Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AgentF posted:

Maybe Occulus is ditching stock before a sales injunction lands.

I find that highly unlikely. I'd go for D1E's theory, or maybe they're trying to old console bait and switch trick with cheap hardware but expensive games :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I have a hunch that Oculus want to get out of the PC peripheral space as quickly as possible. It hasn't been a particularly successful venture for them and that their competitor has managed to outsell them despite the Oculus name having far more brand recognition, having a cheaper product and a wealth of high quality "exclusive" games is frankly embarrassing.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

I find that highly unlikely. I'd go for D1E's theory, or maybe they're trying to old console bait and switch trick with cheap hardware but expensive games :v:

I doubt it, oculus has said before that a new rift isn't close.

An injunction isn't very likely either, more probably they'll solve it with money if it comes to that.

I think this is more about that locking people into their software isn't that great of a business model if you have the arguably inferior product as a minority on a tiny market.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Man, I thought the $600 I paid for Rift + Touch + a $150 Best Buy gift card was a good deal, but this is crazy to get the same hardware plus EVE Valkyrie for $400 less than 2 weeks later.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 10, 2017

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

SwissCM posted:

I have a hunch that Oculus want to get out of the PC peripheral space as quickly as possible. It hasn't been a particularly successful venture for them and that their competitor has managed to outsell them despite the Oculus name having far more brand recognition, having a cheaper product and a wealth of high quality "exclusive" games is frankly embarrassing.

They said time and time again they see VR as a long tem project. The reality of the sales numbers certainly fell beyond expectations, but I doubt anyone expected Gen1 to end up in everyone's home. Seems more like taking a hit to make up market share.

Also, as a tech nerd paying premium is something I can live with, but 700 Euro to 450 Euro if I just had waited 6 weeks stings quite a bit.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

GhostDog posted:

They said time and time again they see VR as a long tem project. The reality of the sales numbers certainly fell beyond expectations, but I doubt anyone expected Gen1 to end up in everyone's home. Seems more like taking a hit to make up market share.

Also, as a tech nerd paying premium is something I can live with, but 700 Euro to 450 Euro if I just had waited 6 weeks stings quite a bit.

They absolutely see VR as a long term project. The question is whether they see PC VR as being part of that long term project, and I'm pretty sure they don't. As soon as they have an even moderately competitive standalone product I think we'll start hearing "I don't think anyone really cares about tethered VR" in interviews pdq.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

GhostDog posted:

VR, sure. But the Rift? Less likely. Launching a standalone headset where they have complete control over the software ecosystem better fits what they're trying to achieve in terms of data aggregation.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissCM posted:

VR, sure. But the Rift? Less likely. Launching a standalone headset where they have complete control over the software ecosystem better fits what they're trying to achieve in terms of data aggregation.

I'm sure that's the eventual end goal but the technology doesn't exist to get there yet without a significant downgrade to the experience. Not sure they would want to walk that back.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Walrus posted:

I'm sure that's the eventual end goal but the technology doesn't exist to get there yet without a significant downgrade to the experience. Not sure they would want to walk that back.

Foveated rendering on next gen mobile devices might be enough to get roughly equivalent performance and quality to current gen PC VR, the problem is that every other technology giant is working on this too.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Walrus posted:

As long as they can get 90fps and reliable tracking - admittedly still tough goals for a standalone headset - I think they'd be willing to push a product with significantly lower visual quality. GearVR is still the device of choice for demoing to any non-games markets, in spite of being worse than the Rift in almost every way.

Tracked controllers would be the biggest stumbling block, but if they sell them separately again they could potentially move more of the tracking work into the controllers and charge a higher price for them so the headset alone still looks competitive.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

AgentF posted:

Maybe Occulus is ditching stock before a sales injunction lands.

Who knows. I think a sales injunction is unlikely though.

Either way I think this price drop is good news because we need more people adopting VR.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

NRVNQSR posted:

They absolutely see VR as a long term project. The question is whether they see PC VR as being part of that long term project, and I'm pretty sure they don't. As soon as they have an even moderately competitive standalone product I think we'll start hearing "I don't think anyone really cares about tethered VR" in interviews pdq.

I see. I guess in my head VR and PC VR are still the same thing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...I might have to pick one up instead of the Vive...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly if HTC don't repair my out of warranty, broken for the third time controller, for free - I will be seriously considering selling the Vive and jumping ship to Oculus.

edit: assuming I'd be paying 200 bucks for knuckles when they come out that would bring the effective cost of the Oculus to 200 bucks. Sell the vive and its cost positive. Very tempting. We'll see how HTC handles the repair I guess.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 10, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySrkhXb3QDo

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Look, I loving hate social media. I don't have a Facebook account and never will. But I bought the Oculus Rift after serious comparison against the Vive. Touch is better than the Vive wands. The Rift headset is more comfortable and lighter. Resolution is essentially identical. At the current price the decision is a no-brainer.

FYI: GORN is now available on Steam for Early Access purchase at $14.99 introductory price.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I broke one of my controllers while playing Gorn, I had to open it up and reattach a ribbon cable to fix it.

It is a good game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, Oculus does a hardware sale that should help get more people into VR, and people still can't help but console warrior about it. Affordable VR is a good thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fredrik1 posted:

I doubt it, oculus has said before that a new rift isn't close.

A new rift probably not, but an updated version might be. Like that vive update that made it lighter.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

One of my brothers who was on the fence about buying in first gen, but was leaning towards picking up a Vive, jumped on the Rift + Touch combo with zero hesitation after the price drop.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Literally all the damage to my Vive and the wall near my play area have been from Gorn. There's a decent amount of plaster embedded in the controller cracks and I've had to reseat the plastic a few times. And they still work 100%

Also really glad the super Alpha builds he gave out seem to have transferred over to the full release. Less so that I'm still stuck with a 1.5x2m space, but 2m squared is very much required (see previous paragraph)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, Oculus does a hardware sale that should help get more people into VR, and people still can't help but console warrior about it. Affordable VR is a good thing.

Yes but when are we getting ObamaRifts *rimshot*

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cojawfee posted:

People here aren't getting console warrior about it, they're talking about why they're doing the sale and links to the lawsuit and potentially Oculus' interest in other fields of VR. You're the only one bringing it up.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Enos Cabell posted:

One of my brothers who was on the fence about buying in first gen, but was leaning towards picking up a Vive, jumped on the Rift + Touch combo with zero hesitation after the price drop.

There are good arguments to be made in favor of each headset, though it's tougher to argue that the Vive is 2x better than the Rift + Touch for 2x the price at this point.

I bought both during Summer Sale 1.0 two weeks ago and had a difficult time deciding which to keep as each one has relative advantages vs. the other.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have a rift and I buy literally everything on the steam store because I'm confident it will be the place to launch games regardless of what headsets I buy in the next decade.

Speaking of steamvr, is there any way to get those default "last played" and friends list panels within the default environment into others? The house isn't really my thing but I would really like having options on the wall to click.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

iceaim posted:

Calm down you total spaz. Your smarmy personality is really going to charm more people into entering the wonderful world of vr. :v:

Anyway yeah I wouldn't call Battlezone photo realistic. It has its own cool art style and I like it. I own it too. Different vr games have different art styles. But 90s era FPS is a type of retro art style. Some people love it, so people hate it. You hate it. I get it. I can't convince you otherwise, but I personally enjoy playing such a game in VR. When I was a teenager during the Doom era it was the first wave of the VR craze which of course fell short of expectations, but my teenage self imagined it in the way that I experienced Quell 4D and that felt amazing. Hell and I wouldn't mind a VR game with 90 degree walls plus flat sprites in it Wolf 3D style either. Doom even has a Wolf 3D TC so I can actually play that in vr.

Nonono, don't misunderstand iceaim. I love retro art style. I post in the retrogames and old school fps threads regularly... and you do not. I love making Doom maps to this day, and still play cacowards wads. I love duke nukem. I love all kinds of old school FPS and I grew up on that aesthetic and am massively nostalgic for it.

Do not assume.

I love and live for the retro aesthetic. However, like we already discussed, you can achieve that look without having flat sprites in a VR world that artificially rotate! You can simply have sprite textures on low poly models, you can use voxels, you can use the sprite art on the wall textures and even maybe some small particles, but that doesn't mean that because I don't like sprites in VR that means I hate the "retro art style"

iceaim posted:

Some people love it, so people hate it. You hate it. I get it.

No, no you don't. You're not even trying to.

iceaim posted:

Also Quake can work in VR. There's the two Quake ports, plus there's a Quake 3 clone called Protonwar on the Vive. Protonwar also supports monitors, and both monitor and VR users can play together. Anyway I had no nausea issues with Protonwar, though again I realize that everyone is different. Even though it works for me, I do agree that it may not work for you and it may not have mainstream appeal. At the moment I play Protonwar with people on my friends list who also own the game.

Of course Quake can render in VR. You're completely misunderstanding the point I was making dude. I don't know what words to use to explain it to you, but yes, you can play Quake in VR. I've done it. That's the point. I'm speaking from experience. And like I already explained, its really really cool walking around in old school environments like Quake that were never made for VR, but still work in VR. You can do that and its great. But the core gameplay of Quake and Quake 3 is way too fast for VR, its not a comfortable fit.

Valve themselves recognized this and its why TF2 no longer has VR support. They absolutely can render TF2 in VR, but it "doesn't work". Its not a good design fit.

I love how you start off all "zaphod you're totally wrong you total spaz!" and then you're forced to end with "well maybe some people find this uncomfortable, that's fair, I guess" what was the point of any of this?

Compare to this:

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1XQzMRgfLo

This looks pretty great.

And see, this is what I mean, you can get the retro aesthetic completely from the pixel art style and the color palette. The enemies are still fully 3D, just kinda blocky and with low-res textures.

A couple things are flat but very few, used tastefully. Like the map, which makes sense, and the bullet sprites, which are fine because they're small and move fast. I could def get into this.

This is retro and also comfortable in VR. Get it?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 10, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Grabbed GORN on Early Access, I haven't been part of the closed beta so I knew some things had improved but didn't know what.

Presentation's come on leaps and bounds, I love the dungeon UI, but man there doesn't seem to be a difficulty ramp at all - more like a vertical cliff. I think they've had a bit too much time with experienced GORNers playing the beta because for someone who hasn't played in a while, they throw quite a lot of you to still be on the "two strikes and you're out" health system, especially when you have to unlock most of the equipment. I've learned to be a lot more active with dodging rather than standing and parrying everything.

Speaking of parrying, I love the new slomo you get on a successful parry. It lets you do some amazing moves, nothing like blocking a sword and then immediately lopping off their weapon arm in the next second, or turning and dealing with someone else entirely in one swift strike before facing them again. The eyes popping out and dangling is a horrible but hilarious touch as well.

They'd be a lot better served with a good armswinger locomotion rather than this awkward dragging style, but to be honest I thought locomotion wasn't really a necessary addition to this game anyway. No biggie, I've adapted to it.

E: This sounds pretty critical but I'm still in love with this game and can't wait to unlock all the poo poo so I can just slaughter the way I want

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 10, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Welp, I did it. That $400 bundle price got me. I skipped over the Rift and Vive back when they were in the 700/800 dollar range because at that point I didn't even have a VR-Ready PC either, so I stuck with the PSVR last fall. That's been fun, but I felt limited since I don't have access to all the interesting experimental stuff on PC. Sony's walled-garden approach made me feel like I was missing out on many non-game experiences on VR.

Fast-foward 8 months or so and I have a new fancy gaming PC, so how could I possibly resist a complete motion-compatible system for $400?

I hope I made an okay decision...?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Next month the Windows mixed reality headsets hit at a $300 price point, $399 for an Acer headset with touch controllers. That's why Oculus is now $399

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JazzFlight posted:

I hope I made an okay decision...?

-Sairento
-H3VR
-GORN
-Dirt Rally
-House of the Dying Sun

So, yeah, you made an excellent one

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If any Vive owners reading this happen to have a 3D printer capable of printing flexibles, I have something to help protect your controllers from the ravages of GORN:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2381512

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I know there's the main fight between Vive and Oculus, but do you really feel like a second-class citizen with Oculus + Touch on Steam? Have developers (who don't have exclusivity deals) been rather good about supporting both?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Taintrunner posted:

-Sairento
-H3VR
-GORN
-Dirt Rally
-House of the Dying Sun

So, yeah, you made an excellent one

Some MP games to add to the list

Onward
Echo Arena
Bridge Crew (haven't played myself)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dehry posted:

Next month the Windows mixed reality headsets hit at a $300 price point, $399 for an Acer headset with touch controllers. That's why Oculus is now $399

I'm surprised I haven't seen more about these recently, to be honest. None of them look amazing, but they do have some unique aspects that might make them good choices for some consumers. Like, I believe the Acer headset has a welder's helmet-style strap and markerless inside-out tracking? Both of those would be big pluses for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JazzFlight posted:

I know there's the main fight between Vive and Oculus, but do you really feel like a second-class citizen with Oculus + Touch on Steam? Have developers (who don't have exclusivity deals) been rather good about supporting both?

Yeah I was gonna say, seems like most things support VIVE well for roomscale stuff, and then if they're Oculus only then you can use ReVIVE which works really well and has active development.

Is there a Viveulous for running vive-only apps on Rift? :cheeky:

Also how is touch for full on roomscale, can you walk around and everything without any issues?

I pre-ordered an Oculus the very morning that they went on sale, but as of the end of May they still hadn't sent me one so I cancelled my order and got a VIVE instead, which shipped promptly. Haven't looked back since, so I'm curious how it ended up.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

JazzFlight posted:

I've never had any issues on Steam, Rift Vs Vive is essentially Good Thing Vs Good Thing - Any debate about which is best is about minutia at most.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also how is touch for full on roomscale, can you walk around and everything without any issues?

In my play area with 3 sensors I've never had a problem, walking around the deck of my space chariot in Elite never gets old :v:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

Even the titles which don't even list support for Oculus Rift typically work just fine with it.

Example: FORM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/408520/FORM/

In most cases the developer just doesn't own a Rift and is hesitant about flagging their title as fully supporting it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

D1E posted:

In most cases the developer just doesn't own a Rift and is hesitant about flagging their title as fully supporting it.

Or they're Ubisoft and they want whales who own both headsets to buy their game twice.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Another two friends just announced they are picking up a Rift combo this week. I think $399 is the price where a ton of the fence-sitters are going to hop in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I got suckered in too. I figure I can always sell it off for most of that $400 if I hate it. I really just want to play rick and morty...stupid lack of impulse control!