Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Wheany posted:

oh yeah and i read about color spaces and this fukken chart:

see those numbers along the edge of the "horse shoe"?

those are the wavelengths of monochromatic light at that point. it's physically impossible to go outside that colored area. like i thought that maybe we just don't have good enough leds or whatever to make a monitor that uses some kind of "hyper RGB" primaries to show the whole color gamut.

because our imperfect meatbag eyes have cone cells that respond to light wavelenghts like this:

to go "outside the horse shoe", there would have to be a color that stimulates the red cone and "negatively stimulates" the green one, for example. in the xyz color space the math works and you can use physically impossible colors (that horse shoe graph shows an x-y plane)

to be fair you can do that

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pagancow posted:

No, I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can't get no UHD
Hanging with his 8 bit pirate
Of his best friend's TN ride
Trying to stream TV

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

no alternative to vlc. vlc is best

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
nice meltdown

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the thing about vlc is that it's the only thing linux users have lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as i continue to only ever watch movies on airplane seatback monitors i now and then lend the people like pagancow a though, who did the fantastic job of carefully formatting and reencoding the movie for this high-tech device

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as i continue to only ever watch movies on airplane seatback monitors i now and then lend the people like pagancow a though, who did the fantastic job of carefully formatting and reencoding the movie for this high-tech device

my new codec is "glare from the resistive touch screen plastic overlay"-aware and its called BOEOEOEOING-69

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
ages back i read a really good, long blogpost on the issues with wavelet image/video compression + why it hasn't really gone anywhere. can't find it now - anyone got a link?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

akadajet posted:

the thing about vlc is that it's the only thing linux users have lol

they have mplayer

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vlc is good though. it's got all the codecs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

vlc is good though. it's got all the codecs

every decent media player is just a gui over ffmpeg

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does Linux support sound yet?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

coffeetable posted:

ages back i read a really good, long blogpost on the issues with wavelet image/video compression + why it hasn't really gone anywhere. can't find it now - anyone got a link?

i would also be interested in this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i encoded a file in h265 and this happened!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

fun fact! as recently as a few years ago some airlines were still distributing in-flight movies on analog videotape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdObeF9VHiA&t=748s

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 10, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr.Radar posted:

fun fact! as recently as a few years ago some airlines were still distributing in-flight movies on analog videotape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdObeF9VHiA&t=748s

well yeah, their all-passengers projectors were for sd quality only, and their in seat lcds often weren't even high enough pixel count to display full SD.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

pagancow do u have any opinions about ATSC and/or the number 29.97

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Bulgakov posted:

hell yeah model names

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Lutha Mahtin posted:

pagancow do u have any opinions about ATSC and/or the number 29.97

yep

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:frogon:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

29.97 isnt 30, and ATSC is better quality than cable/satellite

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the number 29.97

love too have non-representable timecodes

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
29.97, like most things in broadcasting is a 50 year old hack that we're stuck with because legacy

this is also why interlace and overscan is a thing, but that least those are going away now

what i don't get is why european broadcasters who show american 24p content do pal speedup without pitch correction, i get that it was hard to do until the 90s but these days a washing machine processor can do that poo poo in real time

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

longview posted:

29.97, like most things in broadcasting is a 50 year old hack that we're stuck with because legacy

this is also why interlace and overscan is a thing, but that least those are going away now

what i don't get is why european broadcasters who show american 24p content do pal speedup without pitch correction, i get that it was hard to do until the 90s but these days a washing machine processor can do that poo poo in real time

i'm sure if they tried to fix it they'd get angry old people calling them and complaining the sound doesn't sound right or w/e

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

longview posted:

the deep secret here is that human perception adapts very easily to consistent errors like that

it is why hd was a success, and hdr likely will be as well, while actually having colors anything approaching calibrated remains a completely irrelevant matter (for everyone but the guy establishing the baseline to keep it consistent). more information makes things better, the information being systematically off is not important.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

longview posted:

if they're anything like the brits, where "high budget" means anything that isn't a pack of d-bags sitting behind a panel for half an hour, then they probably don't have the money for a loving washing machine processor

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

it would be harder to seperate the newbs from the real codec warriors if integer framerates were all that existed, so its a bad thing

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

hey pagancow there's a new smiley just for you: :rgb:

by the way, whoever pointed out that davinci resolve is free, thanks because it's really great tool

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

your welcome

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ITS NOT YUV!!!!!!!!@#!@#

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
pagancow seems a lot more chill suddenly. did you get another absurdly expensive piece of glass or sth

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
maybe he lost his very cheap piece of glass

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
what is the best tv

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

iMac

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

suffix posted:

what is the best tv

sony trinitron

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

suffix posted:

what is the best tv

whatever is on display at best buy

like, the actual demo units, those ones are perfectly calibrated for color accuracy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

suffix posted:

what is the best tv

lg oled

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Pioneer Kuro Plasma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

suffix posted:

what is the best tv

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/licensing/apply-license-professional.aspx

pros only get in line biyetch

• Locked thread