Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Black & white film. A tense scene where a woman waits in the car while, offscreen, her accomplice is committing a robbery.

This scene was discussed at some point in The Story of Film: An Odyssey, but I can't remember which episode (probably one of the ones dealing with New Wave cinema). Obviously I can eventually find it myself, but I'm hoping someone just knows it off the top of their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Rollersnake posted:

Black & white film. A tense scene where a woman waits in the car while, offscreen, her accomplice is committing a robbery.

This scene was discussed at some point in The Story of Film: An Odyssey, but I can't remember which episode (probably one of the ones dealing with New Wave cinema). Obviously I can eventually find it myself, but I'm hoping someone just knows it off the top of their head.

Gun Crazy, maybe?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rollersnake posted:

Complete list of all films in The Story of Film. I wish you had a better idea of which episode, I own TSOF and could look it straight up for you.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm reasonably sure it's the bank heist scene from Gun Crazy, and I couldn't find it before because I misremembered it as being a European New Wave film. Thanks!

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

anticake posted:

I had a vague memory earlier today. I'm pretty sure it was on Comedy Central in the daytime, but in the 90s when they were mostly running lovely poo poo you've never heard of from the 80s and 70s. Two dudes wind up at the same place, a theatre with a typical theatre name Orpheum, Orpheus, Odeon, pretty sure it started with an O anyway. The two dudes wound up there by figuring out some kind of series of clues. They used different solutions and somehow ended up in the same place. Then they found out that their whole system of solutions was completely hosed, but they happened to end up in the right place by pure chance. I want to say they were detectives, but that might be because they were following clues in a movie which seems to indicate detectives although it could just be a thriller I guess. Although it was on Comedy Central so it was, at least nominally, a comedy. A Thriller Comedy? Detective Comedy seems more likely.

From way back, but this turned out to be The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Younger Brother with Gene Wilder. Caught part of it channel surfing one of the local sub channels on the antenna by random chance.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It was a buck Rodgers/flash Gordon esque parody type film, all I really remember is at one point the Ming the Merciless guys wife starts macking on him and he shrugs her off saying the equivalent of "love with you would be like laying with my mother... And I hated that" .

Makes it very difficult to Google! I'm sure it isn't the one with Jon Lovitz, and I remember watching it with my parents on broadcast TV so I can't imagine its like, Flesh Gordon or whatever

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RentACop posted:

It was a buck Rodgers/flash Gordon esque parody type film, all I really remember is at one point the Ming the Merciless guys wife starts macking on him and he shrugs her off saying the equivalent of "love with you would be like laying with my mother... And I hated that" .

Makes it very difficult to Google! I'm sure it isn't the one with Jon Lovitz, and I remember watching it with my parents on broadcast TV so I can't imagine its like, Flesh Gordon or whatever

I can't remember a damned thing about the plot but it's probably Mom and Dad Save the World

E: I can't read, I thought you said you remembered Jon Lovitz in it. IGNORE ME

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rollersnake posted:

I'm reasonably sure it's the bank heist scene from Gun Crazy, and I couldn't find it before because I misremembered it as being a European New Wave film. Thanks!

I was thinking Elevator to the Gallows, although it doesn't quite fit.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Red posted:

Nope, I know that flick pretty well. The movie I'm thinking of featured the zombie-ish ambulance driver as a main character type, friend to the lead.

Any possibility it is zombie buddy cop movie Dead Heat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6IW1PunPQ

I don't recall you saying how much you'd seen of the movie, but if you were flipping through channels and this was on there is a definite possibility you saw a scene with a zombie ambulance driver as a main character type.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Red posted:

Nope, I know that flick pretty well. The movie I'm thinking of featured the zombie-ish ambulance driver as a main character type, friend to the lead.

Wait, wait! Maybe it's hit comedy-horror movie Idle Hands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si0uA9RBWT0

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I Remember catching a movie on TV when I was younger. It was either about an alien or parasite, but it infected a US solider or someone in a uniform, and want to pass on its seed. One scene I remember was the uniformed guy sitting down and calmly blowing his head off with a shotgun and then his head regenerating due to some power or what not.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fat_Cow posted:

I Remember catching a movie on TV when I was younger. It was either about an alien or parasite, but it infected a US solider or someone in a uniform, and want to pass on its seed. One scene I remember was the uniformed guy sitting down and calmly blowing his head off with a shotgun and then his head regenerating due to some power or what not.

Species II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxTyxT5z0hs

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Amazing; I just remember that scene in particular. I have no idea if the movie is even good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fat_Cow posted:

Amazing; I just remember that scene in particular. I have no idea if the movie is even good.

Same. The first one is surprisingly fun, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

morestuff posted:

Same. The first one is surprisingly fun, though.

It is, but it has an incredibly stupid scene where they're doing that thing where the song on the soundtrack during an interior shot of a driving scene is meant to be playing on the car radio. Cut to external shot when the car parks, song becomes louder when the door opens and stops when the ignition turns off - you know the one. Species does this cliche for cliche ... except the car is a convertible with the top down.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Fat_Cow posted:

The movie isn't bad but it's not as good as the bizarre combo that made the first so good. That said, even the DTV sequels have their moments which is surprising.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Which Chuck Norris movie is the one where he's left for dead in a pick-up truck in a pit but then hours later someone poors beer into the pit and this allows Chuck Norris to fully recover and drive out?

Did I mix this up with something similar that's not a Chuck Norris movie?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Which Chuck Norris movie is the one where he's left for dead in a pick-up truck in a pit but then hours later someone poors beer into the pit and this allows Chuck Norris to fully recover and drive out?

Did I mix this up with something similar that's not a Chuck Norris movie?

Lone Wolf McQuade - Chucky, having been shot and beat to poo poo, is stuck into his turbo'd Ramcharger and buried, wakes up, sucks down some warm-rear end beer, then wises fwom his gwave using the MIGHTY DODGE just in time to save a couple of his buddies that were about as hosed up.

Can't verify, but this should be that scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfLTbzU0FXo

Classic Chucky cheesefest from the early '80s. Goes good with Eye For An Eye and The Octagon, IMO.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Guy's a construction worker, I think he's John Turturro, there's a scene where he goes up to a house that's already framed out and takes his hammer out and breaks apart all the framing.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
An indie UK film from the late 1970s/80s:

It's filmed like a documentary and is a sort of oral history flick. Over a series of interviews, people talk about witnessing an event where individuals grow wings and turn into birds or angels and ascend to the heavens. All of the people interviewed have different takes on the event and no one understands what happened to the people who were chosen/evolved.

The movie is long- like, maybe three hours. It feels very much like a BBC program with sort of loud/obnoxious musical segues between interviews.

I think the guy who directed it has made a bunch of indie movies, but I don't know his other works.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

That angel thing sounds really cool.

Phanatic posted:

Guy's a construction worker, I think he's John Turturro, there's a scene where he goes up to a house that's already framed out and takes his hammer out and breaks apart all the framing.

Mac - there's a shot of it ~30 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76eYsm7EcME

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
Movie starts at a house in the middle of nowhere at night, lots of snow. Middle aged husband and wife are are going through a typical routine, have dinner, then get ready to go to bed. Husband breaks down and tearfully tells his wife she has to leave NOW, he's hired a hitman to kill her and it's too late to call it off. Wife escapes and the rest (that I vaguely remember) of the movie is her evading the hitman. At one point she shacks up with a young couple; the lady half of the couple is in a wheelchair, but later its revealed that she's actually not crippled and the couple has been lying to the wife about it the whole time. Time period is either late eighties or early nineties.

What the gently caress movie is this? I saw it like 20 years ago on tv and its been driving me nuts.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 30, 2017

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Fleetwood posted:

An indie UK film from the late 1970s/80s:

It's filmed like a documentary and is a sort of oral history flick. Over a series of interviews, people talk about witnessing an event where individuals grow wings and turn into birds or angels and ascend to the heavens. All of the people interviewed have different takes on the event and no one understands what happened to the people who were chosen/evolved.

The movie is long- like, maybe three hours. It feels very much like a BBC program with sort of loud/obnoxious musical segues between interviews.

I think the guy who directed it has made a bunch of indie movies, but I don't know his other works.

That's not quite what happens in the movie, but everything else about it is close enough that there's no way it's anything other than The Falls (Peter Greenaway, 1980).

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Fifth Element

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Pastry of the Year posted:

That's not quite what happens in the movie, but everything else about it is close enough that there's no way it's anything other than The Falls (Peter Greenaway, 1980).

Whoa! Thank you! It's been many years since I watched it, so I was dizzy on the premise.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Not a film per se but I think you guys would be good at figuring this out.

Is there a name for this sort of 70s not-quite psychedelic style and any suggestions for movies that use similar feel/style/effects?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHJFNRIamw

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Not a film per se but I think you guys would be good at figuring this out.

Is there a name for this sort of 70s not-quite psychedelic style and any suggestions for movies that use similar feel/style/effects?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHJFNRIamw

If you haven't seen House (1977) you should watch that right now.

E: Giallo isn't quite as psychadelic but some Argento stuff would probably be right up your alley too

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It also reminds me of the 1970 Dunwich Horror which liked to represent unknowable horror as a negative w/ a weird colour. And it's getting even further but it's always worth watching the old Vincent Price Roger Corman Poe movies for their extensive use of coloured lights, especially Masque of the Red Death.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You could give Beyond the Black Rainbow a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWF0bBKhe6o

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Some great recommendations above!

I'd also suggest looking at The Serpent and the Rainbow, Altered States, The Beyond, and The Visitor.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Cheers for the great recommendations, I have a good list to go through now!

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Era: mid-to-late '80s/early '90s - definitely pre-'97 and post-'85
Genre: Action/Cop
Rating: R for violence, language and (I think) nakedity

Something I caught on cable, but I don't believe it was direct-to-video. LA plainclothes cop/detective, apparently famous for shooting people/quickdrawing and shooting, is being hunted/stalked by some insane cowboy-rear end in a top hat, who's leaving a trail of dead cops as he heads to LA. (IIRC he might be collecting badges as trophies, but it's not that vampire movie.) rear end in a top hat is using a single-action revolver in a western gunbelt rig, if I remember right. Also IIRC, cop gets suspended somewhere along the way, but before rear end in a top hat arrives for the Final Showdown.

I want to says the lead looks like Michael Pare or similar, but it's not him according to IMDB. Well-dressed, rugged-looking guy, not a beef monster like Lundgren.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i have no idea what thats called but now i want to see it

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189340/

this sounds like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hMYaPqoN-c

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

BINGO! Now to wait until I'm off work...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A similar sort of set up would be the plot of Justified.

Edit: Similar in that some of those elements are there, though the actual plot is different. Great show, though.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
What Russian movie is this clip from?

http://ksyu1.tumblr.com/post/160034401084/aesthetic-of-truecrime-school-shooting-in

The page notes it's based on this school shooting but I can't find any evidence of a movie based on it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I think I recall a movie or TV Show where some guys are having a meeting, and when the meeting is done, the camera zooms out, revealing that the captain or whatever is sitting in a bathtub, or on the toilet or something. Is this from anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Angie tribeca?