Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mr. BT posted:

I went back and looked at that draft. What were the Suns doing that year when they drafted Rondo and traded him for nothing?

They got a pick for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Haha

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mr. BT posted:

I went back and looked at that draft. What were the Suns doing that year when they drafted Rondo and traded him for nothing?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The weird days when people sold top 15 picks for cash

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

I got the itch to do something creative with basketball. Would any of you turbonerds like to do a podcast with me and my monotone nerd voice about the NBA draft and rookies over the course of the first year?

I'm down

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Adam Hanga is staying in Europe.

I don't know what the Spurs are doing at all.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Lavar Ball might be "good for the NBA" or something but I'm so loving sick of him already. He's not interesting or insightful or endearingly goofy, he's just a loud dumbass and he's making me dislike Lonzo Ball specifically because they're this package deal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I don't want to undersell this because however bad you think Garpax is about the bottom line the Suns in the mid 2000s were way worse and it almost certainly hurt the Suns in the long run.

Players that were traded or sold by the Suns for money reasons*, 2004-2009:
-Luol Deng
-Marcin Gortat
-Sergio Rodriguez
-Rudy Fernandez
-Rajon Rondo
-Kurt Thomas
-James Jones
-Emir Preldzc
-Shaquille O'Neal

*meaning deal involved cash considerations

Not to mention letting young Joe Johnson walk

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

rivetz posted:

Lavar Ball might be "good for the NBA" or something but I'm so loving sick of him already. He's not interesting or insightful or endearingly goofy, he's just a loud dumbass and he's making me dislike Lonzo Ball specifically because they're this package deal.

He's honestly getting minstrel treatment at this point, where a bunch of white basketball commentators or reporters just roll him in, poke him and egg him on until he says something that amuses or outrages them as they look pleasantly bemused the whole time

It really stinks for Lonzo and for Lavar too

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

I remember being particularly crushed about that one because there wasn't a huge gap between the sides if I remember correctly.

How many of those moves involved David Griffin?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's honestly getting minstrel treatment at this point, where a bunch of white basketball commentators or reporters just roll him in, poke him and egg him on until he says something that amuses or outrages them as they look pleasantly bemused the whole time

It really stinks for Lonzo and for Lavar too

Man, minstrel treatment? He's acting like sho'nuff from the last dragon. He's doing an act to get Trump style free publicity for his fatally flawed basketball kids and his lifestyle brand, it's perfectly tailored to the take era

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Man, minstrel treatment? He's acting like sho'nuff from the last dragon. He's doing an act to get Trump style free publicity for his fatally flawed basketball kids and his lifestyle brand, it's perfectly tailored to the take era

It made more sense before Lonzo was in the league but now that he's on the Lakers people are clearly just trying to get him to say something stupid and outrageous without the pretext of "caring but crazy father who wants his son on the Lakers" anymore and it feels goofy and cynical because they're seeking it out

Sho'nuff from the Last Dragon just made me laugh too hard though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hey Sean Marks, your restricted free agent contacts are brilliant

Didn't seem to care about the compliment

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Busta Rhymes made a good Sho Nuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu-dxGdIkdQ&t=140s

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

love that super dave does nba stuff

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

support net neutrality mark. without it the internet would look like that

*Points to Satnam Singh running down the floor*

it's not pretty

GOAT

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

WhyteRyce posted:

support net neutrality mark. without it the internet would look like that

*Points to Satnam Singh running down the floor*

it's not pretty

The king is in the building folks

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Brolander posted:

love that super dave does nba stuff

P.J. "Old Whiskey" "P. J." Carlesimo has some leathery cords, presumably they were rustled loose when Spree choked him out

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 10, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Declan MacManus posted:

I don't want to undersell this because however bad you think Garpax is about the bottom line the Suns in the mid 2000s were way worse and it almost certainly hurt the Suns in the long run.

Players that were traded or sold by the Suns for money reasons*, 2004-2009:
-Luol Deng
-Marcin Gortat
-Sergio Rodriguez
-Rudy Fernandez
-Rajon Rondo
-Kurt Thomas
-James Jones
-Emir Preldzc
-Shaquille O'Neal

*meaning deal involved cash considerations

All good reasons for why Robert Sarver should not be allowed to be an owner.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

P.J. "Old Whiskey" "P. J." Carlesimo has some leathery cords, presumably they were rustled loose when Spree choked him out

George Bluth is narrating the announcing from house arrest.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

George Bluth is narrating the announcing from house arrest.

Check out what Jalen just did

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/884216569798066176

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
He dunked that Blazers guy back onto a Macedonian basketball team's roster

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No one's gonna point out that white dude's awkward triple threat stance into an old man bounce pass?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

No one's gonna point out that white dude's awkward triple threat stance into an old man bounce pass?

Zizic has been so terrible that him getting off a pass is worthy of admiration at this point. He looks like he has lyme disease on the court

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Declan MacManus posted:

I got the itch to do something creative with basketball. Would any of you turbonerds like to do a podcast with me and my monotone nerd voice about the NBA draft and rookies over the course of the first year?

I'd be down if you want someone to bring your show to a screeching halt with data driven BS

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Apparently there's been a report that the Timberwolves turned down Aldrich+1st rounder for CJ Miles.

If true, good on Thibs. Would rather sign back Brandon Rush for the minimum if you're desperate for spacing.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

the trick to being good at basketball is to make yourself several feet taller if you're short, or several feet shorter if you're tall

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

Zizic has been so terrible that him getting off a pass is worthy of admiration at this point. He looks like he has lyme disease on the court

On the plus side Ojeleye has looked pretty solid.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

On the plus side Ojeleye has looked pretty solid.

Hell yeah and he's got huge manly muscles

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

*zizek voice* the triple threat is ideology

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Apparently there's been a report that the Timberwolves turned down Aldrich+1st rounder for CJ Miles.

If true, good on Thibs. Would rather sign back Brandon Rush for the minimum if you're desperate for spacing.

Brandon Rush was really terrible though. However, I think getting Crawford has helped. Right now the second unit is Dieng/Bjeli/Crawford/Tyus with I think Wiggins playing a lot with the second unit. The bench looks at least average now.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crawford wasn't good last year but that contract is pretty low risk.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What's Anthony Morrow up to these days

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Crawford wasn't good last year but that contract is pretty low risk.

Compare him to Brandon Rush. Rush got 20 minutes a game with a 6.6 PER. Crawford is an upgrade even if he is worse than last year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lol they really wanted DeMarre gone as much as possible

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Declan MacManus posted:

Id be interested

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I will do this as long as I get to play 'dude who doesn't know anything about basketball except that it's fun to watch' and you can teach me cool poo poo.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: Wrong thread!

But I do have some questions while I'm here! I grew up in Chicago in the 90's, so obviously I was really into basketball, but I stopped keeping track after '98 and was definitely too young while I was watching to appreciate any of the strategy. Recently though, I've been seeing a bunch of basketball stuff about the playoffs and offseason on my twitter timeline and getting real nostalgic, so I thought I might try to get back into watching it. I have three main questions:

1) What are my best bets for watching if I don't have TV service? I got a decent-sized TV that's hooked up to an XBox, so are there any good options for streaming sites or apps that I can use? Happy to pay for a subscription if necessary
2) Who should I be a fan of? I'm really hesitant to go back to the Bulls because I don't want to compare everything the current team does to my idealized memories of MJ and his superhero friends, so I'm kinda just looking for a team that's decent enough that watching them won't be constant heartbreak, and fun enough to watch that I can really develop that love. Things that I, a basketball dummy, think are cool as hell include big men plowing through defenders and big men doing authoritative blocks, so please direct me towards any teams that do a whole bunch of that poo poo, or just please tell me a sentence or two about why your own team is the coolest and I'll 100% be convinced
3) Are there any good resources for understanding terminology and strategy? Like, I remember enough about the basic rules, and I know broadly what each of the positions are supposed to do, but I definitely don't have enough knowledge of the game to appreciate what's going on beyond "gently caress, that big man plowed through that defender"

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 10, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Tae posted:

I read somewhere that it was Miles pushing for them to hurry up and make the trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

I got a mic and a spit shield and the whole enchilada, I'll do it

• Locked thread