Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qhat posted:

anyone who lists that many things on their competencies better be a loving google architect or else i'm just gonna assume they're an idiot hipster

most of them aren't even real things, not to mention the pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i'm the person that lists everything they have used at least once on their resume
but that list is short enough that i'm comfortable talking about any of it even though i may not have used it since college

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I've had interviewers ignore anything I haven't used in the last 3 months which ends up a super poo poo show if you are regularly working on projects with completely different technology. I mean drat I've been using Node and I definitely don't want a full-time position based on that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

1) a Robert Half recruiter fished me out of the suicidal hellpit that was being an Epic washout in 2008/2009, but they are generally loving uselessly far off base
2) recruiters don't seem to get what to do with a candidate that is not an interchangeable part from a <technology_x> machine, but neither do corporate HR departments
3) has anyone said "figgy pudding" yet

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
does anyone actually let companies install root kits on your computers for assessments? because lol that is not a thing that is going to be happening and I don't want to work at Facebook bad enough to burn half the day building out a vm.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

does anyone actually let companies install root kits on your computers for assessments? because lol that is not a thing that is going to be happening and I don't want to work at Facebook bad enough to burn half the day building out a vm.

cisco puts a bunch of shady stuff like jamf in the software you can get as an employee which is why we have things like ms office and anyconnect available internal to our org

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
we basically tell everyone "if you have to install software you get directly from cisco, please use a vm"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

leper khan posted:

pls explain

i have never heard of this poo poo

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pls explain

i remember (i think) someone posted screenshots of the warning screens before Amazon's online coding assessment but i wasnt able to find it.
it warned you that they keep track of your browser usage and running programs and your webcam/mic while you are taking the test.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

leper khan posted:

if i was an idiot looking to work at a garbage company i definitely would

so no

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

leper khan posted:

did they start doing that recently? i was actually thinking fb could be a feasible fallback if my current company goes to poo poo, but not if they're starting to go that route. lmao at handing out a timed exam like that.

rather than doing that, imo just ask for a small code sample (either new or existing) and if it looks reasonable follow up with a phonecall where they explain whatever design decisions/tradeoffs they made. its pretty easy to catch a bullshitter in this process

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pls explain

I was asked to do a timed 25 minute code exam for Facebook. prior to performing it, the proctoring website forces you to install something that monitors your network traffic and potentially reads memory.

I refused to install it and sent a mail to the recruiter to that effect.

not really sure what there is to explain.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

leper khan posted:

I was asked to do a timed 25 minute code exam for Facebook. prior to performing it, the proctoring website forces you to install something that monitors your network traffic and potentially reads memory.

I refused to install it and sent a mail to the recruiter to that effect.

not really sure what there is to explain.

being willing to install the software is the test

goondolences

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mishaq posted:

being willing to install the software is the test

goondolences

this except goongratulations

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I would unreservedly give the middle finger to anyone who demands i install software on a personal machine

any company who starts a business relationship with that kind of trust posture is not one that ever gets better once you get inside

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 10, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Progressive JPEG posted:

did they start doing that recently? i was actually thinking fb could be a feasible fallback if my current company goes to poo poo, but not if they're starting to go that route. lmao at handing out a timed exam like that.

rather than doing that, imo just ask for a small code sample (either new or existing) and if it looks reasonable follow up with a phonecall where they explain whatever design decisions/tradeoffs they made. its pretty easy to catch a bullshitter in this process

yeah but you can't automate bullshit detection soooo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

How many times has anyone here had to explain poo poo to an interviewer because they are dumb and apparently didn't know basic things about their own job, and still received a job offer?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qhat posted:

How many times has anyone here had to explain poo poo to an interviewer because they are dumb and apparently didn't know basic things about their own job, and still received a job offer?

let me guess: after you did this, everyone stood up and applauded

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
don't post my evangelion fanfic

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

qhat posted:

if a candidate taught me something new and wasn't an rear end about it that would be a strong point in their favor, since a significant part of the job is teaching other people things. although the way you phrased the question makes it sound like you may have been less than polite about it

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

qhat posted:

I have done that several times. never lead to an offer.

polite:less than polite ratio is probably 1:1.5. usually the less than polite version comes after they refuse the polite version. my favorite one of those involved pulling out my iPad, opening up the c++ standard, scrolling for ~30 seconds and sliding it to them asking (telling) them to read the section.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The least believable part of that is how you were able to connect your iPad to the internet during the interview

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

The least believable part of that is how you were able to connect your iPad to the internet during the interview

why would I need to do that?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

look at this poor with the wifi-only model

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

if they're enough of a pedant to pull out the c++ spec during an interview it's not a stretch to assume the spec was stored locally, it's not that big

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

why would you take a job if youre already impatiently lecturing coworkers about 101 poo poo before you start

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

power botton posted:

why would you take a job if youre already impatiently lecturing coworkers about 101 poo poo before you start

how you gonna lecture coworkers without a job

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

leper khan posted:

I have done that several times. never lead to an offer.

polite:less than polite ratio is probably 1:1.5. usually the less than polite version comes after they refuse the polite version. my favorite one of those involved pulling out my iPad, opening up the c++ standard, scrolling for ~30 seconds and sliding it to them asking (telling) them to read the section.

Pretty much this, it's definitely my experience that some interviewers, often junior ones, have precooked ideas about what the answers they're looking for and try to force the question in that direction. I had to explain why a linked list would be a terrible idea for storing small data types like chars on a stack because of the huge memory wastage of storing pointers, but they were convinced this wasn't so bad because you can always just do data[0] to the end of the structure, ignoring the fact that this still leaves the next pointer taking up 8x more space than the char. They also didn't seem to understand why pop methods in the STL don't return values. I'm always polite about it since that's the whole point of the interview, but ya I didn't get an offer either lol.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

minivanmegafun posted:

if they're enough of a pedant to pull out the c++ spec during an interview it's not a stretch to assume the spec was stored locally, it's not that big

to be fair I only pulled out the spec when he told me I was wrong in saying that structs were not more limited than classes. and refused to accept that he was confusing the notion of a POD type with a struct.

lol "tech" company "CTO"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i am so glad i no longer have to care about the dumpster fire that is c++

yeah coding in plain old c is tedious and painful but if the cure is c++ then i'll keep the disease

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

leper khan posted:

to be fair I only pulled out the spec when he told me I was wrong in saying that structs were not more limited than classes. and refused to accept that he was confusing the notion of a POD type with a struct.

lol "tech" company "CTO"

Sounds like he wasn't actually a C++ engineer and perhaps just an ITO grad or something. Not knowing the difference between a class and a struct (nothing iirc other than the default access modifier?) or even what a pod type is is pretty inexcusable if he was an engineer.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
c/c++ is so far outside my area of expertise but do people honestly care about stack pedantics and slight memory waste IRL, like my top three have always been maintainability, consistency, repeatability

code touching isn't my specialty i'm a :yayclod: but I can assure you we can likely throw more hardware at the problem for cheaper than it takes people to test and implement optimizations, with the exception of embedded poo poo and uh I guess video shames

people love to rabbit hole down super complex and clever solutions with intracately balanced b-trees or whatever the gently caress but I'm just like look read the whole damned thing into memory in an array, who gives a poo poo, like we can even deal with multi-billion endpoint graphs on one machine w/ some clever helper libs like mmap, we have the hardware, if the software has a 10 year lifespan machines are going to be 4 times as good by the end but your poo poo code is still going to be poo poo code that has to be maintained

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 10, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Bhodi posted:

c/c++ is so far outside my area of expertise but do people honestly care about stack pedantics and slight memory waste IRL, like my top three have always been maintainability, consistency, repeatability

code touching isn't my specialty i'm a :yayclod: but I can assure you we can likely throw more hardware at the problem for cheaper than it takes people to test and implement optimizations, with the exception of embedded poo poo and uh I guess video shames

c++ is especially hilarious because seemingly benign code will result in billions of copies being generated and hilarious numbers of cache misses

and if you're writing c++ then you're probably working in some domain where you actually have to care about that

so yes, people care. my favorite is when people needle you about minor pedantic things in interviews and you say it sounds implementation defined and then they go pale.

even in C#, I've gotten a 150-200x speed up in a library by rewriting a couple loops. Also reimplementing Array.Reverse because it was either boxing elements or otherwise not doing things in-place.

unity is the worst.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
c++ sounds bad you guys, why would you inflict that on yourself. and unity over unreal? double yikes. even our forum threads are filled with unity horror stories

sit behind a desk, sip some coffee, and hit the run button on an elaborately-crafted automation routine and watch all your servers spawn, activate and scuttle around like little drones, :feelsgood:

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 10, 2017

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bhodi posted:

people love to rabbit hole down super complex and clever solutions with intracately balanced b-trees or whatever the gently caress but I'm just like look read the whole damned thing into memory in an array, who gives a poo poo, like we can even deal with multi-billion endpoint graphs on one machine w/ some clever helper libs like mmap, we have the hardware, if the software has a 10 year lifespan machines are going to be 4 times as good by the end but your poo poo code is still going to be poo poo code that has to be maintained

Yes it's extremely important since the whole reason people write C code in the first place is to make some algorithm or toolkit as efficient as possible with close to zero overhead, and then perhaps even make a binding to it from other languages. If you don't care about efficiency then there's literally no point in using C at all and you may as well just implement everything in pure python or whatever.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Reasons to write C:

You don't want to write ASM.
You want speed.

Reasons to write C++:
You don't want to write C.
You want speed.
You like easier string handling.
You aren't writing kernel code.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

qhat posted:

They also didn't seem to understand why pop methods in the STL don't return values.

I don't know this and want to

vvv EDIT: I felt dumb posting this and went to snack overflow afterward, and they said that plus "copy constructors can throw exceptions"

I still wish they'd just provide the obvious pop_and_give() as part of the STL tho

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 10, 2017

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

LordSaturn posted:

I don't know this and want to

With pop that returns a value, you are forced to copy the popped value every time it is called since this is the only correct way to return a deleted value, however it's not efficient. Instead, you can just have people peek at the top of the structure using a reference and copy it if they need to. When you're designing a library that is designed to fit everyone's needs as best as it can, it's wise not to impose unnecessary overheads. Therefore, not having pop return a value is best because it's both efficient and correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
reasons to write c: you're writing something embedded and you don't want to have to drag in some 400MB bullshit runtime

also you don't want to spend half your time writing janky ffi wrappers

• Locked thread