Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

iospace posted:

You shut your whore mouth.

And real talk, NASCAR was, at one point, as popular as the NFL.

Then they proceeded to get way too high on their own farts and proceeded to poo poo it all up.

Popularity != sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hey hey hey I know what will give us more mainstream credibility, let's completely de value our championship so that we can try to boost ratings at Homestead Miami

Yup, and shove Atlanta somewhere where it doesn't matter.

Though racing as a whole is on a major decline. The loss of tobacco backing it was a huge blow, and we're still suffering the effects.

Oh, and NASCAR finally gave into fans and is introducing a road course in the chase (or playoffs, whatever). loving. Charlotte. Roval.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Mr. France sir, I was thinking maybe we could invest interest in the sport with some more interesting tracks like Bristol

"gently caress that, give me a few more 1.5 mile ovals"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
if racing cars is a sport than so is repairing watches, playing chess, or collecting stamps

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Metapod posted:

Popularity != sport

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

So yeah it is a sport

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Flikken posted:

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

So yeah it is a sport

Now, if you'll let me explain the intricacies of having buy scripts for my Counter-Strike: Global Offensive sponsored tournament team....

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

SHOAH NUFF posted:

if racing cars is a sport than so is repairing watches, playing chess, or collecting stamps

You are not putting massive physical stresses on yourself that you have to be in good physical shape to function in with chess

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
As someone who knows nothing about NASCAR, what's the difference between "The Chase for the Championship" and what they were doing before?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Flikken posted:

...and which cannot be done at even a moderate level while drinking beer (this excludes most of the usual questionable suspects, such as chess, bowling, and baseball).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Mr. France sir, I was thinking maybe we could invest interest in the sport with some more interesting tracks like Bristol

"gently caress that, give me a few more 1.5 mile ovals"

From what I understand, part of why they're so popular is because you can build a 100k person grandstand on the front stretch.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cant imagine actually going to a racetrack to watch a bunch of cards drive in a circle (oval, whatever) for hours on end.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Is it a sport or not argument aside, I find NASCAR painfully boring and I can sit down and watch the PGA...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Flikken posted:

So yeah it is a sport

Ah yes the physical exertion of sitting for hours and driving

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eli Wiggum posted:

As someone who knows nothing about NASCAR, what's the difference between "The Chase for the Championship" and what they were doing before?

Basically, before the chase, it was whoever had the best average finish (with a couple bonuses for leading a lap and leading the most laps in a race) won the championship.

Then Matt Kenseth came along, and won the championship while only winning one race. Mind you, this was when NASCAR was really taking off.

So they changed everything to emphasize wins more, with a "win and you're in" thing for the last part of the season where only a dozen drivers could win the Cup. Then the made it sort of round based where you can win and automatically move on, and then the best finisher of the remaining drivers in the last race wins it all.

They're constantly changing it too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant imagine actually going to a racetrack to watch a bunch of cards drive in a circle (oval, whatever) for hours on end.

Road courses are more fun, if you ask me (obviously some people will disagree and that's just fine), but it's harder to see all the action at once.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

iospace posted:

From what I understand, part of why they're so popular is because you can build a 100k person grandstand on the front stretch.

Fair, although it was kind of funny seeing Bristol slowly turn into a literal bowl

Eli Wiggum posted:

Imagine if you had the playoffs and still let everyone else compete for funsies

It used to be who had the most points at the end of the season won, like a Soccer league

But they wanted to have the drama of "playoffs" but didn't want to reduce the 43 car field so for the last ten races of the season the scores were reset and only the top 10 racers in the points could keep racing for points and the other people were just there for the gently caress of it.

Then they decided they wanted wins to matter more than points and created an even worse system

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Metapod posted:

Well it gets hot in there and also sometimes you have to turn

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Metapod posted:

These guys are being put under similar exertions as fighter pilots.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

iospace posted:

They're constantly changing it too.

I legit have no idea how they determine the rules anymore and I bet 60% of fans can't either

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flikken posted:

Yup. There was a CART race scheduled for Texas Motor Speedway. It's a high banked oval. In 900+ HP cars.

They had to cancel the race because they were pulling so much Gs in the turns there were gray-outs and g-LOC concerns.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NHRA moved to a playoff style format, but given the nature of drag racing, no one really noticed in the end.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Flikken posted:

Counterargument --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fB1IcTD48

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
If it ain't got Cole Trickle, I ain't watching :colbert:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see some of the same people arguing that car racing isn't a sport get into a Nascar or whatever and try to drive it because the argument is always

Metapod posted:

Like it's some super easy thing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

don't you loving talk poo poo about Dick Trickle hockles

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
lol at goons poo poo-talking auto racing while sitting behind a keyboard

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I only went to a single NASCAR race back when I was a kid, but it was a lot of fun. Simply standing next to the track as 40+ cars rush past at 170 miles an hour is a hell of a rush.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'd love to see some of the same people arguing that car racing isn't a sport get into a Nascar or whatever and try to drive it because the argument is always

I remember back when NASCAR used to have celebrities sit in the passenger side of a car during pre-race and the result was always pants-wetting terror

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Joey Freshwater posted:

Like it's some super easy thing

I'll do it, get me all the stuff

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trickle :smith:

He... went out in a very sad way.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Mel Mudkiper posted:

don't you loving talk poo poo about Dick Trickle hockles

I'm not poo poo-talking it. Those guys have reflexes much faster than mine. But, it's 2017 and we have to be accepting of all competitions being identified as sports and the participants identifying as athletes. Much like the Magic The Gathering tournaments that were on ESPN 2 at 4:30am 15-20 years ago.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Flikken posted:

I see no cars shooting bullets

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

fffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

We used to call celebrating something prematurely a "Dick Trickle Burnout"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remember back when NASCAR used to have celebrities sit in the passenger side of a car during pre-race and the result was always pants-wetting terror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcbsi8itHw&t=230s

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Plus nascar was the sport that gave us Jocko Flocko, the monkey that rode along during a race and they had to stop the race because he attacked the driver.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My all time favorite Nascar moment was when Elliot Sadler after crashing at Talladega said "I just want to finish the next race here on all four wheels"

He then finished the next race at Talladega literally upside-down across the finish line

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, some people only watch racing to maybe catch something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/Mk7Efsp.mp4

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
did I just watch someone die

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eli Wiggum posted:

did I just watch someone die

Nope! Walked away. Won a race a month later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

No and the car that ran beneath won the race.

• Locked thread