Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Waffles Inc. posted:

I read the OP but based on the last couple pages of convo I figure I'd ask live: what grade should a noob start at if they want to do 1/100?

Cheers

In my experience, all of the grades are the same difficulty to build. None require more talent or extra skills. Mostly some just require more time or more patience. I wouldn't want to start with an RG just because they can be frustrating, but otherwise it's all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dragon-momoko-astray-out-frame-gundam

Dragon Momoko Gundam Astray Out Frame available for pre-order!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I primarily build 1/100 for the size and detail, and if you're looking to get in that way, the only real thing you have to know is that all the old 1/100 no grade kits are pretty much universally bad. Unless you specifically want a kit you can't get otherwise, don't expect to get through one of those without gluing, painting, or seam filling. Some of the old Master Grade kits are rough, but they all build a well detailed model that can hopefully be expected not to crumble the first time you move it.

The second time, though, is a different story.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's okay to dote on certain aspects of robot design. I'm still all in on external fuel tanks/thrusters/stabilizers, and it's like a guarantee that I'll get a kit if it has them.
I'm with you there, The Psych Zaku is entirely my poo poo, especially how duct-taped together it all is.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Muffinlord posted:

I primarily build 1/100 for the size and detail, and if you're looking to get in that way, the only real thing you have to know is that all the old 1/100 no grade kits are pretty much universally bad. Unless you specifically want a kit you can't get otherwise, don't expect to get through one of those without gluing, painting, or seam filling. Some of the old Master Grade kits are rough, but they all build a well detailed model that can hopefully be expected not to crumble the first time you move it.

The second time, though, is a different story.

All this being said though, the -really- old no-grade kits have a much simpler sculpt that actually works in its favor WRT looking more cartoony/true-to-anime. Just don't expect anything more than a statue with the sub-90's articulation.

Here's Shinde's 1/60 Gelgoog from the 80's as an example.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 10, 2017

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neurolimal posted:

All this being said though, the no-grade kits have a much simpler sculpt that actually works in its favor WRT looking more cartoony/true-to-anime. Just don't expect anything more than a statue with the sub-90's articulation.

This doesn't apply to the newer "full mechanics" kits, of course. Those have inner frames and the whole shebang, they're just not as detailed or articulated as a modern Master Grade. And yeah, the old ones are pretty true to the source material, but they typically have bad color separation and need a lot of stickers or paint and their joints are extremely simplified, which often leaves them really loose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BlitzBlast posted:

The actual problems with Thunderbolt are that I'm not in high school anymore so I don't have a hardon for gratuitous amounts of guns and armor a) its aesthetics completely clash with the rest of 0079 (which is not not a new problem, 0080 technically did the same), b) it has that goofy splash page with some Zeongs when that was supposed to be a one-off, and c) once it exits the OYW it ditches the UC aesthetic entirely with Atlas. But they've long since given up on design consistency so that doesn't matter much either.

So really, it's just the Zeongs.

I bet the Alex having a panoramic cockpit must be the worst for you if a two second splash image is enough to piss you off. Never thought the idea of putting armor on top of armor was so bad.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 10, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I don't even begin to understand what you're talking about, but you need to get that chip off your shoulder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's alright it's a chip in my chobham plates.

Asking for consistency in oyw designs is pointless. Besides what fun is it if all the designs by non Tomino shows are mandated to follow okawara's designs exactly? It's the same as getting hung up on canon. So what if the Atlas looks like they only covered the bare minimum of its frame with armor? It makes a nice streamlined contrast to the bulked up FA.

Aesthetics that differ from the original are not a "problem" with a show or comic.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 10, 2017

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The discussion was about examples of tech discrepancies in Thunderbolt. The redesigns are one of them.

I seriously don't get what you're getting on your soapbox about. I even said that design consistency hasn't been a thing in forever, it's why I brought up 0080. Though considering you were bringing up the Alex of all things, I'm curious if you just don't know the Z'Gok E, the GM D, and I think the Zaku II Kai were originally supposed to just be the Z'Gok, GM and Zaku II, only with retconned designs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eh forget about it. This is a stupid hill for me to die on.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

TaurusOxford posted:

http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dragon-momoko-astray-out-frame-gundam

Dragon Momoko Gundam Astray Out Frame available for pre-order!

Just what is the quality of Dragon Momoko's kits versus Bandai's? A lot of their stuff is tempting.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i recently finished the MS part of the testament and other than a couple fitting issues and weird things it was basically bandai level. at least construction wise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well no, fair enough, but for the time period UC, its power output and armament is through the roof compared to stuff even a decade later. You can get away with justifying crazy stuff like the Atlas's railgun because it was a prototype suit, but the FA-78 is just another RX variant that is armed to the teeth. Forget magnetic coating or prototype psycommu systems, if Amuro had the FA=78, he could have blown up the entire Zeon fleet in a single sortie.

None of this really bothers me, mind you. Like I said, I don't mind canon conflicts as long as the story is good and the machine fits the setting. It's not like the Thunderbolt comes decked out with a full set of funnels and a beam shield and a three part transformable attack mode and suddenly firing off the Moonlight Butterfly.

The Full Armour Gundam in Thunderbolt is explicitly stated to be a prototype.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Heads up, bargain hunters: Barnes & Noble is clearing out their most recent round of Gunpla with a 20% discount. Add coupon code VACATION on top of that for 10% off orders up to $30 and 15% over $60. Better hurry, though, they're going fast.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Full Armour Gundam in Thunderbolt is explicitly stated to be a prototype.

At this point there are more '78 derivatives than there are suits in mass production lines.

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014
If anyone else has Amazon Prime, there are some good Gunpla deals you can get through Prime Day. I picked up a HG Gundam Vidar and a HG Zaku Amazing for about $13 total.

...I think. It quoted me a price of $20 at checkout and I got an e-mail confirming my order for $13.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

At this point there are more '78 derivatives than there are suits in mass production lines.

Depends on how GMs figure into it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How is the GM C type? Fairly basic looking but how is its articulation?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

How is the GM C type? Fairly basic looking but how is its articulation?

MG or HG?

The HG's early modern. Ball and socket hips, restricted double joints for the knees that only get you a little over 90, double elbows. It's not bad, but not great either.

It's the same basic mold as the Cardigan, so if you got that, you know how it goes. If not, the Cardigan, assuming you can stand having a Try kit, is fairly similar, but with way more guns, shields, and armor. Might be a better pick assuming the extra cash isn't a dealbreaker.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ehh, I'm kind of off on ball and socket legs. Some of them work fine like a Geara Doga where you don't expect much from the legs, but the ground GM has spoiled me.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Do any of sticker sets have kicking rad skulls? I need some skulls.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Mimir posted:

Do any of sticker sets have kicking rad skulls? I need some skulls.

Here you go bud

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Why do some Gunpla keep turning around on their own? Often when I check up on some of them, they've turned to face right. I had to put my RG Mk-II Titans right up against the back of the shelf because it wouldn't stay put otherwise. You'd think even particularly wobbly joints would eventually settle in a specific position to stop this from happening.

The slowly rotating Gundam phenomenon happens with other kits too, but the Mk-II Titans also has a unique trait: It turns its head to face left, always, immediately. As soon as I turn the head another direction, it looks back again. It doesn't even have the decency to do it while I'm looking away. Why does this keep happening? Does the Mk-II Titans' head have particularly uneven weight distribution? Is there important Gundam business happening to the left? Is it ghosts, or a blood curse?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

sounds like your place is haunted, and demons have taken possession of your gunpla and are facing them towards hell. Only solution is to buy more gunpla.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sounds like you need an exorcism

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sounds like you need an X.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's head is weighed left by gravity.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
All I know is that when I put gunpla on shelves if I'm not sure about the stability I put sticky tac on their feet. :shrug:

DerringerWhale
Aug 17, 2015

Paper Kaiju posted:

Just what is the quality of Dragon Momoko's kits versus Bandai's? A lot of their stuff is tempting.

They all have fit issues with the most common complaint being that the pegs are too big or the holes too small, which has led a lot of people to breaking things during assembly as they attempt to push parts or sub-assemblies together. Any of their kits that attempt to replicate Bandai's Emotion Manipulator articulated fingers have garbage quality hands; way too fragile when Bandai's were already pretty easy to pop a finger off. Most of them rely on Bandai already having released something that they can re-purpose the internal skeleton to put on new outer armor, so the quality of the engineering and construction of the Bandai original remain (e.g. DM's Deathscyth Hell uses bootleg version of Bandai's XXXG frame) .

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i didn't have too many fitting issues with my testament but yeah the emotion manipulators are so bad

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Third party non-specialty (as in, "sells kits of EMI's by themselves) ones are pretty bad, yeah. On the bright side you can just glue them in whatever position you like and bam: specialized solid hands.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

thanks everyone, this is working great

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

DerringerWhale posted:

They all have fit issues with the most common complaint being that the pegs are too big or the holes too small, which has led a lot of people to breaking things during assembly as they attempt to push parts or sub-assemblies together.

I am strongly considering buying something like this set in the very near future, as I suspect it might make my snapping life much easier overall.

Kao_Pai
Mar 25, 2003
RB-79 Madball?

Catching up on hundreds of thread pages, but I noticed the pro purchase of a Fatty a few pages back.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fatty looks like it infiltrated a Tau sept's Crisis Suit division.

Man, thinking about it, a gunpla version of an XV-8 Crisis Suit would be loving awesome. Of course, Games Workshop would charge $200 for a basic one with that level of articulation, and you'd still need to glue it and paint it yourself.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Please come over and paint my Scopedog.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kao_Pai posted:

RB-79 Madball?

Catching up on hundreds of thread pages, but I noticed the pro purchase of a Fatty a few pages back.

these rule

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Kao_Pai posted:

RB-79 Madball?

I just imagine the pilot opening up the minigun and spinning wildly in place. Great work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Kao_Pai posted:

That reminds me of Robo from Chrono Trigger.