Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Yeah, I went against a R/W aggro deck that was just nasty. Turn 5 Samut swing wide for lethal both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Procrastinator posted:

Man I don't really believe that you opened 0 embalm or eternalize cards.

Not that you'd play annointed procession anyway, but nitpicking is the lifeblood of this thread.

I'd believe it. I opened 0 embalm and 1 eternalize and I'm not even sure if that was from my box or a bonus pack (it was W which I wasn't running)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also I was destroyed by Jackie Lee spellslinginga ug 2/2 exerts, 3/3 for 3 beaters, and infinite unsummons tempo deck. She seemed at a good place at wotc these days, which is great.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
There are only 9 eternalize cards plus one that can search for them and one that sort of makes everything eternalize.

Small sets are stupid.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also I was destroyed by Jackie Lee spellslinginga ug 2/2 exerts, 3/3 for 3 beaters, and infinite unsummons tempo deck. She seemed at a good place at wotc these days, which is great.

Where are you playing now that Greenlake Games is gone?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nowhere :sigh: . A bit at work, a bit online​. My team mostly dissolved because pptqs are such poo poo. It's a shame, there's nowhere around that's competitive like that and full of solid players striving to get better. Though business wise, they certainly deserved to go.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
What happens if Mirage Mirror is a creature and gets a -1/-1? Does it just stay on the artifact and apply to the next creature it turns into?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

What happens if Mirage Mirror is a creature and gets a -1/-1? Does it just stay on the artifact and apply to the next creature it turns into?

Yes

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

bigperm posted:

Yeah, I went against a R/W aggro deck that was just nasty. Turn 5 Samut swing wide for lethal both games.

My friend swung for ten with a sacred cat for the win in turns thanks to the green eternalize guy and samut doublestrike.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

That's what I figured. The mirror did some good work for me. I won once by copying my opponents god and used it twice to trade off with that red 5/4 afflict 3 creature. It feels good having my opponent cast it then on my turn I copy it, force him to defend and he takes the afflict damage.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

bigperm posted:

There are only 9 eternalize cards plus one that can search for them and one that sort of makes everything eternalize.

Small sets are stupid.

Agreed, but it's also stupid that they don't revisit mechanics more often.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Nowhere :sigh: . A bit at work, a bit online​. My team mostly dissolved because pptqs are such poo poo. It's a shame, there's nowhere around that's competitive like that and full of solid players striving to get better. Though business wise, they certainly deserved to go.

GLG's business practices and mainly their buying / selling practices really needed to get them the axe. Their pre-releases and releases always attracted good players though. Were you on that team that CML was on or a different one? I can't remember any of the teams anymore as I haven't seen any of them around

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Is there any reason they don't allow stores to have the prerelease as FNM? You'd get so many more people to show up and play and you could be done by like midnight-1pm vs. 5 or 6 am

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/695164#paper

:drat:

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Played in a tiny prerelease with 9 people at a new store near here. Promo was Mirage Mirror, and pulled Glorybringer and Heart-Piercer Manticore from my two Amonkhet packs. Went into green as my second color for Bitterbow Sharpshooters, Rhonas's Last Stand, 2x Rhonas's Stalwart, and 2x Hooded Brawler. I think I used the Manticore to fling an exerted Stalwart two or three times to blow away annoying 3 toughness creatures. Never got to use Mirror on Glorybringer. :(

Didn't lose a game and used my drink ticket on a bootleg frappuccino. I'm slightly worried that the place might be too nice to succeed, and the only places to play FNM in the city will continue to be armpit caves.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Dehtraen posted:

GLG's business practices and mainly their buying / selling practices really needed to get them the axe. Their pre-releases and releases always attracted good players though. Were you on that team that CML was on or a different one? I can't remember any of the teams anymore as I haven't seen any of them around

Yeah legendstech, with the orange shirts/hoodies. We still have our tumblr in extremely poor taste, and some folks went to GP Vegas and things like eternal weekend. But no one is gunning for the PT. The loss of scg and local ptqs hurt a lot. Also I think we just grew up. Trying to get on the pro tour is objectively a miserable experience and even if you make it you need superteam support, everyone is cliquey and lame, and you'd be more successful working minimum wage somewhere so why bother. So we cube and drink and do prereleases and make fun of bad streamers now.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah legendstech, with the orange shirts/hoodies. We still have our tumblr in extremely poor taste, and some folks went to GP Vegas and things like eternal weekend. But no one is gunning for the PT. The loss of scg and local ptqs hurt a lot. Also I think we just grew up. Trying to get on the pro tour is objectively a miserable experience and even if you make it you need superteam support, everyone is cliquey and lame, and you'd be more successful working minimum wage somewhere so why bother. So we cube and drink and do prereleases and make fun of bad streamers now.

That's it - legendstech. I hear ya 100% - two of the guys that are regularly at FNM down south are trying to get people to start pptq-ing with them and put together a team of some sort. One of them I could see doing well as he has had on stream feature matches at GPs and is a level headed, good player while the other is easily the most tilt-able player and has done snap concede / drop from tournament moves at FNM when things don't go his way. I'm just like - I'll help you practice but I have zero desire to get on the protour and mtg tournaments get jack poo poo for prizes for how much effort / energy is required with all the luck needed.

Cubing & drinking though - that's something I can get behind

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Went 3-0 at the prerelease with some good ol beefy RG boys.

And here's the rest of the pool.

Didn't play Endless Sands because my mana was stressed with the white splash, but did bring it in when I sided out the white one match because opponent had his own Endless Sands and it makes Desert's Hold very embarrassing.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Lone Goat posted:

Removal looks drat good, no surprise you did well.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lone Goat posted:

Nice deck! Ambuscade and puncturing blow are slick

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

goferchan posted:

Back when Overwatch came out he'd do a perfect McCree enemy ult voiceline over team chat in random games to freak his teammates out

Matt Mercer is a national treasure and I love him.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Are we all looking forward to Chris Pikula being denied his rightful place in the MTG HoF once again?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mehall posted:

Are we all looking forward to Chris Pikula being denied his rightful place in the MTG HoF once again?

I don't follow the MtG pro scene at all and feel that I live a more fulfilling life as a result, so I guess I'm not looking forward to it?

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
So... fraying sanity, the card that doubles the amount of cards put in the graveyard for a player. You can cast it on yourself. Why do I want to build a deck that makes that good? Like some sort of Lab Maniac Flashback Control Dredge Monstrosity. 3 mana is too much for that effect on yourself, right? Maybe you could do something in standard. I don't know, but as soon as I saw that alternate use for it, I wanted to Johnny it up. I am not a good Johnny.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I don't follow the MtG pro scene at all and feel that I live a more fulfilling life as a result, so I guess I'm not looking forward to it?

I don't pay huge amounts of attention myself, but Chris is someone who managed to get overlooked in the early years of the HoF, then WotC changed the eligibility requirements which knocked Chris off being eligible, even though a number of his contributions to the game aren't measurable.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Shovelmint posted:

So... fraying sanity, the card that doubles the amount of cards put in the graveyard for a player. You can cast it on yourself. Why do I want to build a deck that makes that good? Like some sort of Lab Maniac Flashback Control Dredge Monstrosity. 3 mana is too much for that effect on yourself, right? Maybe you could do something in standard. I don't know, but as soon as I saw that alternate use for it, I wanted to Johnny it up. I am not a good Johnny.

Pair it up with Sidisi in EDH?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I had a terrible RG aggressive deck with no rares and went 3-1 losing to a deck with Scarab God, Nicol Bolas and 2 of the those 7/7 Wurms. Sealed sucks.

Also, Yes or No on Claim//Fame in Grixis Death Shadow?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Claim to Fame on a Death's Shadow sounds like a pain in the arse to play against so I can only assume everyone at my LGS will add it to their decks immediately.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cedric Phillips went on record in his podcast that he has been mentally done with Magic for 18 months or so, and is essentially leaving the game to focus on his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. He indicated he would still be involved in some more SCG coverage, so I'm not sure what he defines as "leaving" magic exactly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ZeroCount posted:

Claim to Fame on a Death's Shadow sounds like a pain in the arse to play against so I can only assume everyone at my LGS will add it to their decks immediately.

Here's my real issue: I can see it as maybe a 1-of in the board and it's more or less like why bother running it at that point. Modern sideboards are so small that you can maybe run 1-2 of a more flexible card like Liliana The Last Hope because she can kill X/1's and also get you a card back from the graveyard. Claim//Fame just seems too narrow to me and I'd never run it main in the current metagame.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

Cedric Phillips went on record in his podcast that he has been mentally done with Magic for 18 months or so, and is essentially leaving the game to focus on his dream of becoming a professional wrestler. He indicated he would still be involved in some more SCG coverage, so I'm not sure what he defines as "leaving" magic exactly.

LOL A pro wrestler?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

LOL A pro wrestler?

At age 31.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

Cedric Phillips went on record in his podcast that he has been mentally done with Magic for 18 months or so

Same.

ShaneB posted:

and is essentially leaving the game to focus on his dream of becoming a professional wrestler.

Also same.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You definitely have the anger required to be in wrastlin.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Here's my real issue: I can see it as maybe a 1-of in the board and it's more or less like why bother running it at that point. Modern sideboards are so small that you can maybe run 1-2 of a more flexible card like Liliana The Last Hope because she can kill X/1's and also get you a card back from the graveyard. Claim//Fame just seems too narrow to me and I'd never run it main in the current metagame.

It's copies 5-8 of Death's Shadow that can also be a one mana sorcery speed Snapcaster Mage. Too narrow?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

It's copies 5-8 of Death's Shadow that can also be a one mana sorcery speed Snapcaster Mage. Too narrow?

Literally all it does is get a card back out of the graveyard to the battlefield, with the potential for the kill. I'm not saying this is A BAD CARD or anything. I'm just asking what do you cut for it that doesn't weaken the deck in other ways?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ShaneB posted:

I guess the question is whether or not you want a card that puts DS back in play immediately or if you want to minus a planeswalker and then cast DS (since the mana cost is the same). I'm guessing the answer will almost always be LtLH, because it has more uses than "get guy back; now or later maybe give something a power boost and haste."

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Literally all it does is get a card back out of the graveyard to the battlefield, with the potential for the kill. I'm not saying this is A BAD CARD or anything. I'm just asking what do you cut for it that doesn't weaken the deck in other ways?

Tasigurmag, maybe move a K-Command to the board.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

Tasigurmag, maybe move a K-Command to the board.

I would never run this card in the main. What does it do game 1 against stuff like affinity, titan shift, elves, storm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

his dream of becoming a professional wrestler.
:same: Does he say what he wants his persona to be? He should be yugi to finally bridge that crossover we've all been wanting.