Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

i tend to love the super metroid races but i'm actually super excited it's not the penultimate run anymore. really interested to see if save/kill the animals is going to be as hyped up as usual as a result.

AGDQ's race was primo bad and might have had something to do with it-- like there have been rough SM races in the past at GDQ but wow AGDQ 2017's was a massive dud

Hey, we learned a lot about the hotel shuttle bus at AGDQ 2017's run, it wasn't all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i got the speedrun achievement in specter of torment :neckbeard:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Where are...

...the pastebins?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Pastebins take a little time.

By the end of the event people got enough noise complaints that a staff kinda told them "there's no guest rooms on floor7" so that turned from a smallish gathering to a party in the hallway complete with a beerpong table and a bucket of booze no one was guarding.

Eventually staff came with 1 local cop and broke it up. Im actually pretty sure that if the booze cooler was off to the side and there was someone at least pretending to check IDs the hotel wouldn't have cared, at least not as much.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I was initially a part of the "lol an eight hour RPG run" crew so here's a confession: I actually liked the Final Fantasy VII run. The commentary was top notch.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Where are...

...the pastebins?

I don't think there was really much drama this GDQ unless you count people trying to find a reason to be upset with ProtoMagicalGirl.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Yeah even the idiot from the JSRF commentary realized he was being an idiot about his reaction to being warned.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

SeXReX posted:

Yeah even the idiot from the JSRF commentary realized he was being an idiot about his reaction to being warned.

What was this about?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

He made a bad joke that without knowing what he was going for could sound like a really dumb xenophobic comment.

After the run off stream when gdq staff warned him about it he tried to defend it and they didn't budge.

Then after losing an argument about his jokes landing he thought that was a good time to try for an "ironic references to self-harm" joke and didn't understand why they asked if he needed help.

See, I feel dumber even writing that out there's no good drama anymore.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

SeXReX posted:

See, I feel dumber even writing that out there's no good drama anymore.

That's probably a good thing.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SeXReX posted:

Pastebins take a little time.

By the end of the event people got enough noise complaints that a staff kinda told them "there's no guest rooms on floor7" so that turned from a smallish gathering to a party in the hallway complete with a beerpong table and a bucket of booze no one was guarding.

Eventually staff came with 1 local cop and broke it up. Im actually pretty sure that if the booze cooler was off to the side and there was someone at least pretending to check IDs the hotel wouldn't have cared, at least not as much.

They did it again last night. Also busted again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I heard that people from the BotW community were super pissed that Orca submitted it despite everyone else abstaining until better runs could be developed.

This, of course, due to the nature of horrible shutin internet nerds, immediately shifted to "they did it because they're a loving tranny".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hope everyone returned from your shitposting vacations safely, all

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Invictus posted:

I heard that people from the BotW community were super pissed that Orca submitted it despite everyone else abstaining until better runs could be developed.
I actually thought that the waiting period on stuff like that was due to the GDQ side of things and not the community voluntarily not submitting, so I guess that's at least marginally interesting to know, but that's still super gross what it turned into.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Weird how the zelda community is so lovely

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
You think Shiek would have made them a little better about trans people.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Aurora posted:

Weird how the zelda community is so lovely

They might not be? There's definitely a group of lovely people that attach themselves to any speedrun drama with the express purpose of poo poo talking GDQs, Narcissa, or other trans runners. The comments boil down to "we expect that Person A would do this because we also think they're subhuman"

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

This, of course, due to the nature of horrible shutin internet nerds, immediately shifted to "they did it because they're a loving tranny".

It's amazing that the BotW speed running community could develop so quickly in the span of only three days.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

It's amazing that the BotW speed running community could develop so quickly in the span of only three days.

It was a secret cabal shaddow government of twilight princess and skyward sword runners deciding everything.

They're still mad they run such bad games so they wanted to make being a botw runner just as awful

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Studio posted:

They might not be? There's definitely a group of lovely people that attach themselves to any speedrun drama with the express purpose of poo poo talking GDQs, Narcissa, or other trans runners. The comments boil down to "we expect that Person A would do this because we also think they're subhuman"

It makes it hard to laugh at the really dumb things people sometimes do because there are edgy teenagers who think part of speedrunning drama is that a trans person is doing the speedrunning

some of the weirdest parts of that are the bizarre conspiracy theories they come up with too

i read one recently where the staff was getting rich off GDQ and making the volunteers do all the work, and that idea was just accepted by everyone there pretty much

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

eonwe posted:

It makes it hard to laugh at the really dumb things people sometimes do because there are edgy teenagers who think part of speedrunning drama is that a trans person is doing the speedrunning

some of the weirdest parts of that are the bizarre conspiracy theories they come up with too

i read one recently where the staff was getting rich off GDQ and making the volunteers do all the work, and that idea was just accepted by everyone there pretty much

"Anonymous gdq donations are a money laundering scheme" is another really good one

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

All 3D Zelda games are bad though.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Infected posted:

All 3D Zelda games are bad though.

Darksiders and okami are ok

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Infected posted:

All 2D Zelda games are bad though.

fixd

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah it's pretty funny that people were trying to claim they had an organized BOTW running community to make decisions not to submit with how close the deadline to submit was to the game coming out.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny that people were trying to claim they had an organized BOTW running community to make decisions not to submit with how close the deadline to submit was to the game coming out.

most of the work developing routes and strategies is actually done on a single discord (which im a member of since i did some of that before i decided it was too much work to actually run), which existed from day 1 and is where that decision was made, but from what i've seen in the chat they were mostly like 'w/e' and just kibitzing during the run and orcastraw's been back on there with no drama since

the people actually using that as evidence of some GRAND EVIL are uninvolved fuckos who are really mad at her existence, not people actually in the community

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 10, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Post the uyama Rocky & Bullwinkle pic

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Hearing from a lot of attendees that the hotel was one big No Fun Zone. Anyone have details?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
After 2.5 hours of supergun setup, I don't think we're going to be seeing Tetris any time soon at a GDQ.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Violently Car posted:

Hearing from a lot of attendees that the hotel was one big No Fun Zone. Anyone have details?

Probably this:

SeXReX posted:

Also you all are incredibly thirsty for drama

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Violently Car posted:

It's petulant man-children having to take care of somehow even more petulant man-children, they kind of have to stamp out any sense of fun because the people they have to deal with at these things don't know how to reign something in and not make asses of themselves.

On the plus side they end dumb poo poo like the MAGA hat tards but the down side is you get dumb poo poo like banning Bonesaw for a year and making mountains out of mole hills.

Fogie
Mar 1, 2003

Bonesaw being banned for "having fun" is one of those zombie lies that will never go away because reddit diaper babies are convinced GDQ is staffed by scowling old dowagers

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

free bonesaw

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Bonesaw is in fact now free.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

our work here is done

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Bonesaw's Jak run was super funny but he shouldn't have encouraged people to spam Air Canada's twitter. I don't know why the staff was so adamant about him not making Owen Wilson jokes though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

imo we shouldn't be so smug about bonesaw's "permanent ban with permanent prejudice for being a cool fun dude" narrative being perpetuated outside of here since I saw misinformation being thrown around by regulars constantly in the spam thread last week :/

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

At least Patty on the couch was on the couch for a few runs this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Aurora posted:

At least Patty on the couch was on the couch for a few runs this time

too bad he wasn't funny for most of them

• Locked thread