Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Data Graham posted:

Thanks for the replies on this.

From what I'm hearing, though, unfortunately it sounds like the case is that there isn't any huge torpedo I can blow it up with, nothing he can't hand-wave away with "Oh well you talk to me once Mike Pence actually does something anti-gay that actually matters" or "They took out some bloated anti-discriminatory verbage from a couple of federal hiring recommendations? Oh no, end of the world!". Nothing that he might have missed simply by being walled off from Trump-critical news media for months.

In other words I'll have to just sit there with my tight-lipped smile until someone tries to overturn Obergefell and Trump throws in with the evangelicals or whatever.

If he can't understand the problems of appointing a supreme court justice, a vice president, an attorney general, and a secretary of education who all believe that LGBT adults and kids don't deserve equal protection under the law (in jobs, housing, education, marriage, military service/benefits, etc.) and have all taken steps in their careers to ensure that, then I'm not sure why you're bothering. If marriage rights are literally his only concern, then gently caress that dude and his regressive bullshit. What is that Trump has promised to do for LGBT folks? Anything that might offer material progress? You could also point to all the instances where Trump has already thrown in with the evangelicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

i am the bird posted:

What is that Trump has promised to do for LGBT folks? Anything that might offer material progress?
Islam is inherently homophobic, Trump hates Islam, therefore Trump is the best President for LGBT people. That's seriously the argument you'll get from some people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

i am the bird posted:

If he can't understand the problems of appointing a supreme court justice, a vice president, an attorney general, and a secretary of education who all believe that LGBT adults and kids don't deserve equal protection under the law (in jobs, housing, education, marriage, military service/benefits, etc.) and have all taken steps in their careers to ensure that, then I'm not sure why you're bothering. If marriage rights are literally his only concern, then gently caress that dude and his regressive bullshit. What is that Trump has promised to do for LGBT folks? Anything that might offer material progress? You could also point to all the instances where Trump has already thrown in with the evangelicals.

I know, it's just frustrating when it's someone you can't get away from.

Only reason I care is that we have a lot of mutual friends who are gay and vocally anti-Trump, and this guy is ripping on all of them by saying stuff like "You guys sound like those people who freaked out because John Ashcroft was going to make gay sex illegal, or because Reagan was going to start a nuclear war on his first day in office. You should be focusing on all those countries where they throw gays off tall buildings, and cheering because Trump is loving them all in the rear end :smuggo:"

But you're right, it's really just not worth it.

E: ^^ uh yeah that

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/884361623514656769

That is soooo illegal!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Isn't lewandowski back in the administration?

I think he's back in the circle that trump listens to but without a formal position. I might have missed it if he got one though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cuomo has had Conway on for the last fifteen minutes and she's practically filibustering, it's impressive. Usually a bad sign when they have to send her out in this mode.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ekeog posted:

Cuomo has had Conway on for the last fifteen minutes and she's practically filibustering, it's impressive. Usually a bad sign when they have to send her out in this mode.

I thought it had become clear they don't send her out ever, she just books herself on shows and wings it - which annoys the white house as it means she doesn't stick to the agreed upon lies and winds up contradicting them with new lies.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

I thought it had become clear they don't send her out ever, she just books herself on shows and wings it - which annoys the white house as it means she doesn't stick to the agreed upon lies and winds up contradicting them with new lies.

I don't know at this point - she seems to only be on after big stories drop and they're in damage control mode, but it's literally impossible to know the reasons for anything in this White House's hundred different competing factions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/884389427279220736

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ekeog posted:

I don't know at this point - she seems to only be on after big stories drop and they're in damage control mode, but it's literally impossible to know the reasons for anything in this White House's hundred different competing factions.

i think thats because when big stories drop everyone else doesn't want to get booked on the shows because trump will contradict their lies within a day and they're tired of getting burned but she has no shame about it so she's the only one they can get

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/884390274155380736

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
https://twitter.com/JohnVChristie/status/884387741064204289

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My god it's like a garbage pail kid

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
omg comey is in so much trouble you guys

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

My god it's like a garbage pail kid

Deplorable Donald

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

nachos posted:

omg comey is in so much trouble you guys

It's really interesting that Donald thinks of illegality in terms of a gradation, as if something can be more or less illegal. Illegal is definitely a binary state, my friend. There are just lesser and greater forms of punishment.

Also Morning Joe is starting in on the Don Jr. stuff so expect a retaliatory tweet soon even though he definitely doesn't watch

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hahahahaha I love our country.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/884378624660582405

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Data Graham posted:

Thanks for the replies on this.

From what I'm hearing, though, unfortunately it sounds like the case is that there isn't any huge torpedo I can blow it up with, nothing he can't hand-wave away with "Oh well you talk to me once Mike Pence actually does something anti-gay that actually matters" or "They took out some bloated anti-discriminatory verbage from a couple of federal hiring recommendations? Oh no, end of the world!". Nothing that he might have missed simply by being walled off from Trump-critical news media for months.

In other words I'll have to just sit there with my tight-lipped smile until someone tries to overturn Obergefell and Trump throws in with the evangelicals or whatever.

For what it's worth the Department of Commerce EEOC statement legitimately seems like it was just a case of unintentional LGBT-erasure judging from the reaction when the press caught wind of it. The DOC Office of Civil Rights and Commerce Secretary were extremely quick to correct it and sent out a statement which basically said "that last statement was missing language about sexual orientation and gender identity. Those are totally still covered by the EEO laws and we will come down hard on anyone who discriminates or harasses based upon such things (please please report it if you feel that you or someone you know has been a victim of such discrimination or harassment)".

The real problem getting in the way of arguing with anyone supporting the Trump administration is that Trump has at one point or another expressed support for nearly every conceivable position on every subject because he either just spouts random things or at best whatever he thinks the current person he is talking with wants to hear. His administration is so disorganized and inept that it seems to be continuing that pattern.

The sole exception of course being Russia. :thunk:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

...what?

Oh this is about Ivanka taking his place at the G20 meeting, isn't it

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

aware of dog posted:

...what?

Oh this is about Ivanka taking his place at the G20 meeting, isn't it

If you give up your seat at G20, you lose it.

Sweden just slides in and takes it before anybody notices. It's how Canada got there, and we haven't been able to force the lousy poutinemunchers out since.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ivanka was holding his seat while he gave the country away?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

america so little respected under trump that if he gets up his seat would instantly be stolen! sad!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

america so little respected under trump that if he gets up his seat would instantly be stolen! sad!

Those illegals would have swooped in and taken his job-seat

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

i think thats because when big stories drop everyone else doesn't want to get booked on the shows because trump will contradict their lies within a day and they're tired of getting burned but she has no shame about it so she's the only one they can get

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/884390274155380736

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/884385600404692992

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

If I remember correctly this guy is part of conspiracy Twitter, but this makes me :thunk: anyway:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/884248485163302912

Did anything else relevant happen that would've caused a massive surge on that day?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

If I remember correctly this guy is part of conspiracy Twitter, but this makes me :thunk: anyway:

Did anything else relevant happen that would've caused a massive surge on that day?

Worth reading the thread on this too. "Blackmail file" is an interesting turn of phrase that gets repeated by Donny and crew to the point where it feels obvious he was handed some specific phrases from a non-native speaker.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://mobile.twitter.com/rebeccagberg/status/884399475355246595

Don jr is very dumb

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i have severe doubts that information could be the "thing of value" you're prohibited from receiving from foreigners as a campaign except in cases where that information has directly quantifiable monetary value. it fits in the plain definition and you could have tried to make a case of it a decade ago, but the Supreme Court has been seriously cracking down on using very broad statutes like that according to their literal meaning but outside of what you would consider their reasonable meaning. i think chait and some others have made that argument but I don't buy it.

that said it is as direct an admission of collusion as you're ever going to get though jesus christ "oh, that russian operative. i met them to discuss secret information about clinton's campaign, then we discussed the sanctions against russia. what's the big deal."

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

He takes after his dad.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

SocketWrench posted:

Barron does have the most to lose from all this. He's young, he'll have to live out the repricussions the longest, and with this POTUS trainwreck ruining the Trump name market value, hes the most likely to live some point in life as a fast food employee. Especially since his older brothers are gonna have dibs on the family inheritance first....if Trump doesn't just burn it all on his deathbed to build some gaudy, ugly rear end memorial to himself
How old is Barron? Early teens is a good time in life to start reading George Orwell and Hunter S. Thompson.

I'm kind of rooting for him and Tiffany simply because they haven't done anything lovely yet, at least that I know about.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ralepozozaxe posted:

He takes after his dad.

Wow. He is impressively stupid. A man who can afford an entire team of attorneys can't keep his mouth shut.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

trickybiscuits posted:

How old is Barron? Early teens is a good time in life to start reading George Orwell and Hunter S. Thompson.

I'm kind of rooting for him and Tiffany simply because they haven't done anything lovely yet, at least that I know about.

If this was a Hollywood movie, Barron would turn out to be the mole. Now that may sound like fantasy, but I guaran-goddamn-tee that reality is going to make that poo poo look amateur, whatever it turns out to be.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

There Bias Two posted:

Wow. He is impressively stupid. A man who can afford an entire team of attorneys can't keep his mouth shut.

It's hard for some people to resist mouthing off when they have an audience.
Or the twitter equivalent thereof.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

If this was a Hollywood movie, Barron would turn out to be the mole. Now that may sound like fantasy, but I guaran-goddamn-tee that reality is going to make that poo poo look amateur, whatever it turns out to be.

Anyang or Tobias?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/884395618784993280
https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/884400070568890368

no big deal here guys. just meeting with some russians, nowhere.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought all of these morons lawyered up, instead Don Jr is making Carter Page look restrained

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone listen to Loevtt or Leave It this week? He had Jeff Ross, the comedian, and Ross said something about Trump that struck me as true. What has Trump done for his rube voters? He has entertained them for years, he made them feel like they were part of the game just like if it was the WWE or the NFL. That is why they love him and they will never care about anything he does, no matter how horrible or how much it hurts them personally.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 10, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

There Bias Two posted:

A secret meeting wouldn't have caused that either.

Main thing happening around then was primary season ending and prep for the conventions. Could have been bot accounts, could have been primary voters consolidating.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hahaha, the motherfucker is doubling down. Perfect.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

mdemone posted:

It'll be like the end of Harry Potter, except Barron is Draco and Ivanka is Ms. Malfoy. I guess mueller is Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought all of these morons lawyered up, instead Don Jr is making Carter Page look restrained

Lawyers can only advise you what to do or not to do. They can't force you to actually follow their advice.

• Locked thread