Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm hoping that Don Jr. and whomever else is dumb enough that we get a moment like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rh9w-CYBcM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hollismason posted:

I keep forgetting that Trump has another daughter.

So does Trump.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

farraday posted:

Two male hookers and a horse costume?

With a giant leather dildo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This will at least be interesting because afaik Jr. doesn't have any confidentiality-based right to privacy right?

They're claiming Trump wasn't at that meeting, so no, nothing from that meeting fits the executive privilege language.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well even if Don Jr falls you can't charge two people with the same last name with the same crime. Double Jeopardy.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

empty whippet box posted:

Maybe, but they sure are acting quickly. We're sure to get a tweetstorm in the morning that will make it worse, too.

Don Jr. meeting w/Russians is #FAKENEWS. Real story is Crooked H deal to sell Russians #URANIUM. Much worse collusion! No puppet!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Chilichimp posted:

They're claiming Trump wasn't at that meeting, so no, nothing from that meeting fits the executive privilege language.

Does executive privilege extend to acts before inauguration?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Mantis42 posted:

Well even if Don Jr falls you can't charge two people with the same last name with the same crime. Double Jeopardy.

Relax, there are more than enough felonies and treasons here to go around.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

twice burned ice posted:

Don Jr. meeting w/Russians is #FAKENEWS. Real story is Crooked H deal to sell Russians #URANIUM. Much worse collusion! No puppet!

It's going to be almost this exactly.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

He has the worst loving attorney.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

La Brea Carpet posted:

Does executive privilege extend to acts before inauguration?

I don't think executive privilege has any limit other than it has to pertain to the executive.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Chilichimp posted:

I don't think executive privilege has any limit other than it has to pertain to the executive.

Oh I actually know this.

Executive privilege is reserved for traditionally executive functions and is generally absolute however it does not defeat Congressional investigations with specific criminal investigatory reasons where privilege must yield.

In other words, you can't start a case with things that are protected by privilege, but once you have a case and can show an actual basis, the President cannot claim privilege. That said, privilege SHOULD be personal to the President, which is why Jeff Sessions was pissing everyone off when he refused to answer if Trump had told him to plead privilege.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

And seeing that Jr. is not actually part of the government other than through nepotism there really are no protections other than the 5th amendment.

And boy have we been reminded of it since hey Trump doesn't have any conflicts of interest because that's all being done through his kids!!!

Now I just want to see if the DJT is cold enough to throw his own son under the bus (he is)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

And seeing that Jr. is not actually part of the government other than through nepotism there really are no protections other than the 5th amendment.

And boy have we been reminded of it since hey Trump doesn't have any conflicts of interest because that's all being done through his kids!!!

Now I just want to see if the DJT is cold enough to throw his own son under the bus (he is)

Trump will never admit to anything, ever, no matter what. He won't throw his son under the bus simply because that would mean admitting that any of this happened at all.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

So basically the Trump campaign was colluding with Russia. I mean between Jeff Sessions, Michael Flynn, and now his own son it's pretty cut and dry, right?

Nobody can possibly deny this, right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Burt Buckle posted:

Oh my sweet summer child

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Burt Buckle posted:

So basically the Trump campaign was colluding with Russia. I mean between Jeff Sessions, Michael Flynn, and now his own son it's pretty cut and dry, right?

30% of the U.S. population and no I'm not joking.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Burt Buckle posted:

I mean, is it really collusion if you're just showing up to hear what they have to say? He didn't use anything! He neither got nor used anything nor I mean did he really expect it probably, so I mean was it really collusion? Really really?

And look they were all behaving as private citizens while looking for info on Clinton and it was tooootaaaally unrelated to the campaign, okay? They're just real patriots who wanted to take down $hillary "Benghazi" Clinton.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TGLT posted:

I mean, is it really collusion if you're just showing up to hear what they have to say? He didn't use anything! He neither got nor used anything nor I mean did he really expect it probably, so I mean was it really collusion? Really really?

And look they were all behaving as private citizens while looking for info on Clinton and it was tooootaaaally unrelated to the campaign, okay? They're just real patriots who wanted to take down $hillary "Benghazi" Clinton.

It actually is illegal for campaign members to seek aid from foreign nationals

I know your being sarcastic

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

It actually is illegal for campaign members to seek aid from foreign nationals

I know your being sarcastic

Sure but that's one of three main lines of denial I can see. This isn't "really" collusion because, I mean, common sense, y'know? I mean what about that British guy? The other two being that maybe it was news about how Clinton was actually colluding with Russia, which I think I saw Fox running with, and Donny Jr and Manafort were acting as private citizens somehow.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/goldengateblond/status/884267164336766976

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Burt Buckle posted:

A third of the population either thinks there was no collusion or even if there was collusion that it's no big deal.

But if this doesn't at least matter in some way, then nothing will.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crows Turn Off posted:

A third of the population either thinks there was no collusion or even if there was collusion that it's no big deal.

But if this doesn't at least matter in some way, then nothing will.

Good thing you only need 2/3s to impeach

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Good thing you only need 2/3s to impeach
One third of the general population supports him, but nearly 100% of the Congressional Republicans do.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

please god

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Our allies in Russia were just helping Trump dig up the TRUTH about crooked Hillary!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

They did and their audience either doesn't care or full on supports it

Edit: oh... OHHHHHH :downs:

Second I posted that it dawned on me

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

And I thought blasting detainees with ear splitting music 24/7 was too horrific an abuse of human rights. Nobody deserves to be forced the company of Bannon.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Someone made an interesting post a few pages positing that electing trump may have "permanently" ruined the US's reputation on the world stage (the idea being that no matter how well we may manage to "fix things" we've proven that we're never more than one election away from electing a loving idiot).

I wonder what impact a successful impeachment would have on that. Would that redeem us at all?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Same Great Paste posted:

I wonder what impact a successful impeachment would have on that. Would that redeem us at all?

You'd need a whole new set of laws regarding government, instead of a giant pile of traditions that can be easily discarded.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/KayaJones/status/883857552806731776

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

This person is not by any stretch of the imagination well. It's really weird to watch the unique ways in which Trump identity branding exacerbates certain pathologies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nimby posted:

You'd need a whole new set of laws regarding government, instead of a giant pile of traditions that can be easily discarded.

Eh, just changing senior federal law enforcement so that the president cannot fire them would do a lot (allow removal via impeachment through congress instead). That and electoral college & gerrymandering reform would do a lot.

The reason this is all turning into an epochal crisis is that all the error correction mechanisms have failed due to political partisanship and structural biases in our system.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I can't even parse this

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can't even parse this

Oh good, I thought I was losing my mind

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

nimby posted:

It would be amazing if Trump's real only lasting legacy was dozens of new "the president can't be a a sack of poo poo" laws.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Aves Maria! posted:

Oh good, I thought I was losing my mind

I think the girl she tagged, TrumpGirlStrong, is supposed to be on Sean Hannity or something...? And that's why she's mentioning NYC, since TrumpGirlStrong is there and they were on the phone with each other.

Also 9/11?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Same Great Paste posted:

It would be amazing if Trump's real o let lasting legacy was dozens of new "the president can't be a a sack of poo poo" laws.

Didn't Georgia re-elect a GOP congressman who like beat and stalked his wife and had a girlfriend in Argentina? Like, all that stuff came out, and they still elected him?

"Sack of poo poo" is a non-issue for these people

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I find it amazing that Trump and co met with lawyers for an organization which at the time was under investigation for money laundering through real estate purchases (spoiler alert Manafort's houses) who attempted to have a federal witness killed by tossing him off a roof (he survived) and whose case was settled by the US government without acknowledgment of guilt or fault for 6m (way below the half billion they were charge with laundering) after Trump fired the DA charged with prosecuting the case, Preet Bharara. There's basically zero chance that there wasn't a quid pro quo somewhere in this whole mess; there's too many connections to be coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Same Great Paste posted:

Someone made an interesting post a few pages positing that electing trump may have "permanently" ruined the US's reputation on the world stage (the idea being that no matter how well we may manage to "fix things" we've proven that we're never more than one election away from electing a loving idiot).

when you hear about foreign countries impeaching/imprisoning/overthrowing their leaders does it make you think they're getting more stable?

• Locked thread