Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Human faces generally shouldn't be that slimy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's important to stay hydrated

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Human faces generally shouldn't be that slimy.
just because you don't moisturize regularly doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't

I just got to the part where she gets aroused just by hearing how strong the Student Council is and yeah she rules

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe not good, but certainly powerful.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
grouchio why'd you even respond to the person who wasn't even reccing it to you specifically

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Colonel posted:

grouchio why'd you even respond to the person who wasn't even reccing it to you specifically
I felt like saying my piece.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think, you've said your piece on this exact subject enough already

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Princess Principal's first episode was great

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread added to OP :toot:

quote:

Fate/Apocrypha
A-1 Pictures | Asai, Yoshiyuki | ... | Light Novel | Action, Historical, Supernatural, Drama, Magic, Fantasy | July 2, 2017
The setting is a parallel world to Fate/stay night where the Greater Grail mysteriously disappeared from Fuyuki after the Third Holy Grail War. After many years of silence, around the same time as the Fifth Holy Grail War would have happened, the Yggdmillennia, a family of magi, openly declares their secession from the Mage's Association, and that they are in possession of the Grail. The Association dispatches fifty magi to retrieve it, and all but one are instantly slaughtered by a mysterious Servant. The one remaining manages to activate the reserve system of the Greater Grail, allowing for the summoning of fourteen Servants in total.
In the city of Trifas, two factions will fight for the control of the sacred relic, each of them possessing their own team of seven Servants : the Black Faction whose members are part of Yggdmillennia, protecting the Grail, and the Red Faction whose members were sent by the Mage's Association, trying to take the Grail back. For an event of this scale, the Grail itself summons its own Servant, the holy Ruler, to oversee the conflict.
This marks the start of the Great Holy Grail War.
PV
Thread

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

made in abyss, despite every post in this thread trying to convince me of the opposite, was actually pretty good

altair was good but the soundtrack was insanely overused wth

princess principal was ok. i dunno if what they're going for is landing with me, but at least its different

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

esselfortium posted:

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits was a very fun surprise. It's about some goofy girls reenacting their favorite sentai shows and it is absolutely hilarious.

The OP for this is pretty great as a callback to the 80s.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tonight my friend and I checked out the first eps of Altair, Vatican, and Ballroom. Altair seems about what I'd expect from what I remember of the manga, which I recall liking more a few chapters in, so I'll be watching more. Vatican show was weird, but could be good. They overuse the choral music, it should have been reserved for more intense moments instead of always. Ballroom has serious potential to kick rear end, I love it so far.

We also finished last season's sukasuka, which was good, but the last half ep or so was rushed and a bit confusing. Still, I liked it quite a bit, and it was visually really cool when it wanted to be (I'm looking at you, rear end arm monster).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I also watched Cheer Fruits the other day, and it's good.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

altair seems interesting so far. i like the setting. not so sure about the narration but maybe that's just a first episode thing?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like, their giant turbans. I don't like, the rushed pace.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I like, their giant turbans. I don't like, the rushed pace.

:same:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

there are a lot of paper airplanes in dive

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

esselfortium posted:

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits was a very fun surprise. It's about some goofy girls reenacting their favorite sentai shows and it is absolutely hilarious.

It's great.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I have some first episode impressions.

Hina Logi: This feels like it's going to be a generic magical girl show, which I don't mind. Hell, I like generic magical girl shows.

Princess Principal: I went into this with some pretty high hopes and expectations, and I have to say they were pretty well met. If it keeps up this pace, this is a shoe-in for my favorite anime this season.

Fate/Apocrypha: First episode had about as much exposition and you'd expect for this series, and it did a good job of making me look forward to future episodes. I really appreciated the way Mordred delivered the 'master' line.

Made in Abyss: This is probably going to end up being my 2nd favorite series this season after Princess Principal.

Centaur's Worries: Not that I have a problem with SoL, and I remember it being done well in the manga, but I hope future episodes spend more time on the setting's society (like the teacher's speech about halfway through).

Castlevania: I watched all of this and I feel like this is what the Berserk anime should have been.

Nobunaga no Shinbobi is still running, and it's still good.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

We also finished last season's sukasuka, which was good, but the last half ep or so was rushed and a bit confusing. Still, I liked it quite a bit, and it was visually really cool when it wanted to be (I'm looking at you, rear end arm monster).

I really liked the Sukasuka's setting and it did a good job of making me care about the characters, but I felt its attention to its characters was lopsided. The kids in particular ended up getting pushed into the background after it made it seem like they would get more time spent on them.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ballroom really is Haikyuu as all heck huh.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I want a dancing anime that's Teekyuu as all heck.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Can't have that many bees underground, sorry.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

you know, people talking about Kakegurui being repulsive in the animation or whatever.... it makes me think of Aku no Hana's grotesque rotoscoping

i love it

wolfs fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 10, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The Vatican Pretty Boys show gave me motion sickness, because it absolutely refused to stop either panning or zooming in every single scene for 24 minutes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing that annoyed me a surprising amount with Princess Principal was the mismatch between the content and the colour palette. Like, this is a high enough concept show that it might as well be writing storyboards of samurai mecha fighting psychic clones of Barack Obama and dropping them from the peak of Everest. It's this goofy as gently caress twisty yarn about anti-gravity schoolgirls in Gothic Lolita ninja outfits fighting the Cold War in steampunk London by suplexing cars and chopping up the not-Stasi with katanas, and yet they went for this subdued, realistic palette with lots of earth tones that just sucks so much of the ridiculous spectacle out of it all. At least Code Geass and Valvrave understood that an eye-hurtingly garish story should have eye-hurtingly garish visuals. I kind of felt the same way about the Metal Gear Solid franchise, actually, especially the sillier bits like Revengeance. This should be fun, and often is fun, but you're not making it look like fun.

Kakegurui understands this, bringing in vivid, demonic primary colours whenever poo poo gets crazy, and for this and many other reasons it remains the coolest trash show of the season (with Symphogear likely mounting strong competition, admittedly).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Command Ant posted:

I really liked the Sukasuka's setting and it did a good job of making me care about the characters, but I felt its attention to its characters was lopsided. The kids in particular ended up getting pushed into the background after it made it seem like they would get more time spent on them.

The anime only adapted the first 3 (of 5) novels of the first series. The kids are the main characters of the sequel series.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing that annoyed me a surprising amount with Princess Principal was the mismatch between the content and the colour palette. Like, this is a high enough concept show that it might as well be writing storyboards of samurai mecha fighting psychic clones of Barack Obama and dropping them from the peak of Everest. It's this goofy as gently caress twisty yarn about anti-gravity schoolgirls in Gothic Lolita ninja outfits fighting the Cold War in steampunk London by suplexing cars and chopping up the not-Stasi with katanas, and yet they went for this subdued, realistic palette with lots of earth tones that just sucks so much of the ridiculous spectacle out of it all. At least Code Geass and Valvrave understood that an eye-hurtingly garish story should have eye-hurtingly garish visuals. I kind of felt the same way about the Metal Gear Solid franchise, actually, especially the sillier bits like Revengeance. This should be fun, and often is fun, but you're not making it look like fun.

Kakegurui understands this, bringing in vivid, demonic primary colours whenever poo poo gets crazy, and for this and many other reasons it remains the coolest trash show of the season (with Symphogear likely mounting strong competition, admittedly).

it looked very 00s with the backgrounds and the scene where the background was just a photo of flowers was hidious but i generally thought it looked fine outside of the fact that it all looked exceedingly fuzzy.

they should have just set it in cold war berlin though, but then you cant do steampunk princesses in school uniforms

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What the eye-color changes in Kakegurui brought to mind immediately was the Death Note anime.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Nothing really catching my eye this season aside from Made in Abyss, which is Good & Cute.

It's really starting to be distressing how many "otaku/vanilla MC stuck in a fantasy world" shows there are.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TriffTshngo posted:

Nothing really catching my eye this season aside from Made in Abyss, which is Good & Cute.

It's really starting to be distressing how many "otaku/vanilla MC stuck in a fantasy world" shows there are.

Isekaids

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I watched Saiyuki Reload, it seems okay. The art and lore looks great, a mixture of western designs and technology alongside buddhist imagery. And the character writing was quite empathetic, the villagers actually made sense on some level instead of being meaningless civilians that deserve to be slaughtered for their moral transgressions or saved without agency.

Except... who the gently caress are the MCs fighting? The "demons" are clearly intelligent sapient beings that wear clothes and can be reasoned with, why the gently caress have they all transformed into brigands and are raiding every single village? And when the MCs fight, they loving merk them, and the camera revels in the blood spraying everywhere. What the hell is the nature of the conflict in the show, and why everyone is out to get them?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you like Sports Anime (and Shaft-y necks) watch Welcome to the Ballroom (motherfucker). If you like sports anime about pretty boys with normal necks (and almost all of the popular VA's from the 90's- early 00's), watch Clean Freak! Aoyama-kun. If you want to watch cute girls make scary faces, watch Kakegurui.

Or just finish with your backlog. Whatever floats your boat.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

it looked very 00s with the backgrounds

i loved this. it was really unexpected and cool to me how just the main girls are in Kuroboshi Kouhaku's cute style and everything else has that earthy look like they're in a show from a decade ago. the first ep's story threw me off guard a few times and its self-contained nature is a great way to highlight the main chars via contrast.

also the Japanese girl is my favorite for sure and she has all of the best outfits, the highlight being her school uniform with the Kimono-coat hybrid.

Princess Principal will be good, is my prediction

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the necks in Ballroom come from Haikyuu staff+the original manga

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TriffTshngo posted:

Too much Isekai, too little ecchi OVAs, and just enough moe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sadly Centaurs Worries didn't start with chapter 0

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Summer 2017: Too much Isekai, too little ecchi OVAs, and just enough moe

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/884383398445428742

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013