Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtu7vV_HmY
i'm the french dam connected to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Zeris posted:

I thought it was that if you didn't drink and beat your Russian wife, she'd never respect you

Respecting someone and marrying them are two totally different things in Russia

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Arven posted:

I worked for a large financial firm that, despite having a huge dedicated information security department and selling that fact to its clients, caved to the individual computer demands of every executive. We're talking local admin with non-expiring passwords of "password", here. I walked away from that job firmly believing that people over a certain age are unable to grasp what the internet really is and cannot fathom an intangible thing affecting the material world. Cyber security is seen as an expense, and when a breach happens it's treated the same way somebody sneaking past physical security would be- that somebody wasn't doing their job, so they look for an individual (someone in the IS department, not the dumbass that fell for the fishing email) to blame.

I switched my career path from security to just normal sys admin stuff because it's so depressing to work somewhere that has the means to do a decent job of protecting themselves but won't because they're unwilling or unable to say "NO" to some old men. I cannot even begin the fathom what the US government situation must be like.

That kind of bullshit for decades and to this day gives you the easiest way to break into any computing system or network. It's making GBS threads scary how often that goes on, everywhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Soylent Pudding posted:

More and more the only way I think we'll ever get anything approaching decent cybersecurity is to start holding software "engineers" and IT professionals to the same rigorous standards we hold the engineers building the rest of our infrastructure.

Most IT Engineers, including me, already stick to those standards. Its Accounting and the Executive Managers that refuse to let us practice them.

I force most of my clients who refuse to implement security standards because of 'costs' to sign waivers releasing me from responsibility. And then I charge them when they have accidents. I mean, gently caress, most large companies treat IT as a cost sink with no ROI despite the fact that IT is more and more often becoming the core of medium to large business, and refuse to spend on anything let alone IT security. Want a simple Audit? gently caress no, that cost money. Want to implement better firewall and server standards? Sorry, not in the budget.

Hell, its fun trying to even get companies to work on a 5 year IT plan, let alone retire Server 2003 boxes and old Linux boxes that haven't seen an update in 10 years.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 10, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Excuse the interruption, but this is a real thing, in real life, from a real reporter, from a real source, about our real government.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/884377384702619649

Today is going to be really stupid.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm Pepe Nation

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Excuse the interruption, but this is a real thing, in real life, from a real reporter, from a real source, about our real government.

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/5208365

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I grew up in a highly predominant French Canadian enclave in New England so the word "Pepe" just meant "werid thing to call your grandfather" to me for the longest time. Still does at first glance.

Also loving lol that grown rear end adults unironically refer to themselves like this.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Fight Russians with Russians! It's brilliant!

Well, the biggest killer of Russians is other Russians.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

grown rear end adults

I've found the problem.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Grown rear end adults being led around by the nose by Russian trolls.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Don Jr. isn't very smart, is he? Or does he just think because daddy's in power he can't basically tighten his own noose and dad will get him out of it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This is Diaper Don we're talking about.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Don Jr. isn't very smart, is he? Or does he just think because daddy's in power he can't basically tighten his own noose and dad will get him out of it?

Pretty sure that's the entire family. The women in the family at least seem competent, relatively speaking.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
this is your daily reminder that fox is a propoganda outlet and the 30% of unswayable conservatives live in a really weird bubble

Headling about g20, russia, don jr, or his daughter sitting at the table?

naw bro

peep dis

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The whole male side of the family is weirdo. I tried a few months ago to equate how Trump senior acts in relation to pattern recognition systems I've worked on, it was kind of eye opening. I can't talk about the psychology etc, I've never studied that, but I can talk about how he responds to utterances. In a normal person like any of us, you've got a simple systems outline: some stimulus -> brain state that we haven't got a loving clue how it works -> some response you make. That gives you all the complexities of intelligence and I suspect I'll be long dead before we understand it.

Trump and co only ever seem to do stimulus -> response. There's nothing in the middle, no complex mapping, nothing. Your dog is smarter than that. It's a bit of a silly analysis but that's the feeling I got thinking about it. I think being rich as gently caress from birth might actually make you retarded.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hexyflexy posted:

The whole male side of the family is weirdo. I tried a few months ago to equate how Trump senior acts in relation to pattern recognition systems I've worked on, it was kind of eye opening. I can't talk about the psychology etc, I've never studied that, but I can talk about how he responds to utterances. In a normal person like any of us, you've got a simple systems outline: some stimulus -> brain state that we haven't got a loving clue how it works -> some response you make. That gives you all the complexities of intelligence and I suspect I'll be long dead before we understand it.

Trump and co only ever seem to do stimulus -> response. There's nothing in the middle, no complex mapping, nothing. Your dog is smarter than that. It's a bit of a silly analysis but that's the feeling I got thinking about it. I think being rich as gently caress from birth might actually make you retarded.

Trump and his ilk at the sort of disconnected rich folks you only read about that, while on paper are well read and studied, are generally so far disconnected from reality that they cannot react to normal situations without constantly tripping over their own words faster than someone rolling down the stairs.

At least that's my take away.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 10, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

What the gently caress is a "source close to the white house"? The guy who cleans the streets out there? This isn't news.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh it 100% makes you retarded. Being comfortably upper middle class since birth had me being a dumb poo poo for a while back there, I can't imagine what kicking it up to millionaire status does.

I think it's something to do with being surrounded by just sycophants and servants (and abusive Trump Sr.'s) so nobody ever tells you you're a loving idiot when you're being a loving idiot and you never learn how to be a human being. It's impossible that you could be wrong or even that people would dislike you, because every day of your life you've been surrounded by people telling you you're always right and cool and awesome. Anybody challenging these assumptions is obviously a fake jealous loser who must be attacked and put down immediately, just like that maid you had daddy fire after she called you obnoxious. You never have to grow mentally beyond a toddler, so you never do.The real world will beat the idiocy out of most people when they get to it even if they were dumb kids, but enough money can insulate even from that.

E: Many, many typos

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 10, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Eh, if I had the means to give my kids a super easy life I would. Why struggle at any point from birth to death if you don't need to?*

Look at the Trump family. Love them or hate them, whatever they did in the last couple of generations worked. They may be retarded, but they won/are winning.

*maybe I should mention that I grew up ultra poor and that might be shaping my viewpoints on this.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 10, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
His dad was pretty good at the real estate game.

If Donnie had kept the property he inherited and just sat on it, it would've been worth over $10B now. Instead he's well below half of that. And roughly half his net worth is tied up in one small section of NYC, so local fluctuations really gently caress with the bottom line.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

Eh, if I had the means to give my kids a super easy life I would. Why struggle at any point from birth to death if you don't need to?*

Look at the Trump family. Love them or hate them, whatever they did in the last couple of generations worked. They may be retarded, but they won/are winning.

*maybe I should mention that I grew up ultra poor and that might be shaping my viewpoints on this.

He was just given enough money and influence that he hasn't hosed up enough yet to sink his empire, that's all. He's lost immense amounts of his brand value due to poor planning and poor management.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
He's probably one of the worst 'businessmen' ever to play the game but he's a pretty good conman.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh it 100% makes you retarded. Being comfortably upper middle class since birth had me being a dumb poo poo for a while back there, I can't imagine what kicking it up to millionaire status does.

I grew up comfortably middle class and I was dumb as poo poo too, surprisingly I was dumber than my GF who grew up bridle path rich.

I think a lot of these kids have the issue where they get spoiled as gently caress because they never see their parents. Sure they may be driving a Porsche at 16 but they saw their dad for 20 minutes 3 weeks ago. It changes your perceptions from "my loving parents" to "that guy who gives me poo poo".

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah, first and sometimes second generation rich people are actually functioning human beings because they had to be at one point. Once you get into generational wealth, however, your magic money bubble is impenetrable to minor things like "reality" and "what it's like to work for a living" so you turn into an entitled man-toddler.

This is also why fortunes tend to disappear if you keep them in the family, your kids or grandkids will likely turn into retards who don't understand/can't manage money and blow it all. If you luck into huge wealth, give it to the professionals and set your kids up with a trust fund, never let them touch the business.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 10, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

He was just given enough money and influence that he hasn't hosed up enough yet to sink his empire, that's all. He's lost immense amounts of his brand value due to poor planning and poor management.

And then he went out and got a branch of the government.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

TBeats posted:

To be fair, that's basically all of our fault.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

That's not really a success as its steadily becoming clearer that it was more a power play by someone way smarter and more influential :ussr:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

That's not really a success as its steadily becoming clearer that it was more a power play by someone way smarter and more influential :ussr:

I don't want to get into a huge debate about why Trump won so I'll just summarize my thoughts: Russia didn't win the election for Trump; Trump won the election by being the perfect candidate for 2016.

Opportunistic? Lucky? Probably a bit of both, but either way he's got a branch of the government. Barron will never struggle in his life, and Barron's kids will never struggle in their lives, regardless of how much fortune Donald Trump squandered.

They won at the game of life, is all I'm saying. Someone hits the lotto it's definitely 100% luck, but you'd still say they won the lotto.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

I don't want to get into a huge debate about why Trump won so I'll just summarize my thoughts: Russia didn't win the election for Trump; Trump won the election by being the perfect candidate for 2016.

Opportunistic? Lucky? Probably a bit of both, but either way he's got a branch of the government. Barron will never struggle in his life, and Barron's kids will never struggle in their lives, regardless of how much fortune Donald Trump squandered.

They won at the game of life, is all I'm saying. Someone hits the lotto it's definitely 100% luck, but you'd still say they won the lotto.

You can't really downplay Russia's involvement when Don Jr. can't even cover his own rear end in saying they were directly feeding them information to sway voters or dissuade them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

You can't really downplay Russia's involvement when Don Jr. can't even cover his own rear end in saying they were directly feeding them information to sway voters or dissuade them.

That doesn't change my overall point though: the Trumps are winning at life from the perspective of several generations worth (including going forward) don't have to struggle for anything, regardless of who helped who get where.

Give me a billion dollars and I'm winning at life even if I didn't earn a dime of it.

Either way I think the rhetoric doled out by Fox News from 2009 to 2016 did more to benefit Trump in the election than Russia could have ever hoped to.

I guess my bigger point is, from the perspective of a Trump, what benefit is there to be anything other than what you are? They still have billions and now they have a branch of the government. Until someone holds them accountable... heh, never mind, nobody will ever do that.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 10, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Winning at life includes your family not withering on the vine. How many kids are the older children having?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

TBeats posted:

I've posted a few times about Trump's communication and audience awareness. Either by pure dumb loving accident or calculated, he says what a large chunk of people want to hear.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^I want to see what happens when he's a room of Americans who aren't trying to jerk him off with one hand and stacking bricks with the other. An audience that isn't just going to cheer for every stupid thing he says.

CommieGIR posted:

I think Trump would've won anyway (for reasons that don't belong in this thread anymore). Russian involvement concerns me more from an "undermining the very fabric of the republic" standpoint than anything else.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 10, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

I think Trump would've won anyway (for reasons that don't belong in this thread anymore). Russian involvement concerns me more from an "undermining the very fabric of the republic" standpoint than anything else.

This. I can accept as bitter as it may be that Trump won because of his messaging and how much people really did not like Clinton.

The explanation I've given to conservative family members (and a few have agreed so there's something at least) as to why they might want to care is that it could very easily be a democratic candidate pulling this poo poo next time around if Trump and Co. get away with it this time. It's not a standard I want to set.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

^I want to see what happens when he's a room of Americans who aren't trying to jerk him off with one hand and stacking bricks with the other. An audience that isn't just going to cheer for every stupid thing he says.

Given his media and public appearance methods/control the SOTU speeches might be the closest he ever gets to such an audience.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

That doesn't change my overall point though: the Trumps are winning at life from the perspective of several generations worth (including going forward) don't have to struggle for anything, regardless of who helped who get where.

Give me a billion dollars and I'm winning at life even if I didn't earn a dime of it.

Either way I think the rhetoric doled out by Fox News from 2009 to 2016 did more to benefit Trump in the election than Russia could have ever hoped to.

I guess my bigger point is, from the perspective of a Trump, what benefit is there to be anything other than what you are? They still have billions and now they have a branch of the government. Until someone holds them accountable... heh, never mind, nobody will ever do that.

The point isn't whether or not Russia actually ended up helping Trump. It's that unchecked Russian attempts to interfere with the electoral process (along with everything else) is a greater threat to national security than whatever brown boogeymen conservatives can concoct.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

The point isn't whether or not Russia actually ended up helping Trump. It's that unchecked Russian attempts to interfere with the electoral process (along with everything else) is a greater threat to national security than whatever brown boogeymen conservatives can concoct.

We are talking past each other. I'm not commenting on the death of democracy or Russia meddling at all. I 100% agree with you, I just 100% wasn't talking about that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

The election was really, really, really close. Agreed about not getting into the reasons, but there were probably half a dozen factors that could have shifted the tens of thousands of votes that decided the outcome - Russian involvement is likely on that list.

But yeah, that aside, foreign intervention in our elections should be unacceptable even if the outcome isn't in jeopardy. Hopefully these events will result in some introspection by US policy planners before meddling in other countries' elections in the future, though that unfortunately seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ya'll think Trump is proof the president actually doesn't know something really really spooky like Aliens landing at area 51, there's a cthulu like entity sleeping at the bottom of the ocean, magic exists, etc?

• Locked thread