Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I want tv that is a narration of the major plot points. I don't need so called entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Apple Craft posted:

So based off of the "last updated" date on the geocities site, are the events of Twin Peaks: The Return happening in 2015?

It's possible, considering that the original series took place in 1989. If so, it also means that the dossier in Secret History was researched by Tammy Preston after season 3.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
For some reason I found Matthew Lillard sobbing out 9/20 really funny.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
http://www.grantchronicles.com/mankinda.htm

gently caress I love David Lynch.

He's using Michio Kaku, which is like slapping me in the face with Art Bell.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

I found it ridiculous and endearing at the same time

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you're able to I really encourage you to watch the smoking scene again, David Lynch is acting up a storm in it. IMO it's 100% not wasted time
I don't think a second of The Return has been wasted time, but are you really trying to argue that certain scenes don't go on for longer than they need to? It's part of the atmosphere and I dig it but it's still definitely there.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't think a second of The Return has been wasted time, but are you really trying to argue that certain scenes don't go on for longer than they need to? It's part of the atmosphere and I dig it but it's still definitely there.

I think what they're getting at is: if it's there to elicit certain feelings/moods/atmosphere, and it does that successfully, then it's going on for the right amount of time.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Well that sure was Sky Ferreira scratching the shot out of her pits to end the episode. I wonder if she's connected to Balthazar Getty or the Horne boy somehow.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

It's possible, considering that the original series took place in 1989. If so, it also means that the dossier in Secret History was researched by Tammy Preston after season 3.

We knew that already, since the dossier and Tammy's research talks about the Log Lady being dead.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Jennifer Jason Leigh is looking good for her age

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Le Saboteur posted:

9/29, technically, since it's two days away from 10/1 when the note event is gonna happen.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Recently I had an experience that can only be explained by the existence of multiple dimensions. It was not a dream of any kind or anything I had experienced in the past. Without going into too much detail, I found myself present…physically present with a close friend who passed in some other ‘space’ or ‘dimension.’ He has been gone for several years but in this elsewhere where I found myself he existed in flesh form. I know this sounds impossible, but it happened, I swear. This has completely changed my concepts of ‘life’ and ‘consciousness

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I was high as poo poo during the sweeping scene, as I have been for this season since I promised myself to watch it correctly on the first run through. It went for so long I actually became concerned and when the phone rang I was like thank God.

Season so far has been fantastic. Highlights for me are Ben and Jerry, that last episode and Janey Jones.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Who loving decides how long scenes need to last? Nothing created by someone else has to conform by an idea in your mind

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lillard weeping about wanting to scuba dive legit upset me. I felt so bad for the dude.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

Well that sure was Sky Ferreira scratching the shot out of her pits to end the episode. I wonder if she's connected to Balthazar Getty or the Horne boy somehow.

She gave Richard scabies

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Yeah the scenes go on exactly long as the talented director and writer want them to. I'm loving the languid pacing of things happening in Twin Peaks proper. It ratchets up the other-worldliness by hanging for ages on day to day, seemingly boring things that TV doesn't normally do. It's the same sense you get when watching a whole song play at the bar. It feels wrong to see that on TV and that makes it great to watch.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Hansen85 posted:

We knew that already, since the dossier and Tammy's research talks about the Log Lady being dead.

I likely didn't remember that because I mentally swapped Catherine Coulson and Margaret Lanterman. I also remember people itt being confused that Tammy didn't act like she knew the things from the dossier, so that probably messed with my timeline as well.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Lillard weeping about wanting to scuba dive legit upset me. I felt so bad for the dude.

He was so close, in his mind at least, to living the perfect life with someone he loved and who shared his passion for the unknown.

Then she was murdered, he was framed, and his wife murdered in a way that implicated his lawyer. What a rough week.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Apple Craft posted:

http://www.grantchronicles.com/mankinda.htm

gently caress I love David Lynch.

He's using Michio Kaku, which is like slapping me in the face with Art Bell.

To be honest, a lot of this stuff seems more Frost than Lynch.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I forgot to mention two weeks ago that I happen to own the same radio that Put Frog-Roach girl to sleep.

It's a 1950 Sears Silvertone Model 1, made by Arvin, if anyone else is looking for one. Radios like these are known to collectors as "Metal Midgets" because they were small, cheap, and marketed as a radio for a kitchen or child's bedroom because the metal case was durable.
The one used in the show was modified with a handle, which may have been added by the prop department or someone in the past.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 10, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God that was good, 7 and 9 both progressed things a ton which is a nice bookend to the glorious lunacy of episode 8 (perhaps the best thing I've ever seen on television). I loved Cooper staring at the flag and quietly hearing the Star Spangled Banner in his head :patriot:

Couple of gifs of my favorite visual moments in the episode, linked so as not to slow anything down

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can't say I expected Twin Peaks to go into Stalker territory, but you know what I approve.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Roadside picnic also had a golden orb. What will coop do when he attains the orb?

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Jerusalem posted:

God that was good, 7 and 9 both progressed things a ton which is a nice bookend to the glorious lunacy of episode 8 (perhaps the best thing I've ever seen on television). I loved Cooper staring at the flag and quietly hearing the Star Spangled Banner in his head :patriot:

Couple of gifs of my favorite visual moments in the episode, linked so as not to slow anything down

I had a professor in college that asked me for a drag off my cigarette once after class. He was in his early 70s and had given up smoking shortly after getting his PHD at U Chicago in the late 60's. He was a sworn ex-smoker but encouraged me to smoke in his office during independent study meetings, just because he loved the smell and still dreamed about smoking 40 odd years later. I guess that day he finally broke down.
He acted JUST LIKE Gordon after taking a full drag on my Tareyton.
Considering that Lynch is a full on chain smoker that never tried to quit, he got that scene on lock.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 10, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The only bad thing about this episode is that I can't just watch the next one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Turdfuzz posted:

gross as it is its def somebodys fetish

i love the pits

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:vince:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I gotta say, it's really nice watching a show that's so confident. I've been bored by a few scene's here and there, and been worried about being bored by scenes here and there throughout, but god drat does Lynch deliver- and that confidence and trust really makes everything work so well.

I love every scene that goes on just slightly too long-- it reminds me of classic cinema and theater. Just lingering on full shots of the entire scene where you can linger on individual actions and their responses.

What a wonderful show.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The real mystery of twin peaks is how andy's anatomy works

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Attitude Indicator posted:

The real mystery of twin peaks is how andy's anatomy works

He is seriously hard to look at with that potbelly

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
The Lucy and Andy bit was the first genuinely bad scene this season but there's always gonna be one or two missteps. Good Ep otherwise!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Dougie was always a little retarded, but I felt insurance was his calling--a brain damaged boxer

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I want to imagine Dougie walked around and stared at stuff aimlessly for six years until Naomi brought him in from the rain

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another awesome ep but some of the exposition is a little clunky/a lot of it is stuff we already knew but the characters didn't so for us it's not really anything new.

Loved most of the character moments though. I'd totally watch a spinoff about the three cop brothers.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Escobarbarian posted:

Another awesome ep but some of the exposition is a little clunky/a lot of it is stuff we already knew but the characters didn't so for us it's not really anything new.

https://youtu.be/pE3ufg-6qOA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I groaned when Cole started a sentence with "As you know..."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I too was so sure mini-Diesel was going to butcher those cops :(

We're now past the half-way point, and this ep only had a couple of minutes of Dougie in it. Coop isn't coming back any time soon!

One of the symbols on Major Briggs's note was also in that ace of spades earlier, I'm afraid bad things are about to go down in Jack Rabbit's palace :ohdear:

nopants posted:

Roadside picnic also had a golden orb. What will coop do when he attains the orb?

:orb:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ugh, Tammy's actress is really not good. It wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't paired with the strongest actors in the show all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ugh, Tammy's actress is really not good. It wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't paired with the strongest actors in the show all the time.

What are you talking about, those hips don't lie (that's her only move)