Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I missed Kairi Hojo vs Mayu Iwatani, I'll add to that to the list.

GLOW is a TV show and was posted by Senerio as a joke, it isn't a valid option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

What about the DoA Cage Match? I demand justice for YAMATO in the Something Awful 2017 Match of the Year Thread.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

If it was posted seriously would it be a valid option?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
my personal match of the year, vader vs mankind on this replay of boy meets world

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

If it was posted seriously would it be a valid option?

No.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Senerio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQG1kz1L5iw

Yugi vs Kaiba at the WCS.

Legit one of the most tense matches of 2016.

"So tell me, Yugi... is Obelisk the Tormentor still in your deck?"

Thank you, this is amazing and I want to vote for it again this year. I love how they have to say the full name every time :golfclap:

Even though it's clearly FAKE they don't even shuffle the cards! :argh:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Fair enough, though I would argue that a series of moves performed in a wrestling ring between two or more competitors, for the purpose of telling a story counts as a wrestling match for the purposes of a not too serious thread.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

here comes the big swerve. i actually also nominate the unremarkable scene edited together from 3 to 15 second sequences. now you have to include it

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Cavauro posted:

here comes the big swerve. i actually also nominate the unremarkable scene edited together from 3 to 15 second sequences. now you have to include it

GLOW, LU or the Matthews/Borash match last night?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jerusalem posted:

To clarify, I was serious when I nominated it, but I didn't expect it to be accepted.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mkay0 posted:

GLOW, LU or the Matthews/Borash match last night?

yeah

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Disappointed that Glow is not being considered, I seriously nominated it

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hm this thread vs the gas chamber

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mkay0 posted:

How is it less of a match than Final Deletion or literally any Lucha Underground match?

The Grindhouse Wrestling Epic mostly does stuff in one take while I assume GLOW is done in multiple takes but if it's one take I throw my support behind GLOW being the Match of the Year 2017 because Billy Corgan wrote a song about it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

The Grindhouse Wrestling Epic mostly does stuff in one take while I assume GLOW is done in multiple takes but if it's one take I throw my support behind GLOW being the Match of the Year 2017 because Billy Corgan wrote a song about it.

MOTY 2008: Randy "The Ram" Robinson vs. The Ayatollah, The Wrestler 9/5

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Put the stupid match on the dumb list that means nothing

Super No Vacancy posted:

hm this thread vs the gas chamber

2nd

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Squash/Burial Match of the Year: Lana vs Naomi, Smackdown 7/4/17.

Truly the greatest of squash matches. :allears:

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I was another earnestly endorsing the GLOW match :)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cavauro posted:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the better GLOW match is actually the one at the end of episode 7 except for the gently caress finish, tbh

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lmao

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's July 6th Korakuen Hall show.

MOTYC - MaxiMuM vs. Jimmyz, Captains’ Fall Naniwa Rules Elimination Match: Kotoka(c), Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Big R Shimizu, Ben-K vs. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!(c), Jimmy Susumu, Jimmy Kanda, Ryo “Jimmy” Saito, Jimmy K-ness J.K.S

This match was both everything people love about Dragon Gate and everything people hate about Dragon Gate. A nonsensically-structured clusterfuck of a match that's nearly impenetrable unless you closely follow the promotion. Yet it was hype as gently caress and about as exciting and high-speed as you can get in wrestling. The last twenty/fifteen minutes are just non-stop amazing, and it has one of my favorite over-the-top-rope eliminations I've seen in years, and the Dragon Gate booking committee has to have at least one wizard on it to get Kotoka of all people over as a fiery babyface. Real good poo poo, MaxiMuM/Jimmyz Feud of the Year, easily.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 7, 2017

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

2nd the MaxiMum/Jimmyz match. Best stuff I've seen out of DG this year. Rest of the show was really solid, too.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
HM: Trevor Lee vs. Michael Elgin - MWV / CWF Mid-Atlantic Summerheat - 6/3/17
Aired on CWF Mid-Atlantic Worldwide 7/5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xGtUdTC--E&t=1388s (23:08 for intros, 27:00 for match)

Very strong match from the tiny Mid-Atlantic Sportatorium, with both guys giving their all in front of what looks like 100 people. The logic of the work makes sense considering the size and style difference between the two, the length is just about right for the magnitude of the title match. Lee has been champion since February 2016 and Elgin gives him one of his toughest challenges for the belt. Commentary's not great as it seems like they are forcing Brad Stutts to shoehorn in as much promo work for people that may have just clicked on a link to the match (hint hint) but I can overlook it. Glad this was the episode I picked to start watching CWF Mid-Atlantic.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM: Anthony Henry vs. Ethan Case, PWX This Is How We Do It, 7/8

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
HM: Iron Man Match - Hardy Boyz vs. Sheamus and Cesaro, WWE Great Balls of Fire 7/9

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

HM: Iron Man Match - Hardy Boyz vs. Sheamus and Cesaro, WWE Great Balls of Fire 7/9

Normally I'd agree, but holy poo poo that three-count botch there spoiled it. That should've been 4-4 sudden death.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

I'll second it. The last 10 minutes or so were really good and the last couple of minutes was pretty fantastic.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

EugeneJ posted:

Hell yeah I liked this

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Venomous posted:

Normally I'd agree, but holy poo poo that three-count botch there spoiled it. That should've been 4-4 sudden death.

i'm not so sure it was a botch

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Samoa Joe vs. Brock Lesnar, WWE Great Balls of Fire, 7/9

e: gently caress it, HM: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman, WWE Great Balls of Fire, 7/9

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Venomous posted:

No

Venomous posted:

e: gently caress it, HM: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman, WWE Great Balls of Fire, 7/9

Yes

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Match of the loving year Brock vs Joe

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Venomous posted:

Both

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Venomous posted:

EugeneJ posted:

heck sure

WWE Balls was a pretty solid show over all

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ALso HM for Hardys/Cesaro+Sheamus ironman match at WWE Great Balls of Fire

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It won't win and it shouldn't but I'm glad to see the 2017 elimination chamber on that list. Not only did the right guy win but it was the best EC match I've ever seen. All six of the performers had time to shine and it never looked like the messy clusterfuck those matches often become.

As for what's gonna win the year, well... if anything tops Okada/Omega this year I'll mark out so hard my brain may explode.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Venomous posted:

I'll second this

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

HM to Brock/Joe, the tag ironman and Roman/Braun

Roman and Braun should just kill each other forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
7/14, CMLL Arena Mexico

HM: CARÍSTICO, MÍSTICO Y DRAGON LEE
vs
MEPHISTO, LUCIFERNO Y EPHESTO

Very close to a MOTYC but had a couple miscues. Some of the best high flying you'll see all year.

• Locked thread