Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It ain't that hard, just remember that the collision detection around a few are turbo horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This looks like a pretty neat Harvest Moon/Minecraft/Stardew Valley-ish game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu8Cah3-m0g

There's a free alpha build you can download right now: here.

RPS article

Steam page

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Anyone know what the update today is for?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Daztek posted:

This seems pretty cool, has anyone given it a try yet? It also seems kinda ambitious to go from a July alpha to an October release?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Ramadu posted:

Anyone know what the update today is for?

version history

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
So I just discovered that if you breed enough slimes in your house, eventually they will mob and attack your spouse, they even have dialog when it happens...

I wonder if I had enough slimes, could they, say, bring Leah's hitpoints down to 0?

My next project is to breed slimes in Pierre's store and see how that fares.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Daztek posted:

RPS article

Steam page

It's neat but it has a hell of a long way to go. I don't know what their release schedule looks like but it has a lot to do before it will be something you should buy. Unlike a lot of "alpha" builds of stuff you see, this is actually alpha, it's very unoptimized, it's buggy, uses stand in models for a lot of characters, has large segments missing all audio, camera controls are abysmal. I could go on further but you get the idea. Hopefully people are actually submitting feedback to the developer so they can get useful data from publishing their alpha builds.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, I'll wait until the release build on that one. It kinda strikes me as your usual indie vaporware.

I mean, if it ain't - that's cool, I missed the bugs and got all the content at once. If it is - I get to be smug, that's always good!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, I'll wait until the release build on that one. It kinda strikes me as your usual indie vaporware.

I mean, if it ain't - that's cool, I missed the bugs and got all the content at once. If it is - I get to be smug, that's always good!

Oh no it will release, it's done by the same group that did Planet Explorers, which whiffed pretty loving hard compared to the original outlaid plan, and then never really got the fixes to make it worthwhile. It won't be vaporware at least, but don't expect it to be as good as Stardew Valley.

My Time at Portia will probably be worth whatever Steam will sell it for on sale during the Steam Summer Sale next year.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Daztek posted:

RPS article

Steam page

Alpha builds make me sad.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hey, so I last played on release before all the BIG changes and just started a new game. What do I do to make money now? No berries to buy...do I buy strawberries at the strawberry festival? That sounds familiar.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's probably better to ignore strawberries (maybe grow just 5 or 6 just to have some on hand for quests, if you want) and just keep cranking out parsnips and potatoes in the first spring. The goal the first spring is to have as much cash as possible to spend on blueberry seeds on Summer 1.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's probably better to ignore strawberries (maybe grow just 5 or 6 just to have some on hand for quests, if you want) and just keep cranking out parsnips and potatoes in the first spring. The goal the first spring is to have as much cash as possible to spend on blueberry seeds on Summer 1.

Cool. I think I fished nonstop my first year last time, I'm gonna balance it out that way I think. All the usual fishing spots still work?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I started playing this a few days ago. After a couple restarts, what I did on my first spring on my current game was spend all my money on seeds and plant parsnips/kale calculating it so that I got a crop before day 13 (when you first can buy strawberries). I then planted those and got two crops before summer and had a shitload of money for blueberry seeds.

This is a really fun game to relax after work, I'm liking it so far.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Hey, so I last played on release before all the BIG changes and just started a new game. What do I do to make money now? No berries to buy...do I buy strawberries at the strawberry festival? That sounds familiar.

Berries of all sorts are still a good source of income. Strawberries are still the most profitable per day spring crop even though you don't get access to them until the 13th.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
And fishing is the same as it ever was, but you can catch not-trash on your farm now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game has the best fishing minigame, I love it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Alloran posted:

And fishing is the same as it ever was, but you can catch not-trash on your farm now.

This is arguably a nerf, its much harder to get trash to convert into goods like the coveted Cloth from Soggy Newspapers for early Community Goals.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
eh you can get trash still, it just slots in with everything else. you only need one and if you're gonna be fishing at all it's gonna come up. it's inevitable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Crab pots are my go-to source for refined quartz

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I found out by accident that plant quality is loaded when the save boots up or you exit the house or something. You can savescum plant quality for the quality plants bundle if you desperately need to, I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're going to do that it's easier to just install the item generating cheat mod

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It seems that you can also savescum what you get in a package when a neighbor sends you one of those "thought you could use this" letters. I got curious about what Pam would send you, but it was mostly alcohol that she found in a drawer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It seems that you can also savescum what you get in a package when a neighbor sends you one of those "thought you could use this" letters. I got curious about what Pam would send you, but it was mostly alcohol that she found in a drawer.

She sent me a battery that she found in her drawer :blush:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Leal posted:

Oh yeah, I've gotten a couple of those from her as well. I ended up giving her the beer she gifted me (which really brightened up her day).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Speaking of gifts, Linus keeps asking me for Gold Bars and Diamonds to put on his mantlepiece.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've started a new save after about a year.

I've played 25+ hours last week. Again.

I've also shown this game to my girlfriend, who has now played 45 hours in a week due to being sick.

God drat is this game addictive.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
A year and a half later and chucklefish still is loving it up

lol

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Gamerofthegame posted:

A year and a half later and chucklefish still is loving it up

lol

i am glad of this vague post that does nothing for the thread i think maybe it should get reported for being so useless

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Leal posted:

Pam needs some release, she's had a hard life

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

vermin posted:

Pam needs some release, she's had a hard life

I'm now imagining Penny trying to find her birth registration details for clinic reports while on the phone to Maru.

"Wha- Oh no."

"Yes."

"No"

"YES."

"NO!"

"Not a Bumblebee, is it."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ramadu posted:

i am glad of this vague post that does nothing for the thread i think maybe it should get reported for being so useless

It's pessimistically accurate as multiplayer is still a ghost concept. I assume they focused on the Switch and other ports first since Stardew's saturation levels on PC have probably leveled out and money is important to everyone but CA.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm now imagining Penny trying to find her birth registration details for clinic reports while on the phone to Maru.

"Wha- Oh no."

"Yes."

"No"

"YES."

"NO!"

"Not a Bumblebee, is it."

I was confused by this post for a minute, until I remembered that Archer episode. Maru's not nearly sassy as Ray.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's pessimistically accurate as multiplayer is still a ghost concept. I assume they focused on the Switch and other ports first since Stardew's saturation levels on PC have probably leveled out and money is important to everyone but CA.

I just legit don't understand why there isn't a "run twice as fast" option. Literally everyone wants that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

precision posted:

I just legit don't understand why there isn't a "run twice as fast" option. Literally everyone wants that.

There is. It's called pepper poppers or coffee or a horse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LLSix posted:

There is. It's called pepper poppers or coffee or a horse.

OK, how about "run twice as fast for the first 10 or 20 hours of the game before you get those things"?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mods?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

precision posted:

OK, how about "run twice as fast for the first 10 or 20 hours of the game before you get those things"?

Those both only increase your speed by something dumb like 17% each

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Too bad that you can't hook up an IV filled with coffee for a day long speed boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I unashamedly use the cheat menu mod solely to jack my movement speed way up. Yes it's cheaty as hell because the length of the day and combat mechanics were planned with the default movement speed in mind, and I don't give a poo poo. The default movement speed is excruciating.