Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Castlevania should have just been billed as a movie or something. 4 short episodes was a letdown, it’s not bad but I’m only familiar with the old nes games and it was over before it really seemed to get started. Nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone watched The Last Tycoon on Amazon yet? It's got Matt Bomer (Neil from White Collar) and Kelsey Grammar in it. I know effectively nothing else about it but I like both of these dudes and was thinking of checking it out. I only saw it on my FireTVs header late last night.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Castlevania should have just been billed as a movie or something. 4 short episodes was a letdown, it’s not bad but I’m only familiar with the old nes games and it was over before it really seemed to get started. Nothing happened.

Even the old NES games have more human on monster violence in the first level that those two hours did ):

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Re: Castlevania

On the one hand, I'm thrilled when someone has free license to take an IP and run with it. American Gods, while...a bit underwhelming at times during its first season, was a refreshing change of pace after so many by-the-numbers "series inspired by [other work]."

On the other hand, American Gods (the series) manages to be engaging and interesting, all the while straying pretty darn far from the story in the novel.

I'm not even sure what the hell they're going for, but I've bailed wholesale. It seems like it should be a cakewalk (especially considering the medium): a cursed vampire-hunting badass walks into Dracula's castle and wrecks the absolute poo poo out of spirits, monsters, ghouls, mummies, etc. for a half hour at a time. How do you screw that up? The story pretty much writes itself, and you get the benefit of being able to draw upon famous mythological creatures that are firmly in the public domain like Frankenstein's Monster. How do you mess that up?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You mess it up by tying it to one of the most over-written and inbred franchises out there. You've gotta remember that Castlevania was begun back in the days when naming a character "Alucard" deserved you spoilering that it's actually DRACULA spelled backwards!

Most of the stories for most of the Castlevania games are incomprehensible garbage though. They throw a new Belmont in, add in Dracula's son and some other subcharacters, and then it's just a vehicle for you dodging vampire bats and whipping candles and using crosses as boomerangs. I'm sure there's a manga for it, which is mainly filled with darkly brooding male heart-throbs, who pensively brood, darkly. A lot.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Jul 11, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
There was a story? I thought it was run through the castle and kill everything.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

You mess it up by tying it to one of the most over-written and inbred franchises out there. You've gotta remember that Castlevania was begun back in the days when naming a character "Alucard" deserved you spoilering that it's actually DRACULA spelled backwards!

Most of the stories for most of the Castlevania games are incomprehensible garbage though. They throw a new Belmont in, add in Dracula's son and some other subcharacters, and then it's just a vehicle for you dodging vampire bats and whipping candles and using crosses as boomerangs. I'm sure there's a manga for it, which is mainly filled with darkly brooding male heart-throbs, who pensively brood, darkly. A lot.

Vampire Hunter D?

Anyways if you want a good show with Frankensteins, wolfs man, mummies and Draculas watch Penny Dreadful.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

coyo7e posted:

I knew that comparison would bite me in the rear end.

But really, the story was laid out pretty darn well in the original NES title: Dracula is a bad dude and comes back to life to ruin poo poo once every 100 years and a Belmont is the only one who can put him in his place. And Belmont uses a whip. That's pretty much it.

It seems like a writer's dream come true--because he's an evil villain mastermind, Dracula puts tons of supernatural guards in his castle to thwart Belmont's efforts, but after slaying the monster-of-the-week once an episode for most of a season, it's time for the final showdown in a two-part season finale where Belmont owns the poo poo out of Dracula and everything is fine until oh crap during the credits you see his remaining minions gathering parts of his dead body for some nefarious purpose. Boom, season two is ready to go.

But yeah I'm almost positive without even looking that there's a manga out there it's based on and it's broody and dark as hell

syscall girl posted:

Anyways if you want a good show with Frankensteins, wolfs man, mummies and Draculas watch Penny Dreadful.

Penny Dreadful was...surprisingly good. I think my perception might be colored, though, by the fact that Mrs. Fai marathoned loving Hemlock Grove right before we watched it. Guddrat that poo poo is the worst.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Castlevania is based on a direct-to-DVD project that Warren Ellis wanted to do. It's likely that the 1st season is like, the first 1/3 of the script/movie. I think it would've been truly godawful if it was just people running around and slicing monsters with no characterization or over-arching story. You can go watch EPIC FLASH BATEL on youtube if that's really what you want.

It is completely ridiculous that Netflix only gave the go ahead for 4 episodes though. They would have been much better of releasing it OVA style with one slightly longer episode.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Why do my wife and I really like Haters Back Off? Everything about that show should be an instant turn-off but it's really enjoyable. Wasn't expecting the end to be what it was. That was good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I liked castlevania but it definitely felt like an incomplete season. It's hardly even a story as it stands but I liked what is there well enough to assume that the 8 episodes coming next year will be the last 2/3rds of the season that should have just been here now.

There weren't enough monster fights but that wouldn't be a problem if it was just the intro to a season. As well, the monster fights that were included I thougth were pretty good.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah Castlevania definitely felt like the first arc of a larger series. With eight more episodes coming down the pipe things should be better.

I actually kind of liked the first season but it did drag and liger on some things over long. Yes I get it Trevor is reluctant and drunk. Okay cool the priests are dicks. The introductory bits with Dracula were cool though, he felt like an actual threat instead of a dude that sits in a castle all day.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oldstench posted:

Why do my wife and I really like Haters Back Off? Everything about that show should be an instant turn-off but it's really enjoyable. Wasn't expecting the end to be what it was. That was good.
I'll tell you why - because it's loving hilarious. I get what you're saying, it's also pretty cringeworthy but the gags make up for it tenfold.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

I'll tell you why - because it's loving hilarious. I get what you're saying, it's also pretty cringeworthy but the gags make up for it tenfold.

It's great all the way through but it takes a real turn towards the end.

At this rate I expect Uncle Rico will to try to molest Miranda in the second season.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
It's because of this thread that I gave Haters Back Off a chance and it was so much better than I thought it would be. Also, I probably would have turned off Okja if it weren't for Gotta Stay Fai's recommendation/review.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

jodai posted:

Also, I probably would have turned off Okja if it weren't for Gotta Stay Fai's recommendation/review.

Mrs. Fai and I have a "five minute rule" for streaming content that we've never seen before. At any point during the show/movie, either of us can say "okay, this has five minutes and if it doesn't get good, we're done." I invoked it the first time we tried to watch it, then rolled my eyes and after five minutes said "Yeah okay, kid movie: she saves the animal friend. Whatever, let's watch something else now"

Holy poo poo am I glad she resumed it after I shut it off, even if it was only because we wanted background noise while we were doing household chores.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Five minute rule for a show is insane. The worst season of most great comedies is the first, and the worst episode of that is usually the pilot

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Mrs. Fai and I have a "five minute rule" for streaming content that we've never seen before. At any point during the show/movie, either of us can say "okay, this has five minutes and if it doesn't get good, we're done." I invoked it the first time we tried to watch it, then rolled my eyes and after five minutes said "Yeah okay, kid movie: she saves the animal friend. Whatever, let's watch something else now"

Holy poo poo am I glad she resumed it after I shut it off, even if it was only because we wanted background noise while we were doing household chores.

drat, you are missing a lot by doing that. :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

theflyingexecutive posted:

Five minute rule for a show is insane. The worst season of most great comedies is the first, and the worst episode of that is usually the pilot

Yeah, unless the pilot is unwatchably bad, I usually give pilots that I don't like one or two more episodes before writing it off.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, it's definitely a great rule if you want to miss out on some of the best shows and movies out there. I mean, you don't need to watch everything but drat. Also a lot of weak shows start off strong.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The pilot is the most important episode. If they gently caress it up, it's doubly stupid. I'm trying to think of a show with a bad pilot that turned into a good show and am failing. Now there are shows that were rough but had potential and turned things around, like Justified, but it wasn't bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I stick to the one episode rule on anime, especially stuff that Netflix does. Knights of Sydonia's first episode was incomprehensible junk so I never bothered going further.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arcsquad12 posted:

I stick to the one episode rule on anime, especially stuff that Netflix does. Knights of Sydonia's first episode was incomprehensible junk so I never bothered going further.

I stick to the no episode rule when it comes to anime

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well he did say they can invoke the rule at any point in the program. I kind of doubt they're using it at the opening credits. I mean yeah, sure, pilot episodes and sometimes entire first seasons are mediocre but turn out spectacular, but if you're like 45 minutes into a movie and it's not at all entertaining I could understand giving it an ultimatum. 5 minutes seems a little short for a major change of heart, but I get the idea of it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm late to the party but I'm 4 episodes into Glow and I'm really liking it. The girl I'm probably supposed to hate is my favorite thus far.

There's drugs in the loving robot?!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'll be the first one to admit that we are missing out on some good stuff. We don't have a lot of free time to spend watching TV together (part of being an adult or whatever grown-rear end people do), so we try to make it count. Flawed strategy? Yeah. Sometimes stuff falls through the cracks, and hopefully we end up coming back to it during the weekend.

But, hey, we were definitely reminded that you can't judge something based on the first episode/fifteen minutes. It's not like we use it as an iron-clad rule for everything we watch, but when we do have time to spend, we try to do our best to make sure we're not wasting it by watching garbage.

Pilots, though, get a pass. Holy moley, go back and watch the pilot for Scrubs and then compare it to even the next two or three episodes. The difference is ridiculous, and we'd have been idiots to have bailed that early.

Arcsquad12 posted:

You didn't miss much. It was...okay. Definitely weird and it's a horrible dub (hello again same old localization voice actors!) but, eh, I might watch more of it if they decide to continue. At least the finale of the first season was kind of cool.

edit:

Inspector 34 posted:

Well he did say they can invoke the rule at any point in the program. I kind of doubt they're using it at the opening credits. I mean yeah, sure, pilot episodes and sometimes entire first seasons are mediocre but turn out spectacular, but if you're like 45 minutes into a movie and it's not at all entertaining I could understand giving it an ultimatum. 5 minutes seems a little short for a major change of heart, but I get the idea of it.

Yeah, maybe I was a little unclear. Not five minutes in, but at some point one of us says "gently caress this I'm out" and we watch for five more minutes to give it a chance to turn around. We watched The Great Wall for nearly an hour before I couldn't bear it anymore. No point in finishing the drat thing if you think it's awful. Thankfully, Mrs. Fai agreed and we moved on to something else.

matt damon i trusted you man you were jason bourne what happened

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Jul 12, 2017

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, maybe I was a little unclear. Not five minutes in, but at some point one of us says "gently caress this I'm out" and we watch for five more minutes to give it a chance to turn around. We watched The Great Wall for nearly an hour before I couldn't bear it anymore. No point in finishing the drat thing if you think it's awful. Thankfully, Mrs. Fai agreed and we moved on to something else.

matt damon i trusted you man you were jason bourne what happened

I went to see that movie at a theatre:smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zhang Yimou is a very hit and miss director, and crossing over with Hollywood really saps The Great Wall of his usual style.

Does anyone know where I can stream The Expanse legally in Canada? I've got a friend who is big into sf shows but he doesn't have the Space Channel.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Rolo posted:

I'm late to the party but I'm 4 episodes into Glow and I'm really liking it. The girl I'm probably supposed to hate is my favorite thus far.

Glow is really good.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Rolo posted:

The best part of that show is that you really don't end up hating anyone. Eventually everyone on the show does something redeemable for themselves.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Just watched Burn After Reading for the first time (on Netflix). It was definitely cool and good. The cast is amazing, and the personalities of all of the characters are super unique, it really makes the movie. I'm going to rewatch once or twice in the next few months, I'm sure there are some subtleties that I didn't pick up on.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

om nom nom posted:

Just watched Burn After Reading for the first time (on Netflix). It was definitely cool and good. The cast is amazing, and the personalities of all of the characters are super unique, it really makes the movie. I'm going to rewatch once or twice in the next few months, I'm sure there are some subtleties that I didn't pick up on.

Yea, it's great, very underrated Coen Bros. movie I think.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Castlevania, it's a very funny show with competent writing and excellent fight scenes. The over the top gore, somewhat dark (BUT EXTREMELY CAMPY) characters balance out well with what the series is trying to do. They're also trying their best with the source material, and I enjoy it so much. My girlfriend and I got back into anime after this one, because it was just that good. I know a lot of you guys are down on it, but I think the first 4 episodes are just a taste of what's to come, and it's just so perfectly executed that I'm ecstatic with it.

e: I think something you have to pick up on pretty quick is that it's %100 intended to be a gallows humor comedy. If you pick up on that right at the beginning, you're going to be laughing a lot through it, which I thought was brilliant giving the kind of IP Castlevania is.

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Jul 13, 2017

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea, it's great, very underrated Coen Bros. movie I think.

Despite loving most of the Coen Brothers work, I personally didn't care for it. Still think The Man Who Wasn't There doesn't get enough attention though.

E. Autocorrect

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I Brake For MILFs posted:

The best part of that show is that you really don't end up hating anyone. Eventually everyone on the show does something redeemable for themselves.

"It's not dog years, it's wolf years, we looked it up!"

:3:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Turtlicious posted:

I like Castlevania, it's a very funny show with competent writing and excellent fight scenes. The over the top gore, somewhat dark (BUT EXTREMELY CAMPY) characters balance out well with what the series is trying to do. They're also trying their best with the source material, and I enjoy it so much. My girlfriend and I got back into anime after this one, because it was just that good. I know a lot of you guys are down on it, but I think the first 4 episodes are just a taste of what's to come, and it's just so perfectly executed that I'm ecstatic with it.

e: I think something you have to pick up on pretty quick is that it's %100 intended to be a gallows humor comedy. If you pick up on that right at the beginning, you're going to be laughing a lot through it, which I thought was brilliant giving the kind of IP Castlevania is.

Yeah - the whole series was written by Warren Ellis, and it really shows. I like it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I started watching Release the Hounds last night and it's my favorite show now. Just pure Schadenfreude

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

1redflag posted:

Despite loving most of the Coen Brothers work, I personally didn't care for it. Still think The Man Who Wasn't There doesn't get enough attention though.

E. Autocorrect

Yeah, you can tell who hasn't seen The Man Who Wasn't There by how they react to Fargo S2.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Retro Futurist posted:

I started watching Release the Hounds last night and it's my favorite show now. Just pure Schadenfreude

I want more horror game shows. They're the best.
Initially I had skipped this because, for some reason, I thought the dogs may be in some form of danger.
Now I've seen most of the series and I love seeing posh deep-V idiots get chomped by a pack of loveable hounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Penny Dreadful was...surprisingly good. I think my perception might be colored, though, by the fact that Mrs. Fai marathoned loving Hemlock Grove right before we watched it. Guddrat that poo poo is the worst.
Penny Dreadful was fun and solid until the final season, when they clearly had to throw everything into a bucket and then cement it into closure. It reminds me of Sliders, where it started off awesome but went off the rails a bit as it went. Also the dude.