Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

shirts and skins posted:

I *think* this is the right thread for this? From the guy who does Breaking Madden, something completely insane and brilliant. Can't wait to see where it goes next. https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football/chapter-1

That was a pro loving click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chilichimp posted:

That was a pro loving click.

There's a whole lot of new web tricks going on with that sure that I hadn't seen before.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

shirts and skins posted:

I *think* this is the right thread for this? From the guy who does Breaking Madden, something completely insane and brilliant. Can't wait to see where it goes next. https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football/chapter-1

:stare:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

There's a whole lot of new web tricks going on with that sure that I hadn't seen before.

I started off like "pfff, what is this bullshit scrolling about"

but after like 2-3 minutes I couldn't scroll fast enough. I HAD TO KNOW!

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 8, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Jon Bois is a hidden treasure of the sportswriting world

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

If you guys like that you're gonna love George Saunders' short stories.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I just can't get into that whole story. It just keeps boring me enough to click away

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

I just can't get into that whole story. It just keeps boring me enough to click away

I've skipped a few of the long text dialogue sections. But the videos are great.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
This is the most bizarre thing I've read in ages

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
It doesn't fit in with the Tim Tebow Chronicles, so I don't know which to believe.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jon Bois is a hidden treasure of the sportswriting world

I want his Spotify playlist, the music is so soothing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CannonFodder posted:

I want his Spotify playlist, the music is so soothing.

You should watch the dumbest boy alive. The music in that one is dramatic af

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Everything Jon Bois does is great and I'm glad to see 17776 seems to be getting wider recognition

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Everything Jon Bois does is great and I'm glad to see 17776 seems to be getting wider recognition

Yeah, this is football art of the highest order.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It transcends football, hombre

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
its kind of freakishly popular on tumblr. It appears to have attracted the entire homestuck crew, which has....interesting consequences.

https://twitter.com/KatSmilodon/status/883794896032854016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

its kind of freakishly popular on tumblr. It appears to have attracted the entire homestuck crew, which has....interesting consequences.

https://twitter.com/KatSmilodon/status/883794896032854016

:perfect:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This is way late but I have to admit I'm proud of you for knowing about the Grode Jars. I think I even remember who made them up alerted us all to the menstrual blood within them. With your non-college football watching self.

I could let this turn into a rant but I'll just say I never understand people who love football but don't like college ball. Sure lots of games are boring, but lots of football games in general are boring. With so many college games going on every Saturday there are more games to have that random amazing bullshit we all love to happen in though. It isn't even necessarily obscure games, Les Miles having Andy Reid clock management skills but it working out for him (again and again) was amazing.

I suppose someone living in Texas could use this same argument to try to make me watch high school football and that won't happen unless a relative is playing, to be fair.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grittybeard posted:

I could let this turn into a rant but I'll just say I never understand people who love football but don't like college ball.

I like watching games with a functioning defense

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

It appears to have attracted the entire homestuck crew...

welp

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't watch college football because every game I watched seemed to be the Patriots vs the Browns.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like watching games with a functioning defense

I mentioned LSU directly in that post.

That's certainly the only reason they were ever relevant.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't watch college football because every game I watched seemed to be the Patriots vs the Browns.

The secret is to not sit down and watch a single game. You watch a game that's close and then look at a scoreboard site to see which games to check in on at the end, and I swear every week there is some insane gently caress off that could never happen ending.

Unless your own school is playing and you care, in which case you're obligated to stick with that to the end of course.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 10, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I mentioned LSU directly in that post.

That's certainly the only reason they were ever relevant.

Ah yes, the vaunted defensive prowess of an SEC team

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, imagine the college equivalent of Brian Schottenheimer + Jeff Fisher +...I don't know, Jared Goff running an offense. I didn't even realize we were sort of close to this happening when I started that thought.

LSU was worse than that offensively most years and still good.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
There are over 100 div 1 (or whatever it's called now) teams are you seriously going to argue none of them play good defense.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Metapod posted:

There are over 100 div 1 (or whatever it's called now) teams are you seriously going to argue none of them play good defense.

Yes

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

This is probably the dumbest thing you've ever said, ironic or not

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

a neat cape posted:

This is probably the dumbest thing you've ever said, ironic or not

Hold my beer

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mel, stop being a football snob.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hold my beer

Nah, I'll drink it though.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
College football seems very much like something you have to have been a part of in some way to really enjoy watching. I didn't go to a college that had a football team, nor did I grow up in a college football community, so as such I just don't give a poo poo about College ball.

The prospect of sitting at home all weekend watching football sounds terrible, I need at least one day to go outside and do things, so gently caress college, I don't care about any of the teams, I'll enjoy my sundays.

Grittybeard posted:

The secret is to not sit down and watch a single game. You watch a game that's close and then look at a scoreboard site to see which games to check in on at the end, and I swear every week there is some insane gently caress off that could never happen ending.

Unless your own school is playing and you care, in which case you're obligated to stick with that to the end of course.

So basically you self redzone it in a search to find something interesting. Eh. gently caress wild endings are great but the payoff doesn't feel as good if you dont watch the whole game before it. So much of college is just unwatchable, at least bad pro ball still feels like it has merit at times, and there are fewer games to flip between to find something worth seeing.

I respect and understand college ball, but it just doesn't do anything for me. The level of play is inferior, there are too many teams to keep track of so the stakes are typically unclear, and only a few of the players will be recognizable names, so there just isn't any connection for me to really grab a hold of and enjoy on a regular basis.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Febreeze posted:

I respect and understand college ball, but it just doesn't do anything for me. The level of play is inferior, there are too many teams to keep track of so the stakes are typically unclear, and only a few of the players will be recognizable names, so there just isn't any connection for me to really grab a hold of and enjoy on a regular basis.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on college football exactly. I did not go to college, so I don't have any rooting interest or affiliation with any team, and the times I have tried to get into college football I will see some guy run for 500 yards in a game or on the flip side throw for 37 yards in a game and it just seems like wasted time.

Granted, I have found myself watching more college ball of late during the playoffs and the level of play is greater there than I have ever seen so it's watchable-ish now, but I much prefer the NFL.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Febreeze posted:

College football seems very much like something you have to have been a part of in some way to really enjoy watching. I didn't go to a college that had a football team, nor did I grow up in a college football community, so as such I just don't give a poo poo about College ball.

The prospect of sitting at home all weekend watching football sounds terrible, I need at least one day to go outside and do things, so gently caress college, I don't care about any of the teams, I'll enjoy my sundays.

So basically you self redzone it in a search to find something interesting. Eh. gently caress wild endings are great but the payoff doesn't feel as good if you dont watch the whole game before it. So much of college is just unwatchable, at least bad pro ball still feels like it has merit at times, and there are fewer games to flip between to find something worth seeing.

It goes to fandom as well, if you root for an NFL team then there's a decent chance any other random NFL game has some bearing on your team, somehow. With 10,000 college teams that's pretty unlikely, plus all the stuff about play quality and the like.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Grittybeard posted:

do i have to

Also, gently caress defense. One of the most glorious moments every football year is the annual 6OT Big XII game that's just K-State running QB draws for twenty yards at a time or Okie State bombing down half the field and it nearly always ends in a situation that prevents the conference from getting into the playoffs. That, and Alabama occasionally losing, are the essence of fun football.

The rest is poo poo.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Big12 is the best yes

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

College football is great when you work at a place with TVs all over and you want an excuse to not put cable news channels on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I'm not sure if I'm in much of a better place than you are this year on this point. I'm terrified Mizzou is about to tank, just hopefully not to Kansas the last few years levels.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I've never been able to sit down and watch college football and get into it, but going to the games is fun.

UMASS made a terrible deal with Gillette stadium so I was able to go to a bunch of games and sit on the 50 in the front row for $20 which is pretty great even if the on field show is atrocious, and the handful of UCONN and BC games I've been to were fun in much the same way going to see the Pawtucket Redsox was as a kid.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

weird Asian candy posted:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on college football exactly. I did not go to college, so I don't have any rooting interest or affiliation with any team, and the times I have tried to get into college football I will see some guy run for 500 yards in a game or on the flip side throw for 37 yards in a game and it just seems like wasted time.

Granted, I have found myself watching more college ball of late during the playoffs and the level of play is greater there than I have ever seen so it's watchable-ish now, but I much prefer the NFL.

The playoffs of every sport are great, because even as a casual fan the stakes are clear and the drama is high. It's easy to get invested, even if the games suck.

For a regular reason though, the suck and the amount of sucking going on just dilutes the fun unless you're a big time fan

Probably Magic posted:

Also, gently caress defense. One of the most glorious moments every football year is the annual 6OT Big XII game that's just K-State running QB draws for twenty yards at a time or Okie State bombing down half the field and it nearly always ends in a situation that prevents the conference from getting into the playoffs. That, and Alabama occasionally losing, are the essence of fun football.

I like no defense when both teams can score at will, but in college it's typically just one team steamrolling the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Febreeze posted:

I like no defense when both teams can score at will, but in college it's typically just one team steamrolling the other

I'd advise checking out Texas Tech before dreamboat and very comic worthy coach Kliff Kinsgbury is fired. His offense is great, his defense is just as bad.

Also that is just a handsome man.

• Locked thread