Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Someone defend Sonic 06 without talking about where he kiss de girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic 06 has one fun mechanic (the slingshot gem) and I enjoyed finding ways to break stages with it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ColdPie posted:

Is the Windows version of Generations decent?

Yeah, it's a fine port. Play it with a controller, obviously.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The worst Sonic game is definitely Secret Rings. I still played the poo poo out of it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The best thing about Sonic 06 is that surprisingly I haven't actually played it, because I haven't been able to find a copy for under $10 because I'm not willing to give up an Andrew Jackson for it

Unfortunately, this means I have played Shadow the Hedgehog because I found it for $3 in a bin once

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I didn't get 06 until I found it for 5 bucks used last year. I don't know why it's still over 20 dollars on Amazon, it should be sold for 5 cents

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

The worst Sonic game is definitely Secret Rings. I still played the poo poo out of it.

Secret Rings is way down there but at least I think it gets a bit more competent once you get past the mind-numbingly stupid idea of having to level up to get non-lovely controls. I'd still put it close to the bottom for that alone but if you're assuming max level it's a lot more playable than 2006 was.

I think I actually dislike Black Knight a bit more but that is because I hate the stupid sword mechanic so much.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Overbite posted:

Tbh if it weren't for the unbelievably lovely controls it would be 2/3rds of a playable game, Sonic and Shadow's gameplay is basically fine but is rendered unplayable by how poorly they handle. You can see glimpses of the game being decent in a few places but it's weighed down by the fact that if Sonic is moving full speed and you tilt left on the control stick you're going to hell.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

Secret Rings is way down there but at least I think it gets a bit more competent once you get past the mind-numbingly stupid idea of having to level up to get non-lovely controls. I'd still put it close to the bottom for that alone but if you're assuming max level it's a lot more playable than 2006 was.

I think I actually dislike Black Knight a bit more but that is because I hate the stupid sword mechanic so much.

I have played neither Black Knight nor Secret Rings but I still like Black Knight more because it gave us Knight of the Wind.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I have played neither Black Knight nor Secret Rings but I still like Black Knight more because it gave us Knight of the Wind.

Oh no, Black Knight gave us an amazing collection of Sonic buttrock. That is by far its best feature.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah Secret Rings at level 1 is borderline unplayable. It gets pretty fun at max level but getting there is a very long path.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Sterling plays an important role in at least trying to weed out both lovely corporate practices in the industry and cheap money-grabbing schemes from "indie developers" who just crank out garbage and poo poo it onto Steam. He had an ad-farming site taken down shortly after he did a video exposing them, he's had attempts made to sue him which backfired on the assholes who tried it...

Call him "grating" or what-have-you but he's one of the only people out there actually trying to push back against some of the worst aspects of the gaming industry. His clickbait articles on Destructoid were the only things I had a problem with, but that's in the past and he doesn't even write for them anymore that I know of.

I just wish he could do all that without the persona and being a bellend. But I suppose that doesn't bring in the views in the same way

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

I didn't get 06 until I found it for 5 bucks used last year. I don't know why it's still over 20 dollars on Amazon, it should be sold for 5 cents

It's because the game is infamous and people want to do lets plays and twitch streams of them playing one of the most legendarily bad games every so they can get those sweet clicks

Also they want to say they have one of the worst games ever in their collection. I'm sure this accounts for 90% of sales

King Vidiot posted:

Sterling plays an important role in at least trying to weed out both lovely corporate practices in the industry and cheap money-grabbing schemes from "indie developers" who just crank out garbage and poo poo it onto Steam. He had an ad-farming site taken down shortly after he did a video exposing them, he's had attempts made to sue him which backfired on the assholes who tried it...

Call him "grating" or what-have-you but he's one of the only people out there actually trying to push back against some of the worst aspects of the gaming industry. His clickbait articles on Destructoid were the only things I had a problem with, but that's in the past and he doesn't even write for them anymore that I know of.

I mean sure, that's good and all but his personality is just so offputting, along with the fact that he insists on dressing like a super-villain at all times

Like dude, Jim, just act like a normal human being instead of being such a huge weirdo, you weird me out man

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 10, 2017

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I prefer Knuckles, because unlike Knuckles, he doesn't chuckle, he'd rather flex his Knuckles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXglHbYB1Y4

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Everyone likes Sonic

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Overbite posted:

Team Dark's story is the best part and I like how these terrible people got established as true companions who have each other's backs.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Here's a question:

Does anyone like Sonic Rivals?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The best Sonic game is clearly Sonic Battle.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Super Jay Mann posted:

The best Sonic game is clearly Sonic Battle.

sonic battle was fuckin sweet

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Evil Eagle posted:

Here's a question:

Does anyone like Sonic Rivals?
literally forgot those games existed.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
a sonic warrior knows that to save the planet and conquer time, you have to believe in yourself. and ladies and gentlemen i believe in sonic the hedgehog

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I like going fast.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

I like going fast.

Have you considered Super Mario Bros or possibly Crash Bandicoot?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Someone once told me that "going fast" is slang for doing meth. I think about that sometimes.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Gotta (do) speed, keed

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Robotnik Nudes posted:

We can stop arguing and start enjoying this new video by friend of the thread and True blue Sonic Hero, Cybershell about the gasoline pissing disease called Sonic 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJp5UN-oqk4
I generally agree with the entire video, but for one hot take of my own - I think the music of Sonic 4 is actually pretty decent, compositionally, it's just that that's overshadowed by how all the instruments are dying cats (the result of Jun Senoue forgetting what a YM2612 sounds like and refusing to find out, I suppose). Like this, for example; a little overbearing on the volume, but it's more authentic to how it'd sound on a Genesis (mostly by virtue of it actually being a VGM rip of an SMPS port of the track to the Genesis hardware proper).

On the other hand, as much as I kinda like, say, Sky Fortress Act 1's theme, it clearly was not meant to be listened to for terribly long (let alone thirty minutes as is BrawlBRSTMs3 X's wont).

Overbite posted:

Its soundtrack is really good. Sort of the default lovely Sonic game defense (with the exception of Sonic Genesis on the GBA and Sonic Chronicles on the DS, of course), but I mean, I really dig this stuff, you know? Heck, it even gave us Eggman's current leitmotif, which went on to be used in better games; always kinda liked that little bit of consistency.

Evil Eagle posted:

I remember buying Secret Rings because I'd heard it was actually a pretty good game, which would be a breath of fresh air given this was around Sonic 2006's release date.

I sort of regret the purchase, though I made it to the final world, at least, before never returning to it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What do you guys think of my new sig btw :D

"As you move along in your life, keep an open mind and (don't forget) if you gotta do something, believe in yourself."
~unknown

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Please give credit as that quote is very known

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Can someone actually give me lyrics to the songs in Sonic CD because half of the time it sounds like gibberish and random words that make no sense

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Can someone actually give me lyrics to the songs in Sonic CD because half of the time it sounds like gibberish and random words that make no sense

You're hearing it right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

That is correct.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Excali-bar
It's not that far

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

Excali-bar
It's not that far

What'd you mean? Shake and bake! Shakeaddeadeg nevermore! Leather and lace, what do you get say? Fat chicks! Broom gloom, cosmic doom!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Evil Eagle posted:

Hey now, that's unfair! The disk makes a perfectly good drink coaster.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltbR9zj0Tuc

Tag yourself in the vid.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

It takes a very gifted mind to memorize the lyrics to every Sonic song. Luckily I have one.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

What'd you mean? Shake and bake! Shakeaddeadeg nevermore! Leather and lace, what do you get say? Fat chicks! Broom gloom, cosmic doom!
Yup, that's basically how it goes.

Kinda like how the boss music literally samples Xavier's "Work That Sucker to Death", while superimposing some weird poetry about an all-powerful Eggman along the lines of

The war began
The Earth trembled in fear
Bold, brainy and cold-hearted
The distance gets closer, little by little, wow
The power he possesses is incredible
He doesn't stand a chance!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah with that lovely final boss Robotnik definitely doesn't stand a chance all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

To be fair, that one just had weird opera music.

Also it sounded very NiGHTS-ish (I know, I know, the projects shared a composer or two). Which is probably why Sonic into Dreams went ahead and remixed the track for its Puffy-with-an-Eggman-skin boss fight.