Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't want to play Starcraft or some poo poo on my TV. I just want to be able to do point n'click based poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mind the walrus posted:

This was the impression I got. I always see footage of people with ballin' weapons and the skill to fight cooler monsters, while I'm stuck grinding on skeletons and my coolest weapon is a scimitar. I'm sure variety gets there eventually but like hell I have the time for it.

Also just got my Steam controller based on this thread and the cheap price point. Let's see how it does.

So the reason it gets good is not because the equipment gets better, it's because that's how long it takes to actually get good at the game, and the fun of the game is overcoming impossibly difficult odds and genuinely worrying (won't be hyperbolic and say terrifying) game mechanics (you never really know if it's just about to Dick you over massively and waste all the time you've put in).

So there just comes a point where all of a sudden you feel like an incredible badass, because you can beat all the bastards who've been drubbing you so far, and you KNOW that if you started again from scratch, you could just as easily beat them, without the new armor / weapons, because you've gotten more skillful.

And then you actively look forward to the next mega-bastard, exploring becomes exciting instead of crushingly depressing, because you know you can probably overcome it, but it's still exciting because you don't know just how high the next bar they're gonna make you clear will be. The character doesn't level up, you do, and that feels really rewarding. But, is also kinda super lame. I entirely understand people hating it, it's definitely not for everyone.

Edit:

Darkoni posted:

Hot take on Souls games: "Get Good" is actually the best advice anyone can give you.

Yeah, basically this. "Git Gud" is like the dark souls motto, but it's not the sentiment you normally get for games of like "you suck". It's more like a reminder that there isn't any secret 'trick' or 'gimmick' that you're missing.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 10, 2017

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

the mario brothers probably smell like poo poo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

carp supreme posted:

the mario brothers probably smell like poo poo.

this probably isn't an unpopular opinion so much as it is something no one would ever think about. in fact if you got more people to think about video game smells, I bet they would agree with you

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What does Kirby smell like?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Viva Miriya posted:

dragon age 2 was a good game

Viva Miriya posted:

so was bioshock infinite and mass effect 3

I'm going to have to violently disagree.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
dayz is the best online gaming experience you can have

you just need a lot of friends and nothing but time on your hands

and endless patience for bugs

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Left 4 Dead 2 is one of the top 3 best FPS games of the last decade. If the multiplayer could be balanced a bit more, it'd be number 1.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

artificial bubblegum flavor

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Left 4 Dead 2 is one of the top 3 best FPS games of the last decade. If the multiplayer could be balanced a bit more, it'd be number 1.

those games ruled

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Not enough games these days are about overcoming bad guys through the power of friendship

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Steam Discovery Queue is a game in which you try to figure out which 12 tags you can exclude to make the loving thing give you suggestions you give a poo poo about

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I actually like the Steam Controller. I can see that coming up with workable configs is going to be a bitch but when it's working it's working well. Now I can play point and click much better on the couch. For some reason half of my 2D games are showing massive slowdown, which is pissing me off more than anything with the controller.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

signalnoise posted:

The Steam Discovery Queue is a game in which you try to figure out which 12 tags you can exclude to make the loving thing give you suggestions you give a poo poo about

I really hate indie, early access games

Bonus points if they're "horror", survival, or feel the need to add "female protagonist" as a selling point

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Orkin Mang posted:

those games ruled

Clowns on the coaster

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

murder

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Stealth games suck and the couple of years where every game had to have a stealth section were awful.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
30 fps is literally unplayable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I really hate indie, early access games

Bonus points if they're "horror", survival, or feel the need to add "female protagonist" as a selling point
Early Access has made me so wary of anything that claims to be Metroidvania. They always always forget to make the engine something fun to play in.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I think anyone excusing Witcher 3's poo poo combat system with "but the story!" secretly knows the game sucks and is trying to justify wasting their money.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you not liking W3 is a personal problem and not one you can ever rationally put on anyone else.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

basic hitler posted:

you not liking W3 is a personal problem and not one you can ever rationally put on anyone else.
you might be missing the point of the thread

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Not enough games these days are about overcoming bad guys through the power of friendship

After Undertale perfected it, everyone else just gave up.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Zorodius posted:

30 fps is literally unplayable.

Fps don't matter

EDIT: doesn't matter??

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Early Access has made me so wary of anything that claims to be Metroidvania. They always always forget to make the engine something fun to play in.

This but with rpg's

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

DARPA posted:

I think anyone excusing Witcher 3's poo poo combat system with "but the story!" secretly knows the game sucks and is trying to justify wasting their money.
What're people's issues with the combat? I've been playing it for the last week or so and it's not great, but it's not straight awful or anything, though I definitely don't have super high standards

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

What're people's issues with the combat? I've been playing it for the last week or so and it's not great, but it's not straight awful or anything, though I definitely don't have super high standards

Yeah, on top of the amazing writing, it has combat that is tolerably mediocre. This should, frankly, be a huge selling point to all the people who are used to completely unplayably bad combat in elder scrolls games. It's just.. still not dark souls.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah it's funny that Witcher catches so much flak for it's combat when nobody disputes that Elder Scrolls, one of the most popular RPG franchises in existence, has had much worse combat in every single iteration of the franchise.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bethesda should take its own advice and HALT production of Elder Scrolls games

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unless you're counting endless rereleases of Skyrim, I think they have.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There is nothing wrong with Skyrim's combat.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The combat in the Witcher is fine, so long as you never take a break longer than like two days and try to pick it up again.

There is a mod called wildcat that makes Skyrim combat better.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CowboyAndy posted:

After Undertale perfected it, everyone else just gave up.

undertale perfected being a detector to see who is hosed up, needs therapy and likes lovely garbage

everyone who likes it

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

There is nothing wrong with Skyrim's combat.

I am not going to be fooled by this poo poo a third time. (4th if you count daggerfall...lol)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I am not going to be fooled by this poo poo a third time. (4th if you count daggerfall...lol)

Daggerfall owns and I will fight you if you disagree

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Undertale is awful

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Daggerfall in the Unity engine looks pretty loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwGXf8y6XA&t=402s

(I would mute the vid if you watch it)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I mean, deciding your game world has to be bigger than IRL great britain is bold in a way I couldn't have fathomed in 1996. It's cool from that perspective but like, you don't actually want to play it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

you can't fight me if you can't catch me! *levitates away on his horse*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah it's funny that Witcher catches so much flak for it's combat when nobody disputes that Elder Scrolls, one of the most popular RPG franchises in existence, has had much worse combat in every single iteration of the franchise.

Elder Scrolls combat may be clunky but at least it's intuitive. Meanwhile the Witcher is the opposite.