Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The phrase "single player MMO" gives me Dragon Age Inquisition PTSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, I meant like a standard MMO, just assuming FF11 isn't the touch point for most people when they're calling something a "single player MMO" like eg Xenoblade. If it is like anything it would be most like FF11 just because that game is also very much derivative of classic FF in the same ways, although 12's ATB roots are a little more exposed imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

Main problem is that there a lot of people and most of them are grouped up in 2s or 3s.

(But I still have issues taking out 3 person outposts completely unnoticed).

Dont try for headshots with the tranq gun, pop them all in the arm or chest with it and wait. None of them will get past "hey, what's wron-zzzzz" once it starts taking effect.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
According to Horizon's stats page I am 41% done with the game. Good heavens this is getting more fun as I get better accustomed to the abilities and control scheme. I also feel like the characters are some of the best written in any modern game. Aloy is such an incredibly strong lead, and doubly so for a female character. She has a clear goal, personality, motivation and attitude. It's so refreshing to have the first and flipping amazing to have the second part!

I just did the mission where I helped Erend and Sun King Avad keep meridian safe and I am a little sad that I think this will be the last I interact with Erend. He said he was off to his old home. I really enjoyed his and Aloy's talks and adventure.

Now I am on the hunting lodge trials/trophies fun :D I totally want to show up all those 'nobles'.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
MGSV has some of the best mechanics ever but the game should have been half as long, it has far too much filler missions and does get pretty repetitive.

veni veni veni posted:

Switch is a mid cycle update out of nowhere with one of the worst launch lineups ever.

It's not really a mid-cycle update at all, it's a successor to the 3DS, in a market where Nintendo have zero competition (Vita?) - the fact you can plug it into a TV is a bonus. The Switch is more powerful than the PS3 and the 360, which is kinda amazing for a handheld that's a fraction of the size.

It isn't going to compete with PS4 but it was never meant to.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MZ posted:

The Switch is more powerful than the PS3 and the 360, which is kinda amazing for a handheld that's a fraction of the size.

12 years old consoles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VideoGames posted:

According to Horizon's stats page I am 41% done with the game. Good heavens this is getting more fun as I get better accustomed to the abilities and control scheme. I also feel like the characters are some of the best written in any modern game. Aloy is such an incredibly strong lead, and doubly so for a female character. She has a clear goal, personality, motivation and attitude. It's so refreshing to have the first and flipping amazing to have the second part!

I just did the mission where I helped Erend and Sun King Avad keep meridian safe and I am a little sad that I think this will be the last I interact with Erend. He said he was off to his old home. I really enjoyed his and Aloy's talks and adventure.

Now I am on the hunting lodge trials/trophies fun :D I totally want to show up all those 'nobles'.

Erend is a loyal friend and you have not seen the last of him or his powerful mutton chops!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MZ posted:

The Switch is more powerful than the PS3 and the 360, which is kinda amazing for a handheld that's a fraction of the size.

Not really

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Holy poo poo you guys, my Super Nintendo is BLOWING AWAY the graphics on my old Calecovision and it barely has any wood paneling!

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MZ posted:

Aren't most flagship cell phones of the last couple of years more powerful than the PS3/360? Because they're even smaller than the Switch, as if that's some great metric of success.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Lessail posted:

Getting platinum trophies for Crash 2 and 3 before going back to 1 may have been a mistake. The margin of error for gold relics feels so drat tight after the dash boot + slide jump in the later two.

Playstation 4: Play the Crash Bandicoot games in order.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Erend is a loyal friend and you have not seen the last of him or his powerful mutton chops!

Heck yes!!! This makes me very happy :D I love the way he talks and how he feels like a true friend to Aloy. I really want to be posting in the actual Horizon thread but I also don't want to be spoiled by anything, so I am biding my time until I complete this incredible game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cultural Marxist posted:

Aren't most flagship cell phones of the last couple of years more powerful than the PS3/360? Because they're even smaller than the Switch, as if that's some great metric of success.

Nah the metric of success is the Switch being one of the fastest selling consoles ever

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sometimes I think of getting a Switch but I keep hearing about small but annoying hardware problems it has and wondering if some hardware revision soon is going to sweep them all away.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah the metric of success is the Switch being one of the fastest selling consoles ever

Fast sales does not mean good overall sales.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah much like other fast selling consoles such as PS2, 360, Wii, PS4

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sometimes I think of getting a Switch but I keep hearing about small but annoying hardware problems it has and wondering if some hardware revision soon is going to sweep them all away.

It's inevitable. It'll be the chassis itself recoloured by then, so that people make themselves reasons to buy new Switch units all "omggg and i just finished paying off all the joycons".

Wendell
May 11, 2003

please stop giving Brosephine ways to skirt his Switch thread ban.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cultural Marxist posted:

I am not a expert but...

This is hard to say because comparing CPU's is sometimes comparing apples and oranges. Even more because the Cell is very special.

Benchmarks will make one side win, if that side is optimized for the type of task the CPU is optimized to and/or the size of internal caches.

Somebody did a battery of benchmarks of different types.
http://web.archive.org/web/20100429043925/http://www.geekpatrol.ca:80/2006/11/playstation-3-performance/

They kind of found the Cell is about a powerfull a processor with a single core 1.63 GHz cpu.

Modern smarphones have CPU's with >2.4 GHz and multiple cores. The PS3 is made with 90nm technology, and modern smartphones uses 16nm technology. PS3 are made with retrotechnology that is behind about x5 times. You can say this and you can extract whatever conclusion you want, but a good friend opinion would be that a PS3 is five times less powerfull than a iPhone 6.

Bonus comment on why comparing CPUs is somewhat a non-sense:
This bird fly better than I fly, but swim worse than this fish, the fish swim better than I do, but I can win against the fish in tekken.

Caveat emptor:
I did all this with some quick-searchs in google, and I am not a expert. Don't blame me for answering, blame yourself for asking.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 10, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wendell posted:

Hopefully we can all talk about FF12 tomorrow

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I will.

Maybe, if the shrink wrapping doesn't keep me from playing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I think the average cell phone or tablet is probably more powerful than the switch, but is designed for short bursts of power instead of sustained 3D games. Like the iPad gets too hot to hold if you try to play a game on it, while the switch has a little quiet fan and never gets too hot.

The games look better than last gen consoles and it's super fun to play!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's amazing how quickly I stopped caring about Nintendo as the Wii started winding down.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have both a PS4 and a Switch and enjoy them both.

I need the Switch to play the new Mario and the PS4 to play the new Knack

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have both a PS4 and a Switch and enjoy them both.

Also:

Wendell posted:

He's being quite sly with it. Brosephine, this is the place for the PS4 chat. If you really need to speak about the Switch then go to the General Chat thread.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have both a PS4 Pro and a Switch and enjoy them both.
Same here. Great systems.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't commented on it in like three pages lol.

Excited for FF12. Always read back in the days how good it was I just never had the money for it

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

VideoGames posted:

Heck yes!!! This makes me very happy :D I love the way he talks and how he feels like a true friend to Aloy. I really want to be posting in the actual Horizon thread but I also don't want to be spoiled by anything, so I am biding my time until I complete this incredible game.

While you're running around doing stuff, hunt down the "stand in X location" collectables, those are pretty cool. The rest are meh, and the reward for all of those is lacking (literally random loot chests).

Make sure to try to do a bunch of the side quests, there are like 4 or 5 Major ones that pay off in the end, Erend and the hunting lodge are two of them. I'm trying not to spoil anything, but one you probably haven't run into yet, and the other is one you should have done before you met Erend. If you know what I mean when I say "Stadium," you should be good.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Horizon Zero Dawn released a new difficulty. I came close to playing it over the weekend. But Metal Gear Online 2 and crash bandicoot won.
is it recommended to start a fresh game on the new difficulty? or is it bullshit hard?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Housh posted:

Same here. Great systems.

Same. Between the Pro and the Switch, pretty much every game of interest will be available to me in some form or another.

I am super hype for Mario Odyssey (Oct) and Yakuza Kiwami (Aug). This has been an awesome year to be a gamer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

White PS4 Pro Slim announced.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

White PS4 Pro Slim announced.

Was just about to link this. Looks nice!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sefal posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn released a new difficulty. I came close to playing it over the weekend. But Metal Gear Online 2 and crash bandicoot won.
is it recommended to start a fresh game on the new difficulty? or is it bullshit hard?

IMHO Very Hard is a fair and well-balanced starting difficulty for Horizon, but ultra-hard assumes that you already know the best ways of taking down each type of machine and would be rough going in blind without any gear, assuming it even lets you select Ultra without beating the game once. If you're good at the new Tomb Raiders then HZD will feel very similar mechanically.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

It's just a Pro? Is it slimmer?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Anora posted:

While you're running around doing stuff, hunt down the "stand in X location" collectables, those are pretty cool. The rest are meh, and the reward for all of those is lacking (literally random loot chests).

Make sure to try to do a bunch of the side quests, there are like 4 or 5 Major ones that pay off in the end, Erend and the hunting lodge are two of them. I'm trying not to spoil anything, but one you probably haven't run into yet, and the other is one you should have done before you met Erend. If you know what I mean when I say "Stadium," you should be good.

I have no idea what Stadium means I'm afraid. I'm not sure what I've really done, it's all been so fluid.

I've done the Olin stuff, the Ersa mission, I've done a few corrupted zones, one cauldron, four tallnecks, three blazing suns from the very first lodge, got the main quest up to the part where I have to visit Maker's end and now I am running about with my new sling doing the tutorial quests for some XP. I'm level 32 at the moment. I'd like to find another power cell for the ruins I discovered where some special thing is locked away. I put one in there though!

I'd actually love to see more underground ruins and I'm surprised I've only seen the one from the prologue and the one with that level 25 quest in it. Unless they're not marked on the map and I have to go and scour the landscape.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Doing more main storyline quests will take you through plenty of underground ruins.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

I have no idea what Stadium means I'm afraid. I'm not sure what I've really done, it's all been so fluid.

I've done the Olin stuff, the Ersa mission, I've done a few corrupted zones, one cauldron, four tallnecks, three blazing suns from the very first lodge, got the main quest up to the part where I have to visit Maker's end and now I am running about with my new sling doing the tutorial quests for some XP. I'm level 32 at the moment. I'd like to find another power cell for the ruins I discovered where some special thing is locked away. I put one in there though!

I'd actually love to see more underground ruins and I'm surprised I've only seen the one from the prologue and the one with that level 25 quest in it. Unless they're not marked on the map and I have to go and scour the landscape.

Ruins are all part of the main quest line, you get led to them and can't get in before that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Is there really no way to play Metal Gear 4 without breaking out my old chugging ps3?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hahah, so I've been too slow! Got it. In that case, awesome!
I am probably going to be glued to my PS4 tonight doing even more Horizoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Seedge posted:

It's just a Pro? Is it slimmer?

Yes. No.