Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What is the possible takeaway besides "gently caress gently caress gently caress"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

call to action posted:

What is the possible takeaway besides "gently caress gently caress gently caress"?

Actions to better yourself and your circumstances in order to be more resilient to impeding civil and economic unrest under harsher environmental conditions.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

call to action posted:

The opportunity to live out a fantasy and have an all-consuming threat to fight to your (probably literal) dying breath against. As much as I'd prefer to remain alive, if it's going down this way I'm thrilled to not waste away demented in a nursing home like my parents and grandparents did.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Actions to better yourself and your circumstances in order to be more resilient to impeding civil and economic unrest under harsher environmental conditions.

also this.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ol Standard Retard posted:

The opportunity to live out a fantasy and have an all-consuming threat to fight to your (probably literal) dying breath against. As much as I'd prefer to remain alive, if it's going down this way I'm thrilled to not waste away demented in a nursing home like my parents and grandparents did.

I don't get this. What is the loving point of fighting a battle that you know you will lose?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't get this. What is the loving point of fighting a battle that you know you will lose?

Couldn't you say the same thing in ideal conditions though? Even if the environment was in great shape we all eventually 'lose' (die)

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

call to action posted:

Make peace with your god. If it helps you rationalize it, realize that you have a decent chance of dying from cancer or getting murdered before climate change seriously starts impacting the world.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Burt Buckle posted:

Couldn't you say the same thing in ideal conditions though? Even if the environment was in great shape we all eventually 'lose' (die)

Yes, but then you'd direct your efforts into an actual legacy. An enduring work, a scientific discovery, a family. Yes, technically entropy claims us all but at least it would LAST. With this, why should I get a career if I know I will lose it in the inevitable collapse? Why get an SO if it means having someone to defend in the chaos? Why have children if they will live in pain? Why research something that will just be lost knowledge? I guess if you enjoy the process of it, you could get something out of it, but I have always been focused on results.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Most of the response I'm seeing to the NYM article from the climate community is "it's probably very hard to scare people into long-term thinking". I've been spreading it around alongside this.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Buckle posted:

The NY Mag article described the literal death of human civilization (though not extinction) within 100 years. Just because the sun was eventually going to swallow the earth doesn't mean we always had to endure a future where our children will live incredibly bleak futures within the timeframe of a single generation. I don't know about you, but I don't live my life like nothing I ever did will matter the instant I die.

And how exactly do we make ourselves more resilient, if that should indeed be the goal? Let me guess, discussion of victory gardens (while ignoring how one would keep them safe from the tens of millions of desperate, domestic climate refugees we are sure to face within 50 years)?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Yes, but then you'd direct your efforts into an actual legacy. An enduring work, a scientific discovery, a family. Yes, technically entropy claims us all but at least it would LAST. With this, why should I get a career if I know I will lose it in the inevitable collapse? Why get an SO if it means having someone to defend in the chaos? Why have children if they will live in pain? Why research something that will just be lost knowledge? I guess if you enjoy the process of it, you could get something out of it, but I have always been focused on results.

Nobody beyond your great-great grandchildren would remember you anyway.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I've been telling my friends about climate change for the last few years, but they dont seem to care. My family doesnt care. My girlfriend asks me why I bother, since its inevitable and I can't control it.

My hope now is that our AI gets sufficiently smart so someone somewhere can fill it with climate related stuff and ask it to come up with solutions.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lol climate change owns

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh, please.

Like you could achieve leaving any meaningful lasting legacy. You're the most loving disingenuous poster in this thread, just trying to spread your :sadbrains: in order to try and get positive reinforcement on your attitude of "it's impossible, so let's just wallow in self-pity". That's what you really want. You want a pat on the back, someone to tell you that yes, it's okay to be a loving waste of a human being, and climate change is a good excuse to never put effort into anything. It's not that you're dumb, incompetent, lazy, right? It's just that Climate Change so why bother doing anything? I'll just play videogames, watch netflix, and post on the internet all day while lamenting the fact that I won't be able to live the life of success promised to me by the American Dream because of all these pesky carbon emissions.

Get therapy.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

El Laucha posted:

I've been telling my friends about climate change for the last few years, but they dont seem to care. My family doesnt care. My girlfriend asks me why I bother, since its inevitable and I can't control it.

My hope now is that our AI gets sufficiently smart so someone somewhere can fill it with climate related stuff and ask it to come up with solutions.

Those people are a lot better off than we are, they're perfectly happy to live their lives in complacency and ignorance. They don't have to worry about the end of human civilization coming within their life time and are just happy to pretend like everything's gonna be okay. Maybe they'll be worse off in the few months inbetween everything going to hell and getting eaten by climate refugees, but that's a much smaller amount of time.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So has anyone here gone vegan or even attempted to significantly reduce their animal product intake? I've been considering it more and more heavily lately, and it is funny how emotionally hard it is to consider it as opposed to seeing myself buy solar panels or an electric car or something.

Even not going full vegan, but just trying to reduce to say like 5%-10% intake is met with shock by friends/family. It is just so strongly counter-culture that people think I've lost it. Mind these same are people that at least believe in climate change and have at least taken some personal steps to reduce consumption, fuel usage or whatever.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm on a waiting list. Thanks for your concern.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Even not going full vegan, but just trying to reduce to say like 5%-10% intake is met with shock by friends/family. It is just so strongly counter-culture that people think I've lost it. Mind these same are people that at least believe in climate change and have at least taken some personal steps to reduce consumption, fuel usage or whatever.

I know a lot of vegetarians but whenever I mention to my mom that I am reducing the amount of meat I eat, she immediately goes "Don't you DARE stop eating meat!"

Never understood why.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 10, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh, please.

Like you could achieve leaving any meaningful lasting legacy. You're the most loving disingenuous poster in this thread, just trying to spread your :sadbrains: in order to try and get positive reinforcement on your attitude of "it's impossible, so let's just wallow in self-pity". That's what you really want. You want a pat on the back, someone to tell you that yes, it's okay to be a loving waste of a human being, and climate change is a good excuse to never put effort into anything. It's not that you're dumb, incompetent, lazy, right? It's just that Climate Change so why bother doing anything? I'll just play videogames, watch netflix, and post on the internet all day while lamenting the fact that I won't be able to live the life of success promised to me by the American Dream because of all these pesky carbon emissions.

Get therapy.

I think this may actually be the dictionary definition of "projection"

If you can read that NY Mag article and start with this hateful bullshit, you're the one with the issue, bud. People that aren't concerned with the existential continuance of the human race are the ones that need therapy - that's you.

It's pretty loving gross to encounter people who are like "wow, this world may suck pretty hard for my kids, and I like the Earth and want to preserve it" with "well BUCK UP buttercup, you were never going to amount to poo poo anyway"

call to action fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 10, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So has anyone here gone vegan or even attempted to significantly reduce their animal product intake? I've been considering it more and more heavily lately, and it is funny how emotionally hard it is to consider it as opposed to seeing myself buy solar panels or an electric car or something.

Replace beef with chicken. It's not hard.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Even not going full vegan, but just trying to reduce to say like 5%-10% intake is met with shock by friends/family, it is just so strongly counter-culture that people think I've lost it. Mind these same are people that at least believe in climate change and have at least taken some personal steps to reduce consumption, fuel usage or whatever.

Sure, I've deliberately stopped eating beef, when I can I source produce locally. I'm also being super mindful of my engagement with consumerism, like, I don't buy stuff any more. I buy food and entertainment, not much else. When I buy necessary clothes or other durable goods, I source durable, quality stuff regardless of cost and prioritize that in my decisions. I'm also starting to... not proselytize but maybe just more overtly demonstrate this part of my life and my decisions.

Like you I've been met with some shock and honestly, anger by my friends and family (even my wife) with this stuff. It doesn't make a big difference but if these fuckers are going to kill me I'm at least dying with a sense of smug superiority.

AceOfFlames posted:

Please.

Get.

Help.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Please.

Get.

Help.

I'd argue someone who thinks that going vegan is going to amount to literally anything, climate wise, may want to get help. It's not substantiated by any evidence.

On the other hand, there's a LOT of evidence saying that humans will be living a poo poo existence within the lifetime of your children!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Replace beef with chicken. It's not hard.

I actually did this part pretty successfully a while ago. But honestly even chicken production is pretty bad for the environment too when it comes to the amount of grain/water/land use/waste products compared to going truly plant based.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cutting out red meat for the sake of the environment is a waste of your time and effort, you should cut out red meat because it's bad for you. I eat red meat like once every couple months, because that's how often I eat out rather than making my own food.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

call to action posted:

I think this may actually be the dictionary definition of "projection"

If you can read that NY Mag article and start with this hateful bullshit, you're the one with the issue, bud. People that aren't concerned with the existential continuance of the human race are the ones that need therapy - that's you.

It's pretty loving gross to encounter people who are like "wow, this world may suck pretty hard for my kids, and I like the Earth and want to preserve it" with "well BUCK UP buttercup, you were never going to amount to poo poo anyway"

Humans and their civilization have no inherent worth, there's no reason for your existence, and everything is going disappear one day. This has always been true and learning to cope with it isn't the purview of this thread.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Cutting out red meat for the sake of the environment is a waste of your time and effort, you should cut out red meat because it's bad for you. I eat red meat like once every couple months, because that's how often I eat out rather than making my own food.

Well that is certainly one of the nicer parts of attempting to go meatless. It is something that will tangibly make you healthier at the same time.

call to action posted:

I'd argue someone who thinks that going vegan is going to amount to literally anything, climate wise, may want to get help. It's not substantiated by any evidence.

On the other hand, there's a LOT of evidence saying that humans will be living a poo poo existence within the lifetime of your children!

Sorry for being an optimist, but I believe that we can fight to save our civilization, and that every person needs to start with themselves before they can be effective in changing things on a broader scale! I'm not afraid of our future, sorry if that means you think I need therapy.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Personally I'm glad we're going down the "individual actions are meaningless" rabbit hole for the 130th time.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

pacmania90 posted:

Humans and their civilization have no inherent worth, there's no reason for your existence, and everything is going disappear one day. This has always been true and learning to cope with it isn't the purview of this thread.

This is such a retarded line of thought. It could be used to justify anything: "durr why ever feel anything about anything because you're gonna die"

I'm really glad the folks that beat the Nazis and put us on the moon didn't succumb to this incredibly nihilistic thought process. I'm really glad they didn't just let poo poo happen because death exists.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Sorry for being an optimist, but I believe that we can fight to save our civilization, and that every person needs to start with themselves before they can be effective in changing things on a broader scale! I'm not afraid of our future, sorry if that means you think I need therapy.

There's never a need to apologize for your mental health! I mean, it'd probably be better for you to realize that your actions are a defense mechanism against the reality that insane climate change is now 100% locked in, but you do you.

There's no reason to be anti-science, guys. Optimism and lovely half-measures aren't worth discussing, because the emerging consensus is that even stopping all emissions yesterday will have already locked us into a climate apocalypse.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

call to action posted:

This is such a retarded line of thought. It could be used to justify anything: "durr why ever feel anything about anything because you're gonna die"

That's almost verbatim my father when I told him I'm an atheist.

Not sharing in your beliefs as to what constitutes meaning and purpose in life (in my father's case, a loving God and rewarding Afterlife) doesn't equal with nihilism.

Your views are merely being called dumb and narrow-minded.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

call to action posted:

There's never a need to apologize for your mental health!

lol

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

call to action posted:

I'm really glad the folks that beat the Nazis and put us on the moon didn't succumb to this incredibly nihilistic thought process. I'm really glad they didn't just let poo poo happen because death exists.

There's never a need to apologize for your mental health! I mean, it'd probably be better for you to realize that your actions are a defense mechanism against the reality that insane climate change is now 100% locked in, but you do you.

There's no reason to be anti-science, guys. Optimism and lovely half-measures aren't worth discussing, because the emerging consensus is that even stopping all emissions yesterday will have already locked us into a climate apocalypse.

The mental disparity between these two responses is awe-inspiring.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Cutting out red meat for the sake of the environment is a waste of your time and effort, you should cut out red meat because it's bad for you.

This is only true for red meats that are high in fat.

And even then, consuming them in moderate amounts is perfectly fine (unless your family has a history of heart disease).

In any case, the whole "just stop eating meat" thing is pretty dumb. Even if the entire world stopped eating meat tomorrow, the effects on climate change would be quite negligible.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Personally I'm glad we're going down the "individual actions are meaningless" rabbit hole for the 130th time.

Well, in that case, I might as well knife the next climatechange-denier I meet.

E: I mean, be the change you want to see in the world and all that.

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 10, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

We still remember king Leonidas :black101:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

That NY mag article probably didn't need to bring up the Fermi paradox and anoxic ocean extinction events, it was already pretty grim reading. Although it's pretty interesting to think just a few decades of unrestrained post WW-II global capitalism could potentially cause a global mass extinction event. The Communists never had a chance!

Having read the article I've changed my mind and think it's possible people will try sulfate aerosol geo-engineering or ocean-fertilization carbon capture in the next couple of decades. It's too easy not to do, and the global consensus on geo-engineering could change pretty quickly after a few global-heatwaves and failed cereal crop harvests. I'm not saying these efforts will work, just that the international community will allow them to proceed so as to appear to be doing something.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Just bow to Ahriman if that makes your conscience cleaner.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Feral Integral posted:

Nope, eugenics is evil.

If you actually read what I wrote you’ll see that’s exactly what I said.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess if you enjoy the process of it, you could get something out of it, but I have always been focused on results.
There are no 'results' to life. It's all just process. Enjoy the journey because the destination is the same for everybody.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Wait wait wait, let's step back a minute:

Since when did Interstellar have a plot?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's a stunning amount of climate denial in that comment field.

Some nuggets:

quote:

The real danger is that we will all die of laughter from the ludicrous imaginary boogeymen invented by the Climate Communists. It's hard to tell where the lies end and the exaggeration begins. The Road Warrior wasn't about climate change, it was originally about an oil shortage. Oh, and the kidney disease thing - priceless. Global warming is going to melt the icecaps, and turn us into water-world, and we're all going to die of thirst while being swept away in the floods. Jiminy tap-dancing crickets! Even if Climate change were real, it would be one of the greatest blessings ever bestowed on mankind.

quote:

In simplest terms, the computer models have been proven wrong by 18 years of temperature data. The fraud (or just bad science...your choice) is up. Apocalyptic articles this the nymag writer here are from a fragmented mind unable to process the evidence. A great reawakening is under way. People aren't buying the science or the hype which over the last 10+ years has pretty much been the same thing. Appeals to authority won't work anymore.

quote:

This is such an irresponsible article. There may be people with weak minds who believe this nonsense. Every year, even though there has been no warming for 20 years, we hear even more dire predictions. For those of you who care about truth, and not propaganda, none of these things are going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gonna be fantastic when all those people die

hopefully it'll happen slightly sooner than myself