Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It might be more likely they stop doing dining packages.

Speaking of Animal Kingdom, enjoy these funny pictures:
Click for huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah they wouldn't stop the dining packages; they're actually really really profitable and good for Disney. There was a pretty big rumor about rivers of light ending a couple months ago though, for sure.

If anything it's just because they haven't finalized the schedule for animal kingdom for the fall (the park is still scheduled to close @ 7 PM). Who knows though.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Gotta defend my position on Spider-Man. I liked the ride, but the motions and effects don't feel as intense as Transformers and that made it less exciting than Transformers. Physical sets are cool though, poor girl next to me almost snapped my arm off when the dumptruck came out of the dark.

Almost wrapped up second day, spending a third day at Universal rather than one limited day at Disney. A shame, but I'd rather do a full Disney vacation later than a single day in one park.

Kong was good, shorter than it should have been but good. Animatroic Kong made me legit squeal with glee.

Forbidden Journey is in the running for best ride. Holy poo poo. Did two ride throughs, second time it stopped for some reason on the Dementor room and someone nearly had a panic attack. Holy poo poo it was impressive.

Also Cowfish was the best meal since we got here. Thanks for the recommendation thread!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SteelMentor posted:

Gotta defend my position on Spider-Man. I liked the ride, but the motions and effects don't feel as intense as Transformers and that made it less exciting than Transformers. Physical sets are cool though, poor girl next to me almost snapped my arm off when the dumptruck came out of the dark.

Almost wrapped up second day, spending a third day at Universal rather than one limited day at Disney. A shame, but I'd rather do a full Disney vacation later than a single day in one park.

Kong was good, shorter than it should have been but good. Animatroic Kong made me legit squeal with glee.

Forbidden Journey is in the running for best ride. Holy poo poo. Did two ride throughs, second time it stopped for some reason on the Dementor room and someone nearly had a panic attack. Holy poo poo it was impressive.

Also Cowfish was the best meal since we got here. Thanks for the recommendation thread!

Oh man, if Forbidden Journey stopped in the spider section my niece would seriously pee herself.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh man, if Forbidden Journey stopped in the spider section my niece would seriously pee herself.

I actually shut my eyes both times on that bit. Squeeling hell demons I can handle, spiders can gently caress off.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

As a fellow arachnophobe, I feel for her. I just kept my eyes shut till I felt the ride start moving again. We stopped right in front of Aragog. :gonk:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know wdwnt is kind of a joke but they're saying tron coaster replacing tommorowland speedway confirmed.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I know wdwnt is kind of a joke but they're saying tron coaster replacing tommorowland speedway confirmed.

And nothing of value was lost.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

God I hope that's true.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

i hope its just a cosmetic change and all they do is add some neon lights/decals on the cars.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'd be hard pressed to find someone that would be upset at that change, save my friend who worked at the Speedway during her DCP days.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My armchair imagineering would be to have Tron in Future World. Station in Innovations West and then it shoots around the Plaza before diving into a new show building.

Would give Future World a makeover and a new kinetic centerpiece to add excitement.

But Speedway isn't a bad place either.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

It seems odd to me to have Tron and Space Mountain next to each other, especially since Tron will be hopefully a lot smoother. I would never ride it now, but I have fond memories of doing the speedway with my parents. Kids really love it, I would rather they just go electric cars.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wish the Epcot rumors would leak more that's what I'm interested in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Edna Mode posted:

It seems odd to me to have Tron and Space Mountain next to each other, especially since Tron will be hopefully a lot smoother. I would never ride it now, but I have fond memories of doing the speedway with my parents. Kids really love it, I would rather they just go electric cars.

Not to mention 7 Dwarves right beside it. 3 roller coasters in a row is kinda weird for Magic Kingdom.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
From a reliable source on WDWMagic

quote:

This is NOT replacing the speedway.

Its plan C.

It's going BEHIND the Speedway.

All will be revealed at weekend.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Too good to be true

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Plan B is dig underneath the speedway for the Power Run, replace the concrete with clear glass so you can watch it whizz under.

Plan Q, weirdly enough, is to bring back Kitchen Kabaret. No one's sure why that's in the file, but there it is.

Source: My uncle who works for Nintendo drives a bus at WDW.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zero One posted:

From a reliable source on WDWMagic

It'd certainly give some purpose to that pathway behind the speedway that seems to only exist for getting to Tomorrowland from the station, watching the train, and inhaling second-hand cigarette smoke.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wouldn't mind kitchen kabaret coming back tbh

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Fejsze posted:

First, 6 hours with no traffic, if you arrive in the LA area anytime between like 3 and 8 add in an extra hour+. I used to take off around 6am from SF to beat the traffic there, and hit LA mid afternoon. The drive isn't bad, I-5 is booooooring so bring good music/audiobooks. Can also take Hwy 1/101 down the coast and see some pretty stuff. Adds a few hours, but worth doing at least once, especially if you stop halfway and enjoy a day in Moro Bay or San Simeon. I always drove down; with check in time at airport + flight + shuttle to hotel it ended up only saving an hour or two, gas is cheaper than 2 plane tickets (even in Cali), and it's super nice to have a car to drive places while you're down there (I'd always hit up Original Pancake House once a trip)

The cheapest way to do it is find a m/h-otel nearby (I preferred to be within walking distance, but as with anything the further out you go, the cheaper the hotel). I used to stay at either the Alpine Inn behind California Adventure, or Anaheim Plaza (oh, do not under any circumstances stay at the Riviera Hotel, just an awful awful place), but as long as you're not at like the Best Western directly across the street from the entrance, any of the hotels down near Katella will be way cheaper. Next, go have breakfast at Coco's on Katella/Disneyland Dr. Have a big one. More food than you want. Then don't eat much while on property throughout the day, and when you're all done, go eat dinner somewhere in the GardenWalk near your hotel. (however, be sure to go by Bengal BBQ for some of their tasty, tasty things on sticks at some point) Now if you drove, get in your car on or near your final day, and drive to a wal-mart or Disney outlet store and buy all the souvenirs you've been itching for. Done. Disneyland on the cheap.

Also (and no offense to Braks) you don't need a travel agent. Just Orbitz/Kayak your hotel. With the Annual Pass nothing really a travel agent can do for you, and they charge fees for non-disney properties.

Wow, thanks! We're gonna fly and I ended up buying tickets through a program with my girlfriend's work for cheap. We're looking at hotel stuff now and I'll send her this!

Also, can anyone give me a quick primer about Disneyland fastpasses? It's not through the app like at WDW? Does that make it harder to get them?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Disneyland Fast Passes are the paper passes like WDW used to have. You go up to a kiosk, insert your paper park ticket, it spits out a paper Fast Pass.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Woke up early this morning to book our fastpasses for September and managed to snag just about everything we wanted including both Avatar rides (on different days).

I remember reading that flight of passage can be difficult for larger people. I'm around 5'5 240 lbs and he's 5'7 265. Will this be a problem?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shingouryu posted:

Woke up early this morning to book our fastpasses for September and managed to snag just about everything we wanted including both Avatar rides (on different days).

I remember reading that flight of passage can be difficult for larger people. I'm around 5'5 240 lbs and he's 5'7 265. Will this be a problem?

Wait has no real bearing its more about body shape. I'm 5"11 and was like 280 and barely fit, but it's more because my legs are tall. You mount a stool against a wall.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Braksgirl posted:

Disneyland Fast Passes are the paper passes like WDW used to have. You go up to a kiosk, insert your paper park ticket, it spits out a paper Fast Pass.

I think my wife and I are the only people in the world that preferred the old paper FP system.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What about the Maxpass? Is that worth it?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I don't mind the paper system, but I do need the kiosks to be in a logical location. I was at California Adventure and never did find the Radiator Springs Racers FP kiosk.

I haven't had the chance to test Maxpass.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Braksgirl posted:

I don't mind the paper system, but I do need the kiosks to be in a logical location. I was at California Adventure and never did find the Radiator Springs Racers FP kiosk.

I haven't had the chance to test Maxpass.

Omg the RSR FP kiosk is nowhere near the ride. Its crazy.

I have a soft spot for the paper fast passes. But man, I am a pro at the digital ones. Modify, modify, modify, modify, modify......

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I liked the paper fast passes when I was in a small group who didn't mind the walking and could stick to a plan. With a combination of small kids and grandparents the paper ones suck because no one can get it together to do the walk around the park to pick up all the passes.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
People enjoy needing to get to the parks right at open and then running to Soarin or Toy Story so you could get a pass before they ran out?

No thanks. I love FP+ and the flexibility I have to pick when I want to show up at a park and know I already have Fast pass for the top attractions.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Fp+ is the future and anyone who likes paper is taking a nostalgia enema. Who the gently caress can argue with pre trip reservations, no need to rush for kiosks, and simple modifications from your phone?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Richard M Nixon posted:

Fp+ is the future and anyone who likes paper is taking a nostalgia enema. Who the gently caress can argue with pre trip reservations, no need to rush for kiosks, and simple modifications from your phone?

As long as the app works, I'm cool with it. It was buggy as hell a couple of years ago.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The app is a bit better now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Or the Surprise Fastpass you would get for Honey I Shrunk the Audience

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

BlueBayou posted:

Omg the RSR FP kiosk is nowhere near the ride. Its crazy.

I have a soft spot for the paper fast passes. But man, I am a pro at the digital ones. Modify, modify, modify, modify, modify......

Specifically, the Fastpasses are physically outside of Cars Land. Right by It's Tough To Be a Bug. To put that in perspective Florida People, imagine if paper Fastpasses for Seven Dwarves Mine Train had to be picked up outside of Casey's Corner.

Apparently, the current location was only meant to be temporary. The original location of the fast passes were meant to be right next to the ride as it traditionally always had been. But the entrance to Radiator Springs Racer is a kind of dead end, where you can either go onto the ride or go back the way you came. And based on the terrible crowding Harry Potter land experienced, the opening to Cars Land was expected to be huge. And it wouldn't look great to have a literal crush of people, half of whom are trying to get fastpass and the other half on to the ride, plus add however many are trying to go the other way to leave. And with that many people, some of them are bound to wait an hour only to find they are in the wrong line. So, to alleviate the congestion of Cars Land, they pushed them further up, just off the hub, to an area that receives much less traffic. And when the crowds mellow out, they would relocate the fastpass right back by the entrance as intended. Until then, right by the entrance was a neon sign advertising 'Fastpass distribution' to an empty area used for stroller parking.

However, Radiator Springs Racers popularity never really waned. It's still the first ride to run out of Fastpasses and is traditionally the longest standby line in both parks, barring unusual circumstances like the reopening of Matterhorn and Pirates or the grand opening of Mission Breakout. And Cars Land still retains massive traffic from audiences, so that lull in crowds never really came, especially in it's first summer. So the temporary location became it's permanent location, and it's original home was converted to shopping. And they had to replace the presumably costly neon sign to something else at great expense.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did you guys see the food and wine menu? There's a Wpcot Legacy booth with handwiches

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
One week until what will end up being our 4th trip in 13 months.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
D23 is almost here

http://twitter.com/starwars/status/885705595134803968

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

D23 and Comic-Con being back to back weekends is like news overflow. Saturday is the big Disney Parks presentation, anyone want to guess what announcements we're getting? Since we have a pretty good idea of what all is going to be in Star Wars Land and Pixar Land, it's likely to be lots of Epcot stuff probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Hopefully some info on the gondola system.