Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was going to say isn't the general consensus in this thread that the live shows are really good now? I think they just need content for the patreon thingy which is fair enough given how much free stuff there already is available.

I was thinking about this the other day. I've been listening to uyd for years and there is still a huge chunk of the middle episodes that I haven't got round to listening to yet. What is the easiest way to get them?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Jippa posted:

I was going top say isn't the general consensus in this thread that the live shows are really good now? I think they just need content for the patreon thingy which is fair enough given how much free stuff there already is available.

I was thinking about this the other day. I've been listening to uyd for years and there is still a huge chunk of the middle episodes that I haven't got round to listening to yet. What is the easiest way to get them?

Voila

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Perfect thanks.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

http://archive.uhhyeahdu.de/episodes.rss?all_episodes=true there's a feed for that too

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

Does anyone have that Facebook video of Seth doing the Celebrity Name Game firefighter voiceover? Someone took his audio and put it over the video. I've tried googling it and can't find anything.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

H A T T A M posted:

Does anyone have that Facebook video of Seth doing the Celebrity Name Game firefighter voiceover? Someone took his audio and put it over the video. I've tried googling it and can't find anything.

Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/billyd/videos/10103847682006293/

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Johnathan ranting on Facebook on the backlash to the patreon

quote:

I think people are missing the point with all this. Or certainly the one I am trying to focus on. First let me start off with a few facts. For starters we make less money on Patreon now than we did n the first year although we have a few hundred more patrons Our listenership however has nearly doubled in the two years since launching patreon and yet we make less money per month. Did you read that ?Twice as many people listening with no financial gain. Going by current cost per thousand rates we could be netting 3 to 4 times per month what we make on Patreon if we were to run ads. The reason we don't do it is because it's wack i.e. not cool. and also a wack ineffective model period. Mind you there are also two of us. That all loving being said the point was to remove the live episodes from the feed because they are becoming too many and too frequent. Many of my close friends who listen have expressed that they don't listen to them or do like them as much etc. I also feel a bit iffy about them as I believe they are much more funny and enjoyable when experienced there in the moment as opposed to only listening to them after the fact. It's not a ploy to get more money from you. To be honest there are better routes to take if that was our main focus. The point is to improve and maintain the consistency of the show and it's general vibe. I worry about new listeners hearing the show for the first time and it being a live show. While I don't think they are "garbage" as one listener so kindly put it. I do think they can sometimes lack whatever it is Seth and I have in the apt. together. I'm not asking people to up their pledge. Thank you to the people who do/have but it's not necessary and it's silly to do to try and make up for the people who don't. Literally the fraction of people who donate is minuscule and that's just the truth of the world. If I can incentivize more people to pledge by making more things only available behind the Patreon curtain then it is our right to do so. It should be clear however that the goal was to improve the overall quality and constnecy of our product and not to punish listeners. So yeah, Fuk outta here with that. J.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

I'm behind on episodes so I haven't heard what's going on — are the live episodes being put behind a paywall, or are they being removed from public completely?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

oshuaj posted:

I'm behind on episodes so I haven't heard what's going on — are the live episodes being put behind a paywall, or are they being removed from public completely?

I'm also behind, but I think the live eps are being paywalled/patreon'd

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

lol @ UYD finally doing episodes exclusive to the Patreon, but not as like a planned reward tier, it's just because someone convinced Jonathan that the live episodes aren't good and they shouldn't be in the main feed

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Live shows are far & beyond more energetic and funny than studio ones nowadays imo. Sure the crowd can be loud sometimes, but whatever, I think they're really good

Like no live show is going to devolve into whatever the gently caress nightmare the last half hour of 581 was

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

flesh dance posted:

Live shows are far & beyond more energetic and funny than studio ones nowadays imo. Sure the crowd can be loud sometimes, but whatever, I think they're really good

Like no live show is going to devolve into whatever the gently caress nightmare the last half hour of 581 was

I think the earlier live shows were definitely worse. They were very nervous. The recent live ones have been just as good as non-live though, it's moronic to hide them.

I'm assuming 581 was the one with them talking for 30 minutes and saying absolutely nothing interesting or funny about transgender soldiers, right? That was pretty bad, but it isn't the first time it's happened, Johnathan has done it dozens of times. He just isn't a good extemporaneous speaker, his deep thoughts are way less interesting than he thinks they are. What's worse is he'll frequently start a new thought with something like "The thing about it is...", forcing me to decide whether I want to rewind 5-10 minutes to figure out what the gently caress "it" is.

They need to stick to the cards, and stick to comedy. They shouldn't make 90 minute shows unless they can actually make 90 minutes of quality content.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
pay for patreon if you want the live episodes so bad you cheap fucks

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Edit out all of Jonathan's misinformed musings and put that behind the pay wall.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
581 was basically an episode where Jah used the podcast as a platform to say he was with the LGBT community and respond to people that call him insensitive and a jerk. I'm with him.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Odddzy posted:

581 was basically an episode where Jah used the podcast as a platform to say he was with the LGBT community and respond to people that call him insensitive and a jerk. I'm with him.

Did he need 24 minutes to do that? Anyway it's always been clear to me that Jah has a good heart, he's not a bigot, just bad at expressing himself.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

:agreed:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Edit: Ignore this, I have bad reading comprehension.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 10, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I listen to the show because because they're funny, not because their opinions are correct or good. They are really funny guys with good chemistry and comedic timing but the truth is theyre both kind of dumb and they have a really naive narrow view of the world. Seth in particular is totally clueless and immature about anything that isn't movies or stupid TV shows.

But that's part of what makes the show good.

That being said, I'm glad their listenership has gone up, but kinda a shame the patreon donations haven't. I got no problem with them putting certain episodes behind the paywall. For crying out loud it's their show they could make it all subscription only. They've been putting out hundreds of hours of really good content for over a decade completely free!

That being said, here would be my suggestions to the boys:

1. Go back to 60 minute episodes. Keep them snappy and fast moving like the early days.
2. Only do two episodes per week occasionally.
3. Keep the live shows in the free feed and as a numbered episode.
4. Keep putting up "bonus" content for subscribers only.

Bonus content ideas:

A. Filmed video of the live shows. Doesn't have to be edited or multiple cameras or anything, just stick a camera up and let 'er roll. I've never been able to go to a live show and would love to be able to watch it.
B. Jonathans music mixes.
C. Film episodes in the apartment ever once in a while. People would go hog wild for this.
D. Seth Tour guide vids. Film Seth going to an off beat location in LA and talking about it.
E. Any "off format" episodes could go behind paywall. The recent single topic ones, or the Jonathan's short stories episode are good examples.

Just running some ideas off and blasting g them out into the void

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I definitely agree with sticking to 60 minutes per episode, I start to lose track of poo poo when a podcast goes longer than that without some sort of pre-determined structure or narrative.

I also agree with one ep a week as opposed to two but I think they're going back in that direction.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Everything Jonathan said in his "rant" is true though. The fact people have been listening to this show for free for 10+ years and are getting indignant because a few episodes a year are going behind a paywall is pathetic. Nearly every Patreon model operates on having a extra content for people who pledge. TBH I loathe ads but if those figures are true and this is how the "fans" react I'd rather them do SquareSpace reads and ditch the Patreon. Personally I think the live episodes are extremely hit or miss and I think that the good ones are still not a good introduction to the show. It makes sense that those could be a Patreon thing.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I wonder who told Jonathan the live shows aren't good. I happen to enjoy them

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Up until a couple years ago Seth was super nervous seeming during live shows. His voice would tremble sometimes and he just seemed off. But he has totally gotten over that and seems to really enjoy the live shows now. Really feeds of the energy and excitement of the crowd. Jonathan has always been great for live shows as he is just more of a natural performer.

Sure the live shows don't have the same "feel" as the apartment ones, but they are still really good. I especially like when they do old fan favorite segments like hip hop / country and such.

To me the main issue with the live shows is they seem to run out of steam about 45 minutes in. Jonathan starts saying things like "OK let's get the gently caress off this stage" etc. Usually this happens after they get reprimanded or booed for something. It really seems to bum them out and it always kills the whole vibe of the show.

It's hard for me to imagine being a fan of the show, paying to come to a live taping, and then loving booing when Jonathan says "Jap car"

Another thing that hurts the live shows is when they try to do cards that have a heavy subject matter. The energy will be great, everybody laughing, and then they whip out a card about dog abuse or something and drone on about it with very few jokes for a few minutes. Crowd just goes silent. This kind of stuff works in the apartment because it fits in the whole conversational flow, but when your up on stage performing a "comedy act" your gonna need to do something to spin it in a funny direction.... Or just drop those topics completely.

Overall, I like listening to the live shows, even though I don't enjoy them as much as an apartment ep. Whoever called in saying they were "garbage" was just being an rear end in a top hat.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

a star war betamax posted:

I listen to the show because because they're funny, not because their opinions are correct or good. They are really funny guys with good chemistry and comedic timing but the truth is theyre both kind of dumb and they have a really naive narrow view of the world. Seth in particular is totally clueless and immature about anything that isn't movies or stupid TV shows.

But that's part of what makes the show good.

That being said, I'm glad their listenership has gone up, but kinda a shame the patreon donations haven't. I got no problem with them putting certain episodes behind the paywall. For crying out loud it's their show they could make it all subscription only. They've been putting out hundreds of hours of really good content for over a decade completely free!

That being said, here would be my suggestions to the boys:

1. Go back to 60 minute episodes. Keep them snappy and fast moving like the early days.
2. Only do two episodes per week occasionally.
3. Keep the live shows in the free feed and as a numbered episode.
4. Keep putting up "bonus" content for subscribers only.

Bonus content ideas:

A. Filmed video of the live shows. Doesn't have to be edited or multiple cameras or anything, just stick a camera up and let 'er roll. I've never been able to go to a live show and would love to be able to watch it.
B. Jonathans music mixes.
C. Film episodes in the apartment ever once in a while. People would go hog wild for this.
D. Seth Tour guide vids. Film Seth going to an off beat location in LA and talking about it.
E. Any "off format" episodes could go behind paywall. The recent single topic ones, or the Jonathan's short stories episode are good examples.

Just running some ideas off and blasting g them out into the void

Up until a couple years ago Seth was super nervous seeming during live shows. His voice would tremble sometimes and he just seemed off. But he has totally gotten over that and seems to really enjoy the live shows now. Really feeds of the energy and excitement of the crowd. Jonathan has always been great for live shows as he is just more of a natural performer.

Sure the live shows don't have the same "feel" as the apartment ones, but they are still really good. I especially like when they do old fan favorite segments like hip hop / country and such.

To me the main issue with the live shows is they seem to run out of steam about 45 minutes in. Jonathan starts saying things like "OK let's get the gently caress off this stage" etc. Usually this happens after they get reprimanded or booed for something. It really seems to bum them out and it always kills the whole vibe of the show.

It's hard for me to imagine being a fan of the show, paying to come to a live taping, and then loving booing when Jonathan says "Jap car"

Another thing that hurts the live shows is when they try to do cards that have a heavy subject matter. The energy will be great, everybody laughing, and then they whip out a card about dog abuse or something and drone on about it with very few jokes for a few minutes. Crowd just goes silent. This kind of stuff works in the apartment because it fits in the whole conversational flow, but when your up on stage performing a "comedy act" your gonna need to do something to spin it in a funny direction.... Or just drop those topics completely.

Overall, I like listening to the live shows, even though I don't enjoy them as much as an apartment ep. Whoever called in saying they were "garbage" was just being an rear end in a top hat.

ok guy

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Just do ads imo. Couple months of ads and bam, Seth has a Chevy Silverado

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

The Narrator posted:

I'm also behind, but I think the live eps are being paywalled/patreon'd

OK I'm totally fine with paying for the live eps as long as we still have access to them

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
how much of a petulant baby do you have to be get upset about the live eps getting paywalled

who cares

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I like the live shows but the audience can be really annoying. If they're going to paywall them how is that going to work? Are they going to make it so we have to download them off patreon or something?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Caper posted:

If they're going to paywall them how is that going to work? Are they going to make it so we have to download them off patreon or something?
It's easy, Patreon can provide an RSS feed with an authentication key that works in most players. Plenty of podcasts do it now.

I'm also fine with this or whatever they want to do, I just thought it was funny that this didn't come about because the successes of a few big podcasts recently demonstrated that the business model has changed, and while they had intended to keep all content free, we're kind of in a different world now; it was because some opinionated loon took advantage of their neuroses as performers.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Any dumb hbo shows about fratboys they can plug these days?

Or they could do live reads like norm MacDonald, imagine them plugging something like the loving mangrate

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Patreon supports premium RSS feeds, it's how Chapo Trap House has their separate feed set up.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Matey posted:

Just do ads imo. Couple months of ads and bam, Seth has a Chevy Silverado

Do ads and still do Patreon bonus side stuff. There is literally no reason not to do this and they are costing themselves so much money when people can just skip the ads.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
seriously just do some loving ads, who cares. get money

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
yeah ads are fine, god put the "skip 15 seconds" button on all the podcast apps for a reason. they'll never do ads though.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I just upped my patreon pledge after all this talk so ty goons

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I'm gonna up my patreon from 1 dollar per month to 2 dollars per month.

If everone would double it like me they would have double the income!

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Seth was pretty loving out of line this episode. Cricket is p much the only good sport out there and he can go gently caress himself for all I care.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

bollig posted:

Cricket is p much the only good sport out there and he can go gently caress himself for all I care.

lol

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Both of those posts were good constructive criticism & I 100% agree with them; those are the kind of lil things that could really improve the show. Unfortunately it's not the style of criticism the dudes are ever going to hear over loving facebook

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

I was at a live show where Jonathan said 'fag' like 10 times. I was seated behind two gay dudes, one of whom had obviously dragged the other (non-fan) to the show. Every time Jonathan said 'fag' the non-fan got increasingly heated and the other guy had to calm him down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I don't remember Jonathan ever saying fag. He used to call stuff gay or say fruit but never fag. When did that happen?