Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

You have to punch the pins out to replace the pads, but you definitely shouldn't have to remove the pads from the caliper to get it back over the rotor and bolted onto the carrier.

Take off the chain guard, angle the wheel a bit to clear the caliper. I found a post on some UK forums where a guy says to take the pins out of the pads, but that seems excessive.

here we go:

Thanks for the help. I'll try to remove the chain guide next time to see if I can tip it to the side. No amount of tipping the wheel would let it clear the caliper the way I was trying, and you can't slide it forward off the guide because the brake line is too short to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Thanks for the help. I'll try to remove the chain guide next time to see if I can tip it to the side. No amount of tipping the wheel would let it clear the caliper the way I was trying, and you can't slide it forward off the guide because the brake line is too short to do so.

Interesting, on my 701 the brake line is just long enough. Getting the wheel out is easy enough, it's getting it back in that's a juggling act.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Slide Hammer posted:

I see... it's not that you meet the nicest people on a Honda, but that each Honda comes with a nice person instruction manual...

Hahah

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

On a Hawk GT you

1. remove the axle nut dust cover
2. remove the axle nut
3. there is no step 3

single-sided swingarms own

Fz6: remove rear axle nut with tool provided by Yamaha in the underseat too kit.
Push out rear axle.
Uh, yeah.
I guess you could call putting it up on the center stand a step, if you really wanted to.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
FJR: Loosen pinch bolt(s? I can't remember if there were two on the rear), loosen axle, disconnect the brake caliper tension bar thing that keeps it steady under load, pull the axle out, cry a little because something didn't work, wiggle it off the pumpkin, cry some more, swear a few minutes, eventually get it out.

To reverse, just throw it off a cliff because what a pain in the rear end.

VFR: Vwoop vwoop vwoop vwoop off go the lug nuts

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

FJR: Loosen pinch bolt(s? I can't remember if there were two on the rear), loosen axle, disconnect the brake caliper tension bar thing that keeps it steady under load, pull the axle out, cry a little because something didn't work, wiggle it off the pumpkin, cry some more, swear a few minutes, eventually get it out.

To reverse, just throw it off a cliff because what a pain in the rear end.

VFR: Vwoop vwoop vwoop vwoop off go the lug nuts

VFR lyfe.

Adjust chain: loosen lug nut, crank with tool, tighten lug nut.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Rear wheel on a DRZ just pops right off. I'll trade you straight up, you'll be thanking me.

20bux says he'll take my piece of poo poo over yours. :P
(p sure it's sold to a friend anyway)

The DR650 is a convoluted pile of assholes to remove the rear wheel too. Every time I work on the wifes bike that rear assembly just pisses me off sooo fuuucking muuuch. (its probably from the fact it uses a 17" rear and the caliper assembly is just a bag of dicks)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

cursedshitbox posted:

The DR650 is a convoluted pile of assholes to remove the rear wheel too. Every time I work on the wifes bike that rear assembly just pisses me off sooo fuuucking muuuch. (its probably from the fact it uses a 17" rear and the caliper assembly is just a bag of dicks)

I would love to see the maintenance diagram.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

I would love to see the maintenance diagram.

:confused::confused::confused:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

20bux says he'll take my piece of poo poo over yours. :P
(p sure it's sold to a friend anyway)

That's a safe bet. I love your biek.

What are you talking about on the DR650?! It's one of the simplest and most brilliant ways I've seen (outside of a SSA). The chain adjusters are awesome, and really easy to match up and use, and the rest of everything just slides right out in seconds.

Seriously, those chain adjusters are what I've needed in my life all these years, instead of the nut/bolt type that is a real pain to get matched up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
:D I hate to sell the fucker, but ahaha it ain' comin to Europe. gently caress the prices of shipping that bastage. I did find a KDX250SR here with everything NLA.

Oh I love the S cam adjusters. I just hate how you have to fight the cushdrive and everything else. Compared to a DRZ it's just 10 times the whore and makes me cranky.

FWIW I can wheelswap the rear end in a top hat in approx12 minutes, including the kickstand. Fuuuck having the sm swingarm and dealing with the slider blocks.

:golfclap:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

You need to remove the brake line from the stay. Rear wheel changes on the 690 SMC were some of the easiest I've ever done, so there's some sorta technique for removal you're not aware of here :)

I don't recall if this was the exact technique for the 690, but usually it's "slide wheel foward, lift off chain, move it forward / down a bit more to slide brake calipers free of rotor and lift off caliper and get it out of the way, slide wheel out".

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Not sure how a DR650 is set up, but on the DR350, the whole caliper sits on a rail on the swingarm. The brake line is juuuust long enough to slide the caliper backward off it as soon as the axle bolt is out of the caliper. Balls easy to remove and replace because of it, but a complete PITA to attempt while the caliper is on.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Barnsy posted:

VFR lyfe.

Adjust chain: loosen lug nut, crank with tool, tighten lug nut.

One thing I miss about my VFR was both the center stand and the ease of rear wheel/chain maintenance. I still have the chain adjustment tool, any DFW goons need one?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I miss my VFR, too. But then when I miss it I remember I have an FJR now which is pretty cool too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My rant is about the traffic staging lights in the HOV lanes. Now that my commute is a ton of freeway, I take the HOV lanes when possible on onramps, and they're often staggered with lights.

Well neither the SV or the Elite will make the light sense I'm there, so if I sit and wait I piss everyone off behind me, and if I blow through the light or even stop, wait and go on red, I get :argh: reactions from other drivers

I can't win in the HOV.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My rant is about the traffic staging lights in the HOV lanes. Now that my commute is a ton of freeway, I take the HOV lanes when possible on onramps, and they're often staggered with lights.

Well neither the SV or the Elite will make the light sense I'm there, so if I sit and wait I piss everyone off behind me, and if I blow through the light or even stop, wait and go on red, I get :argh: reactions from other drivers

I can't win in the HOV.

Why what you need is one of them there super magnets that set off the sensors on the light! They totally work and are not snake oil at all no sir!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

Why what you need is one of them there super magnets that set off the sensors on the light! They totally work and are not snake oil at all no sir!

Just clamp a big old I-beam to the bottom of your bike. Cruiser owners always tell you how a low centre of gravity improves things so it's a win-win!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can't win in the HOV.
In CA the light controlled ramps with a HOV lane tell the HOV lane not to stop, it's only for the normal lane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah here in WI the HOV lanes just let you get to the light easier, you don't get to skip it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can't win in the HOV.

I never stop at lights for onramps in my car and I only recently got honked at for the first time, yolo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wait is this really snake oil because I've been insisting for years that I cannot understand how a small magnet 1ft off the ground can do more to trip a sensor than an entire motorbike. People tell me it actually works, though. My DR is the worst at tripping sensors, and I've just gotten used to running reds.

Z3n posted:

You need to remove the brake line from the stay. Rear wheel changes on the 690 SMC were some of the easiest I've ever done, so there's some sorta technique for removal you're not aware of here :)

I don't recall if this was the exact technique for the 690, but usually it's "slide wheel foward, lift off chain, move it forward / down a bit more to slide brake calipers free of rotor and lift off caliper and get it out of the way, slide wheel out".

I swear I tried all this, and there wasn't enough clearance to move it forward all the way and pull off, nor enough slack to slide it all the way off the back. It really seemed to me that they designed it for the Enduro model and didn't realize the smaller and fatter wheel of the SMC wouldn't let it clear. KTM Problems.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Coydog posted:

Wait is this really snake oil because I've been insisting for years that I cannot understand how a small magnet 1ft off the ground can do more to trip a sensor than an entire motorbike. People tell me it actually works, though. My DR is the worst at tripping sensors, and I've just gotten used to running reds.

The only people I've seen recommend them are folks who ride bikes that are definitely large enough to trip sensors. Then again YMMV.
I've found that sitting diagonally in the lane has a high successes rate of tripping the sensor.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Most light sensors are inductive, right? They're looking for a closed loop of metal, not a certain weight. I always just line up directly over one side of the sensor, they're usually exposed a little. There's only a couple lights around me that it doesn't seem to work on, but it's really rare to be alone at an intersection unless it's at night in which case I just run the light.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

The only people I've seen recommend them are folks who ride bikes that are definitely large enough to trip sensors. Then again YMMV.
I've found that sitting diagonally in the lane has a high successes rate of tripping the sensor.

Two lights on my commute completely ignore my little bike, but they're the kind with two coils side-by-side like [][] and if I stop at a ~20% angle with one wheel in each loop they sense me just fine. :shrug:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just run it if there's no traffic

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

A MIRACLE posted:

I do this.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

In Oregon it's legal for a motorcyclist or bicyclist to run a light if it fails to turn green for one full cycle. Something similar is in effect in Washington I believe.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Ran into an old acquaintance at a corner store on my break. Who just tells a currently alive motorcyclist that motorcycles are death traps?

Also, in an unrelated incident, I know filtering isn't legal here, but neither is attempted vehicular manslaughter. Sorry you just had to be first in line, friend. I was on the DRZ too, I should have just let him clip me. I'd be fine (<10mph), the bike would clearly be fine, his paint would suffer a lot worse.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Revvik posted:

Ran into an old acquaintance at a corner store on my break. Who just tells a currently alive motorcyclist that motorcycles are death traps?

Also, in an unrelated incident, I know filtering isn't legal here, but neither is attempted vehicular manslaughter. Sorry you just had to be first in line, friend. I was on the DRZ too, I should have just let him clip me. I'd be fine (<10mph), the bike would clearly be fine, his paint would suffer a lot worse.

they're like christians, they think they're 'saving' you

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

I swear I tried all this, and there wasn't enough clearance to move it forward all the way and pull off, nor enough slack to slide it all the way off the back. It really seemed to me that they designed it for the Enduro model and didn't realize the smaller and fatter wheel of the SMC wouldn't let it clear. KTM Problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybyk5fYxdd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phBSOvslOAQ&t=74s

I've owned 2 of them and the rear wheel change shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as you're describing. I forgot that the 690 has the caliper mounted forward, so it should be just "push forward, remove chain, drop wheel straight out of the back".

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

big money big clit posted:

In Oregon it's legal for a motorcyclist or bicyclist to run a light if it fails to turn green for one full cycle. Something similar is in effect in Washington I believe.

I learned about dealing with this BS years ago when my daily driver was a tiny car that would not trigger the left turn lane to turn into the apartments I lived in at the time. At the time, that law hadn't been passed (was only passed 2 years ago), but even if it had been passed those ten years ago or so, it still wouldn't have worked for me since it was my car (only bikes I was riding then were dirt bikes, off road) that was failing to trigger the light - about 9 times out of ten that I was the first/only car in the turn lane, it would fail to trigger and I could be stuck through multiple cycles for 10+ minutes until a larger car came behind me to trigger the sensor so I could finally go. Since it was the turn to get into my apartments and I had to use it to get to my home, I ran that red light a lot.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

big money big clit posted:

We have that rule in WI too, I just run 4-ways after I give it long enough to figure out it can't sense me and traffic is clear.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So are timed lights just not a thing in the states?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

So are timed lights just not a thing in the states?

There's a couple of things in play here. Some lights are only triggered on demand, some have two timed cycles, long & short, with long being the default.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chris Knight posted:

There's a couple of things in play here. Some lights are only triggered on demand, some have two timed cycles, long & short, with long being the default.

Some change from timed to on demand depending on time of day/day of week, too.

I have a light on my way home from work that is, no poo poo, six minutes long for my side of traffic. It drives me insane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I have the same thing it sucks. I come from a business park onto a very busy street and I sit long enough for the fan to kick in on both the SV and the Elite, both of which rarely happen in normal driving.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

They are a blight upon the canine world. And should be held in the same regard as rats. Except that they bark in that yappy annoying bark.

They are weird, I've known some that were Satan incarnate, and others that wanted nothing more in the world than to cuddle with you right now this instant, and were ridiculously adorable.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Correlation doesnt equal causation but I decided to record a video with my phone while its on the RAM mount and I had 5 separate people pull out infront of me on the way home instead of the usual 2 :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I was in a turn lane last week that was not sensing me, so I turned and beckoned the soccer mom behind me to close the gap while I made space forward. She look at me, and refused. I made more hand signals, and pointed at where she should be, and she shook her head, refusing. I pointed to the light, pointed to her car, pointed to the empty space, and then after a few more seconds, she very slowly, very cautiously crept forward, even though she was more than a car length behind.

Some people...