Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I mean, deciding your game world has to be bigger than IRL great britain is bold in a way I couldn't have fathomed in 1996. It's cool from that perspective but like, you don't actually want to play it.

don't forget the pixilated boobies. that was reason enough for 12 year old me to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Elder Scrolls combat may be clunky but at least it's intuitive. Meanwhile the Witcher is the opposite.
I don't know. The Witcher makes way more sense from a role-playing perspective. It just happens that role-playing realistically kind-of sucks if you aren't grooving on that frequency, which involves a lot of effort and knowledge of how to work the various game systems.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know. The Witcher makes way more sense from a role-playing perspective. It just happens that role-playing realistically kind-of sucks if you aren't grooving on that frequency, which involves a lot of effort and knowledge of how to work the various game systems.

Oh, I didn't know that real sword-wielding involved keyboards and mice.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

I think he means the combat system fits the way Geralt is supposed to fight, it fits his character, and you are playing the role of Geralt.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

And they call me autistic.

I was referring to the combination of sword swinging, acrobatics, potion use, trap use, oil use, and limited magic spells in-tandem. You're fighting like you're a monster-hunter, not as a generic shell with modifiers that mark you as strong/fast/magic-using/etc. The problem is that fighting like a monster hunter is hard, time-consuming work without a ton of flourish and can easily backfire, so it gets old more quickly than Elder Scrolls combat which can be generic, but you can be stoned out of your gourd and still perform blindfolded.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rutibex posted:

don't forget the pixilated boobies. that was reason enough for 12 year old me to play it
I was way too young to play it when it first came out. By the time I was old enough to get daggerfall working in windows XP, I was a veritable boob finding expert. :patriot:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I was referring to the combination of sword swinging, acrobatics, potion use, trap use, oil use, and limited magic spells in-tandem. You're fighting like you're a monster-hunter, not as a generic shell with modifiers that mark you as strong/fast/magic-using/etc. The problem is that fighting like a monster hunter is hard, time-consuming work without a ton of flourish and can easily backfire, so it gets old more quickly than Elder Scrolls combat which can be generic, but you can be stoned out of your gourd and still perform blindfolded.

the easiest difficulty of witcher 3 is literally a left click simulator wherein you occasionally must deal with a horse that has terrible loving pathing being a bigger enemy than anything you will ever fight for real.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Boo hoo a game has a combat system that I don't already know

I'm supposed to be smart gamer man and now I feel dumb because I can't click bad guys right

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

basic hitler posted:

the easiest difficulty of witcher 3 is literally a left click simulator wherein you occasionally must deal with a horse that has terrible loving pathing being a bigger enemy than anything you will ever fight for real.
Yeah easy difficulties tend to be easy like that.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Witcher 3 combat is servicable. It is also very easy.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Witcher 3 bad? I thought this was a thread for unpopular opinions, not factual inaccuracies.

Speaking of, UT > Q3

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mind the walrus posted:

Early Access has made me so wary of anything that claims to be Metroidvania. They always always forget to make the engine something fun to play in.

Yeah, me and a friend were making a kind of civil war themed metroidvania but couldn't get movement to feel fun despite some super rad animations, so we packed it in. Just felt like, no matter how clever the game, if moving around isn't fun then everything else will be a chore.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

the easiest difficulty

lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

basic hitler posted:

the easiest difficulty of witcher 3

rofl

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think his point was more like, "if you find the combat soooo unbearable you can basically skip it by choosing easy", which is true and the game is still worth playing. I didn't hate it that much but I'm very much in favor of not doing poo poo in games that you hate. (if I could have skipped having an inventory I would have, the menus are the real atrocity.)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think his point was more like, "if you find the combat soooo unbearable you can basically skip it by choosing easy", which is true and the game is still worth playing. I didn't hate it that much but I'm very much in favor of not doing poo poo in games that you hate. (if I could have skipped having an inventory I would have, the menus are the real atrocity.)

Yeah. personally if you don't play at least on blood and broken bones you're a bitch but tbh death march is how it should be played. if you're whining about combat it's easy to basically skip though

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

mind the walrus posted:

I've only played (or tried to play) the first Witcher game, where it is a loving mystery how to do any of these things.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

I've only played (or tried to play) the first Witcher game, where it is a loving mystery how to do any of these things.

Well, that is your problem right there.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

it fits his character, and you are playing the role of Geralt.

Is why I couldn't get into the witcher games. Geralt seems like some masturbation aid dreamt up by a weeaboo.

He has like CAT EYES and TWO SWORDS and no woman can resist him!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I know very little about the Witcher author other than he's a grumpy old polish guy, I bet he would be hella disgusted by anime

That said, yeah there's some serious nerd wank

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Is why I couldn't get into the witcher games. Geralt seems like some masturbation aid dreamt up by a weeaboo.

And he talks like a parody of 80's action movie stars

Agh the witcher is so loving lame, I'm baffled by its popularity

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
sterilise witcher 3 haters

oh sorry popular opinion

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

I know very little about the Witcher author other than he's a grumpy old polish guy, I bet he would be hella disgusted by anime

That said, yeah there's some serious nerd wank

all fantasy is nerd wank

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jeza posted:

Speaking of, UT > Q3

You should try Lawbreakers when it comes out. The beta felt very UT, but with features that will get people to play it in 2017.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeza posted:

sterilise witcher 3 haters

oh sorry popular opinion

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Its weird because everybody calls him a mutant freak but he looks like white haired fabio.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Sims Medievel is a great game. It has some bugs and is clearly not finished even with the expansion but the base game of performing quests while living the various daily lives of the townsfolk is more fun than it should be.

It's even super hosed up when you realize you can duel random townsfolk to the death for their money or send them to the stocks to be eaten by the tentacle monster in the pit.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Sims was never anything more than Dungeon Keeper without combat and magic spells. gently caress the Sims and gently caress EA.

Not sure if this is a thread-appropriate post, but we seem to be playing fast and loose anyhow.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I missed a few posts, but did anyone mention video games are for children?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Burt Sexual posted:

I missed a few posts, but did anyone mention video games are for children?

They aren't ? No child can beat me in Civilization 6, a complicated game for adults

No child can ever admire the complex plot of Tides of Numenera, nor the maturity of the decisions involved

No child can kill Varian, prince of World of Warcraft in the hit video game Heroes of the Storm

Please speak no ill of video games, because it's a growing art form that needs your support

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I think MOBAs all suck dick but not in the cool gay way in the bad way that means they're bad

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

They aren't ? No child can beat me in Civilization 6, a complicated game for adults

No child can ever admire the complex plot of Tides of Numenera, nor the maturity of the decisions involved

No child can kill Varian, prince of World of Warcraft in the hit video game Heroes of the Storm

Please speak no ill of video games, because it's a growing art form that needs your support

My 12 year old will call you a baby bitch while she does all of those.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sid Vicious posted:

I think MOBAs all suck dick but not in the cool gay way in the bad way that means they're bad

if you have four other friends who enjoy it and are chill people, and can stay cool after a loss or two (this is really rare), mobas are some serious fun.

Playing with randoms, or strangers on the internet you have tenuous connections to (goons) works for games like eve online maybe, but it makes these game masochism/pain simulators and every single buddy I used to play dota with gets visibly angry, me included, if anyone is dumb enough to suggest playing it, because we all learned to hate it THAT much over the years.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

mobas are some serious fun.

now THAT is the unpopular opinion of the year.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
MOBAs are like playing command and conquer with only one unit. it's a RTS for idiots

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My son quit gaming for a bit this summer and decided to get a job at a beach and go fishing with buddies a lot. Now girls txt him and guys hang out with him outside by the lake, the gamers now call him chad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

now THAT is the unpopular opinion of the year.

yeah the rest of the post is required because out of context i want to quote myself and call me a retard by reading that.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I think I'm done with Souls games. Over the years, I've played Dark Souls 1, DS2, Bloodborne, and Demon's Souls. I've enjoyed them all, but I don't ever want to play a Souls game again.

Still interested in what From Soft does next.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

carp supreme posted:

the mario brothers probably smell like poo poo.

I mean they are both obviously mentally handicapped. They are two 40+ year old men who can only say the're names and "Itsa me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hip check please posted:

I mean they are both obviously mentally handicapped. They are two 40+ year old men who can only say the're names and "Itsa me."

"Mario Mario" :downs: