derelict stag station below King's Station) and use the double jump to go fight Hornet and continue on to get the upgrade that lets you through those black barriers. Thinking about it, Isma's Tear is technically optional but nice to have.

Found it. That's kind of a dumb spot for a really important item, to me.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I used a PS4 controller. D-pad worked perfectly, except for parts where I needed to pogo while moving right or left, in which case the analog worked fine.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Eh I think they are fine. The hardest challenges in the game aren't trivialized by the nail upgrades (Radiance and Trial of the Fool) and there are even more difficult encounters incoming in a new patch. If you really want to ramp up the difficulty, I think it would be better to ask them to create a new difficulty setting for it.

As it is, if you want more difficulty just don't get the nail upgrades. The thing about the nail being as it is, it's a lever for people who aren't struggling with certain parts of the game a better chance at making it through it since it's pretty much one of the few upgrades that doesn't depend on you playing better to get the most out of it. A lot of people in this thread have talked about finally being able to kill a new boss after many failed attempts before their last nail upgrade.

I think it's safe to say, if you have been speedrunning this game most of the encounters are going to be pretty trivial to you when you do a 100% run. They are going to add harder fights so you'll get your fill soon enough.

Thing is, I don't mean to make the game harder. If they were to implement the change I mentioned, I would fully expect some bosses to have their HP lowered so as to not get too hard. It just feels slightly silly to me that the difference nail upgrades make is so huge. Reasonable people can disagree on this of course.

And, just to clarify, I haven't been actually "speedrunning" in the legitimate sense of the word :v:. I was just going for the achievements they chose to name "speedruns". My times are about 4 to 5 times as long as the world records.

brain dammej posted:

I'm on keyboard and the game controls extremely well. There are arguable "improvements" that one might imagine (like the fact that getting hit means your inputs don't register while the game is frozen) but I actually like the extra challenge that imposes. Your character is meant to be disoriented and *should* need a moment to be able to be readjust after getting hurt.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

brain dammej posted:

Just checking, you have Vsync off right?

I used a DS4 controller with analog and never had problem with controls, they felt very good and responsive, and got most everywhere no problem.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Xaris posted:

Just checking, you have Vsync off right?

I used a DS4 controller with analog and never had problem with controls, they felt very good and responsive, and got most everywhere no problem.

I have vsync on, at 144fps (G-sync, if that matters...). Does it actually affect things at that framerate?

To clarify, my problems are mainly around a slight lack of accuracy. When I think i should downswing, I instead slash in front of me, while when I want to hit in front of me, sometimes I up/downswing. This usually happens when I need to rapidly change from looking left to right or vice-versa.

I've beaten the game 100% on the true ending, so I can grasp the mechanics pretty well. I'm just trying to get better at the game is all. Want to know if the answer is 'git gud' or 'stop using analog you idiot' or some other option.

EDIT: Also, SGDQ had a neat run of Hollow Knight that I don't think was posted here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156491630?t=9h06m04s
(I'd link the youtube upload to avoid twitch chat idiocy, but the audio is v. bad on it)

brain dammej fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 9, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

brain dammej posted:

I have vsync on, at 144fps (G-sync, if that matters...). Does it actually affect things at that framerate?

To clarify, my problems are mainly around a slight lack of accuracy. When I think i should downswing, I instead slash in front of me, while when I want to hit in front of me, sometimes I up/downswing. This usually happens when I need to rapidly change from looking left to right or vice-versa.

I've beaten the game 100% on the true ending, so I can grasp the mechanics pretty well. I'm just trying to get better at the game is all. Want to know if the answer is 'git gud' or 'stop using analog you idiot' or some other option.

EDIT: Also, SGDQ had a neat run of Hollow Knight that I don't think was posted here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/156491630?t=9h06m04s
(I'd link the youtube upload to avoid twitch chat idiocy, but the audio is v. bad on it)

It feels like what you're describing (specifically how it happens primarily when you need to change to an opposite direction) would indeed likely be fixed by switching away from analog. When I switch from left to right I depress the left key and press the right key with an entirely different digit. Whereas you move your thumb in a complex-ish pattern to try to move the stick in a straight line through the dead-zone, with nothing to guide your thumb other than muscle memory. Regardless of other strengths, this is undoubtedly a point where sticks will be weaker.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

analog stick works great for me, using DS4

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
Last I checked, the 360 D-pad sucks, so I've been using the analog stick without any real problem.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Thanks for the input, bros.

I'll try to get good some more, and if that fails, I'll try a controller that has a worthwhile d-pad. :thumbsup:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ambivalent posted:

Also, I found a (new to me) scene when I killed Herrah last, and even waited until after beating Hornet and getting the King's brand. When I came out of Herrah's dream, Hornet was waiting there to talk to me and tell me some stuff about her mom...

Has anyone tried transforming in front of these?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

RatHat posted:

Use the D-pad like a sane person.

poo poo I have a steam controller so no dpad possible. Only one place I had trouble with the analog stick but no real issue for me control wise.

Beat the game tonight with the 2nd ending. I fought the end boss again to get to the secret end boss but I had no real desire to keep fighting boss #1 before attempting the secret one every time, so I watched it on YouTube.

Good game, I probably haven't played a metrovania since order of ecclesia years ago. Ecclesia is a special case but compared to the other castlevanias I feel like HK is so open ended it's real easy to miss stuff, and the backtracking got to be a bit much with the lack of good/more fast travel options.

I'd like to see a better map system and more fast travel options in a sequel, and maybe even a casual mode, because I lack the patience of my youth. Overall though it was fun and I'm glad I picked it up.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone tried transforming in front of these?

What is transforming? If you mean focusing, then I have, yes.

In other news, I got my last achievement, Happy Couple, along with...

100% completion, Steel Soul mode, just over 11 hours. :toot: I also went back and found all the White Palace secret rooms and checked on some stuff I'd sorta glanced over during my first 100% on regular.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Form of unn plus grub charm

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Form of unn plus grub charm

Yeah I love all the hidden charm interactions. I like the snail transformation too when you combine unn + baldur shell. Add spores for some cute little mushrooms and you are all set.

I really like Fury of the Fallen + Grubfather too. But im too much of a coward to run around with one health for the red lasers. It's still really cool though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ooh i unlocked a bestiary, neato!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

ooh i unlocked a bestiary, neato!

Oh you sweet summer child... Such wonders await you :allears:.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If you skip the fight with mr. skippable from the early game, is it possible to get to the secret area in the room without beating him?

Ambivalent posted:

What is transforming? If you mean focusing, then I have, yes.
I was thinking there was a Shape of Unn+ grub transformation, but there isn't. It may be worth trying some other things, though, such as the grub abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Discendo Vox posted:

If you skip the fight with mr. skippable from the early game, is it possible to get to the secret area in the room without beating him?

I was thinking there was a Shape of Unn+ grub transformation, but there isn't. It may be worth trying some other things, though, such as the grub abilities.

It should be, but I'm guessing the thing that should be there won't be there.