Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Wallet posted:

Ever since they fixed mod conflicts (sort of), any mods that the game will launch with in tandem are "compatible," they just might overwrite each other's changes (which can cause some wonky poo poo, granted).

Thanks. :) I found this to be the case, it's using some of the Chaos Rising stuff such as better tech research times, and it's added in the Norsca diplomatic relationship boost tech, but recruiting things like Chosen and Aspiring Champions takes 3 turns still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm kinda burning out on Warhammer since I'm just replaying my usual factions at this point, so I decided to try out the Southern Realms mod since SFO now supports it. Now, an important thing to note about their rosters is that, at least for the SFO version, they were brought in mainly to make the three factions feel more unique instead of basically gimped Empire clones. Despite this, I think the way Cataph designed their rosters and upgrades is really cool: Southern Realm armies play similarly to Empire armies, except that their unique units gets a plethora of upgrades that make them potent core units in your army composition.

For example, Estalia has Adventurers, which is basically a stronger and tougher version of Swordsmen with the most notable advantage being 30 more armor. However, they can be improved even further through Lord skills and tech upgrades, giving them the following boosts:

+12 Melee Attack
+15 Melee Defense
+20 Armor
+5 Bonus against Large Units

Fully upgraded, Estalian Adventurers get 40 more armor, 3 more melee defense, and a solid bonus against big targets over Empire Swordsmen for 50% more upkeep.

Reiterating my previous point of course, these guys are still relatively underpowered compared to the main factions' units as in the end, they're still basically supercharged Swordsmen and still won't do much against armored infantry (particularly because the SRs also don't get the +10% weapon damage tech). However, I found it to be a good way to differentiate the SRs from the Empire, especially with their whole schtick of "mercenaries galore": their "power" comes from fighting all over the world for money, so it translates well into Lord skill bonuses and technologies supercharging their unique units.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I dunno if it was ever ported over to SFO, but the Kraka Drak mod was great for that sort of experience too. Just angry, eternally drunk dwarfs at the rear end-end of the world murdering marauders with shotguns. Even gave you some light cavalry options as well, made for a unique and cool game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Trujillo posted:

There's a mod that nerfs the varg and skaeling and I remember seeing one that delays the Chaos Invasion on the workshop a while ago but I have no clue what it's called or if it's up to date.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=969275793

Was browsing through new mods yesterday and this one looks interesting. It unifies all the sub-factions into the main ones and gives them all more starting armies. I loaded it up and looked around but haven't tried a campaign of it yet. It's probably not that balanced but I'm guessing it'll lead to a lot more huge battles with better armies since the AI will have a lot more recruitment options/slots.

Sounds like a nightmare for the dwarfs and insane for the wood elves.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Another thing about the Estalia start in SFO is that the scripted Beastmen respawns happen right on top of you, always. This means you pretty much have to keep a stack at home at all times, though it works out because Lupio Sunscryer (the default faction leader) gets an ability where his local province gets a great +30% income bonus in exchange for a solid public order penalty. Combined with your ports, which make a lot more money than generic Bretonnian and Empire ports, you can fund two elite stacks from Estalia alone.

Unfortunately for me, I'm absolute garbage at fighting Beastmen, so I just auto-resolve those fights :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Using an odd amount of diplomacy as Orcs I have just about secured my corner of the map and have wiped out the main dwarf faction. Now with a bit more pushing I will be able to start making a push into Empire land whilst wiping out most of the surviving dwarf factions. Anyway the star of the show have been my Waaghs as being able to use them to deal with weakish stacks running inside your territory and take weakly guarded settlement makes everything so much easier.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, Steel Faith and crew deliberately designed it so the Southern Realms units are weaker than their Empire counterparts. Most total bonuses apart from standouts like Adventurer armor or what-have-you are usually only half of what the Empire can get. Unfortunate, but ultimately understandable.

Still, I got to thinking about how to make them more competitive in campaign, and I thought about how the veterancy system feels strangely immaterial to me. Apart from stacking veterancy bonuses being really easy to do and making the struggle to get to gold chevrons irrelevant, units get 9 melee defense and attack plus a good amount of leadership at the very least once they hit max rank. IMO it doesn't feel like it has enough impact for melee units, while it's significantly more valuable for ranged units since they get reload rate reduction and accuracy bonuses.

I once tried out a mod that made it so different unit classes benefit differently from veterancy ranks, so defensive units would get a massive increase in their melee defense stat. I wonder if it's possible to make it so that SR factions really have to work towards gaining veterancy (captains lose +veterancy skill, etc.) by preserving their units; in turn, they benefit a lot more than other factions from experience. For example, the Empire may be able to quickly muster powerful Handgunner units once all their infrastructure is set up, but a veteran SR equivalent would have stronger bonuses to accuracy and reload rates that can match their Empire counterparts' tech/skill advantage. Maybe they can even access veterancy bonuses that their counterparts don't have, so they can even get damage or range boosts from high veterancy.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel any veterancy bonuses would also require the AI to get experience over time and every 20 or so turns they get a extra level on every recruit, otherwise it would just snowball the player even harder then it does now.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
vet also increase missile damage for ranged units, or at least it used to for the dwarves.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mazz posted:

vet also increase missile damage for ranged units, or at least it used to for the dwarves.

It also increases accuracy and reload speed with artillery, which can be a surprising difference at the mid-higher levels. A grudge-thrower in the silvers will have a noticeably higher kill count than a fresh unit.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692256583

I've had this mod for a while for skill points (have fun with manfred and his 50+ skills), was looking for another one that regularly gives me 2 points per level or something and yet all of them seem to have some weird limitation like only giving you more points after a certain level or not giving it to heroes and non-legendary lords. is there some actual mechanic preventing them doing this eg an artificial cap on points, or is everyone having a mass stupid attack and feeling they need to 'balance' their 1-line mods?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Keeping it out of the hands of the AI is probably the main concern.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

Keeping it out of the hands of the AI is probably the main concern.

Nah, all these types of Mods also give the AI more points to sink into +raid income and 3% pistolier damage, it's just a bunch of people having slightly different ideas as to what the correct number of bonus skill points should be.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

pnutz posted:

I've had this mod for a while for skill points (have fun with manfred and his 50+ skills), was looking for another one that regularly gives me 2 points per level or something and yet all of them seem to have some weird limitation like only giving you more points after a certain level or not giving it to heroes and non-legendary lords. is there some actual mechanic preventing them doing this eg an artificial cap on points, or is everyone having a mass stupid attack and feeling they need to 'balance' their 1-line mods?

There is no cap on points, but it probably bothers some :spergin: people when they have their entire skill tree full and still have points left over.

It's pretty easy to make a mod that gives 2 points per level.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

pnutz posted:

It's extremely easy to make/edit in the PFM if you wanted to, its just set per level in one big table. They are just doing 2/3/2/3/1/1/1 or whatever, you can just C+P 3 to the whole table and get 3 all game. I do that in little personal mod I used to run because it was way more fun having those dudes running around.

Get the PFM from Total War Center, set it to the TW:W directory, open the .pack file of the skill points mod name you are using. There should be 1 table in there you have to click on, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Change those fields, save the file, and there you go. I'd recommend renaming the .pack so it doesn't get auto updated or reverted by Steam.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there a mod out there that stops units disbanding at very low health/models? Quite annoying that

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there a mod out there that stops units disbanding at very low health/models? Quite annoying that

Warning, changing that is going to make killing off ai stacks a nightmare because you'll have to actually chase down and kill routing units to the last man. GL dorfs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
As Empire, is there any reason to not use Spearmen with Shields as my chaff/tarpit over Swordsmen? Same cost, spearmen with shields have better defenses but are weaker offensively than swordsmen. But I don't really care too much about how much damage my chaff are doing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Swordsmen can actually get pretty killy later on with lord upgrades. I feel like they are almost always a better choice vs vampire and greenskin AI armies.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

As Empire, is there any reason to not use Spearmen with Shields as my chaff/tarpit over Swordsmen? Same cost, spearmen with shields have better defenses but are weaker offensively than swordsmen. But I don't really care too much about how much damage my chaff are doing.

Overall I favor Spearmen as chaff in most Empire matchups, they've got that extra bit of utility vs large and you don't bring them to win infantry fights anyway.

Swordsmen are better for Empire vs Empire fights though, since it's all just infantry blobs and crossbows until way later in the game and swordsmen are doing most of the work for you.

For Vampires mixing in flaggelants is huge, and you want halberds for when Chaos starts showing up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For anyone who uses the brutal battle mod, can they explain what exactly it does? the steam mod page has no real description of -what- it does and just shows some before and after screenshots that are barely different.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My understanding is that basically there are "kill" animations that all units have, and it ramps up how often they do them. The result is you'll have units swinging to kill each other more often rather than circling each other and sort of just poking each other every 5 seconds, so casualties mount faster.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For anyone who uses the brutal battle mod, can they explain what exactly it does? the steam mod page has no real description of -what- it does and just shows some before and after screenshots that are barely different.

It makes unit collision boxes smaller so they pack in more tightly. Hence the "brutal" part: scrums look more dense, and artillery, magic, monster splash attacks, and cavalry charges all work more effectively and look more awesome as a result.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

jokes posted:

Same, but 20 stack of peasants supported by 20 stack of knights with 20 stack of peasants as reinforcements.

If you don't want to play them as a grindhouse, I've found that having armies with six archers, six infantry, three knights, two trebuchets, two heros and a lord were completely unstoppable by late game. It allowed me to have autonomous armies each doing their thing.

As an aside, having any sort of artillery lets you avoid having to attack an enemy position ever again except for sieges. As soon as your artillery is in range of their units the AI will attack. When you're attacking a superior force, fortify your men in the corner of the map with your archers in front. Send out a trebuchet and soon as it gets the enemy within range bring it back. They'll attack, get chewed up by arrows and if you did it right your trebuchet will be fine.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With Bret I just had the king's army be 19 cavalry and 1 treb for knocking down gates, the cavalry is strong enough to take most cities and you'll decimate every open field battle.

J Bloo
Mar 20, 2009
Any general tips on a beastman campaign? Battles are going fine so far but the horde mechanics and buildings are so different from what I'm used to.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

J Bloo posted:

Any general tips on a beastman campaign? Battles are going fine so far but the horde mechanics and buildings are so different from what I'm used to.

When playing Hordes and engaging with the building/tech tree, the two most important things above all are growth and upkeep. You need enormous amounts of growth to build everything so anything that gives+growth is gold. Likewise, most of your building chains grant further reduced upkeep with every level. It also takes far less growth to upgrade an existing chain compared to adding a new one.

Basically then you want to heavily emphasize building the primary chain (which adds growth and unlocks higher level buildings) along with 2-3 key recruitment structures until much later on. The most valuable buildings for Beastmen are the infantry line, the Minotaur Line, (Unless you're using Morghur) and the Shaman line. Once you have those down then you can go one of the Centigor/Hound/Boar chain to unlock "cav" support, and finish up with the chains that grant increased stats and massively reduced upkeep.

Do note that Khazrak's questlines require you to produce shamans and warhounds at points, so you can have those ready. Also with hordes, every new building chain requires more growth to build than the last one, you can exploit this somewhat by demolishing a building you no longer need or used to produce 1-2 units so you can get the next building out faster.

In other news, next ritual is finally up. It's an easy one, and unlocks concept art with a Shadowy skaven figure. No idea if it's supposed to be someone in particular.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

At this point I hope they announce Tomb Kings because the trolling would be epic.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
tomb kings don't have trolls, stupid

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

McGavin posted:

There is no cap on points, but it probably bothers some :spergin: people when they have their entire skill tree full and still have points left over.

It's pretty easy to make a mod that gives 2 points per level.

I've got the :spergin: so I can understand people getting lovely about the wizards topping out real early with their tiny skill tree, it doesn't mean they have to gimp the melee heroes at the same time :mad:

Mazz posted:

It's extremely easy to make/edit in the PFM if you wanted to, its just set per level in one big table. They are just doing 2/3/2/3/1/1/1 or whatever, you can just C+P 3 to the whole table and get 3 all game. I do that in little personal mod I used to run because it was way more fun having those dudes running around.

Get the PFM from Total War Center, set it to the TW:W directory, open the .pack file of the skill points mod name you are using. There should be 1 table in there you have to click on, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. Change those fields, save the file, and there you go. I'd recommend renaming the .pack so it doesn't get auto updated or reverted by Steam.

I'd been meaning to do this for a while to see if I could give pistoliers +2 ap and make them useful versus something that doesn't have their name end in gor

perhaps this would be a suggestion to CA to put it in the research tree instead of "yeay 10% extra damage"

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

pnutz posted:

I've got the :spergin: so I can understand people getting lovely about the wizards topping out real early with their tiny skill tree, it doesn't mean they have to gimp the melee heroes at the same time :mad:

I'd been meaning to do this for a while to see if I could give pistoliers +2 ap and make them useful versus something that doesn't have their name end in gor

perhaps this would be a suggestion to CA to put it in the research tree instead of "yeay 10% extra damage"

I'm pretty sure that with missile weapons the projectile is what actually has the damage values you need to change, but i might be misremembering. Also AP damage is just guaranteed damage, so if the pistoleers do like 11/0 just change it to 9/2 and they'll do roughly the same total damage to unarmored targets but much more reliable damage per volley to armored.

Also as a side note, there is very little restricting what weapons fire what projectiles. If you were inclined you could make goblin archers shoot other winged goblins in massed fire. In Attila I had a crossbow unit that shot contact grenades and it was about as overpowered as it sounds.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 10, 2017

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Any advice on dealing with cavalry for different races (I've been toying around with empire and dwarves)? Specifically hounds and chariots?

Even if I make my spearmen lines deep the chariots keep moving through them. They rout then comeback and I can't seem to trap them. The only tactic I have found as a good counter to this is to turtle up on a corner of the map but that's just a boring way to play...

Also how do I use demigrif knights? They seem lacking.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

pnutz posted:

I had trouble adding flat AP damage to projectiles while working on a magic mod. There's a value that seems like it should do it, but is actually a multiplier despite being phrased like a flat addition.

ughhhh posted:

Any advice on dealing with cavalry for different races (I've been toying around with empire and dwarves)? Specifically hounds and chariots?

Hounds are actually not Large, despite moving and fighting in a role similar to cavalry. Your best bet for them is either cavalry to catch them out or just counter-charge with infantry.

Chariots ARE Large, but have such huge mass and penetration that spears aren't great against them. Use either AP missiles or (preferably) anti-Large Cavalry of your own. Chariots suck against cavalry

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

For dwarves have your thunderers shoot into them as they come in then block them off with a deeper unit of warriors and charge some slayers in to start the killing. Or use an organ gun, that thing pulps cavalry pretty well. It's safer and easier to just use the slayers though. Just don't let the slayers themselves get charged, they are not good defensively.

Oh and use one of your runesmiths to completely stop a charge by just getting in the way. They won't take much damage and can help slow down the horses

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fangz posted:

At this point I hope they announce Tomb Kings because the trolling would be epic.

I just want bone giants with greatbows so I can rename the unit Hawkeye Gough

ughhhh posted:

Even if I make my spearmen lines deep the chariots keep moving through them. They rout then comeback and I can't seem to trap them. The only tactic I have found as a good counter to this is to turtle up on a corner of the map but that's just a boring way to play...

Also how do I use demigrif knights? They seem lacking.

As Dwarves your best bet are organ guns or cannons on your flank and focusing it down before it gets to you. You can also try boxing up your army instead of making a line

As Empire you can do the same, or even better charge it with your own cavalry; preferably anti-large cav

Demigryph knights are your elite hunters. With lances should be hammer and anviling the toughest infantry your opponent has, and with halberds they should be intercepting other elite cavalry or armored monsters

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well Demigryph knights with halberds are there to mulch almost anything that moves. I honestly never see the point of the lance variant as regular knight orders can handle purely anti-infantry stuff.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

madmac posted:

Basically then you want to heavily emphasize building the primary chain (which adds growth and unlocks higher level buildings) along with 2-3 key recruitment structures until much later on. The most valuable buildings for Beastmen are the infantry line, the Minotaur Line, (Unless you're using Morghur) and the Shaman line. Once you have those down then you can go one of the Centigor/Hound/Boar chain to unlock "cav" support, and finish up with the chains that grant increased stats and massively reduced upkeep.

I prefer diversifying my lords, too. Primary lord takes infantry and minotaurs while the secondary tears down the infantry building and builds centigors.

Centigors are immune to fatigue, so they are the perfect reinforcements that can rush around the battlefield cycle charge for days.

I'd prioritize giants over shaman, they make the street fighting in sieges feel so much better.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

As Empire the Light wizard's net spell is a pretty hard counter for fast units of all types.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Quoting this so I can add it to my mod list when I get home. Sounds awesome. Is it a more compatible mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

J Bloo posted:

Also remember that you can go into encampment any turn you want as long as you save up 25% movement points. So you can move using 75% of your movement and then encamp afterwards.

• Locked thread