Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You don't get it. The music doesn't have to be 'forced into the movie' in order to be pushed as a cross-platform consumer experience. I mean, the film itself mirrors a soundtrack's eclecticism by integrating an entire swath of contrasting genre conventions into its story. But that's not a strength, in my own humble, it's just schizoid.

Chase/heist/mafia/younglovecomedy/musical/revengehorror/chamberdrama/roadmovie. Am I forgetting anything in this narrative mashup? A Guardians of the Galaxy style mom-tape? Check.

Sorry, none of it stuck. Worth a watch, I suppose.

Fair enough. The original criticism just feels more cynical than I think it deserves. If the mixtape pace of the movie didn't work for you, no worries, it was just very deliberate and seemed to be a pure version if much of Wright's style rather than anything born from committee it even with cross promotion initially in mind. To me the cross promotion is more a result of Sony trying to figure out what to do with the movie rather than something the movie was built to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The issue and point he raises is that the soundtrack is basically the only thing the movie succeeds at. Everything else falls flat or completely nose dives 2/3s through the film. I'm being a bit harsh in response to the overwhelming praise, but I did still like it ok and thought it was a fun theater experience overall.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Howzabout Split and Okja.

Split (2015) dir. M. Night Shyamalan 5/10
Firstly, I think this is a great premise, in terms of a man with many different personalities holding a group of girls hostage. There are a couple of genuinely unsettling scenes, but the only scene where I genuinely felt any tension was the very first scene in the car. After that, it was pretty clear that the girls didn't have much hope of escaping and that McAvoy was pretty in control of the whole situation of course, until McAcoy lets one of them live at the end. There needed to be a finer balance of push-pull tension and more hope of the girls being crafty and escaping.

The stuff with the psychologist as well was just terrible breaking of the "show, don't tell" rules and I think she should have been completely excised from the movie which should have stayed with McAvoy in the girls for maximum claustrophobia. Then we could come to realise things about McAvoy through the eyes of Anya Taylor-Joy as more of an audience surrogate.

I don't especially mind the twist that the film is in the same universe as Unbreakable however I wish the "supernatural" reveal was handled a bit better, there's no real tension to the reveal as it's clearly inevitable and explained away pretty early on in the film so that when it happens it's not scary or surprising.

In short, a few key choices could have made this movie a lot more tense, and without that tension, I can't recommend it in good conscience.

Okja (2017) dir. Bong Joon Ho 8.5/10

This might be a nine out ten but I took off an extra half point because I didn't think the third act was overall as strong as the first two, but that's more so because the first two acts are so exceptionally well done that the tail looks somewhat weak in comparison (in comparison to many other films, the bottom end is still drat great). It's just that it couldn't beat itself.

If you've liked Bong Joon-ho's other films you'll like this one. The performances are all on point as is the direction. I loved the scrappiness of the action scenes like when Mija breaks into the facility. It's completely emotionally gripping. A lot of people are going to talk about this in terms of the "don't eat animals" themes but, more interestingly it's a critique of corporate hegemony and I loved the little details that underscore this postmodern malaise like the girl selfie-videoing Okja running through the store. One of the best parts of this movie is showing the power dynamics and chaacter relationships on both the corporate side and the animal liberation side. Look, this is on Netflix, most of you have it, watch this thing!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Peasant Women of Ryazan (1927, Olga Preobrazhenskaya) [Blu-Ray] - 3.5/5
It Came From Outer Space (1953, Jack Arnold) [Blu-Ray 3-D] - 3.5/5
The Wild Bunch (1969, Sam Peckinpah) [Blu-Ray] - 4.5/5
They Live By Night (1948, Nicholas Ray) [Blu-Ray] - 4.5/5
Princess Mononoke (1997, Hayao Miyazaki) [Blu-Ray] - 5/5
Strait-Jacket (1964, William Castle) [TCM DVR] - 4/5

Also, some shorts:
Manhatta (1921) [Blu-Ray]
Ballet Mécanique (1924) [Blu-Ray]
Anemic Cinema (1926) [Blu-Ray]
Perversion for Profit (1965) [TCM DVR]

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Wonder Woman 8/10
Blackfish 7/10
Jesus Camp 6/10
Homebound 8/10
Tarzan 2 2/10
Tarzan and Jane 5/10
Spy Who Came In From the Cold 7/10
Alien 7/10
Primal Fear 6/10
Spider-Man: Homecoming 9/10
Tom and Jerry: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 3/10
Tom and Jerry in the Wizard of Oz 1/10
Tom and Jerry: Back to Oz 7/10

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

First watched first, out of 5, rewatches italicized
The Love Witch 4
The Lobster 4.5
Ghost World 4
Gone Girl 4
GLOW: The Story Of The Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling 4
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared 2.5
I Am Not Your Negro 3
1776 5
Creed 4
Wise Blood 3
How To Steal A Million 3.5
My Cousin Vinny 3.5
48 Hours 4

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I hope one who sits through three Tom & Jerry movies is doing it for the kids. Though, I'd see the Shining one. :haw:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I Before E posted:

The Love Witch 4
How To Steal A Million 3.5
plz

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tom and Jerry has always been fuckin trash.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The best Tom & Jerry cartoons are the cheap Czech ones that Gene Deitch produced in the early 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaRSpRSz_Q

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

The best Tom & Jerry cartoons are the cheap Czech ones that Gene Deitch produced in the early 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaRSpRSz_Q

Wow, that actually has character to it. Looks weird with the heavy outlines but I could watch that.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

I hope one who sits through three Tom & Jerry movies is doing it for the kids. Though, I'd see the Shining one. :haw:

Try a Tom and Jerry marathon with various drunk friends

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, that actually has character to it. Looks weird with the heavy outlines but I could watch that.

They're more like 30s Fleischer cartoons than the overly pretty Hanna-Barbera stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWd2ZDRlj0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mMM4iEucEE

Don't get me started on the Chuck Jones cartoons.

Also, Gene Deitch won an Oscar for his 1960 cartoon, Munro, which was about a child being drafted to war. Pretty edgy considering the most "adult" animation at the time was The Flintstones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_cH8aDlHsE

and produced an 11 minute "animated" pitch reel of The Hobbit mainly to avoid losing the movie rights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnVL1Y2src

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wonder how many failed adaptations of The Hobbit there have been.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Cat Concerto is still great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Cat Concerto is still great.

It's thought to be a rip-off of Rhapsody Rabbit, which was released six months earlier by Warner Bros.

I think in recent years, researchers found that Rhapsody Rabbit was started, copyrighted, and completed first, while The Cat Concerto had a mysteriously rushed production because it was copyrighted earlier than the rest of the year's cartoons.

Also, Friz Freleng had produced an Oscar-nominated cartoon Rhapsody in Rivets in 1941 that used the same piece.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 10, 2017

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its been at least thirty six hours I'm still baffled that Tom and Jerry: Back to Oz was genuinely decent. Maybe it was because I watched it immediately after two extremely garbage T&Js, but it's a huge step up. Tom and Jerry barely show up except to remind you "this is a Tom and Jerry movie, here's some slapstick", the Oz characters have personality instead of speedrunning through the first movies plot, there's a whole fun series of events of the Oz trio bumbling in Kansas trying to find Dorothy, Jason Alexander does a wacky villain. If you took out all the Tom and Jerry characters, it would legit be a great Oz movie.

Weird.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Love Witch - 4 - I watched this with my mom, and throughout the whole thing she kept trying to guess Biller's intentions, at one point advancing the theory that it was meant as some sort of witch propaganda, so if you can watch with someone like that, do so. The 60s vibe is pitch perfect, especially the fashion, and that would be an achievement on its own, but the story hit a balance between being goofy and showing us the actual emotion behind her doomed search for love that kept it from becoming either too insubstantial or too leaden and serious.

How To Steal A Million - 3.5 - There's a lot to like here, especially the chemistry between O'Toole and Hepburn, but outside the centerpiece heist itself it's very slight, and watching Hepburn and O'Toole interact with Eli Wallach isn't nearly as interesting as when they play off each other.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Spiderman Homecoming: actually pretty well done, fits its narrative well within a world where superheroes are normalized, might be the first costume movie where the shared universe thing is believable. 4/5

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spider-Man Homecoming 4.5/5. Easily the best Spider-Man movie, and one of the best MCU movies overall. It features a Peter Parker that's actually a kid dealing with real kid issues, an intriguing villain, and a light sprinkling of Marvel Universe that's handled really well. Tom Holland and Michael Keaton both delivered. A great balance to the cosmic stuff (Guardians, Dr. Strange) that stays small and focused like Ant Man.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Okja's approach to animal welfare from a loving perspective, despite the made up CG creature, totally compels me more than the bitter and hate fueled approach of organisations like PETA. I'm very glad I ate a veggie stir-fry last night, despite being someone who tends to have a slab of meat with every dinner. 8/10

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Tokyo Drifter (1966, Dir.: Seijun Suzuki): 8/10
Get Out (2017): 8/10

Eraserhead (1977): 8/10
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992): 8/10
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me: The Three Hour Fanedit: 8/10
The Big Short (2015): 7/10
La La Land (2016): 7/10
Chaos on the Bridge (2016): 7/10
The Cheat (1915): 6/10
The Matrix (1999): 8/10
I haven't seen The Matrix probably since it came out, when I was 9 (yes you're old). I kind of forgot that like, drat it was actually a great movie. We've lived with 18 years of media copying its special effects and parodying its key scenes, but it's still just as fun to watch as it ever was. I was far more impressed watching it again than I thought I would be.

Branded to Kill (1967, Dir.: Seijun Suzuki): 7/10

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
What's the three hour fan edit?

Either way I'd love to hear your FWWM review.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
IIRC the fan edit takes some scenes from The Missing Pieces and edits them back into the film.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The fanedit is specifically this one by Q2: https://ifdb.fanedit.org/twin-peaks-fire-walk-with-me-teresa-banks-and-the-last-seven-days-of-laura-palmer/

It includes all of the original FWWM, along with all of the The Missing Pieces scenes (except for one with Cooper talking to an off-screen Diane).

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me has always felt to me like the cherry topping the Twin Peaks sundae.

The TV show opens with the cold discovery of the homecoming queen's brutally murdered body being discovered, but soon moves on to being both a parody and an upstaging of popular primetime soap operas of the time -- Lynch and Frost's outsider take on Falconcrest. It was always described to me as surreal and disturbing, when I finally watched the series with high hopes I was underwhelmed, expecting a TV show version of Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway, but instead receiving a primetime soap opera -- a well made and admittedly much more interesting take on one, but at its core still a soap opera concerned with the lives of everyday people in a small town.

FWWM broke from that mold like an axe taken to a TV, a simile I brazenly stole from the opening scene of the movie. Switching from an ensemble cast including an entire town as the show did, the film opens with only the investigation of Teresa Bank's death among the town of bizarro-Twin Peaks for the first act, before focusing on Laura Palmer's life and last days. The movie is dark and disturbing throughout, continuously building and atmosphere of dread as we move closer and closer to the deed itself. Sheryl Lee does an excellent job with the much extended time given to a living Laura Palmer (despite being a character in high school who looks about 30), the movie Donna is much better than the show's Donna, Ray Wise and Frank Silva are a great tag team villain exploring the depressing realities of child abuse and incest. The music is as perfect as anything else Badalamenti has done, and the cinematography is vivid and haunting. Fire Walk With Me distills all of the surreal and haunting imagery scattered throughout the TV show in to a single two hour long movie, delivering on every front as a disturbing and terrifying experience.

The three hour long (actually 3.5 hours) fanedit is well done, and makes another interesting movie. A few more of the dream-like red-room/convenience-store scenes are included that are great scenes which should have been in the original cut. A handful of the ensemble cast from the TV show have one-off scenes in the extended cut, some of them are interesting, but none of them have a good reason to have been included. The Palmers' home life is fleshed out with happy scenes where the family likes each other and no one is being scary, which anchors the storyline a bit in reality, but also takes away from the bite of Laura and Leland's relationship. And Annie has a scene or two thrown in to extend the (original) continuing plot of the end of the show.

The edit is done well and is a fine movie in itself, but I'm not sure the included scenes are enough to warrant a 3.5 hour long movie, and was definitely a hard sell to the studios. There are also a few spots where the original editing in scenes is weakened, namely I'm thinking of the scene after Leland and Mike have a run in at the intersection -- in the original cut Laura asks Leland if he is alright, and a moment is taken with a solo shot of Leland as he comes to terms with the situation; in the fanedit that moment is cut abruptly to move to a flashback involving him and Teresa Banks.

I would say the original cut is better, and makes for a better movie overall, but the fanedit is enough of an interesting experience overall that it is worth a watch.

edit: completely forgot to mention how weirdly panned it was on release. Metacritic has it at a 28 score for critics (7.9 for users), and rotten tomatoes has it at a more respectable but still odd 61% (78% audience score). I'm really not sure why the sentiment at the time was that it was a poor movie, or if both metacritic and also rotten tomatoes have terrible data on movies reviews from the early 90s

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 16, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Security - 6/10

Security stars Antonio Banderas, as a war vet on his first day at a new job working as a mall security guard. But when bad guys take out an FBI convoy with a key witness who takes shelter in his mall, he has to turn his motley crew of guards into a fighting force.

Basically, it's Home Alone: Lost in the Mall, except Banderas is Caulkin, and he has a wacky group of sidekicks, and in the end everyone learns a valuable lesson about life. There are huge plot holes and cobbled-together traps from the different stores in the mall. I'd watch this over Stephen Seagal an day.

edit: That said, it would've been a way cooler movie if the little girl had been running from a monster, or had been a trojan horse for a local group of cannibals or something.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 16, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Band-Aid: wow, this movie was real in a way you don't usually see. It was also really drat hysterical in parts, I saw it in a cute little artsy theater and we were all cracking up.
4/5

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ode To Billy Joe (1976): B/B+
The Winning of Barbara Worth (1927): B+

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Early Women Filmmakers (Blu-Ray):
All short films except for Le roi des aulnes and The Woman Condemned.

Le roi des aulnes (1931, Marie-Louise Iribe) - 3/5
Harlequin (1931, Lotte Reiniger) - 4/5
The Stolen Heart (1934, Lotte Reiniger) - 4/5
Papageno (1935, Lotte Reiniger) - 4/5
Night on Bald Mountain (1933, Claire Parker/Alexander Alexeieff) - 4.5/5
The Woman Condemned (1934, Dorothy Davenport) - 2/5
Day of Freedom (1935, Leni Riefenstahl) - 2.5/5
Parabola (1937, Mary Ellen Bute) - 3.5/5
Spook Sport (1939, Mary Ellen Bute) - 5/5
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943, Maya Deren/Alexander Hammid) - 4.5/5

Bunch of rewatches:

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966, Hal P. Warren) - 1/5 [Blu-Ray]
The Night of the Hunter (1955, Charles Laughton) - 5/5 [Blu-Ray]
A Hard Day's Night (1964, Richard Lester) - 5/5 [Blu-Ray]
The Running Jumping Standing Still Film (1959, Richard Lester) - 4/5 [Blu-Ray]
Cops (1922, Buster Keaton/Eddie Cline) - 5/5 [Blu-Ray]

The Great Outdoors
Aug 11, 2010
In

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

We

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God drat these reviews are getting low effort.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cybersex

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Movie 43 (2013): F

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And an F is being kind.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's worse than The Room in every measurable way.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

And an F is being kind.

It definitely is. Movie 43 is not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it was fundamentally unfunny and disgusting.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It definitely is. Movie 43 is not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it was fundamentally unfunny and disgusting.

That's funny, this is the exact same reaction I had after seeing Sausage Party.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Valerian (3D)
Visuals - 5/5 Amazing
Plot/Story - 3/5 Pacing was good but nothing groundbreaking
Action - 4/5 Fun
Acting - 2/5 Main characters sucked but supporting cast was okay.

Overall 3/5 - My wife and I both enjoyed it. If you want to see really beautiful 3D visuals or a popcorn sci-fi movie without expecting too much then go see it. If you want to see brilliant good better than poor acting or a deep plot then pass.

nelson fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Stalker (1979, Andrei Tarkovsky) - 4.5/5 [Blu-Ray]

I'm going to have to watch it again, but this is such an experiential film. Amazing.

The Green Slime (1968, Kinji Fukasaku) - 3/5 [TCM]

This has to be the goofiest sci-fi movie I've seen outside of 50s AIP. Dig the catchy (and slightly incongruous main title song).

Too Late for Tears (1949, Byron Haskin) - 4.5/5 [TCM]

Wow, this is a great noir. Never stops taking some surprise twists and turns.

Brainstorm (1983, Douglas Trumbull) - 2.5/5 [TCM]

This had a LOT of potential, considering the overall concept has endless possibilities. Whether it's because of the labored production (star Natalie Wood died during production) or whatever. Most disappointingly, the film works its way up to what's on a "mind tape" and you barely get anything until the last minute.

Twentieth Century (1934, Howard Hawks) - 4/5 [TCM]

A lesser known screwball comedy. As the TCM intro notes, it was released close to It Happened One Night (both even share the same opening titles music). John Barrymore and Carole Lombard are both hilarious. Not surprisingly, this is worth seeing. Hawks really could direct anything and a snappy Ben Hecht script doesn't hurt either.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 24, 2017