Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

that is...not how the supreme court works

Yeah it is, people talk all the time about how " the Warren court was this way" or "the Berger court was that way". Historically his name is going to be the one people remember and blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

its strong evidence of collusion, meeting with a russian literally barred from the united states and only allowed to enter on parole to assist with a legal case against someone else who is in trouble based on sanctions against russia who are promising oppo dirt and are busy hacking your opponents who also want to discuss lifting sanctions on russia

:laffo: when you put it all in one sentence it looks even more hosed up than it is, which is saying quite a lot

Edit: Megapost updated

mdemone fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 10, 2017

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Glazier posted:

Yeah it is, people talk all the time about how " the Warren court was this way" or "the Berger court was that way". Historically his name is going to be the one people remember and blame.

This case would have come out the same way if it were the Ginsburg Court, so I'm not sure what your point is

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Vegetable posted:

is this illegal though

Logan act, the first very real and serious use of it.

quote:

The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that details the fine and/or imprisonment of unauthorized citizens who negotiate with foreign governments having a dispute with the United States.

This (among other reasons) is why collusion is bad and should be taken seriously. In 1799, the founding fathers basically said: this isn't what the united states is about or should ever be about, yo.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The debt ceiling discussion this autumn is going to be an even worse car crash than the last one. And I really thought it wouldn't be possible :psypop:

If the Freedom Caucus really screws with this, it would be spectacular in a very negative way.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

There Bias Two posted:

Did...did POTUS just threaten Congress?

Look, I hate Trump as much as anyone here, but this in no way reads like a threat to me. A criticsm, yes. But not a threat.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

The debt ceiling discussion this autumn is going to be an even worse car crash than the last one. And I really thought it wouldn't be possible :psypop:

If the Freedom Caucus really screws with this, it would be spectacular in a very negative way.

oh my god the conditions they imposed :stare:

quote:

The Freedom Caucus will offer three options:

The Lite (non-spending cut) option: a bill to change how the government pays its obligations so that there'd be no default, and more of the government can remain open in future fights over spending. The proposal would raise the debt ceiling by about $1.5 trillion. It would also restrict how much money the government can spend in the lead-up to the debt ceiling, and would direct the government to sell financial assets to pay down the debt. It would also, controversially, let the administration take back money agencies haven't spent, and use that money to pay down debt.

The Budget option: If leadership rejects option 1, the Freedom Caucus will likely demand that they attach the debt ceiling hike to a 2018 Budget bill, in exchange for at least $250 billion in cuts to mandatory spending. "Which would certainly making budget negotiations much more difficult," a Freedom Caucus source adds.

The health care option: try to attach the debt ceiling rise to a repeal-only health care bill. (This approach relies on the extremely unlikely scenario that Senate leader Mitch McConnell separates repeal and replace into two bills.)

I was wondering "How long until Republicans/Trump tank the economy because ideology" and welp looks like less than a year!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

farraday posted:

I'd let you. I'd let you rob a dozen banks to increase the reward for information leading to your arrest.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/884413462310420480
They are so incredibly stupid. Dems are not even in power and they are still committed to blowing everything up.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are so incredibly stupid. Dems are not even in power and they are still committed to blowing everything up.

I'm not sure what to say if you thought their nihilism was fueled by anything other than ideology, not hatred.

e: hatred of the status quo/current governing party that is

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Comedy option: Republicans have to ask the democrats to help them pass a clean budget again.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

FlamingLiberal posted:

Freedom Caucus is republican. Am I not getting the joke?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pepito sanchez posted:

Indefinite pronouns strike again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pepito sanchez posted:

He means freedom caucus for "they"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

pepito sanchez posted:

He meant that the FC is committed to blowing poo poo up even when the Dems aren't in power

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
My mistake!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

pepito sanchez posted:

HFC is ostensibly aligned with the republicans but their legislative agenda is sheer lunacy and they exist only to drag the Overton window to the right.

They need to be dealt with and one of the first thing dems need to do when they get power again is get rid of this debt ceiling nonsense.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ideological Purity at the altar of Our Saint Rand is a hell of a drug.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

Man I had to read this sentence like 3 times until I got what you meant.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

botany posted:

To be honest, both interpretations of that sentence are mostly to completely correct.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

botany posted:

loving glad I wasn't the only one getting confused.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

It's a Russian ceasefire. That means Russians and their allies get to do what they want, *and* to complain and call out a violation if their targets do anything to resist.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

OddObserver posted:

It's a Russian ceasefire. That means Russians and their allies get to do what they want, *and* to complain and call out a violation if their targets do anything to resist.

That's the Art of the Deal (tm) at work

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
So now that collusion's becoming more of a real thing, what are the odds Logan Act gets called on Trump (his campaign) this next week? It's never been prosecuted, but it's a test: Is the president above the law or not. How does this law from 217+ years ago even get interpreted in the modern day? It's fairly cut and dry: you can't get help from a foreign power this way while you're a private citizen.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Your Taint posted:

Look, I hate Trump as much as anyone here, but this in no way reads like a threat to me. A criticsm, yes. But not a threat.

Are you not familiar with passive aggressive soccer moms?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

pepito sanchez posted:

So now that collusion's becoming more of a real thing, what are the odds Logan Act gets called on Trump (his campaign) this next week? It's never been prosecuted, but it's a test: Is the president above the law or not. How does this law from 217+ years ago even get interpreted in the modern day? It's fairly cut and dry: you can't get help from a foreign power this way while you're a private citizen.

0. The odds are zero.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

FizFashizzle posted:

HFC is ostensibly aligned with the republicans but their legislative agenda is sheer lunacy and they exist only to drag the Overton window to the right.

They need to be dealt with and one of the first thing dems need to do when they get power again is get rid of this debt ceiling nonsense.

In the sense that conservatism as a political ideology needs to become about as acceptable as, well gently caress nazis are ok now, as nazis used to be, sure. That's not isolated to congress or the HFC though.

For the HFC, so far all they've done is scuttle a lot of evil poo poo for not being evil enough and force the GOP to compromise with democrats on things like the debt ceiling because the alternative is too dire even for the republicans. And if any of that changes, we're into well, the GOP has successfully destroyed America territory.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Logan Act says it is illegal for "unauthorized" citizens to collude, so Republicans can always claim that Manafort was authorized since he was campaign chair and therefore authorized by the man who is now POTUS and he was present at the meeting therefore

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

Logan Act says it is illegal for "unauthorized" citizens to collude, so Republicans can always claim that Manafort was authorized since he was campaign chair and therefore authorized by the man who is now POTUS and he was present at the meeting therefore

a presidential candidate can't authorize poo poo, any more than I can

however the logan act has never been enforced iirc and nobody's about to start

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/LemieuxLGM/status/884430622118346752

(personally I view this more as McConnell giving Cruz enough rope to hang his amendment without McConnell's fingerprints on it, not to hang the bill itself)

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

What if they agreed to whip Cruz for votes?

As an aside, a High School newspaper took the opportunity to call Mattis after his phone number was leaked and scored an interview.

So that's a thing that happened.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/884425245532336131

http://mihsislander.org/2017/06/full-transcript-james-mattis-interview/

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

You're telling me that being a former D&D mod doesn't give you special governmental powers? What bullshit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

You're telling me that being a former D&D mod doesn't give you special governmental powers? What bullshit

It gets you killed in Libya

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It gets you killed in Libya

I was chuckling sensibly and then you said that. :smith:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

:yikes:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Autism Sneaks posted:

No :chaostrump: this morning, just regular, predictable-as-the-setting-sun :smugdon:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/884375158294683648

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/884379436535107587

okay, maybe that last one wanders into :psyduck: territory, but lol of course he goes IF THIS WERE HILLARY AND CHELSEA

So he was worried about getting seatjacked...?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
This one guy tweeted the alphabet at Trump. I don't know why this is so funny to me.

https://twitter.com/TriviumPaolo/status/884364283760582656

https://twitter.com/TriviumPaolo/status/884365073703211008

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

farraday posted:

What if they agreed to whip Cruz for votes?

As an aside, a High School newspaper took the opportunity to call Mattis after his phone number was leaked and scored an interview.

So that's a thing that happened.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/884425245532336131

http://mihsislander.org/2017/06/full-transcript-james-mattis-interview/

Idiocy of the lead up aside, that is a pretty good interview. Never seen that sort of quality from high school newspapers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

farraday posted:

I'd let you. I'd let you rob a dozen banks to increase the reward for information leading to your arrest.

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/884413462310420480

No democrats should vote for a clean debt ceiling bill unless they get something in return.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/884441818372419585

Kushner taking his revenge on Qatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Again the obvious Republican stupid counter-argument: "If information can be retroactively classified, actions can be retroactively authorized! And GOD EMPEROR will do just that!"

quote:

Yep, this is another one of those things solidly in the "nothing matters" camp.

• Locked thread