Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arglebargle III posted:

Neat note: if you escape in Alex's pod and get the bad end, the simulation boot screen is LGV 3.1 instead of LGV 3.5.
That's a really cool detail.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Maybe it worked and more Typhon came anyway
It was already too late - everyone on the station talks about the bad dreams they're having about the black thing in the darkness, which is as far as I can tell them subconsciously picking up on the signals the coral has been sending out, and you can find a crew member's letter from home where their son is talking about the bad dreams he's having and sends her a crude picture of a phantom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"Hey people of Earth, these fuckos have an alien research facility and are covering up a containment breach so serious that we're going to blow up the station. You're not alone in the universe and here's the specs for a psychoscope good luck."

I mean, something to that effect. Broadcast unencrypted on a widely-monitored frequency.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is it ever explained why they can't just use cattle or something to create neuromods?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Is it ever explained why they can't just use cattle or something to create neuromods?
I don't remember seeing anywhere that Typhon eat anything besides people's psyches, but maybe you could use cows to create neuromods for cows. The Typhon are just too connected to neuropsychic stuff to be eating just the meat portions of people.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Arglebargle III posted:

"Hey people of Earth, these fuckos have an alien research facility and are covering up a containment breach so serious that we're going to blow up the station. You're not alone in the universe and here's the specs for a psychoscope good luck."

I mean, something to that effect. Broadcast unencrypted on a widely-monitored frequency.

I think there’s two layers to why it’s not addressed- 1) I don’t think Alex would do that out of family loyalty or self preservation (although maybe this is less a factor as the story progresses), 2) the real nature of what’s going on they don’t want to have to simulate talking to someone on the outside, or have that be a factor in the sim

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ravenfood posted:

I don't remember seeing anywhere that Typhon eat anything besides people's psyches, but maybe you could use cows to create neuromods for cows. The Typhon are just too connected to neuropsychic stuff to be eating just the meat portions of people.

I don't think it ever says that the Typhon actually has to kill a human to get usable exotic materials, and presumably the mimic encountered during the Verona 1 incident wasn't made with a human. From what I understand only Mimics, Phantoms and Weavers require human bodies to make.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

turn off the TV posted:

I don't think it ever says that the Typhon actually has to kill a human to get usable exotic materials, and presumably the mimic encountered during the Verona 1 incident wasn't made with a human. From what I understand only Mimics, Phantoms and Weavers require human bodies to make.
The exotic materials used to create neuromods are made from recycled mimics. Mimics multiply by killing humans. They're "farming" mimics to make neuromods, using humans -- take the four that are created, recycle three for neuromods, and have the last one reproduce again. As they feed on consciousness and psyche, presumably cows and other organisms are not sapient enough to allow for that kind of reproduction. I don't think that it's that human psyche is required for the eventual neuromod, at least not in any way that "cow mimics make cow neuromods", because mimics are just mimics, they don't seem bound to a species (and as you pointed out, wherever the Verona 1 mimics came from, they were standard mimics too). The problem is instead that human psyche is required for the mimic itself to actually multiply in the first place.

Presumably, there's some other civilized sapient alien race out there that these mimics devoured and multiplied from before being spored out into space.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

man when fighting telepaths/technopaths/weavers the difference between having psychoshock and nullwave grenades and not is night and day

if i do a third run i'm beelining nullwaves, not the neuromod drm

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

turn off the TV posted:

The volunteers were being used to test the regular human neuromods as well as create them, and it's hard to get feedback from a cow.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you get the blueprint for the nullwave grenades?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you get the blueprint for the nullwave grenades?

i found it on a computer in deep storage, room with the recycler. assuming that it's not randomized.

the suckers cost exotic matter though, so now i can never use one ever again

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

P. sure the Nullwave blueprint is randomized like any other. I didn't find one on my first playthrough, but found it pretty early on in playthrough 2.

PT2 was when I started actually taking Typhon mods, but I dunno if that had an effect.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

ConfusedUs posted:

I must be near the end, since all those military operators just showed up.

If you're going human only, what's the best way to deal with them? Wrench? Shotgun? Running really, really fast while double-jumping?

I used gloo + wrench or hacking to taste on them all.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

At the point you run into military operators, if you follow a sequence of:
1. They first pop up
2. Go to Deep Storage, deactivate tracker
3. Head out, disable Dahl's operator
4. Go neutralise Dahl, who will be in the Arboretum

Then 1 and 2 are literally the only times you have to interact with them at all and you can just run past them pretty much. Hit 3 with a Q-Beam or whatever when you fly close enough to see it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The stun gun is by far the easiest method, aside from sprinting past. Don't bother with anything else unless you completely run out of stun gun ammo.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gadzuko posted:

The stun gun is by far the easiest method, aside from sprinting past. Don't bother with anything else unless you completely run out of stun gun ammo.

If you want the leave ending then you gotta save one shot's worth of stun-gun ammo for Dahl!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bewilderment posted:

At the point you run into military operators, if you follow a sequence of:
1. They first pop up
2. Go to Deep Storage, deactivate tracker
3. Head out, disable Dahl's operator
4. Go neutralise Dahl, who will be in the Arboretum

Then 1 and 2 are literally the only times you have to interact with them at all and you can just run past them pretty much. Hit 3 with a Q-Beam or whatever when you fly close enough to see it.

The operator was in Fab and Dahl was in Atmo Control for me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
[quote="“Ravenfood”" post="“474215105”"]
The operator was in Fab and Dahl was in Atmo Control for me.
[/quote]

If you take out the operator first he goes to the arboretum to break into Alex’s hidey hole.

I think the operator is supposed to be randomized but he’s been in the helicopter ride room both times for me.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm doing my first playthrough on hard, and having a hard time with these big rear end turret operators who are corrupted and spawn lightning balls of some sort. Most of my guns don't seem to damage it, should I just load up a bunch of EMP's and wack it with my wrench?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Honest Thief posted:

I'm doing my first playthrough on hard, and having a hard time with these big rear end turret operators who are corrupted and spawn lightning balls of some sort. Most of my guns don't seem to damage it, should I just load up a bunch of EMP's and wack it with my wrench?

You can get a stun gun right near the start of the game. Use that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Dahl's operator was actually on the exterior of the station on my first (and only) playthrough. Made for a pretty cool sequence.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Dahl's operator for me was in that room where you first test out recycler chargers. Interesting to hear how random the location is!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

I try to just sort of go with my gut on the first play of a game like this, and found the Typhon surprisingly sympathetic, even without knowing the twist. Not many of the humans do things in the game that make me think "Yeah, this is worth saving." I wasn't sure about the Typhon either way for a long time because their motives are so mysterious; though clearly they've evolved to be something fascinating, something that interested me. What sealed the deal was the confirmation that coral is a neural map of the people who have been consumed. The Typhon aren't good, but they're not bad either, they operate outside of that reference framework, and I honestly find the idea of the massive shared neural framework quite interesting, as well as the structure of the various forms of Typhon that function to fill different roles towards a single end.

To that end, I played very Typhon-heavy, not gunless per se but going very heavy into psionics; and I was delighted to be able to choose to finish off the humans at the end, even if I did wind up saving quite a few (but not all) of the humans on the station in the sim. I know there's a pretty good argument for joining Alex since his plan is to splice together Typhon and Human into some kind of exotic fusion cuisine, but like I said, at the time I went with my gut and that involved killing them all.

Someone mentions that external comms are down, don't remember if it's an audio log or what, but there's been no way to radio off the station since the start of the incident. What puzzled me more was how the board knew to send Dahl even though comms were down.

you have a strange moral compass. the choice between a devouring alien physically incapable of empathising and even the decidedly flawed group of people on talos seems incredibly self-evident to me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Neurosis posted:

you have a strange moral compass. the choice between a devouring alien physically incapable of empathising and even the decidedly flawed group of people on talos seems incredibly self-evident to me.
Look, when it comes to people who play video games, it's asking a lot of their moral compass just for it to not point towards "alt-right misogynistic neo-Nazi." I think aniviron should be commended for thinking that dozens of people, a few of whom definitely were horrible and many of whom clearly did nothing wrong, are maybe less worth saving than a predatory race/ecosystem that eats consciousness.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think that's something the game actually lacks a bit - any positive sides of Typhon, any relatable agenda or goals Typhon might have. Even Caesar's Legion in Fallount: NV had a vision of the future that they considered more beneficial for humanity. Typhon exists only to destroy everything, to consume all humans. It's basically an extreme form of a horrific disease that hits incredibly fast and is insanely contagious. There's really nothing to side with here unless your starting moral stance was 'gently caress humanity and kill everybody' in which case there was nothing to ponder about to begin with.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The inability to relate is, I thought, the entire point. It's part of what made it so interesting and engaging to me.

Honest Thief posted:

They suck at close range, especially with no support. EMP to take out their guards/intro defenses (if necessary -- a stun gun with upgraded range/damage can do the same), then you can basically just stun it and run in with a wrench, gun, etc. Keeping it stunlocked is easy even with a mostly untouched stungun.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I guess if we assume that Typhon really is only about destruction, then killing everybody in the end is a legitimate ending. In that case it's not about the moral choice of destroying humanity or not though but rather about defining what Typhon actually is. The player choice then answers the question on whether Typhon is in fact a blind disease or - in case of choosing to cooperate with humans - if its empathy opens the door to it having an actual agenda that we just haven't uncovered yet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Palpek posted:

I guess if we assume that Typhon really is only about destruction, then killing everybody in the end is a legitimate ending. In that case it's not about the moral choice of destroying humanity or not though but rather about defining what Typhon actually is. The player choice then answers the question on whether Typhon is in fact a blind disease or - in case of choosing to cooperate with humans - if its empathy opens the door to it having an actual agenda that we just haven't uncovered yet.
The Typhon aren't really about "destruction" any more than any other carnivore is about destruction. They're simply an organism/ecosystem/whatever that feeds off of consciousness. They go around eating it. By default they don't really have any reason not to eat it, because they can't empathize with (for instance) humans. They lack the physiological basis for empathy. Humans, meanwhile, can empathize, so we can choose not to eat other conscious creatures. We can eat vegetables instead. The whole plot of the game is the humans trying to figure out of they can make the Typhon empathetic, at which point the hope is that they'll stop eating humans the same way many humans have stopped eating animals.

This is just a little nit pick but I really think it's important to draw a distinction between someone who is just out to destroy things and someone who is just out to eat things because they don't have the empathy required to realize they shouldn't be eating that thing. Nobody calls a person who eats a hamburger "destructive." That person simply lacks empathy. Ditto for the Typhon. A lion, meanwhile, is something that can't feel empathy (at least, not enough to get it to stop eating animals). But again, we don't call lions "destructive." Sure, they destroy the animals they eat, just like we do and just like the Typhon do. But it's about eating, really, not about destroying. The Typhon are a destructive force by accident, not by nature.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't agree with that comparison because it hasn't been shown that the Typhon actually needs to eat humans to survive. That's why predators do what they do - they'd die otherwise, that's their motivation. If Typhon felt no choice and instinctively fed off people like lions do then that kind of choice would actually be clear - do you save humans at the cost of Typhon dying or not? But that's not what we're shown in the game. As far as the scientific research on the station is concerned - Typhon may survive an indefinite ammount of time with no humans to consume at all. It's more akin to a biological weapon similar to the ideas from Prometheus.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Palpek posted:

I don't agree with that comparison because it hasn't been shown that the Typhon actually needs to eat humans to survive. That's why predators do what they do - they'd die otherwise, that's their motivation. If Typhon felt no choice and instinctively fed off people like lions do then that kind of choice would actually be clear - do you save humans at the cost of Typhon dying or not? But that's not what we're shown in the game. As far as the scientific research on the station is concerned - Typhon may survive an indefinite ammount of time with no humans to consume at all. It's more akin to a biological weapon similar to the ideas from Prometheus.
Sure, the Typhon don't need to eat people, but humans don't need to eat meat either. There's a part (maybe a couple parts) of the game where January's argument is that you should blow up the station rather than try to control/neutralize the Typhon because humanity is not ready to be part of the galactic consciousness food chain. Just because we defeat the Typhon doesn't mean we can handle the other predators out there. Alex, meanwhile, is happy to play that game because of the vast rewards that it promises. You're right that we don't know if the Typhon need to eat just to survive: they can wait an indefinite amount of time waiting until a human comes by, but that seems sort of like a form of stasis rather than survival. And it certainly seems like they need to eat humans to reproduce and thrive.

So I guess my point is, either the Typhon are like humans: they eat sentient creatures even though they don't need to, in which case I still don't think "destructive" is the right term unless you think people who eat hamburgers are destructive; or, they're more like lions and they need to eat consciousness to thrive, in which case "destructive" is a bad match for them just like it's a bad match for lions.

I think my overall point is that the whole thing is part of a food chain. Whether it's a necessary one for the Typhon or not, they're here to eat us, not to destroy us. It's not like they're just a force of nature that smashes consciousness. They consume consciousness and use it to reproduce.
They create, they don't destroy. Of course, their creation necessitates some destruction, but that's how life works for carnivores.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I would argue that the drive of life as we know it is to reproduce and propagate, not to survive. There are plenty of species on earth where adults die at the cost of reproduction.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm confused why people recommended the G.L.U.E. gun to use against cysts (I'm aware of the best two ways to take them out already, thanks). Covering the nest doesn't seem to do anything when the mines spawn and taking all of the moving cysts requires quite a bit of ammo because of their erratic speed. Now granted we get drowned in glue ammo but I still don't see the appeal.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

double nine posted:

I'm confused why people recommended the G.L.U.E. gun to use against cysts (I'm aware of the best two ways to take them out already, thanks). Covering the nest doesn't seem to do anything when the mines spawn and taking all of the moving cysts requires quite a bit of ammo because of their erratic speed. Now granted we get drowned in glue ammo but I still don't see the appeal.

It's kind of inconsistent, but sometimes when you land some gloo on the cyst it will destroy it as well as all the cystoids that come out. It was more reliable when I did it in zero-gravity environments, but still inconsistent enough that you're probably better off shooting a dart or throwing something at the nest.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

It really is just the abundance of ammo. The real pro play for dealing with Cystoids is to throw things at them since they only perceive movement.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

double nine posted:

yeah thats nonsense. You deal with cysts by throwing things and with the dart gun.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think my overall point is that the whole thing is part of a food chain. Whether it's a necessary one for the Typhon or not, they're here to eat us, not to destroy us. It's not like they're just a force of nature that smashes consciousness. They consume consciousness and use it to reproduce.
They create, they don't destroy. Of course, their creation necessitates some destruction, but that's how life works for carnivores.

I'm not sure what's even being argued here anymore. What I wrote was that the final player choice whether to kill humans or not has a weight to it that has more to do with defining what Typhon IS and not with whether humanity deserves to die or not.

Then you didn't like one part of that idea and argued that Typhon doesn't only exist to destroy humans, it needs them in order to survive and what Alex is doing with the simulation is like trying to switch a conscious human from eating burgers to eating vegetables. So I argued that this comparison is flawed becasue consuming humans is not the same as eating food for Typhon at all, it doesn't need to consume humans to survive. Now you argue that ok it's not eating but it's thriving etc.

Uhhh, but how does it all matter? Let's go back to the original argument for a minute. What would Typhon thrive on if not on human consciousness? What's the alternative here? What would triggering empathy in Typhon achieve in this scenario? It doesn't seem like there's an equivalent of vegetables here. Or is the end goal to make Typhon feel sorry for humans and stop with all that thriving? Go thrive somewhere else? That's the reason it just doesn't make sense to me to define Typhon in these categories.

It makes more sense imo that with that final choice the player defines Typhon as either: a weapon/disease existing only to destroy humans where the multiplication of Typhon is comparable to a chain reaction designed to kill even more humans rather than a species reproduction (if you choose to kill humans) OR some sort of alien race the workings of which are still beyond human comprehension but with a possibility of estabilishing a plane of communication with where human death is a process that isn't biologically necessary so a possibility to have Typhon choose not to do it exists (if you choose to cooperate).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I was just pointing out that the Typhon aren't really "destructive." That's the only point I wanted to make.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurosis posted:

In regards to my strange moral compass (not gonna argue that point, at least) there are definitely places shown in the game that the Typhon are alive and conscious in some form on a level roughly equivalent to humanity- the best example is when the player Typhon has the visions that break through the simulation ("They're lying to you" etc) which wouldn't be happening if the Typhon were just mindless devourers like lions or what have you.

I might be misremembering this but I also seem to recall that someone in the game says the coral in part has the same neural patterns as the people who were eaten to make it. That would mean that in a fairly real sense, they're not dead, but absorbed. I find that fascinating, and between the coral and the evidence for Typhon sapience I think there's at least a choice to be made there rather than just "do you want to be bad." The fact that the Typhon are so enigmatic and hostile means most players will and probably should choose the ending that sides with Alex; I didn't because I find the Typhon quite interesting, and because I am a cranky old misanthrope.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Gloo + wrench is your friend. If you explored well you will already have a stun gun that ruins them, otherwise you'll find one sooner or later. Operators take less damage from bullets so don't waste gun ammo on them

But if you're referring to a giant purple ball thing and not an operator (can't tell from your post) then you actually want a nullwave emitter, which cripples it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I find gloo to be easier than any other method against cysts, especially in the GUTS. It usually takes several darts or throws to get all of them and it's a lot faster to just spray a bunch of gloo. Outside the GUTS darts work better on clusters but I still end up spraying gloo if the cysts are spread out.